Helpful ReplyHot!2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 23rd

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 25
Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
2016/10/17 02:34:01 (permalink)

2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 23rd

Since the where and when has been decided, I thought that I would start a new thread where we could discuss the nuts and bolts of the crawl. Over the next few months, I look forward to sharing with you my proposed stops; hearing from all of you where you would like to go; and ironing out the details of our weekend in Kansas City.

Like the original thread, I didn't want to start this thread as early as I have but my hand has been forced. I had dinner at Stroud's on Saturday and had an interesting discussion with one of the managers. It turns out that they won't seat a large party on Saturday nights. When I mentioned that I was expecting to bring a party between 20 and 30 people, I was given two (three) options: (added Sunday upon request)

1. Late Friday night, April 21st at 8:30 PM
2 Early Saturday Afternoon, April 22nd at 2:00 PM
3. Sunday Morning, April 23rd at 11:00 AM

Apparently space for large groups is at a premium and we need to get our name in the book ASAP in order to get our first choice. I have created a Doodle poll to get everyone's vote. I'd like to get our name in the book the first week of November, so I'm going to ask that all votes be in by October 31st.

http://doodle.com/poll/c78fwvz3y5nnty8h

Chris (CNW)

post edited by CNW - 2016/10/21 04:17:29
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5319
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/17 04:48:30 (permalink)
Which Srroud's? The Fairway or North location?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5630
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/17 06:41:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/10/17 17:25:54
I wasn't planning to do Stroud's on Friday or Saturday night.  A feast at Stroud's can't be appreciated on a full stomach.  The worst thing we could do is go through a long day of Barbecue stops plus other food distractions, then expect to fully enjoy piles of Fried Chicken, mounds of Mashed Potatoes, and bowls of Southern Style Green Beans, all smothered in thick Country Gravy.  Oh yeah, don't forget about the heaping baskets of Cinnamon Rolls.   Can I offer anyone an after dinner mint?  It's wafer thin... (you're welcome Monty Python fans).

A much better option, especially with a large group, will be to make a reservation at the Oak Ridge Manor location for right when they open at 11am on Sunday.  That way there won't be any prior food commitments leading up to our meal.  The Oak Ridge Manor location is the best option because of its proximity to I-35.  It will provide easy egress for folks who are driving home, and it's close enough to the airport for anyone flying.

As for the rest of the plan, I'm still working on specifics, but the general schedule looks like this:

***Thursday - We use this day to hit a series of non-Barbecue related spots with all the folks who arrive early.  This would include various Hamburger stands, Mexican Grilled Chicken, and Breaded Pork Tenderloins among others.  The day is capped off with a welcome dinner at Q39 which is a little more of an upscale Greasehouse.  Plus, they serve a Smoked Fried Chicken Dinner which is really unique.

***Friday - The main focus will be "white" Barbecue.  We hit three stops representing the best examples of the genre, while mixing in a few other non-Barbecue options (Pie, Ice Cream, etc.) and a non eating activity, TBD.

***Saturday - Looks a lot like Friday's schedule, but focusing on "black" Barbecue.

***Sunday - Farewell lunch at Stroud's.

Some may wonder about the limited number of Barbecue stops each day.  As I mentioned in my KC summary in the other thread, the drawback of a Barbecue Crawl is the sheer volume consumed at each location.  Every place we go, there's the potential to sample as many as 5 or 6 different meats, plus another half dozen side dishes and desserts.  Just a few bites of each item, times three different locations, can take its toll.  I just don't think it's realistic to make more than three BBQ stops per day, plus other non-'Que bites along the way.  If there's enough consensus among the group to do more, it will be no problem to add stops.

I've been consulting with Ardie Davis about narrowing down which 'Que Joints to hit.  Ardie is to Kansas City what Rick Sebak was to our Pittsburgh Crawl.  No, he's not on TV, but he's a published author several times over and regarded as the "man with the knowledge" when it come to KC BBQ.  I'm hesitant to announce specific choices at this point because I want to do some confirmation "research" when we visit KC over the Holidays.

So that's where we're at.  More info coming as it becomes available.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/10/17 15:52:50
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/17 08:42:32 (permalink)
For those interested, there's a NuWay in Leavenworth and a Maid-Rite in Lexington, both on the fringes of the Metro.
CNW
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 05:43:12 (permalink)
I went ahead and added Sunday morning as an option. I left out Sunday as an option because it traditionally has had the smallest participation in the past. Based upon previous discussions, I believe that Stroud's is the restaurant that we are looking forward to the most and therefore Sunday would be a bad choice for those who have a long drive ahead and have to be at work on Monday.

