Helpful Reply2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination April 20th - 23rd

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
2016/06/10 03:44:15 (permalink)

2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination April 20th - 23rd

I thought that it was about time to start the discussion on where to go next year. I was asked several times on the Pittsburgh trip if I was willing to put together a crawl for Kansas City. My reply was that I would be delighted if that was consensus among the group. We discussed other possible destinations and it emerged that most of the people that I talked to wanted to stay in the Midwest. Several of the cities mentioned have not had a previous participant in our crawls that could plan it, which could pose a problem. I have put together a Doodle Poll with the cities that were mentioned. Please indicate your preference and feel free to suggest additional options. I figure that we will probably choose the weekend before Mother Day again, but lets determine where we are going first.

http://doodle.com/poll/m7yvs229hen5misb

CNW
post edited by CNW - 2016/10/07 21:34:01
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 07:08:17 (permalink)
Even though we won't be attending next year, I'm going to be selfish and say St. Louis since we'll be in Kansas City, Milwaukee and Minneapolis in the Fall of 2017.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5325
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 08:49:47 (permalink)
If you want to add Pittston to the Doodle Pole, I can make it happen!
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 11:11:43 (permalink)
Incidentally, I thought the doodle  poll were for folks who actually plan to attend next year's event so I'm somewhat befuddled as to why 1bbqboy responded?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 12:12:32 (permalink)
KC or bust.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 12:59:00 (permalink)
I know "everything's up to date in Kansas City" and that "they've gone about as high as they can go," but
is there anything good to eat in Kansas City?
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 13:11:05 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I know "everything's up to date in Kansas City" and that "they've gone about as high as they can go," but

Absolutely!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12194
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 14:21:34 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Incidentally, I thought the doodle  poll were for folks who actually plan to attend next year's event so I'm somewhat befuddled as to why 1bbqboy responded?

Dale,  possibly some of us that don't attend but enjoy reading the reports could be interested?

and you state...

"Even though we won't be attending next year"

and then post...

"I thought the doodle  poll were for folks who actually plan to attend next year's event"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
post edited by mar52 - 2016/06/10 14:26:54
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 326
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 14:25:57 (permalink)
KC
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 17:45:45 (permalink)

Mar

There was no reason to respond the way you did unless you want to stir up trouble. Bill Voss is a big boy and can certainly defend himself, you don't need to defend him.   CNW's intent of the doodle poll is for those who intend to  be joining next year's spring trip.  It would be extremely inconsiderate for 30 posters to respond to the doodle poll who have no intention of going and then 20 roadfooders who do plan on going are stuck with the others' selection. ,and BTW there is no  "hmmmmm"....... that's why I did not respond to the doodle poll and gave my thoughts on the thread itself.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2016/06/10 17:47:23
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 18:39:40 (permalink)
"There was no reason to respond the way you did unless you want to stir up trouble."

I didn't think I was responding in a way.  Sorry if you took it that way.

We don't own our threads and there aren't rules about who can respond. 

I never saw Bill Voss's post.  It was your post I posting about.

Again.... you responded.  That is what I was trying to point out when you have no intention of being there.

I love seeing where the crawls might be as they might give me insight on places to visit as do the trip reports.

I would love to see one on the West Coast but no one seems to be here except for a very few of us.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 19:43:04 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

Absolutely!

Other than Kansas City barbeque?
Lurker
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 21:53:26 (permalink)
mar52

We don't own our threads and there aren't rules about who can respond. 

I never saw Bill Voss's post.  It was your post I posting about.

I had indicated in my first post that I was referring to the doodle poll, not the thread. Imagine what would have happened during the Pittsburgh tour in April if those who had no intention of attending had responded to the doodle polls for attendance at various meals and events? 

mar52

Again.... you responded.  That is what I was trying to point out when you have no intention of being there.

Yes, of course, I responded to the thread, but I didn't respond to the doodle poll like bill voss did (and shouldn't have done) 

Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

Absolutely!

