Helpful Reply2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination April 20th - 23rd

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 12 of 13
Author
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 20:07:25 (permalink)
ChiBears15
LOL this ChiSalad15 thing doesn't seem like it is going away anytime soon

Very good news that KC is the chosen destination.  I expect a rough draft spreadsheet from nagle, chitowndiner, and buddyroadhouse by Halloween.  Town Topic Burgers better make the cut.

Danny

What's a spreadsheet?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 20:23:26 (permalink)
nagle
ChiBears15

Very good news that KC is the chosen destination.  I expect a rough draft spreadsheet from nagle, chitowndiner, and buddyroadhouse by Halloween.  Town Topic Burgers better make the cut.

Danny

What's a spreadsheet?

It's this cotton or silk thing you put on a bed and spread it out to cover a mattress.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/04 22:15:46 (permalink)
ChiBears15

Don't worry, that name will go away once we're in Kansas City.  Finding a salad down there, or almost any green vegetable for that matter, is like trying to find pineapples growing in Antarctica.

ChiBears15
I expect a rough draft spreadsheet from nagle, chitowndiner, and buddyroadhouse by Halloween.

I just laid out the whole damn Crawl and have to do major "research" when I visit over the Holidays.  Now you want me to do the Spreadsheet too?  ChiTown "KinkyBoots" Diner hasn't done anything but make smart aleck remarks for the last three months.  The Spreadsheet is his bailiwick; let's get the boy involved.  Or am I just asking for trouble?

ChiBears15
Town Topic Burgers better make the cut.

Running for office and need a photo-op?  Town Topic might make the list, but there are better examples of the Smashdown Burger in KC.  Don't worry, even if they're not part of the regular tour, they're open 24 hours.  You can always drag "Legs" out of bed for a 3am nibble.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 991
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/05 01:35:49 (permalink)
Can we skip Winstead's?  Maybe the one on the Plaza for photo ops, but I was seriously disappointed the last time I ate there.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/05 04:46:57 (permalink)
No firm decisions yet, although if we did stop at Winstead's, the Country Club Plaza location would be the pick.  Perhaps a better choice for the Smashdown Burger would be LC's up north.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/09/05 22:47:55 (permalink)
Mm, that is a thing of beauty.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 01:26:29 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Hi Buddy,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away the week of the KC Crawl, but if I can, can you, or someone, explain to me a bit about how these crawls work? I can't quite grasp how you can go to so many restaurants in such a short amount of time. And, I know that many of you all know each other very well from years of traveling together. How does a "newbie" fit in, and remember all the names of everyone? I've always been bad with names anyway, and now, at 67, it's even harder for me. I've also always been a bit of a loaner, so I'm wondering how that would work!

Any thoughts would be helpful. 

David

Well, here we are.  Hope the trip from the KC BBQ thread wasn't too strenuous.

The Crawls work pretty simply.  You're correct to assume you don't want to load up at any one stop.  Pacing yourself is the key to having an enjoyable day.  In order to accomplish that you'll want to buddy up with a couple of other people; doesn't even need to be the same buddies at every stop.  You'll order a couple of items and share, so no one ever eats a full meal in one place.  The goal is to experience maximum diversity of choices and quality, not maximum quantity consumed.  A taste here and a taste there adds up to three squares by the end of the day.

And not to worry if your buddies don't order everything you want to try.  With 25 to 30 people in the group, there's always someone who will order your heart's desire, and just like the biblical loaves and fishes, there's always enough to share, so everyone who wants one, gets a taste.  Another plus to sharing, you'll never pay for a full meall yourself, so it ends up being fairly economical.

As for how we squeeze so many places into a short time frame; that's what the months of preparation are for.  Whoever is running the show maps out a route so we can work through the spreadsheet as efficiently as possible.  The final itinerary is frequently a thing of beauty, mixing a wide range of food possibilities with non-eating activities to break things up.

