Helpful Reply11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9233
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/14 15:54:46 (permalink)
Perhaps tonight's dinner party will have an interesting story tomorrow...fortunately Taco Bell and McDonald's are nearby so no one will go hungry.

MilwFoodlovers
I can confirm that the food at Pho Hai Tuyet is at least as good as it always was. However their staffing is much smaller and I'd never seen the two people that were working there Monday night when we dined there. It also has a sign that calls itself Pho Hai Tuyet II which was the name for their now shuttered Mequon location. Strange. The Banh Mi was still the bomb as were the fresh spring rolls and pho.  Someone I swim with went around lunch time Tuesday or Wednesday and found no one inside. She yelled out a few hellos  before leaving. Strange. She had better luck the next day at lunch. There were no problems the night I dined there.

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/11/14 15:55:51
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3659
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/14 16:04:56 (permalink)
Is Hughes Chocolate in Oshkosh?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3659
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/14 16:43:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2014/11/14 17:01:59
ScreamingChicken
Perhaps tonight's dinner party will have an interesting story tomorrow...fortunately Taco Bell and McDonald's are nearby so no one will go hungry.

Don't forget Arby's and Subway!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/14 17:02:48 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
ScreamingChicken

Don't forget Arby's and Subway!

If that's the case, I'll be waiting for you at Kopp's.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5325
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/15 08:29:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2014/11/15 08:42:38
I ate very regionally appropriate last night at Jeff's on Rugby, in Oshkosh!  This was my first fish fry, and it was fantastic.  I never had fresh water fish taste so good.

See you all soon!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/15 08:32:53 (permalink)
Looking forward to it, Joe!

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/15 08:52:50 (permalink)
While in Theresa my son suggested a stop at:
Confections For Any Occasion
101 N Milwaukee St
Theresa, WI 53091
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/15 08:55:12 (permalink)
I am game......
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/15 22:04:25 (permalink)
Wonderful seeing the contingent friends. And of course, meeting my friend, Joe Rogo.
post edited by ann peeples - 2014/11/15 22:36:07
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11892
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 01:04:05 (permalink)
ann peeples
Wonderful seeing the contingent friends. And of course, meeting my friend, Joe Rogo.

You're home already?  Not nearly enough time to harass joerogo!  Hope you all had a great time.  Of course you did!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 17:06:05 (permalink)
It was great seeing our Contingent friends and meeting Joe.

My highlights:
  • The late addition of Confections for any Occasion.
  • Loading up on meats at Edens Meats fantastic butcher counter.
  • Stretching lunch into the Pie Happy Hour at Schreiner's, then having every pie on the menu ordered by someone at the table.
  • Merc's big & small at the Mercury Marine Museum.
  • Joe's Fox Hut pizza and cold Schlitz.
  • The King Size prime rib cut at Wendt's.
  • Black Licorice ice cream at Kelley's.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 17:20:43 (permalink)
Where's the trip report?  Where are the pictures?  You guys gonna make the rest of wait forever???
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 17:22:02 (permalink)
lleechef
Where's the trip report?  Where are the pictures?  You guys gonna make the rest of wait forever???

The Official Photographer of the Contingent uses a camera. A film camera.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 18:25:34 (permalink)
I gotta agree about the pizza, Jim. That was a great unexpected addition to the day. And Bryannas bakery had great sweets-and really inexpensive.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12589
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 19:34:23 (permalink)
JRPfeff

• Stretching lunch into the Pie Happy Hour at Schreiner's, then having every pie on the menu ordered by someone at the table.
So glad to read that ChiTownDiner made it after all!

ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 19:43:52 (permalink)
Heck, BB-we did just fine on our own!!!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12589
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 19:47:36 (permalink)
Way to go Ann!!!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 19:52:48 (permalink)
JRPfeff
lleechef

The Official Photographer of the Contingent uses a camera. A film camera.

What?  Film?  What's that?  Oh.......maybe MH did NOT go to the Waffle House yesterday after all.......sneaked off and took pics with his Kodak Instamatic. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 20:03:48 (permalink)
I don't have an Instamatic. I have three Nikons, an FM, an FE and something called a D70. the last one doesn't work. I've had it for five or six years, but I've never been able to figure out how to load the film into it.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/16 22:38:37 (permalink)
There's only 1 photo that really matters:

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 00:44:26 (permalink)
It was a dandy tour with far more hits than misses.  Even the few stops that weren't big winners had their bright spots.

The best thing I got at Widmer's Cheese were photos of the processing area.  I might have been more interested in making a purchase or two, but we're still working through an awful lot of cheese we picked up in September at Cheese Days in Monroe, WI.

We got a few nice sweets at Confections For Any Occassion, but I was starting to feel the need for some real food.

Tucker's provided relief with an excellent version of what I call, The Lacy-Edged Griddle Burger.  One bite revealed the Burger Ideal that Culver's and Steak N Shake attempt to capture.  Don't get me wrong, of all the mega-corporate burger franchises out there, those two represent the best.  But the flavor and texture of Tucker's Burgers was revelatory.

