Helpful ReplyHot!A cracker Barrel Breakfast.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8821
2017/05/08 16:10:11 (permalink)

A cracker Barrel Breakfast.

Stopped at the Hamilton NJ Cracker Barrel after a paint out my wife participated in in Princeton.. She enjoys Cracker Barrel, so we stopped. I usually don't eat a big breakfast every day, so a breakfast at 5 PM sounded good. Not having had a lunch,I went big,choosing the Big Boy Breakfast. I had: 3 over easy eggs,cooked perfectly, Grits, hashbrowns, plenty of biscuits, a 6 oz steak, cooked perfectly medium rare,and baked apples. All that was $10.49. Great deal and well done!!! Has anybody else had this?
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11466
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 16:20:50 (permalink)
I haven't had that particular meal but I have enjoyed Cracker Barrel breakfasts when in Texas.  They do it right.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 16:20:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dbldbl 2017/05/09 21:12:29
No, but it sounds good. I've been to the local Cracker Barrel several times to meet friends or for Thanksgiving dinner. Could I make what I eat there at home? Possibly. Am I likely to? No. Believe me, though, in my university town, virtually devoid of Roadfood and chockfull of indifferent chains, all closed on Thanksgiving, by the way, Cracker Barrel is one of my best options. I only wish they did Christmas and Easter as well. This town is practically a ghost town on those days.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22594
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 16:22:55 (permalink)
I've eaten at a Cracker Barrel just one time. It was for lunch, and while I don't remember what I had I do remember that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and the service.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 719
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 16:55:43 (permalink)
I do it when I go to the Milwaukee area because I can't get decent grits or country ham in Wisconsin w/o mail-order.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 17:04:10 (permalink)
I'm a long time CB fan. You can eat a good meal there, (at any of their locations nationwide, and expect good food and service). We were just there Saturday. I had Momma's Pancake Breakfast and left satisfied. The kids had dinner fare (trout and chicken tenders). Best thing about CB is that you can eat a sit down dinner for the price of fast food. I've also become a fan of their grocery items and deli items. Their smoked turkey breast is better than any I've run across in a deli. And their bacon is top notch. The hams are pretty tasty,too.
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1395
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 17:18:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dbldbl 2017/05/09 21:14:09
I was in Indianapolis a few weeks ago and for reasons that don't bear repeating, ended up at the Cracker Barrel on North Michigan/94th for an early dinner.  Had a country dinner plate of fried chicken livers with two sides:  green beans and corn. (I had actually intended to have green beans and carrots, but the server mis-heard me and I didn't want to take the time to have one side replaced.)  I also ordered biscuits; she brought me corn muffins by mistake, and those I did send back because I really wanted the biscuits.  With iced tea and tax, the whole bill was just over $10.  Everything was good, and the portions were more than adequate. 

I went to Hollyhock Hill the next day, which was orders of magnitude superior, but having said that, the Cracker Barrel meal was 'way above passing.  Quick, too.  I'd go there again.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11448
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 18:11:40 (permalink)
I have been to a Cracker Barrel once.......with MH.  We met my friend, Susan and her Mother after their long trip into Columbus from Anchorage.  Their tradition is to meet three of her Mother's sisters and BILs at Cracker Barrel.  So we went along.  I ordered a salad which was excellent (I've had bad ones at other places).  The service was also excellent.  MH doesn't remember but he had the country fried steak, eggs and hash browns.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 18:15:08 (permalink)
My Cracker Barrel story dates back to November 1997.  I flew down to Florida to visit my friend, Gary, and hear his band play a gig at a club in Indian Rocks Beach.  Had a great time, tried my very first Waffle House and spent some QT with my cousins who lived nearby.  I only got to see my cousin Brian for about 15 minutes before he had to leave for work (important to the story later on...).  Gary & I drove from Florida to Central NY in his pickup with his boxer dog and had a helluva road trip.  We stopped at the Jack Daniels Apartments in South Carolina to party with his niece and I definitely drank too much which meant Gary had to drive the next leg (which should have been mine).  I was so hungover and just wanted to feel better when Gary pulled into a Cracker Barrel in somewhere in North Carolina and I thought, "Well, right about now food will cure me or kill em, so why not?".  We were checking out the gift shop while waiting for a table when Gary turned to me and said, "Hey, isn't that your cousin, Brian?"  I turned around and there was Brian with his girlfriend, on their way to a camping trip.  So, I was able to spend some QT with him after all and the meal was pretty good too.  I think I had a meat & three of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beens and carrots.  Tasty and a great way to cap off the night.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 18:49:08 (permalink)
leethebard
Stopped at the Hamilton NJ Cracker Barrel after a paint out my wife participated in in Princeton.. She enjoys Cracker Barrel, so we stopped. I usually don't eat a big breakfast every day, so a breakfast at 5 PM sounded good. Not having had a lunch,I went big,choosing the Big Boy Breakfast. I had: 3 over easy eggs,cooked perfectly, Grits, hashbrowns, plenty of biscuits, a 6 oz steak, cooked perfectly medium rare,and baked apples. All that was $10.49. Great deal and well done!!! Has anybody else had this?

