Helpful Reply5 Things I Love

Author
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2017/02/10 14:02:22 (permalink)

5 Things I Love

The Indianapolis Star has a Friday weekly feature called "5 Things I Love."  Typically they interview some artsy-fartsy semi-foodie who lists 5 favorite restaurants or dishes, normally close by where they live or work.  Occasionally there are hidden gems revealed.  I thought it might be interesting, given that many of you would drive a long ways to get a favorite dish, to list 5 things that you would make a destination or would alter your trip to include.  I don't have nearly the geographical food experience that many on here have, but here's mine:

(1)  Skip One Seafood, Ft. Myers, FL.  We have altered our itinerary several times in order to get lunch here.  There are several dishes we're fond of -- Smoked Salmon Salad sandwich, grouper sandwich, Conch chowder, blackened shrimp, and the best keylime pie.

(2) Science Hill, Shelbyville, KY.  An old time throwback to a more refined culture.  It's only been recently that men were allowed in without a jacket. Superb buffet, bread pudding, and of course outstanding service.

(3)  Tommy DiNic's, Reading Terminal Station, Philadelphia.  The roast pork sandwich with rabe and sharp provolone.  Some years ago voted America's Top Sandwich.  The first time I had one, I went back later and ate another one.

(4)  Horsin' Around Deli, N. Ft. Myers, FL.  My all time favorite Cuban.  In a SW Florida contest, voted People's Choice.

(5)  Jungle Jim's supermarket, Fairfield, OH.  We go here about once a year and drop $250.  Seven acres under roof.  There's a 50' aisle of fresh vegetables I've never even heard of, hundreds of different cheeses, aisles and entire rooms divided by ethnicity, 50' of pasta, fish swimming in tanks, probably 1000 different beers, a walk-in humidor.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/10 22:26:09 (permalink)
  1. Waffle House - Anywhere USA!
  2. Peg Leg Pete's - Pensacola Beach FL.
  3. Coffee Cup - Pensacola FL.
  4. Carolinas Mexican - Phoenix AZ.
  5. Durgin Park - Boston MA.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11449
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/10 22:35:25 (permalink)
1.  Santa Fe Bite (formerly Bobcat Bite) for the best green chile cheeseburger on the planet.
2.  Sea Swirl in CT for great fried clams.
3.  Ford's Lobster for the Lobster Bomb.  Thank you, wanderingjew!!!!
4.  Bob's Café in Sioux Falls, SD for the best broasted chicken.
5.  Archie's Waeside in LeMars, IA for the best steak and Iowa chop.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8823
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 00:25:51 (permalink)
Pizza
My Wife
My Kids
Reading a great book
Eating
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6650
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 11:04:28 (permalink)
  1. G&M Restaurant & Lounge, Linthicum, MD
  2. Metro 29 Diner, Arlington, VA
  3. Weenie Beenie, Arlington, VA
  4. Pecan Lodge, Dallas, TX
  5. Harbor House Café, Sunset Beach, CA
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/02/11 11:07:30
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10158
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 11:34:13 (permalink)
lleechef
1.  Santa Fe Bite (formerly Bobcat Bite) for the best green chile cheeseburger on the planet.
2.  Sea Swirl in CT for great fried clams.
3.  Ford's Lobster for the Lobster Bomb.  Thank you, wanderingjew!!!!
4.  Bob's Café in Sioux Falls, SD for the best broasted chicken.
5.  Archie's Waeside in LeMars, IA for the best steak and Iowa chop.

You can thank Sandra for Ford's Lobster- she was the one who took me there first
We'll be in Sioux Falls in September for part of our Laura Ingall's Wilder trip, unfortunately with the logistics, it will be impossible to  check out Bob's Cafe, we're going to check out the recently Roadfood reviewed Pheasant Lounge and Restaurant in Brookings instead

MetroplexJim
  1. G&M Restaurant & Lounge, Linthicum, MD
  2. Metro 29 Diner, Arlington, VA
  3. Weenie Beenie, Arlington, VA
  4. Pecan Lodge, Dallas, TX
  5. Harbor House Café, Sunset Beach, CA