Bryanna's Bakery was a wonderful addition to the trip.  If Bryanna's was located in a more diverse, more densely populated city, it would be called a "Panaderia".  They exhibit all the traditional traits of a Mexican Bakery: an upright, sliding door display case showing a wide variety of wares; tongs for grabbing said wares and trays on which to place your selections prior to purchase.

They also have a more standard display case showing a wide range of classic pastries.  We picked out a nice selection from both cases and tossed them in the trunk for later.  I didn't find out until we got home late last night just how good their baked goods are.  I cut off hunks from a chocolate croissant and a caramel empanada, popped them in the microwave for a few seconds to take the edge off, and went to town.

Both were luscious and satisfying.  The croissant was loaded with rich, dark chocolate in a tender, buttery crust.  The empanada was oozing with sweet, creamy caramel.  I can hardly wait to dive into the rest of our pastries tonight.

The weakest link of the day was Schreiner's and it still had some redeeming qualities.  Absolutely nothing wrong with this place, but the menu and preparation is geared toward a less than adventurous palate.  The Fried Chicken was good, but severely under-seasoned.  This seemed to be the case with everything I had there...EXCEPT--the Clam Chowder.  This New England version was brilliant!  So creamy, so rich, so flavorful--and complex flavors to boot.  I still can't figure out how the same kitchen that put out this fantastic soup could cook up such a bland fried chicken.

Schreiner's also makes their own excellent Root Beer.  It is a golden brew, more akin in appearance to Cream Soda than Root Beer, but all the right flavors were there, including a hint of licorice in the finish.

After walking off a few calories at the Mercury Marine Museum we all reconvened at Wendt's Supper Club.  Another winner for the day.  Excellent appetizers; crisp fried green beans and fried smelts started things off.  It was a tough choice between lobster and perch, but in the end Mrs. Roadhouse and I split a Queen Cut Prime Rib and a pile of Fried Perch.  The beef was top notch and cooked to a beautiful medium rare.  It was properly marbled and full of flavor.  The Perch could have gone up against any Lake Erie fish joint.

On the side, a dense, creamy Twice Baked Potato and a dish of crinkle cut carrots.  The spud was really good, but it was the carrots that are worth mentioning.  I'm not a big fan of carrots; certainly not raw, and only marginally when they're cooked.  I don't like my carrots overly sweet, and even prefer them with a splash of lemon to brighten them up.  These Carrots were just right; not to sweet, bordering on savory; and just the right balance between tender and crunchy.  I finished off the leftovers for lunch today and they were just as good as last night.

Our final stop, just as the snow was starting to move in and make the roads treacherous, was Kelley's Creamery.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I split a hunk of Warm Apple Crisp with a healthy scoop of Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream slowly melting over the top.  It was the perfect way to end a fine day with Roadfood friends.

Thanks to JRPfeff and Pie Diva for organizing.  Thanks to Gyp for providing transportation for ann peeples.  Thanks to SquawkingPullet for documenting the day on film.  Thanks to my daughter and SIL, abe_froeman and Mr. Maki, respectively, for helping with directions when the GPS got confused. Thanks to various spouses and offspring for putting up with our nonsense.  And thanks to joe rogo for making the effort.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2014/11/17 00:46:53
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 08:18:07 (permalink)
Many thanks to JRPfeff & Pie Diva(hiding behind Jim in photo )for doing the legwork to put this together.  It was a pleasure to meet everybody, the Contingent is indeed a one of a kind group.  I finally got to meet my buddy ann peeples, so that made the trip even better.

I didn't make it to all the stops, but for the ones I was at, I totally agree with the assessment above by  BuddyRoadhouse.  Most of all, I love Wisconsin!  The food traditions like Friday Night Fish Fry's and booze in gas stations immediately come to mind.

Hope to see everybody again in the Spring!

joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 08:51:25 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
There's only 1 photo that really matters:

I don't know Brad, I found two action shots. 

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 09:17:12 (permalink)
Yes, many thanks to JRP and PD for putting the day together!  Mrs. C and I found a couple of Fond du Lac promo magazines at the hotel and based on what we read the area has a lot more to offer than what we touched on.

Random thoughts: bummed about not visiting Joe's Fox Hut.  Don't get film processed at the Walgreens at Main & Pioneer.  Hopefully it was just an off day but the Sunday breakfast at Country Inn & Suites left a lot to be desired.  Don't tease your wife by saying that the family with the kids is going to be right next door because they'll wind up being across the hall.  Leroy Meats in Horicon makes some big brats and sausages.  A cheese factory is a humid place.

Widmer's Cheese Cellars (Theresa).  When they say "factory store" they mean it.

Confections For Any Occasion (Theresa).

Eden Meats (Eden).

Tucker's Hamburgers.  Because we all wanted apple dippers.  Or not.

Burgers on hard rolls?  Hey, Sheboygan's just down the road a piece.

Kristmas Kringle.  All Christmas all the time.  If they had a liquor license they'd make a killing.

Schreiner's.

The beef noodle soup had a lot of flavor.