Yes.  I always get the Country Boy breakfast with the steak when we go to Cracker Barrel.  The place is always packed, even during off peak times.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 20:07:52 (permalink)
I guess I should consider myself blessed that I have so many wonderful restaurants surrounding me in Rhode Island and when I travel therefore I've never considered Cracker Barrel as an option to visit.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 20:49:02 (permalink)
My former friend subjected me to Cracker Barrel    many times.  By the time we got through the "gift shop", I had already lost my appetite.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 21:00:43 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I guess I should consider myself blessed that I have so many wonderful restaurants surrounding me in Rhode Island and when I travel therefore I've never considered Cracker Barrel as an option to visit.

Until we had to go to the cracker barrel with lleechef's good friend from Alaska and her mother the only time I had ever been to a Cracker barrel was back in the '80s when I stopped for gas near Knoxville and there was a Cracker barrel next door. I went in for a quick cup of coffee, and after battling my way through the kitsch shop I got to the counter and sat down (I know not every Cracker Barrel has a counter). I waited about ten minutes for a server to stop by and I ordered coffee. Another ten minutes without the coffee and I left. All that said, the fact is when we went to the Cracker Barrel I mentioned above the food was really good and the service was fine. I'd go back.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/08 23:22:12 (permalink)
You are, indeed, fortunent, Dale. If you were visiting with me and wanted to drive someplace really decent in the expanded metropolis I'd be pleased to go if you were doing the driving. Unfortunently, I have physical handicaps which keep me from driving on the interstate so I have to eat at home or make do with a few of the local places which I would call decent but not particularly special. I would LOVE to be able to eat in your area.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8821
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 04:51:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dbldbl 2017/05/09 21:21:12
wanderingjew

There are many,many wonderful dinning experiences here, but we also love Cracker barrel. One doesn't exclude the other. As many have said above,when traveling,it's a dependable place to stop. Seems that most are very good...Their Sunday only fried chicken is quite good. Give it a try,I think you'd find it a safe bet when travelling the interstates.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 07:22:47 (permalink)
wanderingjew

The same around here, except none have real country ham or grits....my breakfast favorites. Not Machine Shed.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 07:23:02 (permalink)
leethebard
wanderingjew

There are many,many wonderful dinning experiences here, but we also love Cracker barrel. One doesn't exclude the other. As many have said above,when traveling,it's a dependable place to stop. Seems that most are very good...Their Sunday only fried chicken is quite good. Give it a try,I think you'd find it a safe bet when travelling the interstates.

There are many wonderful, dependable  restaurants along the interstate, they all happen to be local and independent too. I think I'll continue to go with those.
I'm glad there are several restaurants here in Rhode Island that have grits on the menu. In fact I think I've seen shrimp and grits on the menu on more restaurants here than I've seen in Charleston. Dante's Kitchen , a local's favorite  less than a mile walk from me does an excellent rendition
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/05/09 07:26:36
Louis
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 08:44:37 (permalink)
I've been going to Cracker Barrel since the early 1980s.  Then about ten years ago they built one about 90 seconds from my house.  After a while, I didn't go there very often, as I knew the menu.

They had a very good red eye gravy concoction, but they took it off the menu a couple of months ago.  Probably because of low sales.  Most people in the South (these days) have never even heard of red eye gravy.  Waiters and waitresses at Cracker Barrel would ask me, "What is that stuff?"  It was really good when cornbread was crumbled up in a dish of it and eaten; it just soaked up the gravy.  Also worked well when one of their pork chops was crumbled up in little pieces and steeped in it.

What I go in there for now is in the store section.  They have about 30 different brands of soft drinks, many of which I have never heard of.  Butterscotch beer.  Praline-flavored soft drink, etc.  They even had Moxie, which I don't like but will use it as a gag.  (I'll get people to drink it and dare them not to spit it out.)

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 11:21:06 (permalink)
Shucks, we have grits and real country ham right here at home.  We don't need to go out to eat.  Oh, and buckwheat for flapjacks AND REAL MAPLE SYRUP FROM CANADA.  Thanks to the Nairns!!!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5023
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 11:24:05 (permalink)
Louis
I've been going to Cracker Barrel since the early 1980s.  Then about ten years ago they built one about 90 seconds from my house.  After a while, I didn't go there very often, as I knew the menu.

