AnsweredA Roadfood Evanston Day, July 29, 2018

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 770
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/24 09:52:35 (permalink)
He'll be hoping for Coconut cream and/or pecan!
cookielover3
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/24 13:30:46 (permalink)
David,
That schedule looks amazing! You have a lot of delicious foods to look forward to. It's funny I was at Poochies on a Saturday and read that you went on the next day.  I've never been to Hoosier Mama but all your pictures and descriptions have me drooling.  I will have to try to soon! I wish I were healthy enough to go with you all. I look forward to reading about it afterwards!
Thank you for putting this together.
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1191
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/25 01:06:08 (permalink)
cookielover3
David,
That schedule looks amazing! You have a lot of delicious foods to look forward to. It's funny I was at Poochies on a Saturday and read that you went on the next day.  I've never been to Hoosier Mama but all your pictures and descriptions have me drooling.  I will have to try to soon! I wish I were healthy enough to go with you all. I look forward to reading about it afterwards!
Thank you for putting this together.

If you do make it to Hoosier Mama I'm sure you'll love it. This is what I had this evening.

The most amazing Sour Cream Dutch Blueberry Pie. I'm not sure if I've ever had SCD pie before. I'm not a big fan of sour cream, but my pie guru ChiTownDiner told me to go for it, so I did. It's spectacular.

And an almost equally amazing Lemon Chess with Sticky Blueberries. 

Sometimes it's advisable to try things outside of your comfort zone. Although I must say, it was difficult for me to ignore the blueberry pie just sitting there calling my name. But I just couldn't justify getting three slices.

David

post edited by Davidsanders - 2018/07/25 01:49:41
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/25 07:04:36 (permalink)
You do not walk alone...
Davidsanders
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 00:45:41 (permalink)
Hello everyone. I'm hoping Sunday will be a nice day. My weather channel app is saying a high of 74, with a 20% chance of a stray shower or thunderstorm possible. I'm also hoping that everyone enjoys the places we'll be going to. 

The final tally I have of participants is:

Buddy Roadhouse and Mrs. Roadhouse (2)
ChiTownDiner (1)               
ChiBears15 (1)   
Abe Froeman and Mr. Maki (2)
JRPfeff and Pie Diva, plus Anne Peeples and Jackie Hill (4)
Billyboy and Dayna (2)          
Chicago Style Dog and Nina, and Sam the Dudley Lab (2 plus 1 large Lab)
Iris Arbor and Frank (2)
ScreamingChicken is planning on making an appearance at Edzo’s (1)
LAmuse Bouche (although she never responded on this thread, so I'm not sure) (1?)
Oh, and David Sanders (1)

So, we could have as many as 19. 

Here is the final itinerary, and a few suggestions. Times, of course, are just estimates. 

(first of three early stops)
8:00
New York Bagels
3556 1/2 Dempster (Skokie)
https://www.newyorkbagelandbialy.net
My favorite bagels are the sesame, but I think the thing to do here is to ask for whatever last came out of the oven.

8:30
DB3 Donuts
1704 Central Street
http://www.db3donuts.com
I love the lemon glazed (although I don’t know if it will be on the menu), the chocolate glazed and the glazed raised. They also have a number of fancy donuts, which I haven’t tried.

9:15
Patisserie Coralie
600 Davis Street
http://bestfrenchpastries.com/patisseriecoralie/index.html
I really like their croissants, and the strawberry croissant that I had on my last visit was terrific. 

(first official stop)
10:00-11:15
Hoosier Mama
749 Chicago Ave.
http://hoosiermamapie.com
I think most area Roadfooders know Hoosier Mama. You can tell from my posts that I love this place. The pies are fabulous, and I really like the biscuits and quiche also.

11:30-12:30
Taco Diablo
1026 Davis Street
http://www.tacodiablo.com
I like the tacos a lot, although they’re more upscale and maybe not as authentic as a place like El Potosi. I like the spicy shrimp and the carne asada, but they also have a lot of interesting combinations, like duck and pork chorizo, lamb barbacoa and others. I also like the chips and salsa a lot.