Oh..... fantastic fried chicken, stupendous steaks, breathtaking burgers, sultry soul food breakfasts...
Regardless of your thoughts on Kansas City,  I have a very strong feeling Kansas City is going to be the winner for next year.
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1497
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/10 23:37:23 (permalink)

Your other "favorite" meal, Mr. Hoffman:  fried chicken!

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 08:27:13 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Mar

There was no reason to respond the way you did unless you want to stir up trouble. Bill Voss is a big boy and can certainly defend himself, you don't need to defend him.   CNW's intent of the doodle poll is for those who intend to  be joining next year's spring trip.  It would be extremely inconsiderate for 30 posters to respond to the doodle poll who have no intention of going and then 20 roadfooders who do plan on going are stuck with the others' selection. ,and BTW there is no  "hmmmmm"....... that's why I did not respond to the doodle poll and gave my thoughts on the thread itself.

But you did respond to the Doodle Poll...not once but twice!  A simple check of the IP addresses and you've been caught impersonating two famous Roadfooders!  Makes me want to get hold of WhoDaMan!  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 11:05:04 (permalink)
rumaki

Well, barbeque is one of my favorites, but I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to my next meal of fried chicken.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10288
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 13:33:10 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
rumaki

Well, barbeque is one of my favorites, but I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to my next meal of fried chicken.

Yes,Fried Chicken over most anything!!!!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 13:53:36 (permalink)
As it happens I have agreed to order something called Broasted chicken the next time lleechef and I head 50-some miles down the road to Logan, Ohio and Bush's Family Restaurant. I'm game to try exotic things. Well, not sea cucumber.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 14:46:07 (permalink)
You and Bob are of the same ilk- he doesn't like fried chicken. But he has had broasted chicken and actually liked it. But few places around here have it. We, too would have to drive quite a way to get it.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 15:30:49 (permalink)
Broasted wings are the best! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 16:04:51 (permalink)
Thanks a lot.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/11 16:06:15 (permalink)
Ann, I've never liked fried chicken, but I really am eager to try the broasted stuff.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/12 12:55:04 (permalink)
Other than Pittston, are there any other cities to add to the discussion?  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/12 13:33:21 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Other than Pittston, are there any other cities to add to the discussion?  

Well, make it Gahanna and I can save a lot of wear and tear on my tires. Let's see, there are two McDonald's, one Burger King, a Taco Bell, a couple of Subways -- we have it all. Oh, and there's the Gahanna Grill and its Beanie Burger. And it's just a short walk from the John Glenn International Airport.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/12 13:51:37 (permalink)
Cleveland and Detroit would be worthy nominees.

I was actually hoping to put together proposals for all the cities mentioned so far (except Pittston, I'm just not worldly enough to know the inside scoop there), including lists of possible destinations within each metro area. Unfortunately this thread popped up before I could complete the project.

Up to now, we've visited places where long time residents have organized and guided the tours.  Now we're starting to reach out into areas not as familiar to some attendees.  If we know what to expect from each of these candidate cities, we can make a more informed decision.

More later.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/12 16:10:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2016/06/12 18:47:28
Buddy....hoping you will continue your project and submit your post in the next few weeks.  Thanks for starting it!
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/13 12:45:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2016/06/13 15:43:59
I'm just glad most of the proposed locales are far away from Rhode Island.  We don't need to get anywhere near there! 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/13 17:07:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2016/06/13 20:35:39
Now that the post-Pittsburgh Crawl discussion seems to winding down to a natural end (although I encourage anyone else with pictures and/or thoughts on the trip to continue posting them there), it seems like the right time to start talking about where to explore next year.  Over the Pittsburgh weekend, a lot of cities were mentioned, all with pros and cons.  I thought the best way to make a decision would be to evaluate the candidates based on what they had to offer both in terms of food and other pastimes.  Ralph Melton and icecreamchick, with input from buffetbuster and lleechef, did an outstanding job of balancing eating and interesting activities on this last trip.  Any future crawls should have the same goals in mind.

