Helpful ReplyHot!2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 23rd

Page: << < ..161718 Showing page 18 of 18
Author
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 499
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/23 14:22:14 (permalink)
CNW
I have been to Meshuggah many times as they are the only locally owned bagel shop in town. Terrific bagels and those who have tried the lox and whitefish salad say that they are wonderful. They have 2 more locations opening soon.

I might try to go one day, maybe the day I arrive. I love salty lox on a warm bagel.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 756
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/23 20:00:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/23 20:38:25
1bbqboy

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 821
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/23 23:58:29 (permalink)
I'm still trying to convince Mr. Maki on this one.  I think our biggest reservation is taking the time off work (if we come in on Wednesday, it would mean two days for me, three days for him.)

How close are we to an itinerary for Wednesday and Thursday?  If we drive in with the Roadhouses, Wednesday would be driving (and whatever stops they have planned)...what's going on Thursday?  If Friday is when the really important stuff starts, it wouldn't be too much trouble for him to just take Friday off and we would fly in Thursday night.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5432
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/24 02:07:50 (permalink)
You shouldn't worry about what you'll be missing, but focusing on the good stuff you'll be part of whenever you get there.  Nothing is officially planned for Wednesday, and even if you miss Thursday, there'll be tons of stuff planned for the other two days, plus Sunday lunch at Stroud's.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4320
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/24 10:04:12 (permalink)
With less then four weeks to go, I would like to round out my itinerary, often called the spreadsheet.  We've got 90% of the Home - Springfield - St Louis - Booche Pool Hall - KC arrival done, just don't want to double dip if I can avoid it. 

Also, for anyone flying in and not purchased tickets yet, there is often a big difference at 21 days.  
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/25 15:13:09 (permalink)
Just a quick question. How does Krekel's in Springfield compare to the other burger and custard places that have been talked about in Springfield. M thinking about my trip home after KC.
Thanks.
David
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/25 16:28:14 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
With less then four weeks to go, I would like to round out my itinerary, often called the spreadsheet.  We've got 90% of the Home - Springfield - St Louis - Booche Pool Hall - KC arrival done, just don't want to double dip if I can avoid it. 

Can I ask what this actually means? I'm afraid I don't understand what you're referring to with the Home - Springfield - St Louis - Booche Pool Hall - KC arrival. Do you need arrival times or something from people attending? Sorry to be so obtuse!
David
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5259
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/25 17:44:26 (permalink)
What's scary is I do know what he means.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/25 19:21:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2017/03/25 19:39:24
David,
Answers to your questions, in order:

Despite their local reputation and history, we were unimpressed with Krekel's.  A far better smashdown Burger can be found, believe it or not, at Fulgenzi's Pizza & Pasta.  They're a midpriced fast food Italian joint serving a wide ranging menu.  IIRC, we'd read about their Burgers over at LTHForum.com.  Treat yourself to a double as the single version of this Burger genre tends to very skinny.

Also, Krekel's Frozen Custard, which they built their reputation on, was just okay.

As for the other thing, don't pay too much attention to anything ChiTownDiner writes.  He's a disturbed individual whose only redeeming quality is his willingness to pick up the check every once in a while.

Seriously though, CTD likes to be well prepared.  I think we've discussed his (in)famous Spreadsheets in the past.  He does his research about where he's going and what he wants to eat once he gets there.  It's all then carefully logged like a highly detailed train schedule with arrival and departure times for each stop.

His reference to "Home - Springfield - St Louis - Booche Pool Hall - KC arrival" is simply a description of his route (Booches Pool Hall is an authentic 19th century establishment in Columbia, MO, serving a damn tasty Burger in a "time capsule" ambiance.  A tiny bit pricy for a Burger, but worth having the experience at least once).  I believe he's planning a secondary itinerary (he'll be arriving a day early) which is why he wants to see ours.  That's where the "no double dipping" comes into the equation.  He doesn't want any redundancy between the two schedules.

Hope that answers your questions.

Buddy 
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/25 22:58:32 (permalink)
Thanks for the explanation! I'll look forward to the check being picked up. (Just kidding)

When he says he wants to see "ours", do you mean yours, or everyone?

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 01:50:28 (permalink)
Just the organizer's itinerary I'm guessing.  But if you have some side plans of your own, and would like to share, I don't think anyone will object.

Honestly though, except for the Wednesday before the tour officially starts, I can't imagine where he'll squeeze in any extra stops.  We've got a very full roster, including some backup picks, in case we get ahead of schedule and need to kill some time.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 02:46:48 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Just the organizer's itinerary I'm guessing.  But if you have some side plans of your own, and would like to share, I don't think anyone will object.