12:40-1:40
Edzo's
1571 Sherman Avenue
http://edzos.com
Edzo’s has my favorite burger these days, although the bun sometimes seems a bit too thick. The one I always get is the 4 ounce griddled (smashdown) burger, although they also have an 8 ounce char burger. And the fries are wonderful. You can get them with all sorts of toppings, including garlic, cheese, chili, bacon, even Italian beef gravy. I’ve had the “Old Fries”, which are extra brown and extra crunchy, but I really like the plain ones and don’t see any reason to doctor them. Although maybe the Merkt’s would be a good choice. I haven’t tried them. I did have a corn dog quite a number of years ago, but found the breading to be too thick. Maybe it’s different now? 

1:45-2:15
Frio Gelato
1301 Chicago Avenue
https://www.friogelato.com
Frio’s Argentina Gelato has numerous interesting flavors, including Milk Caramel Chocolate Chip, Fig with Cognac, Limoncello with Vodka and Blackberry. It’s very good gelato.

2:30-3:30 
Lulu's
1026 Davis Street
http://www.lulusevanston.com
My favorite thing at Lulu’s is the peanut sesame noodles. I also like the pot stickers and hot and sour soup, although both are very filling. If it’s very crowded and we don’t think we want to wait, I would suggest that I could pick up about 8 orders of the noodles and we could take them to my house.

(Audible)
Al’s Deli
914 Noyes Street
http://alsdeli.net
The only thing I’ve had at Al’s Deli is the cookie, and the iced sugar cookie is very, very popular.  While waiting for a cookie one day I saw the man behind the counter making some pretty interesting sandwiches, including a smoked salmon and brie, and a number of different cheese (Brie, Jarlsberg, White Cheddar, Dill Havarti, Gruyere) sandwiches on a baguette. Their website says that they close at 4:00 on Sundays, so this could be a bit tight, depending on how things are running. 

3:45-4:45  (could be pushed back, depending on time spent at Al’s)
Evanston Chicken Shack
1925 Ridge Avenue
http://www.evanstonchickenshack.com
I’ve had the fried chicken and the fried shrimp, and both are really good. I think the fried chicken is as good as any I’ve had outside of the south.

We’ll be ordering the chicken and/or shrimp and bringing it to my house, which is close by. I'll put my address on the printed version of this itinerary that I will pass out on Sunday. Hopefully it will be a nice day and we will be able to eat outside. 

5:00-6:15
Poochie’s
3602 Dempster St.
Skokie
http://www.poochieshotdogs.com
Most local Roadfooders are very familiar with Poochie’s, much more so than I am. I really enjoyed the char salami sandwich I had a few weeks ago, but the next time I will have it on a regular hot dog bun. I also have liked the hot dogs and the fries.

6:30
Graeter’s
940 Green Bay Road (Winnetka)
https://www.graeters.com/retail-stores/chicago/winnetka
I would think most Roadfooders know of Graeter’s. It’s my favorite ice cream. I love the chip flavors, especially toffee chip, mint chocolate chip and peanut butter chip.

Good luck to all!

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 08:03:27 (permalink)
Two Fine points to be made...

Cliff has requested i enjoy pie for him, therefore while I'll be attending alone I will be eating for two.  

LAmuse Bouche has not fully acclimated to the Midwest.  As part of the Sultan's Secret Society, they were forbidden from discussing East Coast Roadfood get togethers on Roadfood.  Given time, both the pain, suffering and openness should ease.  
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 11:16:56 (permalink)
I have horrible news....just got home from the hospital-got tied up in Katies leash and fell-broke my darn ankle!!!So I am not going anywhere for a few weeks. Bitterly disappointed. Have fun and think of me....
Davidsanders
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 11:24:26 (permalink)
ann peeples
I have horrible news....just got home from the hospital-got tied up in Katies leash and fell-broke my darn ankle!!!So I am not going anywhere for a few weeks. Bitterly disappointed. Have fun and think of me....

I'm so sorry! I hope your recovery will be swift and complete.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 11:44:43 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ann peeples

I'm so sorry! I hope your recovery will be swift and complete.

I am now having pie for three...got you covered Ann!  

And sorry to hear about the ankle!  
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2018/07/26 11:54:19
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 11:52:50 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Cliff has requested i enjoy pie for him, therefore while I'll be attending alone I will be eating for two.  

LAmuse Bouche has not fully acclimated to the Midwest.  As part of the Sultan's  Ayersian-Bethgrd-Karilyn Secret Society, they were forbidden from discussing East Coast Roadfood get togethers on Roadfood.  Given time, both the pain, suffering and openness should ease.  

