A future "Best Of" list that will, IMO, be junk

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2795
2019/09/21 15:46:28 (permalink)

A future "Best Of" list that will, IMO, be junk

Our local paper that I still pay (a lot) for, is putting together it's annual "Best Of" list. We used to have 2, but the smaller weekly paper, with the better list was bought out by the bigger.

To nominate or vote, you have to pick 25. I can make a (IMO) reliable vote for 6 to 10 places, at most...........best fried clams?, best breakfast?, best supermarket? etc, but how valuable is my vote for best place to buy glasses, or a wedding dress?

I know why the paper does it. Over half of the ad copy for a month or so is "Vote For Me" ads, so the paper wants to see votes. Maybe I'll vote for my favorite 3 or 4 food places, garden shop, and the cupcake shop owned by a family friend, and then vote at random for the rest. I doubt that I'll be the only one who does.  
post edited by tmiles - 2019/09/21 15:50:01

2 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3669
    Re: A future "Best Of" list that will, IMO, be junk 2019/09/21 18:22:36 (permalink)
    I think I know why the paper(s)/magazine(s) do it. They use to sell advertising to the winners and it works. Who is the 'best' plastic surgeon, etc.? I mean even if you or your spouse used one, how many used more than one to give an intelligent answer? "Best of" lists are a scam. 
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: A future "Best Of" list that will, IMO, be junk 2019/09/22 09:59:27 (permalink)
    My hometown newspaper does this too. I have lived here for many years so I know most of the places around town. If I were newer to this area I would have questions. Many of the questions already have answers because of all the national companies that are known by all. Places like Less Schwab, Auto Zone, National known Fast-food, Steak houses, Sandwich shops and so on. I like the list because it gives some insight on some local places that may be new to me. Places like Best food truck, Best Hamburger, Best Cuban Sandwich and best Sandwich shop. Most of the recommendations are places I already know about. What I look for is what I'm missing on the local level. I don't take this list to heart because the deck could be stacked. It becomes a competition between Best New caster, Best radio station, Best weather person and so on. 
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5