Helpful ReplyHot!Minneapolis / St. Paul Crawl: April 25th to 28th, 2019

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 21
Author
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10540
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 08:27:41 (permalink)
joerogo
ChiBears15
Is anyone out there? Anyone willing to flip to Cleveland?

Time is running out. We desperately need an October surprise in June...

Oh....you have an October Surprise coming....CTD and me guarantee it!!!

Whatever it is, I just hope it doesn't involve "October" and "Rhode Island" or "Connecticut" in the same sentence, paragraph or story.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12323
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 10:53:17 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Bonk
Sounds like a blast, looking forward to it already.

On the voting, all I would say is I would be mildly irritated if a significant number of the people who voted for MSP don't end up going and we have a low turnout

We still plan on going- we may not be there for the entire event but I'm sure we'll get at least 2 or 3 days in. 

Hotdish and Lutefisk here I come!

If WJ is arranging a lutefisk smackdown, I would like to change my vote....
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 11:01:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/12 14:21:03
buffetbuster
wanderingjew
Bonk
Sounds like a blast, looking forward to it already.

On the voting, all I would say is I would be mildly irritated if a significant number of the people who voted for MSP don't end up going and we have a low turnout

We still plan on going- we may not be there for the entire event but I'm sure we'll get at least 2 or 3 days in. 

Hotdish and Lutefisk here I come!

If WJ is arranging a lutefisk smackdown, I would like to change my vote....

Would you think twice if it were a lutefisk pizza smackdown?

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 11:16:24 (permalink)
BTW - now that Cousin Johnny signed up to the forums I have to figure out a way to convince Sandra to sign up on the board- for just one post- So far over the past 15 years that the forum has been in existence , despite the hundreds of friends i have, I've batted a total goose egg trying to get friends to either sign up on Roadfood and/or post here on the forums.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5475
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 11:45:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/06/12 18:13:54
Psssst, don't tell "Dale" about this. I understand that there will be nuptials occurring later this year. If you are considering sending a gift, look no further than HERE for a Matrimonially Appropriate selection.

Remember, do NOT tell "Dale".
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5152
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 14:22:09 (permalink)
wanderingjew
BTW - now that Cousin Johnny signed up to the forums I have to figure out a way to convince Sandra to sign up on the board- for just one post- So far over the past 15 years that the forum has been in existence , despite the hundreds of friends i have, I've batted a total goose egg trying to get friends to either sign up on Roadfood and/or post here on the forums.

Wrong...you had a friend, can't remember who da man was....but I remember at least one!  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 14:22:41 (permalink)
wanderingjew
joerogo
ChiBears15

Whatever it is, I just hope it doesn't involve "October" and "Rhode Island" or "Connecticut" in the same sentence, paragraph or story.

Won't you be surprised!  
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5224
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 14:32:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/12 16:44:04
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
joerogo
ChiBears15

Won't you be surprised!  

Danny is going to help us measure the depth of Narragansett Bay.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 18:14:55 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew

Wrong...you had a friend, can't remember who da man was....but I remember at least one!  

hoo-da-man ??

joerogo
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
joerogo
ChiBears15

Won't you be surprised!  

Danny is going to help us measure the depth of Narragansett Bay.

Well... sleeping with the fishes seems to be a big deal around these parts.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6284
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 18:20:27 (permalink)
Any of you folks who have known me for a fair amount of time know I'm the guy who doesn’t know when to shut up, especially when he sees something that ain't quite right.  The vote for next year's Crawl is one those "not quite right" situations and I feel like it needs to be addressed.

So here goes.

I'm disappointed and I'm mad as hell.