Let me say up front, I have my favorite candidates in mind.  I’ll do my best to be impartial in presenting them for consideration.  Certainly, the current favorite, Kansas City, is high on my list.  But if the point of these tours is to explore and discover, shouldn’t we also look at the less obvious choices.  After all, who thought we’d get one of the best meals of the Pittsburgh trip in the form of Barbecue served at The Italo-American Citizen’s Club?  It’s that sense of unexpected delight that should guide us in choosing future crawl locations.

With that in mind, I hope you’ll indulge me as I list the possible cities, starting with those least likely to be the big winner.  I won’t post them all at once in the hope that readers will give each contender fair consideration, but mainly because I haven’t finished writing the whole thing yet.

I’ll start with one of my favorite “dark horse” nominees, and the one I know I’ll take the most mocking for, Springfield, Illinois.  I know my state is home to some of the most corrupt, greed and ego driven politicians in the country.  But that doesn’t mean our state capitol isn’t without its charms.  The city is teeming with good eats possibilities and a long weekend’s worth of non-food activities.

On the food side, let’s start with (in honor of wanderingjew) central Illinois’ “regionally appropriate” dish; the Horseshoe Sandwich.  The Horseshoe is the workingman’s cousin to Pittsburgh’s Turkey Devonshire and the Louisville Hot Brown.  Start with a bottom layer of toasted bread, top that with the meat of your choice (the original Horseshoe used hamburger patties, but now you can get everything from sliced turkey to Buffalo chicken to bacon); a mound of French fries tops out the meat, and it’s all smothered in cheese sauce.  It is a huge pile of food, most closely associated with the end of a night of binge drinking.  One sandwich can be shared by two or more people.

The Horseshoe has gotten a bad rap over the years due to the use of second rate ingredients like frozen French fries and that glowing orange cheese sauce served on ballpark nachos.  The best versions use hand cut fries and a real Rarebit sauce.  The two places offering the best Horseshoes are The Corner Pub & Grill (recommended by wanderingjew) and Norb Andy’s Tabarin (no, none of that is a misprint).

Norb Andy’s is a historic Springfield bar.  It’s been around since before Prohibition and functioned as a speakeasy during that ugly era.  Entering Norb Andy’s, you walk down half a flight of stairs into a basement and back in time.  It is a rich atmosphere almost reminiscent of a colonial tavern.  The new owners have committed themselves to high culinary principles applied to working class pub grub.  It’s true they aren’t using fresh cut fries, but the institutional variety they’re using is first class, and cooked perfectly.  They also take the time to create an excellent Rarebit sauce.

The Corner Pub & Grill does use fresh cut fries and a house made cheese sauce, but lacks the historic ambiance.  Both are worthy considerations for Horseshoe Sandwiches.

Springfield’s other claim to Roadfood fame is the Cozy Dog Drive In, “birthplace” of the Corn Dog.  The Cozy Dog is a Route 66 landmark, started in 1946.  In addition to Corn Dogs, they serve very good squashed-on-the-griddle style Hamburgers, Chili Dogs, and Fries.  All of this while surrounded by an overload of Route 66 memorabilia.

Another local hotspot for the 1930’s style smashburger is Krekel’s Custard.  They have multiple locations around the city.  Not the best version of that burger in town, but lots of tradition and history and Frozen Custard, to boot.

For the best smashed Burger, we’ve discovered Fulgenzi’s Pizza & Pasta.  It’s sort of a full menu Italian fast food place.  We skipped all the other stuff and, based on a recommendation, got a double CheeseBurger.  It was everything you look for in that style burger.  Crispy, caramelized edges, juicy meat in the center, and the cheese adds just the right amount of extra richness to the whole thing.  Definitely our favorite in town.