They had a very good red eye gravy concoction, but they took it off the menu a couple of months ago.  Probably because of low sales.  Most people in the South (these days) have never even heard of red eye gravy.  Waiters and waitresses at Cracker Barrel would ask me, "What is that stuff?"  It was really good when cornbread was crumbled up in a dish of it and eaten; it just soaked up the gravy.  Also worked well when one of their pork chops was crumbled up in little pieces and steeped in it.

What I go in there for now is in the store section.  They have about 30 different brands of soft drinks, many of which I have never heard of.  Butterscotch beer.  Praline-flavored soft drink, etc.  They even had Moxie, which I don't like but will use it as a gag.  (I'll get people to drink it and dare them not to spit it out.)

Same with us. When Cracker Barrel was regional, it was a treat to eat there. Same thing with Sonic and Waffle House. Now that they are available everyday, they rarely rise to the top of our dining choices.
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 11:48:01 (permalink)
I have to weigh in on CB grits. ugggh.  At least in Indiana, they are really runny.  You could suck them up with a straw.  I did have them in Georgia and they were of a proper consistency, although still not as thick as I like.  We have bought their package of grits and made them at home.  They are a superior product, but somehow the proper directions don't make it to the CB kitchen. 
My brother ate some grits at Maxine's Chicken & Waffles last week.  He held up a spoonful upside down and they stuck, so it's not a Hoosier thing, it's a CB issue.

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 12:19:35 (permalink)
The grits have always been fine at the Wisconsin and Illinois CB locations. A nice consistency like I would get in Southern VA. I also have bought the packages...seemed the same as the restaurants'. Maybe in Indiana everyone is striving to master the perfect Gary style Pizza. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 12:33:33 (permalink)
mlm
You are, indeed, fortunent, Dale. If you were visiting with me and wanted to drive someplace really decent in the expanded metropolis I'd be pleased to go if you were doing the driving. Unfortunently, I have physical handicaps which keep me from driving on the interstate so I have to eat at home or make do with a few of the local places which I would call decent but not particularly special. I would LOVE to be able to eat in your area.

I must be, because every place I've lived around the country throughout my entire life (not just RI) has had a wonderful selection of solid local restaurants either walking, biking or short driving distance away. Could I really be that lucky?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 13:10:40 (permalink)
lleechef
Shucks, we have grits and real country ham right here at home.  We don't need to go out to eat.  Oh, and buckwheat for flapjacks AND REAL MAPLE SYRUP FROM CANADA.  Thanks to the Nairns!!!

About that maple syrup. I really pains me to have to admit that Canadian maple syrup is really, really good. Curse you Nairns!
ronnielee54
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 13:28:11 (permalink)
I guess I will never understand the fascination that Yankees have with grits.  I have lived in the south for over 63 years and will not eat them.  I swear I think everybody thinks that is all we live on down hear.  I can't begin to count the times I have been in a cafe and overheard a one tourist say to another "you have to try the grits, they are amazing".
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 13:52:58 (permalink)
I've lived many places, among them Alabama and Virginia as a youngster. Being from Maine, where I spent most of my childhood, grits were something not normally served. My Dad, who had traveled extensively (Air Force) loved them with his fried eggs and sausage...eating the grits with butter. I followed my Dad's lead and have always enjoyed them every now and then. The same as the the other breakfast we used to share (NOT my Brother, Sister, or Mom) was sauteed chicken livers in a red wine mushroom sauce..with eggs and rye toast.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 14:04:53 (permalink)
I never heard of grits until I went to Glee Club in Nashville at The Loveless Café!  Being from PA, then living in France for years, then Michigan.......no grits.  But I do like them now.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 14:05:22 (permalink)
Wintahaba
I've lived many places, among them Alabama and Virginia as a youngster. Being from Maine, where I spent most of my childhood, grits were something not normally served. My Dad, who had traveled extensively (Air Force) loved them with his fried eggs and sausage...eating the grits with butter. I followed my Dad's lead and have always enjoyed them every now and then. The same as the the other breakfast we used to share (NOT my Brother, Sister, or Mom) was sauteed chicken livers in a red wine mushroom sauce..with eggs and rye toast.

The funny thing is just about every other restaurant in Portland proper has them on the menu now, even two decades ago, it was still impossible to find.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 14:08:58 (permalink)
Portland has always been way ahead of Winter Harbor, as things change VERY slowly in Hancock County.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A cracker Barrel Breakfast. 2017/05/09 15:13:05 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Portland has always been way ahead of Winter Harbor, as things change VERY slowly in Hancock County.

I don't think anything has changed there over the last 20 years, or perhaps even over the past 200 years!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5