A Short Trip To St. Louis

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
2018/04/06 17:06:18 (permalink)

A Short Trip To St. Louis

Well, the kids Spring Break gave us the opportunity to take a trip and we chose to spend a couple of rainy days in St. Louis. It was an interesting drive from the Indy area to St. Louis. We had to detour part of the way onto Hwy 40 due to a car fire that was blocking the interstate (big thanks go out to Waze for that one). We didn't stop for lunch anywhere on the way there, so we made getting a snack a priority. First stop was Ted Drewe's (even before checking into our hotel). I had a Mocha and it was just soooo good! A nice coffee flavour and that rich custard flavour went well together. I was a happy camper!

After getting our custard fix we drove up The Hill and over to our hotel (the Hampton Inns Suites by the Science Museum). After getting situated and rested up a bit (the girls went for a swim) we decided to head over to the Loop for dinner at Salt + Smoke. Thanks to the RF'er's who suggested it! It was inspired and may well be the best BBQ outside of Alabama  and Memphis. I encourage anyone visiting SL to eat there if you like BBQ. It is phenomenal!

My son had a fried pickle appetiser. I helped him out with a couple and they were quite good. Better than average that I have had elsewhere.

The wife and I split an order of fried chicken skins. These were really good and so tasty! I'd definitely have then again.

I ordered a combo plate with pulled pork and ribs, with a side of their killer mac and cheese (worth the trip by itself) and a ramekin of chili. The ribs were St. Louis style and needed no sauce whatsoever. They were smoked perfectly. The pulled pork was moist and tender and went well with the sauces they provided, (all of which were rather good). The mac and cheese was delectable! It would be easy to make a meal of just that! The chili, on the other hand was a real disappointment. Too thick and not chili-like at all. I'd definitely pass on this one next time I go there. Every meal gets a popover, too. It's bread.

My son had burnt ends and chicken wings. The burnt ends were really good, as were the chicken wings (by his testimony).

My wife had the combo, too and got ribs and brisket. This was the best brisket I've ever had a taste of. Moist and smoked to perfection. I think next time I'll skip the pulled pork and go with the brisket.

My daughter wasn't feeling BBQ so she went with a Caesar Salad that she rather enjoyed. I also got to have a Ski Soda from the tap. It was really tasty!

The next morning we were wanting some coffee so we went across the street from our hotel to a local coffee shop, Comet Coffee. My wife had a really good cappuccino, (one of the best and strongest she's had outside of Italy, according to her). I had a pot of really strong and fruity Costa Rican. The pour over pot came with enough for 3 cups. It was a great cup and not overpriced! The kids had hot chocolates and pastries and were happy!

After our coffee it was off to the City Museum. Not a museum in the normal sense, though. It's a more interactive arts and industrial display more than anything. If you have kids with you it's worth the time. They have a multistory slide that is a hoot and loads of artsy installations and climbing activities for those so inclined.

13 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6080
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/06 17:39:27 (permalink)
    Glad you liked Salt + Smoke.  Next time we're passing through StL I'd like to try a few more of their menu items.

The City Museum looks fantastic!  Glad you had fun.

Buddy
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/06 17:52:56 (permalink)
    After our trip to the City Museum we needed lunch, so we went back to the Loop and visited Fitz's (it's literally next door to Salt + Smoke). Fitz's is best known for their range of Soda's and Root Beer, something I was really wanting to try. Add in the fact that they have an extensive gluten free menu for folks like my wife and we were looking forward to it. Burgers all around, as well as bottomless draught Root Beer for us, (and a really good local beer for my wife).

Here's what I was really looking forward to. A nice, heady draught Root Beer! It was really good, too. Heavy on the vanilla flavour and with a good Root Beer flavour. Not a spicy version, at all. Just an old fashioned Root Beer.

The Menu!

My son, the App Hound, had a plate of toasted Ravs as an appetiser. They were actually pretty good.

I had the Patty Melt and it was pretty decent. The side of beans were OK, too.

My son had a Black and Blue Burger, that came with an ungodly amount of pickles. But he rather liked it anyway.

My daughter had a bacon and cheese burger that she found acceptable.

And my wife had a bacon and Swiss burger on a gluten free bun, (something all too few places offer). The fries were also gluten free but weren't very good. They really need to work on those, there's no excuse for a mediocre fry in this day and age.

All in all, the Root Beers were worth the trip, but the burgers were only OK. Not a great burger, but not the worst.