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 11:55:20 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

LAmuse Bouche has not fully acclimated to the Midwest.  As part of the Sultan's  Ayersian-Bethgrd-Karilyn Secret Society, they were forbidden from discussing East Coast Roadfood get togethers on Roadfood.  Given time, both the pain, suffering and openness should ease.  

What a spineless shifting of the blame...you seem to know how to post!  
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 13:45:56 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

Nope...they call the shots..not me...

I love the numerous responses...I'm getting for Sokolowski's and the Blue gate....
Oh that reminds me....
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/26 14:31:10 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

Nope...they call the shots..not me...

I love the numerous responses...I'm getting for Sokolowski's and the Blue gate....
Oh that reminds me....

...that it's time for another BUMP!  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 15:22:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2018/07/28 15:32:34
I received a PM from ChiBears15 saying the Evanston Crawl has been cancelled...say it ain't so David!  
Davidsanders
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 15:28:32 (permalink)
NO NO NO.

It’s definitely on.

I’ll be at New York Bagel at 8, and I’ll be picking up a dozen DB3 donuts for Buddy at about 8:30 to deliver to him when he arrives at the first (official) stop at Mama’s (who, by the way, has SCD blackberry today).
post edited by Davidsanders - 2018/07/28 15:31:09
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 15:32:29 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I received a PM from ChiBears15 saying the Evanston Crawl has been cancelled...say it ain't so David!  

Sorry, that PM was meant for Brad.  My bad.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5803
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 15:56:10 (permalink)
ChiBears15
ChiTownDiner

Just don't mess with The Sultan.
Davidsanders
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 16:16:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/07/28 17:06:36
JRPfeff
ChiBears15
ChiTownDiner

Just don't mess with The Sultan.

Who in their right mind would?
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 991
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 16:37:02 (permalink)
LAmuse Bouche told Buddy, when offered a spot in the carpool, that she’d be driving on her own. Not sure if she’ll be there from the beginning or meeting up later.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 17:06:23 (permalink)
Davidsanders
NO NO NO.

It’s definitely on.

I’ll be at New York Bagel at 8, and I’ll be picking up a dozen DB3 donuts for Buddy at about 8:30 to deliver to him when he arrives at the first (official) stop at Mama’s (who, by the way, has SCD blackberry today).

I am watching the Pie Board very closely....see you at 8am!  
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 18:38:36 (permalink)
David has picked a very opportune time to hold this tour.  This post and photos from LTHForum.com indicate some prime pickin's for pie.

Also of note, the dozen donuts David is delivering from DB3 will be cut up into shareable pieces and made available to anyone who missed the early stops.

Finally, LAmuse Bouche indicated she'd meet us at Hoosier Mama.  She'd llike to catch a ride from there with anyone who has an open spot.  No commitment to stay to the end, but only a total loser would bail before Graeter's, right?  So, I'm sure she (and everyone else) will be there right to the Black Raspberry Chip end.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9240
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 20:30:40 (permalink)
ChiBears15
ChiTownDiner

Thanks, CB.  As I'm not going to be able to participate tomorrow it's good to know I won't be missing anything.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 22:18:20 (permalink)
Not even Edzo's???

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/28 23:00:10 (permalink)
Just so nobody thinks I've been falling down on the job, the last two nights I decided I'd better check up on two places on the schedule tomorrow, just to make sure they hadn't had a huge drop in their standards in the last week.

Last night's flight at Hoosier Mama was Lemon Chess with sticky blueberries, Black and Blueberry and Plum cherry berry.

Tonight I forced myself to go back to Graeter's, for a double of peanut butter chip and toffee chip.

A couple of nice size chunks!

In case anyone was worried, there has been no slipping of the standards of either establishment.

See you tomorrow.

David

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/29 07:44:46 (permalink)
I slept better knowing this....

Here we go again....total loser huh? 
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3678
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/29 09:08:14 (permalink)
 I regret to inform you that Sam the Dudley Lab will not be joining us on the tour.
The weather will be too warm to have him in the car without a/c. 

CSD
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/29 10:02:01 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Here we go again....total loser huh? 

No names were mentioned.  Why in heaven's name would you assume...?

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5803
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/29 22:45:37 (permalink)
David,

Excellent event today. I think that every stop was a winner. Thank you for all your efforts in organizing this for us.