We'll be visiting the Harbour House Cafe on our So- Cal trip next month! 
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 11:54:30 (permalink)
THANK YOU, SANDRA!!!!!! 
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1207
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 12:33:28 (permalink)
1. Acme Oyster House, NOLA: For the Pecan Cobbler
2. Bob Syke's BBQ, Bessemer, AL: For their outstanding lemon icebox pie
3. Dixie Crossroads, Titusville, FL: The rock shrimp. And all the other shrimp. Finestkind!
4. The Dew Drop Inn, Mobile, AL: For the Dew Drop Inn Hot Dog. Best I've had since the Doghouse JR in Gulfport went out of business.
5: The White Cap restaurant, Gulfport, MS: The seafood. OMG. All the delicious, fried seafood. They've been going for decades and there's a reason why!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 12:48:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2017/11/02 15:08:43
MH said, "You forgot Frank Pepe's"  But it was 5 things I love.  Pepe's would've made 6 things.  So I bend the rules a little..........

6.  Frank Pepe's for the marvelous clam pie!

There.  Now the moderators can ban me if they want. 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 13:02:03 (permalink)
wanderingjew
We'll be visiting the Harbour House Cafe on our So- Cal trip next month! 

It's 24/7/365.25 and best enjoyed for breakfast.

Check their menu; it has quite literally everything.
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 13:30:52 (permalink)
This is exactly the kind of response I was after.  I haven't checked them all out yet, but be assured that so far I'm headed to Weenie Beenie and Gulfport.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22597
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/11 13:50:59 (permalink)
lleechef
MH said, "You forgot Frank Pepe's"  But it was 5 things I love.  Pepe's would've made 6 things.  So I bend the rules a little..........

6.  Frank Pepe's for the marvelous clam pie!

There.  Now the moderators can ban me if they want. 

You're just trying to catch up with Tom and Rogo -- and some other guy.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/13 18:20:13 (permalink)
1. Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, Herndon VA. http://www.jottnew.com/
2. El Pollo Rico, Arlington VA. http://www.elpolloricorestaurant.com/
3. Sam & Omie's, Nags Head NC. http://www.samandomies.net/
4. Tito's Tacos, Los Angeles CA. http://titostacos.com/
5. Hal's Deli, Ithaca NY. https://www.yelp.com/biz/hals-delicatessen-and-sandwich-shoppe-ithaca

TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/13 18:25:17 (permalink)
who is this Tom fellow and why is the poor guy being grouped with Rogo?
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1207
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/02/13 19:04:29 (permalink)
Davebassman
1. Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, Herndon VA. http://www.jottnew.com/
2. El Pollo Rico, Arlington VA. http://www.elpolloricorestaurant.com/
3. Sam & Omie's, Nags Head NC. http://www.samandomies.net/
4. Tito's Tacos, Los Angeles CA. http://titostacos.com/
5. Hal's Deli, Ithaca NY. https://www.yelp.com/biz/hals-delicatessen-and-sandwich-shoppe-ithaca

Sam and Omie's could have easily made my list, too. We usually eat there on our yearly trips to Avon. Depending on when we hit town. If it's early in the day, Sam and Omie's wins out. Later in the day or early evening the it's usually the Black Pelican. So easy to find a a good meal out there.
TravelingPan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/11/02 06:36:35 (permalink)
Border Bar and Pizza (dive bar, pizza) - International Falls MN
Hard Eight BBQ (brisket and brush poppers) - Carrollton TX
Trojan Horse (gyro) - Bloomington IN
Lindeys Steak House (whole sirloin perfectly aged) - Arden Hills MN
Reds Savvoy Pizza (pizza, the "special") - St Paul MN
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12012
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/11/06 09:00:36 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
  1. Metro 29 Diner, Arlington, VA
  2. Weenie Beenie, Arlington, VA

Just wanted to let you know that we were in Northern Virginia over the weekend and ate at both of these fine establishments.  Weenie Beenie is an old favorite, but it was our first time at Metro 29 Diner.  Our breakfast entrees(Virginia ham and cheese omelet for me, tall French toast with challah bread for her) were both outstanding! This place deserves to be reviewed on Roadfood.  Next time in the area I want to stop in for lunch.  What is your favorite dish or dishes here?