The aforementioned fried chicken.  I liked the crisp, crumby crust but as Buddy noted the chicken could've used more seasoning.

The chowder was a big hit.  Schreiner's apparently does soup right but when the average customer is 93 years old that makes sense.

Heinz.  Making pie reasonably edible for over 140 years.

Bryanna's Bakery.

Oh boy...more fluorescent lighting!  I can't tell if Ann is pointing something out or reaching into another dimension, and wasn't that guy on the left in Black Sabbath for awhile?

At this point the rest of the group headed over to the Mercury Marine museum and Joe's Fox Hut while we checked in at our hotel and decompressed for awhile in preparation for dinner at Wendt's on the Lake.

The prime rib was fairly strongly seasoned and while I like my beef rare I think ordering it medium-rare would've done a better job of setting the seasoning.

Joerogo was ecstatic when our server told us the lake perch could've very well come from Lake Erie.

Mrs. C liked her perch wrap but felt that the fish kind of got lost in the other ingredients.

Gyp's seafood plate.  Deep-fried lobster, shrimp, and perch.

Happy Roadfooders at the end of a good day.

At this point we bowed out as a trip back to Eden for ice cream wasn't in the cards for us, especially as the snow had started to accumulate on the roads a bit (hopefully everyone made it home without trouble).  We really enjoyed the day and the company, and it was nice to finally get to meet Joerogo.  Only 6 months until Italian beef in Chicago!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 09:33:28 (permalink)
I, too, agree with Buddy's comments for the most part. Because of the Kosher household I live in for the moment, I was unable to purchase alot of things to take home-however, I did( the contingent reminded me that its cold enough outside to keep some items in our car!)
Widmers cheese factory has excellent cheese, and they make a brick cheese spread  that I had forgotten about. Yep, that went in my bag!
The cute candy store had some really neat stuff- I bought a small package of elk sausage sticks-great spicy flavor, easy chew, and a bit rich!
Shreiners, was, as Buddy said, average at best, but along with my lunch I asked for their red cabbage. Best I have ever had! Sweet and vinegary, it was the kind of stuff that almost takes your breath away if you try to eat too much in a bite.
I loved the bakery- i picked up several pastries-a simple sweet bread with bavarian cream piped in the middle, a cherry filled croissant, and several danish pastries( one with peaches and cream cheese, a couple of mixed berry) Fantastic all around-Bob inhaled them when I got home. He was kind enough to at least give me a bite of them.
Joes's Fox Hut was suggested by Gyp as the best pizza in Fond du Lac, and as we had time to kill before Wendts, we decided to make that a snack.  Great, cracker thin crust( my favorite) well seasoned sausage, and lots of cheese! Pie Diva commented that you definately wouldnt need to order double cheese. Jrpfeff kindly paid for it( and took the leftovers home, as well he should have) I bet that pizza was great cold!
Wendts was the crown jewel of the day. I had the prime rib combo with perch, and it was divine. I asked if they got their perch from Lake Winnebego( which the restaurant overlooks) and our server stated it came from Lake Erie. So Joe traveled to Wisconsin for Erie perch!!!
It was a wonderful day, and Gyp and I had a great time as he drove us around. Thanks to him! And always wonderful to see everyone, and am glad I am in a position to do more of these get togethers. And Joe. What can I say about Joe..
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 12:03:38 (permalink)
What can anybody say about Joe?  He lives within driving distance from Lake Erie.  But noooooooo, he had to go to Wisconsin to get lake perch.  And no Hawaiian shirt.  Sheesh.

Looks like you all had a great time.  Thanks for the pictures! 
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 15:03:56 (permalink)
lleechef
What can anybody say about Joe?  He lives within driving distance from Lake Erie.  But noooooooo, he had to go to Wisconsin to get lake perch.  And no Hawaiian shirt.  Sheesh.

Tell Michael Hoffman I'll meet him in Cleveland and we'll go perch fishing   
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 16:23:01 (permalink)
joerogo
lleechef

Tell Michael Hoffman I'll meet him in Cleveland and we'll go perch fishing   

Only if you wear a Hawaiian shirt and let me fish too. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 16:26:28 (permalink)
If you want some great yellow perch fishing you have to fish the Western basin around Port Clinton. Of course, if you're in Port Clinton you can skip the fishing and go eat some perch at Jolly Roger.
 But you don't have to wear a special shirt for that.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 11/15/14 Fond du Lac E&G - Contingent on adequate interest 2014/11/17 20:18:24 (permalink)
ann peeples
Joes's Fox Hut was suggested by Gyp as the best pizza in Fond du Lac, and as we had time to kill before Wendts, we decided to make that a snack.  Great, cracker thin crust( my favorite) well seasoned sausage, and lots of cheese! Pie Diva commented that you definately wouldnt need to order double cheese. Jrpfeff kindly paid for it( and took the leftovers home, as well he should have) I bet that pizza was great cold!

Ann - That pizza was amazing cold. The sauce was really spicy, which I didn't pick up on when it was hot.

Jim
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5