Helpful Reply2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination April 20th - 23rd

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 11 of 13
Author
Bonk
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1018
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/14 17:37:33 (permalink)
nagle
BuddyRoadhouse
billyboy
So, does this mean that Kansas City has been chosen for the 2017 Crawl?

A Labor Day cutoff for voting was suggested earlier in the thread.  However, it seems evident that Kansas City, in spite of some childish and vulgar fake entries (now deleted), will be the winner.
Buddy

I believe I may have suggested LaboUr Day earlier. But it sure looks like Kansas City is the preferred destination. I am all for calling it now and ending the childish stuff with the doodle poll.

Nagle

Are we sure it's even members that did that? Really, can't anyone on the InterWebs that reads this thread create a bogus handle on that poll and skew the voting? 

We'll figure out a better way next year.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/14 18:16:46 (permalink)
Bonk
nagle
BuddyRoadhouse
billyboy
So, does this mean that Kansas City has been chosen for the 2017 Crawl?

A Labor Day cutoff for voting was suggested earlier in the thread.  However, it seems evident that Kansas City, in spite of some childish and vulgar fake entries (now deleted), will be the winner.
Buddy

I believe I may have suggested LaboUr Day earlier. But it sure looks like Kansas City is the preferred destination. I am all for calling it now and ending the childish stuff with the doodle poll.

Nagle

Are we sure it's even members that did that? Really, can't anyone on the InterWebs that reads this thread create a bogus handle on that poll and skew the voting? 

We'll figure out a better way next year.

ChiBeers is a trained and registered hypnotist.  He mentioned to me he would be willing to hypnotize the group and only the group, and get the true feelings recorded.  I believe ChiBeers to be trustworthy enough in case some of our deepest secrets are revealed.   
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 04:59:41 (permalink)
Buddy did a great job of laying out most of what I had on the list. I certainly won't argue with him about the BBQ. I just have a few suggestions regarding other items.

Kansas City is also known for great Chili. A recent national article had three of the top 25 Chili parlors in the nation in the area. Dixon's in Independence was one of Harry Truman's stops; Woodyard BBQ in Kansas City, KS is known for their Burn't End Chili; and Porubsky's reviewed on this website by the Stern's is a short drive down the road in Topeka.

Buddy mentioned Murray's Ice Cream, but there are 2 more excellent ice cream shops to visit. The first one is Glace which is owned by Christopher Elbow our local chocolatier; and the second is Betty Rae's - a new shop that opened this summer in Kansas City.

There has been a growing opinion among the local foodies that Stroud's is second or three best in regards to Fried Chicken. The new kid on the block is The North End - a bar in Columbus Park the old Italian neighborhood that does Fried Chicken only on Saturday's. The other place is RC'S on the south side of town that has been doing Fried Chicken since the 60's.

In regards to Pork Tenderloins, I am like Buddy in regards to Kansas City Joe's when it comes to Christy's. I can name a half a dozen places that I believe do a better Pork Tenderloin; Christine's Firehouse, Kitty's Cafe, Burg and Barrel, Jerry's Cafe, The Tenderloin Grill, and The Peanut.

We have plenty of time to plan where we are going to stop. But these were a few on my suggestions.

CNW
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 07:02:42 (permalink)
We can NEVER, EVER have to many ice cream or pie stops...don't be bashful!  
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6644
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 16:11:00 (permalink)
CNW, thank you for some excellent feedback and suggestions. We've never been big Chili fans so really can't judge.  We don't dislike it, but don't actively seek it out either.  Mrs. Roadhouse has a brother who lives in Dixon's neighborhood, so it's been on our radar for a long time.  We just can't seem to drag ourselves in there.  We've been to The Woodyard several times but never tried the Burnt End Chili.  Some of our dining companions have enjoyed it.

I agree with CTD, there's never enough Ice Cream and Pie, so whatever you have to add to that list is more than welcome!  Glace and Betty Rae's both look like winner's.  There's also longtime local favorite Andre's for handmade chocolates and candies.   IIRC, buffetbuster also made some excellent Pie Discoveries on a past visit to KC.  We'll need to look that up, or maybe bb can save us the time.

Stroud's remains the gold standard, at least for us, when it comes to Fried Chicken.  We've been to RC's and were unimpressed.  The food, ambiance, and service left us cold.  It wasn't necessarily bad, mind you, it just didn't hold up to our experiences at Stroud's.  We've also been to the other local favorite, Go Chicken Go, and found it didn't live up to the hype.  The chicken was fine, but the sides were merely KFC caliber.  I'd certainly be interested in trying The North End; maybe we'll walk away with a new favorite.  The Saturday-night-only limitation might be a problem for scheduling purposes of the tour.

I can't argue with you about Christy's ranking in KC's BPT pantheon because we really haven't tried any others.  I've heard good things about Kitty's but never got a chance to visit.  Maybe we'll put them on the list for this year's Christmas trip.  Not sure which Jerry's Cafe you're referring to.  Jerry's Woodsweather Cafe, which was famous for their BPTs appears to be permanently closed.  Maybe you can clarify.  There's another Jerry's Cafe, also serving BPT's, but it doesn't seem like it's a "specialty".