CTD & CB15 - This feud has gone on too long and is creeping way too close to reaching Burr-Hamilton dimensions. Now that Gregg & Jeff have made up over Char Salami greatness, you two are next. The obvious choice following Cortados and Char Salami is Lutefisk. I think The Sultan should officiate your sharing of the Lutefisk during his Grand Tour in September.

Jim
Davidsanders
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/29 23:04:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/07/30 06:03:53
Wherever there is Lutefisk I will be going for regionally inappropriate barbecue.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: A Roadfood Day Crawl in Evanston? 2018/07/30 02:24:57 (permalink)
It would have been hard for this day to have been any more perfect.  Not a single weak link in the tour, beautiful weather, and two out of town guests with whom to share the bounty.  Highlights included excellent Tacos and a high end version of the Mexican street food "Elotes" at Taco Diablo, the BBQ Bacon CheeseBurger at Edzo's, incredibly rich Chocolate Sorbet (yes, you read that right, sorbet) at Frio Gelato, and a spread of wonderfully light but intensely flavored small plate dishes at Lulu's Noodles.

Somehow, after all that (plus four early breakfast/pastry stops), we were still able to appreciate the fantastic Fried Chicken from Evanston Chicken Shack.  Even as a carry out order, it was incredibly crispy with a melt in your mouth coating over the piping hot, moist and flavorful meat.  ScreamingChicken would have been in ecstasy over this beautifully prepared yardbird.  I was deeply disappointed he wasn't there to attempt his boast of eating a hundred of the Fried Shrimp.  They were indeed delicious, plump, and moist.  But after everything else we'd already consumed, I would have easily collected on any amount bet.

It would be difficult to top that outstanding Fried Chicken, but Poochie's delivered with some excellent versions of Chicago classics.  ChiTownDiner and I split their signature Char-Salami Sandwich.  We discovered that ordering it on a Hot Dog bun instead of the proscribed French Bread is the way to go.

Normally they stuff two generous slabs of well charred Vienna Beef Salami into a length of chewy French Bread.  It's delicious, but frankly all that chewing distracts from the beautiful flavors of the Salami and well chosen condiments.  Serving it on a softer Hot Dog bun presents several advantages.  First, it's easier to eat, with none of the condiments squirting out the back end.  Secondly, as mentioned above, the important flavors aren't overshadowed by the bread. And finally, they serve it up with one slab of Salami each on two separate Hot Dog buns with all the desired condiments on both; two sandwiches for the price of one!

In the spirit of true Peace and Friendship CTD and I agreed on Merkt's Cheddar Spread, Grilled Onions, Mustard, and Relish as our condiments, with Sport Peppers on the side.   The peppers never showed up, but it didn't matter as the other items made for a perfect combination of flavors to compliment the all beef Salami.

But the most memorable moment came when New York native billyboy took his first bite of a true Chicago Style Hot Dog.  He almost started a riot when he attempted to put ketchup on it, but CTD and I wrestled the squirt bottle out of his hands and saved him from eternal embarrassment.  If you're lucky, you may see a photo of billyboy the split second before he went down that road to perdition, saved only by his quick thinking friends.

The day's only disappointment was of my own making at our last stop, Graeter's Ice Cream.  It's been a while since our last visit and I had my brain fixated on a scoop of my personal favorite (as recommended by buffetbuster), Black Raspberry Chip.  When I looked at the menu board I saw there were three Seasonal Specials, Watermelon Sorbet (which I tried and loved last summer), Peach, and Maple Cinnamon.  Our server kindly accommodated my request for samples of each and they were, of course, all fantastic.

I'm not sure if it was my inability to decide between the three specials or my predisposition to get the Black Raspberry Chip that caused me to falter, but I ended up going with the safe choice rather than the limited edition flavors.  As good as that Black Raspberry Chip was, I still kicked myself for not getting one of the other three.  And before you ask, after seven other stops plus a shared box of donuts from DB3, no, multiple scoops was not an option for me.

But I'll tell you what, if that was the worst thing that happened today, I'd do it all over again in a billyboy New York minute!

Thanks to Davidsanders for organizing today's tour and for all the "sacrifices" he made doing multiple test runs before the actual event.

All we need now are ChiBears15's photos and the day will be complete.

Buddy
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5