Helpful ReplyA Terrific Roadfood Weekend

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4114
2017/05/29 20:01:35 (permalink)

A Terrific Roadfood Weekend

Our weekend turned into a real great Roadfood Weekend.

We had a horrible long drive to Foxboro, Mass. and did not eat.  Traffic was dreadful and my daughter in laws phone kept telling us to take different routes because of accidents, ete!  She wanted to obey so that our 6 1/2 hour trip turned into 9 hours where the food options were Subway and Dunkin Doughnuts!

However, the great tailgates, before and after Navy.s Loss to Boston College, really made up for lack of food all day.
Our Roadfood adventure  started at 11:00 Am on Saturday  at the Sea Swirl seaswirlofmystic.com where we had a small but great feast of whole bellies  and then on to our next stop which was Pepe's Pizza in New Haven. www.pepespizzeria.com  We ordered the large clam (of course) and the  plain one.  The grandchildren decided that they liked Old Forge pizza better but ate their share.

WE were pretty full by then but made a quick stop at Rutts in New Jersey www.ruttshut.com  where we each had one hot dog and then on our way to our hotel in Philadelphia.  Later in the evening we went to Spasso's spassoitaliangrill.com  where we had a wonderful dinner and/or appetizers.  Then it was off to bed.

The next morning it was breakfast of champions at Tony Lukes  www.tonylukes.com  for roast pork and rabe  and cheesesteak sandwiches.  We did not eat the rest of the trip.  Dinner was grilled vegetables and meatloaf, made at home.

Today, on the final day of our "Roadfood" weekend, we chose to go to The Point
Restaurant.    www.thepointcrabhouse.com      WJ posted about his meal there several years ago.   We have gone back a few times since, and today was a beautiful day to sit by the river.  We had drinks at the bar and then had our dinner outside at a picnic table.  Great food, great servers and a wonderful view on a warm sunny day.  We then took my granddaughter to the Navel Academy, were she will begin her summer duties tomorrow.  It was a super wonderful weekend for all of us.  
post edited by Greymo - 2017/05/29 21:23:10
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22562
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/29 20:18:41 (permalink)
WOW! The return trip sounds wonderful. Fried clams, Pepe's, holy mackerel. And then, well, never mind. But you're going to have to do something about your grandkids. Old Forge, indeed.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10091
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/29 21:08:19 (permalink)
Greymo

Sounds like "my kind of ideal road trip" I could do without  traffic of course. Too bad we missed you at the Sea Swirl by 90 minutes. I'm glad The Point Crabhouse is still going strong. I know that Chi Town Diner went there a few weeks ago and gave it high marks. Your breakfast in Philly sounds like my breakfast in Philly a couple of years back, when I went to John's Roast Pork for breakfast. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7968
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/29 22:35:08 (permalink)
Greymo
The next morning it was breakfast of champions at Tony Lukes  www.tonylukes.com  for roast pork and rabe  and cheesesteak sandwiches.

wanderingjew
Your breakfast in Philly sounds like my breakfast in Philly a couple of years back, when I went to John's Roast Pork for breakfast.

Those sound like my kinds of breakfasts...do many of the Philly cheesesteak and roast pork shops serve sandwiches during the typical breakfast hours?
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11466
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/29 23:39:45 (permalink)
Fried whole belly clams and a Pepe's pizza and Rutt's Hut?  That would cross three off of my want list right there!
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/30 07:45:08 (permalink)
I agree on the Old Forge Pizza.  Disagreeing would be considered SPAM! 

eruby
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1061
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/30 07:56:27 (permalink)
Frank Urso approves of this trip report!!

eruby would substitute spinach for rabe at Tony Luke's
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10091
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/30 07:56:47 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Greymo
The next morning it was breakfast of champions at Tony Lukes  www.tonylukes.com  for roast pork and rabe  and cheesesteak sandwiches.

wanderingjew
Your breakfast in Philly sounds like my breakfast in Philly a couple of years back, when I went to John's Roast Pork for breakfast.

Those sound like my kinds of breakfasts...do many of the Philly cheesesteak and roast pork shops serve sandwiches during the typical breakfast hours?

Considering I can count the number of times I've been to Philly over the last 10 years on two fingers, I honestly couldn't tell you.  I just know that I had a lot on my plate that particular day so I had to verify if John's Roast Pork opened early enough so that  I could enjoy a roast pork sandwich breakfast.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re: A Terrific Roadfood Weekend 2017/05/30 09:06:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/30 09:28:12
ScreamingChicken
Greymo

wanderingjew

Pat's & Geno's are open 24/7.  My last time in Philly, I skipped the free hotel breakfast and showed up at Geno's at 7 AM.  I wasn't alone. 
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5