As for The Peanut, it is a favorite hangout of one of Mrs. Roadhouse's million-or-so cousins.  He insists on an annual pilgrimage during our Christmas visit.  He has raved about the Wings (justifiably) and the BLTs (not so much), but never mentioned the BPTs.  Maybe we'll send him out on a scouting mission before we get down there.

Again, thanks for the local input. It will be an important part of making this another outstanding Crawl (should Kansas City be the choice once voting is closed on Labo(u)r Day, which it seems obvious it will be).

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/08/19 17:42:55
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 17:34:26 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
CNW, thank you for some excellent feedback and suggestions. We've never been big Chili fans so really can't judge.  We don't dislike it, but don't actively seek it out either.  Mrs. Roadhouse has a brother who lives in Dixon's neighborhood, so it's been on our radar for a long time.  We just can't seem to drag ourselves in there.  We've been to The Woodyard several times but never tried the Burnt End Chili.  Some of our dining companions have enjoyed it.

I agree with CTD, there's never enough Ice Cream and Pie, so whatever you have to add to that list is more than welcome!  Glace and Betty Rae's both look like winner's.  There's also longtime local favorite Andre's for handmade chocolates and candies.   IIRC, buffetbuster also made some excellent Pie Discoveries on a past visit to KC.  We'll need to look that up, or maybe bb can save us the time.

Stroud's remains the gold standard, at least for us, when it comes to Fried Chicken.  We've been to RC's and were unimpressed.  The food, ambiance, and service left us cold.  It wasn't necessarily bad, mind you, it just didn't hold up to our experiences at Stroud's.  We've also been to the other local favorite, Go Chicken Go, and found it didn't live up to the hype.  The chicken was fine, but the sides were merely KFC caliber.  I'd certainly be interested in trying The North End; maybe we'll walk away with a new favorite.  The Saturday-night-only limitation might be a problem for scheduling purposes of the tour.

I can't argue with you about Christy's ranking in KC's BPT pantheon because we really haven't tried any others.  I've heard good things about both Kitty's but never got a chance to visit.  Maybe we'll put them on the list for this year's Christmas trip.  Not sure which Jerry's Cafe you're referring to.  Jerry's Woodsweather Cafe, which was famous for their BPTs appears to be permanently closed.  Maybe you can clarify.  There's another Jerry's Cafe, also serving BPT's, but it doesn't seem like it's a "specialty".

As for The Peanut, it is a favorite hangout of one of Mrs. Roadhouse's million-or-so cousins.  He insists on an annual pilgrimage during our Christmas visit.  He has raved about the Wings (justifiably) and the BLTs (not so much), but never mentioned the BPTs.  Maybe we'll send him out on a scouting mission before we get down there.

Again, thanks for the local input. It will be an important part of making this another outstanding Crawl (should Kansas City be the choice once voting is closed on Labo(u)r Day, which it seems obvious it will be).

Buddy

Kansas City sure does seem to be the favo(u)rite leading up the the Labo(u)r Day deadline.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6644
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 17:41:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/08/19 23:34:06
John, I hope you and Jen have the opportunity to revisit my hometown soon.  Until then, the only thing missing from Chicago is "u".

Chicagou?  Sure, why not.  Or maybe Chicaugo, which is how so many of my fellow citizens pronounce it anyway.

Buddy
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1504
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 18:20:59 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
  There's also longtime local favorite Andre's for handmade chocolates and candies.  

I can vouch for Andre's chocolates, though I've never eaten at their cafe.  I buy them in bulk or by the box at Hall's Department store.  

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 20:17:29 (permalink)
rumaki
BuddyRoadhouse
  There's also longtime local favorite Andre's for handmade chocolates and candies.  

I can vouch for Andre's chocolates, though I've never eaten at their cafe.  I buy them in bulk or by the box at Hall's Department store.  

Sold!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23273
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 20:28:35 (permalink)
They have truffles that look just like the ones I used to love from Barton's in New York.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1862
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 20:44:01 (permalink)
Those are some nice looking chocolates! Fortunately, my wife travels to Switzerland a few times a year and returns with the real deal. It is so hard to limit yourself with those things.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 22:02:35 (permalink)
Jerry's Woodsweather Cafe in the Kansas City bottoms west of downtown was my favorite Kansas City spot. I introduced the Butler Metal Building Manufacturing design staff to the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich there but that was way back in 2006. Sorry to see it is closed. I was hoping to get back there. There is a Woodsweather II I guess out in the suburbs run by new owners claiming to be using most of the original menu but I wonder if it can match the original owner, Jerry. I had a great visit with him and a tour of his kitchen. It was an original roadfood place to a T.

nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/19 23:37:26 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
John, I hope you and Jen have the opportunity to revisit my hometown soon.  Until then, the only thing missing from Chicago is "u".

Chicagou?  Sure, why not.  Or maybe Chicaugo, which is how so many of my fellow citizens pronounce it anyway.