Honestly though, except for the Wednesday before the tour officially starts, I can't imagine where he'll squeeze in any extra stops.  We've got a very full roster, including some backup picks, in case we get ahead of schedule and need to kill some time.

Buddy

My only side plan is that I'm leaving on Tuesday, spending the night in St. Louis and then coming in to KC on Wednesday afternoon. I'm planning on going to SLAPS for lunch. I know the crawl is going there, but I loved it so much when I was there in Oct., 2015, I wanted to go back. I'll probably go to the Botanical Gardens in Overland Park after lunch. I might stop at Heirloom Bakery and/or Andre's Confiserie Suisse for a snack after the Gardens and before dinner.

I was going to go to Q39 for dinner, because I had heard about it from several colleagues, and the crawl isn't going there. Unless there's something going on with the crawl that night.

By the way, are we supposed to say where we're staying? Give the organizers emails or cell phone numbers in case of changes? This is so new to me, I haven't a clue.

David 

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 03:31:22 (permalink)
A fellow late-nighter, I see.  Too bad the Grand Emporium, KC's famed jazz and blues club, is out of business.  We could have grabbed an after Crawl show.  I hear they used to serve some pretty good 'Que, too.

We'll get around to sharing contact info as we get a little closer to the tour.  Last year, in Pittsburgh, Ralph Melton set up a group text system so we could all stay in touch and share photos during the day.

There are no official Crawl plans for Wednesday.  If you're going to be in KC as of Wednesday afternoon, you might try to cross paths with ChiTownDiner and ChiBears15.  They should be arriving at about the same time.  Heck, you might even be in St. Louis together.  We'll be driving in most of the day, but if we get an early enough start (stop snickering CTD), we might get into town in time for a late dinner or early dessert/nightcap.  We'll try to stay in touch as we travel during the day.

Q39 wouldn't be a bad choice.  As I said, the food was pretty good, but there was level of conceit in the service we found off-putting.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 07:32:06 (permalink)
Grace's chili was the best. BBQ brisket for the meat in the chili
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4320
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 09:29:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/03/26 11:49:19
David - I believe Buddy pretty accurately summed up my post.  Just trying to make sure that whatever the organizers - Chris & Jeff - put together, we - Danny (ChiBears15) & me - don't visit twice.  I've never been to KC so it's all new to me.  Having dined with them before, I am counting on Chris & Jeff to cover all the bases.  Just want to fill in some holes on Wednesday, perhaps some early mornings and Sunday morning.  

Danny & I will also be in St. Louis on Tuesday night.  I have almost worked out our final lists of stops for that portion of the trip and will send you a copy via PM in a week or so.  

We typically do set-up a cell phone exchange and Ralph Melton has graciously set-up an even better system of group notifications in the past.  I would be expecting Chris and Jeff to set-up a cell phone tree after the schedule is released.  
As for hotels, Danny and I are both staying at Hyatt Place in Overland Park.  I know Dale (wanderingjew) is a few minutes away and Joe Rogo is almost next door.  

Buddy - Thanks for the explanation...we have traveled together a time or two!  Danny and I will probably finalize our initial itinerary tomorrow evening.  
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 11:23:30 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
David - I believe Buddy pretty accurately summed up my post.  Just trying to make sure that whatever the organizers - Chris & Jeff - put together, we - Danny (ChiBears15) & me - don't visit twice.  I've never been to KC so it's all new to me.  Having dined with them before, I am counting on Chris & Jeff to cover all the bases.  Just want to fill in some holes on Wednesday, perhaps some early mornings and Sunday morning.  

Danny & I will also be in St. Louis on Tuesday night.  I have almost worked out our final lists of stops for that portion of the trip and will send you a copy via PM in a week or so.  

We typically do set-up a cell phone exchange and Ralph Melton has graciously set-up an even better system of group notifications in the past.  I would be expecting Chris and Jeff to set-up a cell phone tree after the schedule is released.  
As for hotels, Danny and I are both staying at Hyatt Place in Overland Park.  I know Dale (wanderingjew) is a few minutes away and Joe Rogo is almost next door.  

Buddy - Thanks for the explanation...we have traveled together a time or two!  Danny and I will probably finalize our initial itinerary tomorrow evening.  

Great. I'll look forward to the final plans.

My basic plan in St. Louis at this point is to go to Bogart's for lunch (if I actually get there in time), the Botanical Gardens, Park Avenue and Ted Drews. And maybe Gooey Louie's. Not sure about dinner, maybe Pappy's. 

