Helpful Reply50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints

Author
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
2017/08/10 23:17:56 (permalink)

50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints

Another list, but this time no claims of "best barbecue in all 50 states", etc. With the exception of some of the "usual suspects"
( Big Bob Gibsons, Franklin Barbecue, Oklahoma Joe's etc.) mostly newer, lesser advertised places. Anyone checked out any of these joints?

https://www.chowhound.com...0230&ad_id=6667616
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6700
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 10:05:08 (permalink)
Very interesting in that:

1)  I had heard of only two of the places listed - Big Bob Gibson's (AL) and Franklin's (TX).
2)  It all looked delicious!

-----------------------

The primary reason I take the time to go through slideshows such as this is to see what they are serving in, say, Rhode Island or Wisconsin and calling "barbecue".  When I start drooling over a picture of RI BBQ I know something "magical" has happened.

That, I am going to attribute to the internet because, prior to it "BBQ" meant something very different as one roamed about the U.S.  For example, growing up in Pittsburgh it meant heating up chipped, chopped ham in a saucepan with Isaly's BBQ Sauce!

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8048
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 10:50:39 (permalink)
RFers MilwFoodLovers and Gyp both approve of Iron Grate BBQ.  I've yet to visit but it's on the radar.

OTOH, I'm not that interested in eating at Smoke Daddy:

"Get your fall-off-the-bone rib fix in Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood."

Hopefully that's just the author taking liberties, but if it's actually true...then no thanks.  Sell your overcooked (or worse) ribs to somebody else.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/08/11 11:21:06
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10197
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 10:58:42 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Very interesting in that:

1)  I had heard of only two of the places listed - Big Bob Gibson's (AL) and Franklin's (TX).
2)  It all looked delicious!

-----------------------

The primary reason I take the time to go through slideshows such as this is to see what they are serving in, say, Rhode Island or Wisconsin and calling "barbecue".  When I start drooling over a picture of RI BBQ I know something "magical" has happened.

That, I am going to attribute to the internet because, prior to it "BBQ" meant something very different as one roamed about the U.S.  For example, growing up in Pittsburgh it meant heating up chipped, chopped ham in a saucepan with Isaly's BBQ Sauce!

Don't underestimate Rhode Island
Out of all the places I've lived throughout the years, Rhode Island is definitely the most foodie oriented. And I don't mean your grampa's  clamcakes, chowder, coffee milk, hot wieners and Italian food and similar things that people who don't live here tell me I should eat. I'm talking food trucks, burgers, banh mi and yes BBQ. I've yet to visit Durk's yet but we've passed it many times and  besides those I know who have visits and told me it's the real deal,  it's the  wafting aroma that screams to me that I'lll be in for a real treat when we check it out
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 11:18:58 (permalink)
After clicking off ads and having ads flash at me for ten pages, I finally gave up.
Why don't they tell us where these places are?   jeeez
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6700
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 11:28:12 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Out of all the places I've lived throughout the years, Rhode Island is definitely the most foodie oriented. And I don't mean your grampa's  clamcakes, chowder, coffee milk, hot wieners and Italian food and similar things that people who don't live here tell me I should eat. I'm talking food trucks, burgers, banh mi and yes BBQ. I've yet to visit Durk's yet but we've passed it many times and  besides those I know who have visits and told me it's the real deal,  it's the  wafting aroma that screams to me that I'lll be in for a real treat when we check it out

In no way was I underestimating (or otherwise disrespecting) RI.  In fact, the only reason I mentioned RI was that the picture illustrating Durk's BBQ looked so dog-gone ... well ... "authentic":

I was simply applauding the evident fact that the "True Gospel" of Barbecue has seemingly - and happily - become metastatic.

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 11:57:56 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
wanderingjew

In no way was I underestimating (or otherwise disrespecting) RI.  In fact, the only reason I mentioned RI was that the picture illustrating Durk's BBQ looked so dog-gone ... well ... "authentic":

I was simply applauding the evident fact that the "True Gospel" of Barbecue has seemingly - and happily - become metastatic.

Oh, I know you weren't but I was just pointing out some of the "old (and not so old)  folk" who have a false perception of what Rhode Island has to offer.
All I've been hearing amongst my millennial  (and latter generation X ) colleagues all weekend is "food truck!" "food trucks! food trucks!"
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8048
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 12:34:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby IndianaPete 2017/08/11 14:28:09
IndianaPete
After clicking off ads and having ads flash at me for ten pages, I finally gave up.

One of my pet peeves as well.

I did find that Wolf's Bar-B-Q is in Evansville, so it might be worth a visit if you get down that way.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5310
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 14:00:01 (permalink)
You cant eat bbq in Rhode Island!

Its not regionally appropriate, for garsh sakes!

Get yourself a snail salad instead
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 16:05:22 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
You cant eat bbq in Rhode Island!

Its not regionally appropriate, for garsh sakes!

Get yourself a snail salad instead

Maybe a generation or two ago
Time marches on

However Baked beans is still very popular in Boston and Hotdish and Swedish Meatballs in Minneapolis
all everyone ever eats in Cincinnati is Greek meat Sauce
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 291
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/11 16:33:50 (permalink)
wanderingjew
all everyone ever eats in Cincinnati is Greek meat Sauce

And goetta... 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3933
Re: 50 States, 50 Amazing Barbeque Joints 2017/08/12 16:22:52 (permalink)
IndianaPete

First of all, this slideshow sucked. I don't even mean the content. I mean that it was slow to load and a sheer pain in the behind to get through. That said, the Google Chrome extension, AdBlocker Plus is your friend. It will make all web surfing much easier. 

As for Florida, they have chosen an expanding chain (which is often the places you hear given credit in Florida - i.e. Sonny's), but my pick has been (for a while now) Tom Jenkins BBQ in Fort Lauderdale. I often find myself telling out-of-towners about some bbq joints in Florida that are "good - for Florida" (Four Rivers Smokehouse, in the Orlando area fits that bill for me), but Jenkins would be good in a bbq-centric town. 

If you want any more detail, I have written about the place more thoroughly in a previous post.
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5