I'm disappointed because Cleveland, the city 16 people voted for, wasn't chosen as our 2019 Crawl destination.  But you know what?  I can get over disappointment pretty quickly.  I've had enough of it in my life (along with most people), and I know it will pass.  Especially since the winner was another of my favorite places, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
MSP is a fantastic place!  It's two major cities for the price of one.  They are cities of great diversity, great neighborhoods, and outstanding Roadfood.  I've got stacks of menus, guidebooks, and other materials that will help us put together a heckuva good Crawl for all who decide to attend.  We have an experienced group of MSP travelers and locals associated with our group who, I'm hoping, will contribute to the planning.  wanderingjew, buffetbuster, and I have explored both cities extensively.  And we'll turn to MSP Roadfooders like Davydd and rumaki for their local take on what's worthwhile.

All in all, I can promise you a fantastic weekend in the Twin Cities, and I'll do my best to make that claim true for Cleveland when the time comes.

Now for the other part: I'm mad as hell!

Based on my statements above, it should be clear to any thoughtful person that the end result isn't what I’m angry about.

The issue is DISRESPECT.

There has been gross disrespect shown almost from the beginning for this decision making process and the people involved in it.  Disrespect for the organizers who took the time and made the effort to get things going, all the way to the voters who thought they were being given a fair voice.

I’m talking about disrespect for nagle, who initiated the Doodle Poll, only to have his email inbox inundated with needless notifications every time someone messed around with the votes.

I’m talking about disrespect for the people who voted in the poll whose voices were taken away when those votes were changed without their consent.

I’m talking about the low, dismissive responses to the city summaries I posted so people could make informed decisions about where they wanted to go.

I’m even talking about some of the people who voted for the winning destination.  Because if (note that all important underlined "if") you were contacted by someone behind the scenes and coerced into voting a certain way, then yes, you were disrespected.  Someone decided their priorities were more important than the will of their fellow Roadfooders and used you as a pawn to get their way.  That’s disrespect for your free thought and free will.

In spite of all that, we still want come out on the other side of this and remain friends.  So, here’s an idea: I made a point of discounting votes cast by anyone I thought was less than likely to attend the 2019 Crawl.  In more than one case, I was personally assured that those individuals had a genuine intent to be there, so I re-entered their vote.  Now I’m asking everyone who voted, for either finalist, to give careful consideration as to whether they’ll join us next spring.

I’m NOT asking anyone to change their vote.  I’m asking you to think about what’s right.  The overwhelming majority of people who cast their votes fully intend to make the trip to whichever city ends up winning.  I’m suggesting there might be a handful of folks who are less than likely to attend, who got caught up in the heat of the moment and voted without considering how it might affect the people who are genuinely planning to be there.  IF (there’s that all important "if" again) that’s the case for you, I’m asking that you nullify your vote, no matter which city you chose.

I’m not even asking for an absolute commitment.  Let’s say 80%.  If you’re 80% sure you’ll attend the 2019 Crawl, then let your vote stand.  But if you think there’s a less than 80% chance you’ll make it, please show respect for the folks who are more certain to make the trip.  Please recuse yourself so we can get an honest count.  Then we can carry on, no matter which city comes out on top.

There will be a few folks who cry, "Foul!" and remind us the voting was closed as of Friday evening.  Tell you what, show me the rule book that lays out those limits and I’ll back off.  The fact is we’ve been making this up as we go along since day one.  And it’s worked out pretty well.  We’ve had five outstanding Crawls and we’re on track to keep going as long as there’s interest.  As long as there’s respect for each other and the will of the group.

We had a bunch of new folks join our group this year in Nashville.  I know they were made to feel welcome, and I hope they'll back me up on that.  Please don’t let this minor family spat sour you on future Crawls.  It will be resolved peacefully and we’ll have a great time next spring no matter where we end up.  And wherever that happens to be, you'll get the same warm welcome.

