A Tale of Two Cheesesteaks

Author
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1072
2018/04/21 22:17:04 (permalink)

A Tale of Two Cheesesteaks

Roadside burger-and-hot-dog season is almost upon us again, and some of Connecticut's longstanding joints are wasting no time. Harry's in Colchester has already been open for weeks, and today, tooling around the Waterbury area, I confirmed that Al's in Naugatuck is as well. On a whim, I decided to try what was listed on Al's menu as a "Philly cheesesteak."

I can truthfully say that I wasn't too disappointed, because this is just what one often gets for a cheesesteak around here: shaved beef on a whatever-roll with white American cheese - it's really its own legitimate variant. (Maybe it's more properly called a steak and cheese, I dunno, but that's not what Al's sign said.) Anyway, I say "too disappointed," because, come on folks, you can at least melt your cheese!

Lesson learned - stick to what a place does best unless you're feeling adventurous.

For comparison, let's rewind the clock a few weeks to when I was antique-hunting in Norwich. There, you have a place called, imaginatively enough, Philly's. It makes a big deal in its decor about being authentically Philadelphian, yes, the real thing, you bet, you can count on us.  A sign behind the counter even states that they use genuine Amoroso rolls.

I don't know if you'd ever find a cheesesteak in Philly served quite like this ...

... but the cheese was Cheez Whiz, and the roll was indeed from Amoroso's:

Thoroughly enjoyable. I will say that every single cheesesteak I've had here in Connecticut has had beef shaved somewhat more thinly than what I had at Pat's:

Oh - Philly's also had "Kobe Pizza Fries."

I assume that's a reference to Kobe Bryant. The fries were a nice experiment, but ultimately just made me wish I had real pizza.

Barring some other discovery, it seems like Philly's is about as close as I'm going to get. I'd say they do a fine job. The only problem is that that corner of Connecticut has its share of other good eats, such as Kamp Dog, The Shack, and the old fixture D'elia's, so who knows when I'll get around to a return visit!

4 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8629
    Re: A Tale of Two Cheesesteaks 2018/04/21 22:28:48 (permalink)
    Do Harry's and Al's offer provolone as a cheese option?  If they do I think you have more research ahead of you.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5640
    Re: A Tale of Two Cheesesteaks 2018/04/22 03:24:33 (permalink)
    Provel is what a good sandwich needs.
    :)
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re: A Tale of Two Cheesesteaks 2018/04/24 08:08:41 (permalink)
    I accept the steak and cheese sub/grinder/ steak bomb as the New England variation of a Philly cheesesteak. Second cousin, but definitely related. Try one from a greek style 'House of pizza' place.

steve9570
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: A Tale of Two Cheesesteaks 2018/04/29 11:36:17 (permalink)
    Top I agree around here its just called a pepper steak and cheese you have to ask to add onions or mushrooms.
    The "House of pizza" places here finely chop the steak. There is a Sub Shop (as we call them) in Waltham Ma
    called Carl's that sell monster size Steak/cheese subs  over a pound of meat a large ts tough to finish in one sitting!

Steve 

Natick Ma
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5