BTW, it is practically across the street from Livin' The Pie Life, my new favorite pie shop.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/11/06 18:53:44 (permalink)
buffetbuster
MetroplexJim
  1. Metro 29 Diner, Arlington, VA
  2. Weenie Beenie, Arlington, VA

Just wanted to let you know that we were in Northern Virginia over the weekend and ate at both of these fine establishments.  Weenie Beenie is an old favorite, but it was our first time at Metro 29 Diner.  Our breakfast entrees(Virginia ham and cheese omelet for me, tall French toast with challah bread for her) were both outstanding! This place deserves to be reviewed on Roadfood.  Next time in the area I want to stop in for lunch.  What is your favorite dish or dishes here?

BTW, it is practically across the street from Livin' The Pie Life, my new favorite pie shop.

I'm glad you and Mariton made it to Metro 29, a place which I have been an enthusiastic patron of ever since it opened.  

As to what to eat for lunch/dinner ... they do a good job with everything on their immense menu, but their real strong suit is with roasts (beef, lamb, pork, turkey) and gravies.  For lunch, you couldn't go wrong with one of their open-faced sandwiches.  For dinner, anything involving gravy would be excellent.

Other little gems ... my (just me) personal favorite is their fried shrimp dinner; the five shrimp they serve you are colossal and filling.  The fries are piping hot and served unsalted, so you can salty & pepper to taste (I love that).  If you order a chef's salad you will have enough cheese and cold cuts left over for a decent lunch!  Their cakes, pies, and desserts look wonderful, but I have always been too filled to order.  In sum, they use quality ingredients, serve huge portions that are prepared well, and offer good value - which I mention only because the menu prices may seem a bit steep for those who have never been.

Another sure sign of a great place - they have several servers who opened the place back in the early '90's still serving.  Their website says they opened in 1995, but I remember them vividly from a few years before - and I should know as I lived at several addresses in the neighborhood immediately north 1978 - 2005 and dine there on every trip "back".

That pie place is new.  I'll check it out when I visit the kids & grandkids for Christmas.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/11/07 08:33:41
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12012
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/11/07 09:33:49 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

As to what to eat for lunch/dinner ... they do a good job with everything on their immense menu, but their real strong suit is with roasts (beef, lamb, pork, turkey) and gravies.  For lunch, you couldn't go wrong with one of their open-faced sandwiches.  For dinner, anything involving gravy would be excellent.

That's what I like to hear!  My go to dish in diners is a hot turkey sandwich anyway. 

Thanks for the informative reply.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1291
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/11/07 15:12:04 (permalink)
TravelingPan

I think that's one of the first mentions of Trojan Horse I've seen on this site.  I've been going there since the early 80s.  For me, as with most people from Bloomington, this was my first exposure to a gyro or really any greek food.  It's still in the rotation when we visit my parents but these days I usually get the tenderloin which I think is one of the better ones around.  My wife is also pretty addicted to the cheesepa'rer which is a spread made from feta and spinach.  Hmm I think this is going to happen Thanksgiving weekend.  It's overall just a classic Bloomington atmosphere.  
TravelingPan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: 5 Things I Love 2017/11/08 02:22:22 (permalink)
hatteras04
TravelingPan

I think that's one of the first mentions of Trojan Horse I've seen on this site.  I've been going there since the early 80s.  For me, as with most people from Bloomington, this was my first exposure to a gyro or really any greek food.  It's still in the rotation when we visit my parents but these days I usually get the tenderloin which I think is one of the better ones around.  My wife is also pretty addicted to the cheesepa'rer which is a spread made from feta and spinach.  Hmm I think this is going to happen Thanksgiving weekend.  It's overall just a classic Bloomington atmosphere.  

Okay, now you've done it.... lol
Being the state sandwich and all I've got to plug the current best breaded TL in Indiana... lol
It's plenty big enough to feed two. Route 67 bar and grill in Mooresville... DO IT!
... but yes, the gyros from TH in b-town was my first as well. I pretty much grew up at spaceport, garcias, etc, miss Ladymans Cafe.... My family owned two sides of the square until the late 80s so I was always in town. I'm pretty disgusted with what has happened to Bloomington but there are still some great food options. The Kabob/Gyros truck for starters! But also all the small ethnic places about two blocks South of Kirkwood.
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5