Helpful Reply2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination April 20th - 23rd

Page: << < ..111213 Showing page 13 of 13
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23238
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 10:16:15 (permalink)
ChiBears15
lleechef
David,
Come along and enjoy.  Buddy is a little scary.  ChiTownDiner can outeat all of us.  The Canadians.........well, they're Canadian, what can I say.  ChiBears15 likes salad.  The rest of us are normal. 

Lisa, how dare you poke fun at my Roadfood shortcomings! 

I promise.  No salads whatsoever on this trip.  Promise.

Don't listen to her. If you want a salad you go ahead and order a salad.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5878
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 10:25:10 (permalink)
Just so you know salads are illegal in KC.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11900
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 10:27:43 (permalink)
ChiBears15
lleechef
David,
Come along and enjoy.  Buddy is a little scary.  ChiTownDiner can outeat all of us.  The Canadians.........well, they're Canadian, what can I say.  ChiBears15 likes salad.  The rest of us are normal. 

Lisa, how dare you poke fun at my Roadfood shortcomings! 

I promise.  No salads whatsoever on this trip.  Promise.

Ok, ok, don't pout.  I'm sorry.  I apologize.  Sheesh.  You're so touchy.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 14:41:56 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Just so you know salads are illegal in KC.

I was gonna say...

Not to worry about any Roadfood rule defying salad consumption; they're practically unheard of in KC.  In fact, it's tough to find any kind of vegetable there unless it comes in the form of Baked Beans or French Fries with your Barbecue sampler plate.  Even at Chinese restaurants; order Beef with Broccoli and you'll need to peek under several pieces of cow before you find any of the green stuff.

Okay, I guess there will be Southern Style Green Beans (simmered with chunks of pork to within an inch of their life) at Stroud's, but you can only eat them if they're smothered in pudding thick gravy made with real chicken fat.

Start working out now.  It's going to be a loooong weekend.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/10/07 14:43:13
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 15:32:22 (permalink)
So when did Kansas City become part of the South? It's as Midwestern as you can get. Besides I love the Salad's at Stroud's you get real homemade blue cheese dressing
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 16:21:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
So when did Kansas City become part of the South? It's as Midwestern as you can get. Besides I love the Salad's at Stroud's you get real homemade blue cheese dressing

If I am not mistaken Kansas is south of the Mason-Dixon Line. That makes it a Southern state, even though they were a Union state in the War of Northern Aggression.
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 17:28:27 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
wanderingjew

If I am not mistaken Kansas is south of the Mason-Dixon Line. That makes it a Southern state, even though they were a Union state in the War of Northern Aggression.

That was back in the day. Kansas and especially KC which actually has half of it in Missouri is more culturally midwestern, even the accents are very typical midwestern (the folks there sound like newscasters)
Incidentally Maryland too would therefore be considered a southern state but culturally Baltimore is about as southern as Philadelphia which is 90 miles to the North. Everyone in Baltimore says "youze guyz" and you better watch out because just like in Philly or like in NYC (a half a century ago) or even here in Rhode Island in the present, if you hang out with the wrong crowd you may end of "sleeping wit the fishes"

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 17:43:32 (permalink)
There's no doubt Kansas City and the two states it resides in are part of the Midwest.  However that doesn't change the fact that the style and preparation of Stroud's Green Beans are firmly planted in the South.

EDIT: Perhaps a less geographically specific descriptor would be "Soul Food Green Beans".  OTOH, since most American Soul Food can be traced to below the Mason Dixon Line, I guess they'd still be considered "Southern Style" via northern migration.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/10/07 17:48:54
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 17:58:46 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
There's no doubt Kansas City and the two states it resides in are part of the Midwest.  However that doesn't change the fact that the style and preparation of Stroud's Green Beans are firmly planted in the South.

EDIT: Perhaps a less geographically specific descriptor would be "Soul Food Green Beans".  OTOH, since most American Soul Food can be traced to below the Mason Dixon Line, I guess they'd still be considered "Southern Style" via northern migration.

Buddy

Ever been to the Ozarks? 

Also western KS (in the mountain time zone) definitely has more of a "Western" than midwestern feel. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 18:19:24 (permalink)
wj,
I was just agreeing with your recent statements that "Kansas and especially KC which actually has half of it in Missouri is more culturally midwestern," and, "It's as Midwestern as you can get."

So which is it; "as Midwestern as you can get" or more "Western"?  Are we going to define Missouri based on the Ozarks (yes, I've been), in which case it is more of a Southern state?  Or should we just agree that geographically both MO & KS are part of the Midwest, but are more culturally diverse depending on where in the state you happen to be standing?

BTW, yes, I've had the salad at Stroud's, and the Blue Cheese Dressing is quite tasty.  But given a choice (and they always do), I'll order the Chicken Soup with house made noodles every time.

Buddy
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 18:23:20 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
wj,
I was just agreeing with your recent statements that "Kansas and especially KC which actually has half of it in Missouri is more culturally midwestern," and, "It's as Midwestern as you can get."

So which is it; "as Midwestern as you can get" or more "Western"?  Are we going to define Missouri based on the Ozarks (yes, I've been), in which case it is more of a Southern state?  Or should we just agree that geographically both MO & KS are part of the Midwest, but are more culturally diverse depending on where in the state you happen to be standing?

BTW, yes, I've had the salad at Stroud's, and the Blue Cheese Dressing is quite tasty.  But given a choice (and they always do), I'll order the Chicken Soup with house made noodles every time.

Buddy

Just busting on you   I know we were specifically referring to Kansas City (but what about St Louis?  You know, the destination I'm predicting for 2018's crawl  Is that the midwest ?  )  I've never had the chicken soup, I know buffetbuster really enjoys it, but honestly with all of that really good stuff they serve, I need a little "roughage" 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/07 18:41:26 (permalink)
I would definitely put St. Louis in the "Midwest" category, both geographically and culturally.  OTOH, based on KC's history with the cattle industry, and the ongoing annual fanaticism for The American Royal Rodeo and BBQ Cook-off, they'd be more of a "Western" town, culturally speaking.

You should really try the soup sometime; it's top notch.  Besides, if you're gonna buzz through a plate of Fried Chicken, buttery Mashed Potatoes, and a big bowl of Country Gravy, I don't think a little plate of chopped up Iceberg Lettuce (especially when it's lathered in Blue Cheese Dressing) will balance off your nutritional concerns.

Buddy
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/10/17 02:39:12 (permalink)
Since the where and when has been decided, I started a new thread to discuss planning. Please go to http://forums.roadfood.com/2017-Kansas-City-Roadfood-Crawl-April-20th-22nd-m844387.aspx for further discussion.

Chris (CNW)
Page: << < ..111213 Showing page 13 of 13
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5