My preliminary planning varies the menu each day by dividing the city into sections. Each day would have a selection of BBQ, Fried Chicken, and Pork Tenderloin. I had Rye penciled in for dinner Thursday night as they are known for some very good fried chicken and pie. I had Q39 penciled in for Friday night and Stroud's for Saturday until I found out that we can't do it then.

I will be posting brief reviews of proposed stops on this thread over the next few months and invite others to do the same. Other than each evenings dinner I don't anticipate the need to make any reservations. I look forward to hearing from everyone

Chris (CNW)

P.S. One of my proposed stops is Mugs Up in Independence. You will be able to try an Iowa loose meat sandwich and some excellent homemade Rootbeer.
post edited by CNW - 2016/10/18 05:45:59
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 957
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 06:53:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2016/10/18 07:07:29
Having spent eight years in KC, I have the following non-BBQ recommendations:

L.C.'s Hamburgers
Northland.  Old-style greaseburgers, and still some of the best I've had anywhere.  They grill them with onions by default.  Get the double cheeseburger, with no veggies except the onions.  Maybe pickles.

Leo's Pizza
Also northland.  The best St. Louis-style pizza I've had outside of St. Louis - and definitely superior to Imo's.

Burrito Bros.
River Market area.  Options include the usual meats plus shrimp, eggs, portobello shrooms, and spinach.  When I went there, they had Valentina hot sauce on the tables.

1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 08:40:44 (permalink)
Mugs Up-great choice. What about Bichelmeyer's? Just a thought.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 580
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 17:04:29 (permalink)
Just curious. A colleague of mine who played in the Kansas City Symphony before joining the Chicago Symphony was telling me today about Jon Russell barbecue in KC. Does anyone know about it? I must say I didn't like the sound of the sauces, honey and spice, cherry chipotle, blueberry habanero, etc.
David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 17:16:41 (permalink)
Ketteract,
Couldn't agree more on LC's Burgers (again, not to be confused with LC's BBQ; two totally different, unrelated places), both on your assessment of quality, and choice of toppings (although I'd absolutely add the pickles).  While we may mock them now, people of a certain age grew up on McDonald's classic condiment combination of ketchup, mustard, pickles, and onion.

IMO (our current political climate has emboldened me to leave off the "H"), nothing else is needed.  Lettuce is an absolute waste of time, and the only time it's appropriate to add tomato is at the height of the season when they are ripe, red, and juicy; and only if a nice thick slice is available.  Other than that, the only questions to be asked are, Cheese or no Cheese, and raw or grilled onions.

I've never had Leo's Pizza, having decided long ago, after several tries, there isn't any good Pizza in KC.  I'm not sure a St. Louis style pie will sway my opinion, but may give them a try when we visit at Christmas.

Burritos haven't been high on my list in KC either.  I've been to many Mexican joints around town, ranging from humble Taquerias to full service restaurants, and just never thought to try one.  To be clear, I've got nothing against Burritos; I get them all the time here in Chicago.  It just never occurred to me that it might be worth trying out of town.

1bbqboy,
Bichelmeyer's is on my list as a possibility.  Although they do serve some prepared foods, they're primarily a butcher.  If enough participants bring coolers and want to buy stuff to bring home (as was the case in Cincinnati), they could easily become part of the tour.  Especially on a Saturday when they offer fresh, made in house Mexican foods.

CNW,
I understand your reasoning for not wanting to do Stroud's on Sunday.  It's true there was a small Sunday turnout both in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.  The Sunday choices in both cities were solid and worthwhile, but may have lacked the "Wow Factor" needed to make people want to stay the extra hour or two needed for that meal.

However, if you'll recall, we filled Burt's Place to capacity the Sunday of the Great ChicagoStyleHot Dog & ItalianBeef Tour.  Burt's carried the "Wow Factor" and I believe Stroud's passes that test as well.  Having eaten at Stroud's dozens of times over the last 36 years, I truly believe we would do both the restaurant and our guests a great disservice by scheduling it at the end of a food filled day.  Likewise, making it the first stop on Friday or Saturday will severely curtail full enjoyment of anything consumed afterwards.