In KC I'm actually staying at the Westin at Crown Center. It's pretty expensive, but I had stayed there before (when it was paid for by the CSO) and liked it. I found a way to justify it in my mind, more or less.

David

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9744
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 11:52:07 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ChiTownDiner

Great. I'll look forward to the final plans.

My basic plan in St. Louis at this point is to go to Bogart's for lunch (if I actually get there in time), the Botanical Gardens, Park Avenue and Ted Drews. And maybe Gooey Louie's. Not sure about dinner, maybe Pappy's. 

In KC I'm actually staying at the Westin at Crown Center. It's pretty expensive, but I had stayed there before (when it was paid for by the CSO) and liked it. I found a way to justify it in my mind, more or less.

David

That's correct. Friday and Saturday night I'm staying at La Quinta in Lenexa. It's 10 minutes away from the Hyatt in Overland Park and for a $40 deal on priceline I couldn't turn it down. Sunday Night I'm staying in the heart of Westport so I can be a hop, skip and a jump from my favorite coffee house, Broadway Cafe
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/03/26 11:53:16
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4412
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 11:59:24 (permalink)
Nice deal Dale.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7537
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/26 20:38:42 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Not sure about dinner, maybe Pappy's.

I was at Pappy's about 3 weeks ago and the green beans were terrific.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4938
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 12:38:35 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Davidsanders

Hey SC, Come on down with CTD & Danny! I'm sure they'll let you sit up front.  
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 12:40:14 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Davidsanders

Can you compare Pappy's to Roper's Ribs? 
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 13:56:53 (permalink)
So you have a free evening meal in Crown Center/DT, David? Are you open to non BBQ?
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 14:04:55 (permalink)
1bbqboy
So you have a free evening meal in Crown Center/DT, David? Are you open to non BBQ?

I'm figuring on three meals in St. Louis, Tuesday lunch and dinner, and Sunday dinner. I'm assuming I'll be able to eat dinner after Stroud's starting at 11 am. I'm open to non bbq, and have been considering O'Connell's, which I read about on Buffetbuster's trip reports. Any suggestions?

1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 14:49:06 (permalink)
No, I meant in KC, though O'Connell's
should be on your list.
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 14:55:19 (permalink)
1bbqboy
should be on your list.

Oh, sorry, of course. I missread your question.
I had thought about Q39, because it's not on the crawl, but I'm always open to suggestions.
And thanks for the recommendation of O'Connells. It looks like it would be a really good choice.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/27 14:58:54 (permalink)
Davidsanders
1bbqboy
should be on your list.

Oh, sorry, of course. I missread your question.
I had thought about Q39, because it's not on the crawl, but I'm always open to suggestions.
And thanks for the recommendation of O'Connells. It looks like it would be a really good choice.

I've got a few ideas. I'll get back to you.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7537
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/28 08:23:15 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ScreamingChicken

Unfortunately I haven't yet been to Roper's so I can't offer any insight.  However, I'll likely be in St. Louis again between now and late April and if I get the chance to go to Roper's I'll let you know how things turn out.

O'Connell's (suggested indirectly by The Travelin' Man via MilwFoodLovers) is on my St. Louis to-do list as well.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/03/28 08:24:32
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9744
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2017/03/28 08:39:14 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Davidsanders
ScreamingChicken

Unfortunately I haven't yet been to Roper's so I can't offer any insight.  However, I'll likely be in St. Louis again between now and late April and if I get the chance to go to Roper's I'll let you know how things turn out.

O'Connell's (suggested indirectly by The Travelin' Man via MilwFoodLovers) is on my St. Louis to-do list as well.

Although I hate to make recommendations on restaurants I haven't visited in more than 5 years, I found out about O'Connell's from either the late Mayor Al or the late Poverty Pete and visited back in 2011. Their roast beef sandwich was a winner although I heard their burgers are no slouch as well

If you want to try toasted ravioli, then I'll have to recommend Lombardo's Trattoria or their sister restaurant, Angelos. Quijote visited recently and we both agree that they dance circles around the the very highly touted Charlie Gitto's

edit***

I've been to Roper's Ribs as well, it was the same year- 2011- labor day weekend and every place was closed except Roper's Ribs and essentially they were out of most of everything except snoots which I really enjoyed.
It's my understanding that Pappy's Smokehouse is more "Memphis Style" bbq than St Louis Style. We will be re-visiting St Louis later this fall, our visit will likely fall on a Sunday and I'm currently looking into some bbq joints that serve both snoots and the other St Louis speciality, pork steak (or park steak as it's pronounced there)
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/03/28 08:42:50
Page: << < ..161718 Showing page 18 of 18
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5