Even chickenplucker’s wife Linda.  As long as she keeps her damn chicken livers on her own plate (or limits the sharing to Rogo)

Buddy
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 20:39:38 (permalink)
Sounds like we need a special council!!!🤐🤦‍♂️
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8629
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:12:14 (permalink)
Delete my vote, please.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:14:21 (permalink)
So let's go...your nameless attack on me is as spineless as you and Danny's decision to omit me from the voting.  I've been on every spring crawl, many of the Glee Club Events, all but two of the bus trips and have done a fair amount of planning for several of them.  I've made a point of joining Roadfooders around the country.  
I hold no grudge against Cleveland as I lived there for four years and have been back twenty or so times.  I have never been to MSP and have always been interested.  
 Show me the rule book that shows no one can discuss voting behind the scenes.  There is no rule book as you constantly changed the rules throughout this process.  You talk of disrepect as if your actions are all about respect.  I call bull****.  You initiated disrepect in this years process.  
Everyone here is an adult open to conversations regarding every aspect of the crawl, city included.  My dismissive replies to your writeups of cities that I find subpar is my opinion, one which is attached to my name.  Your claims of disrepect for anyone I discussed voting with reeks of contempt and disrespect for their intelligence.  I assume that holds for folks who also voted for Cleveland after I reached out to them.  
And oh my, a full mailbox. The world as we know it will end.  
Sometimes disrespect begins at home.  Check the mirror before you throw stones at another glass house.  

ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:14:52 (permalink)
joerogo

If it weren't for the illegal Russian votes, we'd be going to Cleveland next year. 
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:30:09 (permalink)
ChiBears15
joerogo

If it weren't for the illegal Russian votes, we'd be going to Cleveland next year. 
I got a PM that said the Pope was choosing MSP.....that changed my mind😡 All’s I know is, if Cleveland won, I would just suck it a up and go. I could speculate about who gave the order to ChiBears15....or Moe Green. But, it’s about our group first, city second. I see the beginning of the end for the RF Crawl.....which is sad.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:39:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2018/06/12 21:48:18
Do Jim and I need to hold another Cortado summit?
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:43:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/06/12 21:47:21
wanderingjew

Could we do milkshakes?  I get jittery with caffeine!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 21:48:15 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew

Could we do milkshakes?  I get jittery with caffeine!  

Naah...too much sugar- someone may need to drive me to the ER for a quick shot of insulin.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/12 22:00:11 (permalink)
I'm fine (& Fine) with MSP if we avoid Scandinavian cuisine. In fact it was my first choice. I decided to vote for Cleveland to make travel easier for some of our more Eastern Roadfooders. It also irked me that one individual's vote for Cleveland was discarded.

My Superdelegate joke had validity in my mind. I think the RFers who attend crawls every year should have more influence in the choice than other voters (me included). They have proven that they are almost certain to attend.
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 00:55:55 (permalink)
I was going to bring up this idea after things had cooled down. We need to remember that we are getting together not only to enjoy good food but good company. I propose starting next year that only those who went on the tour get to vote for the next years destination. We have the discussion at the table on Saturday night or Sunday morning before we all get into our cars/board our planes to go home. After the destination is chosen we can wait a few months to discuss the date. I believe that this is the fairest solution to this issue.

Chris
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 07:30:18 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I'm fine (& Fine) with MSP if we avoid Scandinavian cuisine. In fact it was my first choice. I decided to vote for Cleveland to make travel easier for some of our more Eastern Roadfooders. It also irked me that one individual's vote for Cleveland was discarded.

My Superdelegate joke had validity in my mind. I think the RFers who attend crawls every year should have more influence in the choice than other voters (me included). They have proven that they are almost certain to attend.

Well you don't have to but the rest of us will... Scandinavian food is an integral part of MSP- and unless you're eating the wrong stuff....DELICIOUS....That would be like going to NYC and not going to a Jewish Deli- (even though there is like only one left now)- When folks from Rhode Island ask me for recommendations when they visit NYC I always suggest contemporary El Salvadorean, Gahanian and Korean Roadfood...I can't remember the last time I mentioned a Jewish Deli
post edited by wanderingjew - 2018/06/13 07:48:51
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2916
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 08:23:34 (permalink)
You can delete my vote.  I'd really like to attend but the likelihood is definitely less than 80%.  Hope it all works out well for everyone!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 12:26:16 (permalink)
While I was at work, dealing with insurance claims, attorneys and lawsuits a light bulb went off in my head which only validates our commitment to MSP. Next year we had planned on visiting the Canadian Maritimes/Quebec, and then another trip back to Seattle (with a focus on the Olympic Penninsula which we missed on our last trip in 14)
Then I realized, Sandra had told me previously she always wanted to visit Macinac Island- a trip we talked about but never committed to- perfect opportunity. fly into Detroit- do a little sight seeing, then head up to the U.P of Michigan and then across to Green Bay and Door County and make our way to MSP from there. I texted Sandra, who of course responded that she loves my ideas- so we're going to nix Seattle until 2020 since she is really looking forward to Canada