We have different motivations and approaches in scheduling the event.  You're basing you're plan on geography; I'm thinking in terms of theme with the white/black BBQ concept.  I get the idea of mixing up the rundown for greater variety.  I would argue, however, since our main goal is Barbecue with a secondary focus on Chicken (fried or otherwise), we should divide up the schedule accordingly.

As I've stated, we've got our favorites in Stroud's (fried) and El Pollo Rey (otherwise).  There may be additional options for both, but is it worth having multiple Chicken stops each day?  As filling as BBQ can be, Chicken Dinners can offer their own challenges and take away from our 'Que objective.

Likewise with the Breaded Pork Tenderloin.  We're willing to concede our favorite, Christy's Tasty Queen may not be the best, and are happy to explore other possibilities.  Christy's does offer one advantage if the weather is good: they have no indoor seating, but a large, well shaded outdoor area with picnic tables.  It will provide a nice semi-rural setting and comfortable place to stop for a large group.  Still, I know there are others worth considering.

As for the whole notion of organizing by geography, I would say this, Kansas City ain't Chicago in terms of size or congestion.  I'm not suggesting we go about this at random.  We still need to create a logical route for each day.  I'm just not sure it's necessary to divide the city into sections when a solid system of interstates and state highways make it easy to traverse a reasonably compact area.

That's it for now.  Mrs. Roadhouse is on her way down to KC to see family for the next few days.  She'll try to do some advance scouting at Mugs Up and maybe some other places while she's there.

Be sure to sign up on the Doodle Poll for when we visit Stroud's.  Although it looks like someone is already playing games with it.

Buddy
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11357
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 17:25:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/10/18 19:05:21
I'm all for Stroud's on Sunday.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 17:29:59 (permalink)
David,
We've been to a couple of John Russell's locations and had good overall experiences.  It's tough to label them as a favorite in a city that is filled with good 'Que.  As a fellow Chicagoan, consider your favorite spot for an Italian Beef or CSD.  You may find other places worth trying occasionally, but unless you're bowled over, you'll still go back to your favorite.  John Russell's is like that; good in a pinch, but not your first choice.

I remember having the same reaction to their sauces.  We sampled more than one while trying to keep an open mind.  I don't remember any of them being particularly wonderful or distasteful.  Since most of my own sauces use Pineapple as a key ingredient, I think we found their Pineapple Poblano to be the most pleasing.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7802
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 17:40:34 (permalink)
So I take it John Russell's has no connection to the delectably delicious Russell's Barbecue of the Chicago suburbs?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 17:50:13 (permalink)
Now you're just being mean.

Buddy
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/18 18:44:06 (permalink)
The main reason I avoid most veggie toppings at L.C.'s is that they get in the way of the meat, cheese, and grease. For some upscale burger at a gastropub, sure, pile on the avocado or arugula or whatever, and I'll probably even love it - but for old-fashioned burgers, from a time when cardiac health was not well understood... no. Nothing comes in between me and my saturated fat.

I had a similarly bleak picture of pizza in Kansas City when I lived there. There were respectable places, but the only one I really loved was Leo's. I'm also a fan of the St. Louis style in general - I liked it from the very first time I tried it - and I was surprised to find such a wonderful example of it in KC, instead of St. Louis. I should also mention that Leo's resembles L.C.'s in being a longtime local fixture, a time-capsule on the inside, etc... something Roadfood folks would appreciate. 

The main thing for me about Burrito Bros. is the selection of ingredients. Not every place like that includes seafood, spinach, shrooms, or eggs. Maybe that's more common the closer you get to the Southwest? Dunno. Really more of an "if you have time" stop.
post edited by Ketteract - 2016/10/18 18:48:21
CNW
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 01:59:17 (permalink)
LC's and Leo's were on my short list for a short jaunt north of the river. I had El Pollo Rey penciled in on Saturday so that we could get street tacos at Bichelmeyer's (Saturday's only) a few blocks away. I also thought that we would start one day down in the River Market. Saturday mornings it is very similar to what we did in Pittsburgh on Saturday. I have photos but I can't figure out how to get the file size small enough to post them. Give me a little time and I will have them up
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 08:00:09 (permalink)
Niecie's In the mix?
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 08:42:56 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Niecie's In the mix?

Bill, I think you need to attend this one! 
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 10:39:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2016/10/19 12:35:10
If you're comin, Joe, I think I should. I know some real Italians. You'll feel right at home. :-) 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 15:14:23 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Niecie's In the mix?