While it's true many of us have become old friends, not everyone participates in every Crawl.  But all are welcomed as if they've belonged for years.  Don't worry too much about names.  To be honest, I can't always put a name to everyone in the gang.  For instance, he lives right here in the Chicago area, I've shared meals with him many times over quite a few years, traveled to multiple cities with him, and I'm still not sure which one is ChiTownDiner.  I think he's the big tall one, but I wouldn't swear to it.

The only thing you've mentioned that could be a problem is your tendency to be a loner ("loaner"?  I'll take mine in tens and twenties, please).  If you're going to make it in this group you'll need to be friendly and learn to go with the flow.  It will be to your benefit to ride with other folks either as a passenger or driver.  With a group of this size, there will be a good sized caravan to begin with.  Running around as a "lone wolf" just adds to the congestion and takes up an extra parking space at each stop.

In any case, I hope you can arrange to join us next spring David.  It should be an epic tour!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/10/04 01:46:54
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1189
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 08:07:24 (permalink)
Thanks Buddy. Now I just have to see if I can get away from work. And a big "oops" for the loner!
David

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 08:15:55 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
Hi Buddy,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away the week of the KC Crawl, but if I can, can you, or someone, explain to me a bit about how these crawls work? I can't quite grasp how you can go to so many restaurants in such a short amount of time. And, I know that many of you all know each other very well from years of traveling together. How does a "newbie" fit in, and remember all the names of everyone? I've always been bad with names anyway, and now, at 67, it's even harder for me. I've also always been a bit of a loaner, so I'm wondering how that would work!

David

The Crawls work pretty simply.  You're correct to assume you don't want to load up at any one stop.  Pacing yourself is the key to having an enjoyable day.  In order to accomplish that you'll want to buddy up with a couple of other people; doesn't even need to be the same buddies at every stop.  You'll order a couple of items and share, so no one ever eats a full meal in one place.  The goal is to experience maximum diversity of choices and quality, not maximum quantity consumed.  A taste here and a taste there adds up to three squares by the end of the day.

And not to worry if your buddies don't order everything you want to try.  With 25 to 30 people in the group, there's always someone who will order your heart's desire, and just like the biblical loaves and fishes, there's always enough to share, so everyone who wants one, gets a taste.  Another plus to sharing, you'll never pay for a full meall yourself, so it ends up being fairly economical.

As for how we squeeze so many places into a short time frame; that's what the months of preparation are for.  Whoever is running the show maps out a route so we can work through the spreadsheet as efficiently as possible.  The final itinerary is frequently a thing of beauty, mixing a wide range of food possibilities with non-eating activities to break things up.

While it's true many of us have become old friends, not everyone participates in every Crawl.  But all are welcomed as if they've belonged for years.  Don't worry too much about names.  To be honest, I can't always put a name to everyone in the gang.  For instance, he lives right here in the Chicago area, I've shared meals with him many times over quite a few years, traveled to multiple cities with him, and I'm still not sure which one is ChiTownDiner.  I think he's the big tall one, but I wouldn't swear to it.

The only thing you've mentioned that could be a problem is your tendency to be a loner ("loaner"?  I'll take mine in tens and twenties, please).  If you're going to make it in this group you'll need to be friendly and learn to go with the flow.  It will be to your benefit to ride with other folks either as a passenger or driver.  With a group of this size, there will be a good sized caravan to begin with.  Running around as a "lone wolf" just adds to the congestion and takes up an extra parking space at each stop.

In any case, I hope you can arrange to join us next spring David.  It should be an epic tour!