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 12:54:31 (permalink)
CNW
I was going to bring up this idea after things had cooled down. We need to remember that we are getting together not only to enjoy good food but good company. I propose starting next year that only those who went on the tour get to vote for the next years destination. We have the discussion at the table on Saturday night or Sunday morning before we all get into our cars/board our planes to go home. After the destination is chosen we can wait a few months to discuss the date. I believe that this is the fairest solution to this issue.

Chris

In line with Chris's suggestion and Buddy's 80% threshold, disregard the vote I cast for the Crawl location. At this time I am not entirely confident of our ability to travel for any overnight Roadfood eating tours next year.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 13:30:18 (permalink)
JRPfeff

In line with Chris's suggestion and Buddy's 80% threshold, disregard the vote I cast for the Crawl location. At this time I am not entirely confident of our ability to travel for any overnight Roadfood eating tours next year.

Hmmm....I don't know...I think you're just going  really out of your way to avoid meeting Sandra....
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 13:33:33 (permalink)
I did not say I will not be attending, just that I'm not sure about it right now. I may decide to go somewhere that I want instead of MSP or Cleveland.
Pie Diva
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 14:18:18 (permalink)
I guess it goes without saying to invalidate my vote also
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 14:23:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/13 17:22:02
Like I said, the beginning of the end is in sight.  NOBODY should feel marginalized because of their vote, and that is exactly what is happening.  Talk about voter suppression!  What's next, the "What Happened" book?

This event is about having fun, not having ones way.  80%.... is pure BS.  Maybe we should collect a non-refundable deposit with every vote?  I could tell you right now how this is going to end up.....but I won't.

saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 14:49:37 (permalink)
Cool! Just like the old days of Roadfood, with childish fighting and people acting like seven year-olds.  

Love the pathetic act that someone would actually take the time and effort to get people to change their votes so it's skewed to the place where said individual wants to go.  What a loser move. Freaking get on a plane or hop in your car and just go by yourself if it's so important to you. 

Meanwhile, the guy who's crying about "DISRESPECT" was eliminating people's votes because he subjectively decided that they were less likely to attend.  Regardless of whether he put them back or not, does it get any more disrespectful or arrogant than to judge their vote and remove it?

And then the "Oh, I'm not confident we can make it to any event" passive-aggressive retaliation.

The good news is that several of you deserve to go on this broken trip together, whatever city that is when you figure out how not to screw and backstab each other.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: 2019 Crawl Location Discussion Thread 2018/06/13 15:08:12 (permalink)
saps
Cool! Just like the old days of Roadfood, with childish fighting and people acting like seven year-olds.  

Love the pathetic act that someone would actually take the time and effort to get people to change their votes so it's skewed to the place where said individual wants to go.  What a loser move. Freaking get on a plane or hop in your car and just go by yourself if it's so important to you. 

Meanwhile, the guy who's crying about "DISRESPECT" was eliminating people's votes because he subjectively decided that they were less likely to attend.  Regardless of whether he put them back or not, does it get any more disrespectful or arrogant than to judge their vote and remove it?

And then the "Oh, I'm not confident we can make it to any event" passive-aggressive retaliation.

The good news is that several of you deserve to go on this broken trip together, whatever city that is when you figure out how not to screw and backstab each other.

Passive aggressive my butt. I am on a fixed income now and do not know if it will be in the budget next year, if you really want to know.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 21
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5