Almost forgot about Springfield Chilli (again, not a misprint, that's how they spell it).  Not my favorite thing, but it’s a whole subculture in Springfield.  Dew Chilli Parlor and The Chili Parlor (formerly Joe Roger’s Chili Den Parlor) are the best known sources for this local peculiarity.  Springfield Chilli is a meat and bean affair, best known for the abundant layer of grease floating atop the bowl.  Don’t worry, it comes with plenty of crackers which do an effective job of soaking it all up.

My favorite food motive for stopping in Springfield is my good friend, The Dr. of BBQ.  Jack’s truck serves up some of the best and meatiest ribs I’ve ever tasted.  He somehow achieves that sweet spot of fall off the bone tenderness with just enough “chew” to let you know this is the real deal.  He also turns out some great pulled pork, brisket, and when the mood strikes him, rib tips unlike any other I’ve ever had.

When the sweet tooth grabs you, we’ll head over to one of the many Mel-O-Cream Donuts shops around town.  They specialize in those cakey style donuts; slightly crispy on the outside, dense and flavorful inside with a generous dose of frosting on top.  Great Chocolate donuts and Maple Fritters!  They’ll need to be an early stop as they close in the afternoon—some even earlier because they sell out fast!

For the Breakfast aficionados, there’s Sunrise Café, Charlie Parker’s and D&J Café.  All three are well reviewed here on Roadfood and they’re all approved by highly respected Roadfooder King T.  Other well regarded Breakfast possibilities include Shannon’s Five Star and Ritz’s.  Wish I could comment on these, but as most of you know, Breakfast is not the most important meal of my day.

Another discovery on our last visit was Carter’s Fish Market.  Nothing more than a walk up window in a limited parking lot with one picnic table, Carter’s serves some fantastic fish.  They feature Walleye, Catfish, and Buffalo; all served hot, crispy and moist, and in abundance.  Sides include “River Fries” (their version of home fries), fried okra, and cole slaw.  It’s a real treat to sit and eat while watching the steady line of folks come and go with their carry out orders.

There’s no shortage of Italian food in Springpatch.  Saputo’s is an old school semi-upscale Eye-Talian joint that caters to the town’s “elite”;  lots of pols and money guys rubbing elbows over a giant house salad and a plate of baked lasagna.  Gabatoni’s is more blue collar family style, serving good tavern style Pizzas, red sauce Italian, and a damn fine version of the Horseshoe.  Plus, if you're taste in art runs toward paintings of dogs playing poker, and almost every other activity you can think of, you'll love Gabatoni's decor.

Another favorite of mine is the Westwoods Lodge Pub & Grill.  They feature a number of wild game dishes including Deer and Elk Burgers, several Duck options and Frog Legs.  The décor is hunt club grandeur.  You might need to get used to all the mounted game heads staring at you while you eat, but it’s worth it.

That’s just a slice of what’s available in terms of good eats in Springfield.  The other draw is a plethora of Lincoln sites around town.  The Lincoln Home, Lincoln’s Tomb, The Lincoln Presidential Library, New Salem State Park; a preservation and recreation of the town Lincoln lived in when he moved to Illinois (think Colonial Williamsburg, only more rustic and frontier oriented), and the Old State Capitol where Lincoln served as a state senator.  There’s also the new State Capitol Building where our current state senators are driving the state to bankruptcy, the Dana-Thomas House (one of the best examples of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, brilliantly preserved and open to the public), and Shea’s Gas Station Museum, another Route 66 landmark.

As you can see there’s easily enough stuff listed here to do an extended weekend in Springfield.  In the coming days and weeks I’ll post summaries for Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and of course my home away from home, Kansas City.  Just remember folks, if we're going to keep this tradition alive, sooner or later, we'll visit all these places.

Hope you’ll give them all fair consideration.

Buddy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/13 17:18:44 (permalink)
Damn! You make Springfield sound good, even to me. Although I'm not sure about those horseshoes. And it would be neat to meet The Doctor of Barbeque finally.
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: 2017 Roadfood Crawl Destination? 2016/06/13 18:06:11 (permalink)
Jeff, you present a very strong case for Springfield, IL.  I am looking forward to your report on the other candidates.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5