Not sure yet.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I were unimpressed with a visit to their Raytown location on 63rd Street.  I guess their flagship store is more highly regarded, so I'd be willing to give it a try.  I think they're best known as a Breakfast place, and since that is not the most important meal of the day for me, Niecie's hasn't been a priority for us when we visit.  I know several respected Roadfooders love the place, so I'd wait to hear the general consensus from others planning to attend the event.

Buddy
CNW
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 18:00:32 (permalink)
I am with Buddy on this. I have been unimpressed with Niecie's for the past couple of years. The quality of the food and service is not what it used to be. They recently closed the second location in Raytown and I'm hoping that the quality will return to what it was now that the owner can concentrate on one location. I will make a couple of visits over the next few months to see if things have improved.

Now to one of the more controversial stops that I am proposing. A couple of miles on the north side of town is a little taco joint that has been around 1957 by the name of In-A-Tub Tacos. They are controversial because they serve a deep fried taco with powdered cheddar cheese on top. They come in Reg, Hot, and Extra Hot and you can get them with Beef, Bean, or Beef and Bean. The picture below is a Hot, Beef and Bean.

" />

" />

They are a tradition if you grew up north of the river and you either love them or hate them. For those who hate them, there is the option of a pocket burger. Their version of an Iowa loose meat sandwich. They come with Mustard, Onion, and Dill Pickle Relish. This one also had a slice of cheese added.

" />

It will be interesting to see the amount of interest in stopping here. I equate this style taco with a Chicago Style Dog. I like them very much and would like to include it as a stop but I understand people who don't care for them. Like me and Chicago Style dogs.

Chris (CNW)
post edited by CNW - 2016/10/20 03:39:05
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 18:11:10 (permalink)
CNW
Now to one of the more controversial stops that I am proposing. A couple of miles on the north side of town is a little taco joint that has been around 1957 by the name of In-A-Tub Tacos. They are controversial because they serve a deep fried taco with powdered cheddar cheese on top ...

They are a tradition if you grew up north of the river and you either love them or hate them. For those who hate them, there is the option of a pocket burger. Their version of an Iowa loose meat sandwich. They come with Mustard, Onion, and Dill Pickle Relish. This one also had a slice of cheese added.

Oh. My. God. I completely forgot about In-A-Tub.  I passed by them every day on my way to work at Cerner; it took too long for me to stop there, and when I finally did, I was well-rewarded.

LC's, Leo's, In-A-Tub.  Burrito Bros. is hereby bumped off my list.  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/19 18:11:45 (permalink)
While I'm sure this will be a fun Crawl and I'm sorry I won't be able to participate, I would like to insist on one thing:

Don't call it a K.C. Masterpiece.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/20 19:51:05 (permalink)
Count me as one of the folks who does NOT love In-A-Tub Tacos.  We tried them a few years back after reading about them here on Roadfood.  We happened to be staying near their N. Oak Trafficway location.  We might not have tried them at all, but they were directly on our route between our apartment and multiple trips to the local supermarket.  Finally, curiosity got the better of us and we decided it would be irresponsible not to try one.  Which is exactly what we did--tried ONE.  That was all I needed to be convinced this was not something I needed to try a second time.

However, I do recognize In-A-Tub's place in KC's culinary lore and see the value in including them in a tour of local food traditions.

However, with so many (more) worthwhile options, and limited time to visit them, I would put In-A-Tub on a list of alternates; using them strictly as a time filler if we somehow get ahead of schedule.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 688
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/21 11:54:42 (permalink)
April 21st? 
wouldn't you know -so far out-and it's the night we have Hamilton tix LOL
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2818
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/21 12:16:30 (permalink)
irisarbor
April 21st? 
wouldn't you know -so far out-and it's the night we have Hamilton tix LOL

irisarbor, I think you're really gonna love that show!!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/21 13:35:07 (permalink)
Grab dinner at Smoque and think of us.

Buddy
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 201
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/22 16:05:26 (permalink)
Buddy and Chris, I would like to get an early start on finding a hotel for the 2017 Crawl. What area is recommended for us our of towners who have never been to K.C.?
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/22 18:29:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/10/22 19:25:55
I'm not them, but the Plaza is where you want to be.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/22 19:01:45 (permalink)
I mentioned Southmoreland in the other thread.
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 201
Re: 2017 Kansas City Roadfood Crawl April 20th - 22nd 2016/10/22 19:29:48 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
I mentioned Southmoreland in the other thread.

Looks nice, but more $$$$ than I'm looking to spend unless they have a deal.

Thank you.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 25
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5