Buddy

Thank you Jeff. That's very nice of you. Don't believe it will be soon, but we are looking at making the 2017 Crawl a,week long driving vacation, so maybe a day or two in your area beforehand is a real possibility.
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/20 05:35:10 (permalink)
The name of the Pie Shop is The Upper Crust. It used to be located in central Kansas City, Mo but has now moved to my childhood stomping grounds in downtown Overland Park. Excellent pie but limited selection and very expensive $22 - $26 a pie. I am looking for other pie shops, and restaurants that bake their own, however they are few and far between as there is a local commercial bakery that supplies any restaurant within 200 miles. As I said, The Upper Crust is located in old downtown Overland Park. When I grew up about 10 blocks from there it had a Grocery Store; a Hardware Store; a Lawn and Garden Center; an Electronics Store; and an Auto Parts Store. I figured that we would spend a little time there as it now a restaurant hot spot. In a two block area, you now have in my opinion the best Ethiopian restaurant in the metro; a very good Salvadoran restaurant; an English Bakery with the best scones; the best pie shop in the area; a very good Thai restaurant; a Penzey's spice store for those who don't have one nearby; one of the locations of the Peanut Bar and Grill (yes it is now a local chain); and the best Chinese in Kansas City at the Dragon Inn. There is a high end kitchen equipment store and a Ten Thousand Villages location selling hand made goods from Africa and South America.

As far as Chocolate goes, Christopher Elbow is considered to have better chocolate than Andre's right now but I wouldn't turn down either. 
His chocolates are available at select shops in Chicago, New York City, Columbus, OH, and Washington D.C. just to name a few locations. His store is located right downtown and I figured that we would make a stop a both as they are on the way to other planned stops.

The Jerry of Jerry's Cafe and the Jerry of Jerry's Woodsweather Cafe are one and the same. Jerry sold the Woodsweather Cafe after his wife died and retired. He quickly realized that he made a mistake and opened a new place on the south side of town. Before he got into the restaurant business, he was a butcher for about thirty years. His place is breakfast and lunch only. You may have to wait in your car as the place is packed so tight that there is no waiting area because the place only has 10 tables. Jerry retired a second time and sold the place last year but I haven't noticed any difference yet.

More to come later!

CNW
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/20 09:07:25 (permalink)
Good stuff CNW...keep it coming!  We're getting close.  Dale is already packing...
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5330
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/20 09:37:52 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Good stuff CNW...keep it coming!  We're getting close.  Dale is already packing...

Dale doesn't need to "pack"!  After all, we're not talkin Chicago! 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/20 09:44:07 (permalink)
We're lighting up HJA!  
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 993
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/20 11:56:55 (permalink)
Lunch at Andre's is excellent, but may be a bit too dainty for our group.  They may not let us past the velvet rope dividing the chocolate & wine area at the front and the main dining room.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/20 16:56:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/08/20 19:00:42
abe_froeman
Lunch at Andre's is excellent, but may be a bit too dainty for our group.  They may not let us past the velvet rope dividing the chocolate & wine area at the front and the main dining room.

Beefcake1 is not only merry and beef\y, we are also quite dainty!  
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/21 11:04:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2016/08/31 19:34:11
ChiTownDiner
abe_froeman

Dainty is the first word that comes to mind when someone mentions Beefcake1.
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/31 16:14:47 (permalink)
WOW! Never saw this coming. Just checked the Doodle Destination poll and Gary, Indiana has leapt into the lead as the destination for the 2017 RoadFood Crawl.

Actually just a reminder that the decision will be finalized this weekend. You know, LABOUR Day weekend.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/08/31 17:46:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2016/08/31 17:50:26
I knew if I held my breath long enough Gary would finally get the nod. Hail to the place where pizza was invented by veterans returning from World War II.
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 07:41:04 (permalink)
Labo(u)r Day Weekend has arrived, Doodle poll has been closed, and what everyone seemed to know weeks ago is the Kansas City has been chosen as the destination for the 2017 RoadFood Crawl.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Nagle.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2927
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 08:04:21 (permalink)
YESSSSSS!!!!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 10:39:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/09/04 15:04:13
Do we need another poll to determine if it's Missouri Kansas City or Kansas Kansas City?  Perhaps a decision by Thanksgiving?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 11:14:10 (permalink)
Oh, I thought we were going to Kansas City Nevada.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2016/09/04 11:20:55
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9294
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 13:58:50 (permalink)
nagle
ChiTownDiner
abe_froeman

Dainty is the first word that comes to mind when someone mentions Beefcake1.

Dainty, indeed.

nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 15:04:54 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Do we need another poll to determine if it's Missouri Kansas City or Kansas Kansas City?  Perhaps a decision by Thanksgiving?

Just ask CHIsalad15.497
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 15:41:01 (permalink)
LOL this ChiSalad15 thing doesn't seem like it is going away anytime soon

Very good news that KC is the chosen destination.  I expect a rough draft spreadsheet from nagle, chitowndiner, and buddyroadhouse by Halloween.  Town Topic Burgers better make the cut.

Danny
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 16:49:41 (permalink)
JRPfeff
KC or bust.

Listen to me next time instead of some guy who says he's not attending and save 3 months. 👅
Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 11 of 13
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5