Buddy

At the next meet-up, I'll sit on your lap and you'll know it's me!  
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 09:43:24 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
Hi Buddy,

David

Buddy

He's not kidding. You should be fine David, they even let us Canubians follow along.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 10:54:43 (permalink)
Not this time. I've already alerted Homeland Security about the two north-of-the-border interlopers.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11892
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 12:07:23 (permalink)
David,
Come along and enjoy.  Buddy is a little scary.  ChiTownDiner can outeat all of us.  The Canadians.........well, they're Canadian, what can I say.  ChiBears15 likes salad.  The rest of us are normal. 
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 12:11:56 (permalink)
Chris - For easier reference, please add the dates and location of the crawl to the title of this thread.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5325
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 13:26:05 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Thanks Buddy. Now I just have to see if I can get away from work. And a big "oops" for the loner!
David

David, Buddy forgot one thing.  All Newbies have to assist Dale with the official trip report. :)

Hope you make it!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 13:32:58 (permalink)
Oh, oh. Here it comes.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 14:04:51 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Not this time. I've already alerted Homeland Security about the two north-of-the-border interlopers.

They'll be so busy building The Wall with Mexico, it'll be easy for the Canadians to sneak across with their contraband Poutine.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 14:07:18 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
BuddyRoadhouse
...To be honest, I can't always put a name to everyone in the gang.  For instance, he lives right here in the Chicago area, I've shared meals with him many times over quite a few years, traveled to multiple cities with him, and I'm still not sure which one is ChiTownDiner.  I think he's the big tall one, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Buddy

That would make a lasting impression, wouldn't it.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5875
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 16:34:03 (permalink)
joerogo
Davidsanders
David

David, Buddy forgot one thing.  All Newbies have to assist Dale with the official trip report. :)

Hope you make it!

He and the little lady are now slated to be in attendance?
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 20:46:46 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Michael Hoffman

They'll be so busy building The Wall with Mexico, it'll be easy for the Canadians to sneak across with their contraband Poutine.

Buddy

Sneak?! I don't think so. I will be expecting a parade to welcome us. 😄
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 22:35:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/10/05 08:39:43
Y'know, that's not a bad idea.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/04 22:35:02 (permalink)
)
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2016/10/04 22:36:09
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/05 16:32:22 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I said parade! Not mob!
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/05 16:54:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/10/05 17:41:27
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

And their Ruffles All Dressed!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/05 19:30:38 (permalink)
nagle
Michael Hoffman

I said parade! Not mob!

You do me a disservice. I finally meet a Canadian who is brilliant enough to be a New York Giants fan and he impugns my honest wish for proper recognition of his honor.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/05 19:30:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/10/05 20:58:03
nagle
Michael Hoffman

I said parade! Not mob!

You do me a disservice. I finally meet a Canadian who is brilliant enough to be a New York Giants fan and he impugns my honest wish for proper recognition of his honor.
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/05 20:53:18 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
nagle
Michael Hoffman

I said parade! Not mob!

HonoUr. 😀
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/05 21:03:06 (permalink)
So's your old man.
nagle
Cheeseburger
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/06 09:27:07 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
nagle
Michael Hoffman

I said parade! Not mob!

My apologies Sir. In spite of our shared interest in the New York Giants, I cannot join you in your admiration of the San Francisco Giants. I will be cheering for the Washington Nationals since they are the current incarnation of my beloved Montreal Expos.

Good luck to you Sir.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/06 10:55:37 (permalink)
nagle
Michael Hoffman
nagle
Michael Hoffman

I said parade! Not mob!

My apologies Sir. In spite of our shared interest in the New York Giants, I cannot join you in your admiration of the San Francisco Giants. I will be cheering for the Washington Nationals since they are the current incarnation of my beloved Montreal Expos.

Good luck to you Sir.

Well, we can only hope the Giants and the Nationals play for the Pennant. Among other things, that would mean the Nationals beat the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Cubs were vanquished by the Polo Grounds-based New York Baseball Giants. Of course that would mean the Nationals would have to face the next best thing to Carl Hubbell in Madison Bumgarner.
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 08:24:45 (permalink)
lleechef
David,
Come along and enjoy.  Buddy is a little scary.  ChiTownDiner can outeat all of us.  The Canadians.........well, they're Canadian, what can I say.  ChiBears15 likes salad.  The rest of us are normal. 

Lisa, how dare you poke fun at my Roadfood shortcomings! 

I promise.  No salads whatsoever on this trip.  Promise.
Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 12 of 13
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5