After lunch we too advantage of the clearing weather and trekked off to the St. Louis Zoo. It, like many civic attractions in StL, has free admission and, since we like zoos, we were looking forward to it.

That ate up the rest of our afternoon and after a brief respite back at the hotel we decided on a light supper. No-one was overly hungry so we decided to try the Tap Room, which was literally right outside the hotel doors.

My wife, the Grandmaster beer judge, went with a flight of their beers and found them to be quite good. She also had a chicken curry kebab that she rather liked.

I went with a couple of items off their bites menu and had some nice deviled eggs, savory rather than sweet and actually decent.

I also had what was advertised as a beef filet kebab. While it was beef, I have my doubts as to it's status as filet. It was much too tough for that. I figure it was a couple of chunks of sirloin. Regardless, it was OK.

Next morning was more than a bit rainy and the Comet Coffee shop was crowded, so we got coffees to go. I went with a Latte' this time, (the barista had suggested it) and it was just great! The espresso came through nice and fruity and it was one of the more flavourful coffee drinks I've ever had. I also had a chocolate muffin that was very good! If you get the chance to stop in here for coffee I highly recommend it! The coffee is great and tasty and the staff is really nice!

Next stop was the Science Museum. A nice place for the kids to visit. Really more of a Children's Museum than anything else, though.

Our final stop in St. Louis, as we headed back home, was our first stop. We just had to get some more Ted Drewe's custard, even though it was totally out of the way.

I went with a Mocha and Reese's Cups this time. The peanut better cups really overpowered the mocha. I'd skip them next time.

And, of interest to foodies out there. On the way to the interstate we got to pass the St. Louis Bread Company, the first store of what would one day become Panera Bread. And here I figured they were a California thing.

Well, that's it. Told ya it was a short trip, but we enjoyed it anyway!

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8378
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/06 21:39:48 (permalink)
    Very nice report - you and the family did a lot in just a couple of days!

I've not yet been to Salt + Smoke...perhaps one of these times.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9249
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/07 09:01:54 (permalink)
    Nice trip!! That museum looks like fun!
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 765
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/07 11:44:26 (permalink)
    Excellent report. That custard looks great.

As you mentioned, when my wife and I went to St. Louis, we were impressed by the number of major tourist attractions, including the zoo, that were free to the public.
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/07 11:47:29 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Very nice report - you and the family did a lot in just a couple of days!

I've not yet been to Salt + Smoke...perhaps one of these times.

It is not to be missed! The food was fantastic!
    fike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/07 22:53:10 (permalink)
    Wow, the food looks really good! It's even better that you enjoy it with your family

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10342
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/08 09:21:21 (permalink)
    Great stuff in a short time! Perfect!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12191
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/09 08:21:57 (permalink)
    Beautifully photographed report Root-Beer Man!  You and your family sure packed a lot in to a short amount of time.  

We really enjoy going to St. Louis and make a point to go every year. And we go to Ted Drewes everyday while in town. 
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/09 18:48:22 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Beautifully photographed report Root-Beer Man!  You and your family sure packed a lot in to a short amount of time.  

We really enjoy going to St. Louis and make a point to go every year. And we go to Ted Drewes everyday while in town. 

Thanks for the compliments. All photos were courtesy of my iPhone 7. The quality is way better than my aged Kodak digital camera and I've never been happier with the photo outcomes I get!
    We all enjoyed our short foray to St Louis. I was really surprised by the sheer amount of brick that makes up that city. It's Bricktown USA. We all loved Ted Drewe's and can't wait to get back for some more of their delightful custard. It was well worth the trip just to have it!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4224
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/09 19:19:37 (permalink)
    Sounded like a great trip!  My family would have loved it.  One question..................you use the phrase "rather liked it".  I am not sure what that means.
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/09 20:22:56 (permalink)
    Greymo
    Sounded like a great trip!  My family would have loved it.  One question..................you use the phrase "rather liked it".  I am not sure what that means.

It means we definitely liked it.
    Ram4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: A Short Trip To St. Louis 2018/04/15 12:58:19 (permalink)
    It seems the few times I've ordered a concrete it always seems to be melting, but your photos from Ted Drewes show theirs to still be thick.  I've had Ted Drewes in the past and I loved it.  But I usually got custard in a cup as a sundae, not a concrete.  Either way, it's a must stop in St. Louis for me.

Salt+Smoke is definitely on my list to try, thanks for the report.  It seems the more BBQ joints I try or see people try, the brisket and ribs usually are the go-to items with pulled pork being an afterthought.  Not always of course...
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5