Author
RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 554
2017/11/07 09:22:32 (permalink)

A history of Chicago Style from Chicago

A pretty informative history of Chicago style from the locals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKqkHFYG0Pc

I think they said it best when describing Chicago style as an evening out for the family type meal.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4734
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 11:43:06 (permalink)
I watched this also...all 4 episodes and it's an interesting take.  I will be interested to see if Buddy Roadhouse chimes in with his link to Burt's and Peaqod's.  

Also, I agree with you and the show about it being a family type meal.  Only buffetbuster would order one of these alone!  
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5774
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 13:32:07 (permalink)
No need to link to Burt's Place or Pequod's (or Gulliver's, for that matter).  Although he owes his success to the innovators showcased in these videos, the Pizzas made by Burt Katz were far superior to anything those guys made.  From the balance of flavors and colors of the ingredients, to the lightness of his dough, Burt's creations were in a class by themselves.  A good segment of Roadfoders will attest to that.

As the Latin inscribed placard hanging in the corner read, "Jews make the best pizza."

Buddy
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5274
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 13:43:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/11/07 14:16:10
well, he is Buffetbuster, and this is after all.....a pie
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 14:16:50 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
No need to link to Burt's Place or Pequod's (or Gulliver's, for that matter).  Although he owes his success to the innovators showcased in these videos, the Pizzas made by Burt Katz were far superior to anything those guys made.  From the balance of flavors and colors of the ingredients, to the lightness of his dough, Burt's creations were in a class by themselves.  A good segment of Roadfoders will attest to that.

As the Latin inscribed placard hanging in the corner read, "Jews make the best pizza."

Buddy

I actually meant that Burt learned from someone...was wondering the connection or link to those places. 
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5274
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 15:10:22 (permalink)
I'll take a jewish pizza with ham, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, and any other pork products you have available, thanks......
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8834
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 15:59:41 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
I'll take a jewish pizza with ham, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, and any other pork products you have available, thanks......

?????
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 18:54:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/11/07 20:58:42
CTD,
I think Burt learned his Pizza making skills on the job at his first place, The Inferno, in Evanston.  He started there after it was already opened by a couple of other guys.  After learning the ropes, he moved on to open Gulliver's then Pequod's and finally Burt's Place.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/07 18:56:05 (permalink)
leethebard
TJ Jackson

?????

See above.

Buddy
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 04:21:13 (permalink)
Got it!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22598
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 12:30:47 (permalink)
Excepting the one I was fortunate enough to eat at Burt's, Chicago's deep dish things are casseroles.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10174
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 12:39:47 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Excepting the one I was fortunate enough to eat at Burt's, Chicago's deep dish things are casseroles.

Call it what you want, I  still love em'!
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 649
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 13:38:49 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
CTD,
I think Burt learned his Pizza making skills on the job at his first place, The Inferno, in Evanston.  He started there after it was already opened by a couple of other guys.  After learning the ropes, he moved on to open Gulliver's then Pequod's and finally Burt's Place.

Buddy

I didn’t realize Burt was associated with The Inferno or Gulliver’s. My one experience with the Inferno was not a good one. From what I remember, it was my freshman year at Northwestern, Thanksgiving weekend, most of the students were gone, but I could not afford to go home to Miami for a weekend. At that point I had only heard of deep dish or pan pizza, and finally decided to try it. My big mistake was what I ordered, pineapple and Canadian bacon. Big, big mistake! I was deathly ill the entire night. This was 50 years ago, and I don’t remember, I don’t think I ever went back. I don’t remember when I started going to Gulliver’s, but I went there quite a bit. I’m also starting to remember going to a restaurant where Gulliver’s is located, but having peanuts that you threw the shells on the floor. I think I used to get burgers there. I wonder if that could have been at Gulliver’s, or if I’m just not remembering correctly.

David
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 13:54:14 (permalink)
Davidsanders
BuddyRoadhouse
CTD,

Buddy

I didn’t realize Burt was associated with The Inferno or Gulliver’s. My one experience with the Inferno was not a good one. From what I remember, it was my freshman year at Northwestern, Thanksgiving weekend, most of the students were gone, but I could not afford to go home to Miami for a weekend. At that point I had only heard of deep dish or pan pizza, and finally decided to try it. My big mistake was what I ordered, pineapple and Canadian bacon. Big, big mistake! I was deathly ill the entire night. This was 50 years ago, and I don’t remember, I don’t think I ever went back. I don’t remember when I started going to Gulliver’s, but I went there quite a bit. I’m also starting to remember going to a restaurant where Gulliver’s is located, but having peanuts that you threw the shells on the floor. I think I used to get burgers there. I wonder if that could have been at Gulliver’s, or if I’m just not remembering correctly.

David

Was that in the 1800's?  
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1291
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 14:34:05 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
CTD,

Buddy

Pequod's is still a favorite for my wife and me.  We were pretty upset when my sister moved from Lincoln Village as we thought that was going to be the end of our Pequod's days.  But last time we visited we discovered that Winnetka is not too far from the Morton Grove location.  It's only like 7 miles down 94.  Very interesting location.  It's literally in the middle of a neighborhood.  Like you're driving down this street of all houses thinking the GPS has screwed up and then there it is.  It was just as good as we remembered.  
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 16:01:29 (permalink)
Davidsanders,
Ordering pineapple and Canadian bacon on any kind of Pizza, no matter where it's from, is a huge mistake.  You have no one to blame for that blunder but yourself.  The fact that it was even listed on the menu at The inferno is further proof Burt wasn't in charge there.  He hated any and all oddball toppings for Pizza.  It literally took him decades before he included spinach or any kind of hot pepper on his menu.

Hatteras04,
The Morton Grove store is actually the original location.  Burt opened there in 1971. I worked there from 1973 until the day he sold the place in 1986.  Three years later he reopened as "Starbacks" (eventually changed to "Burt's Place") two blocks away.  I was with him from day one at the new place until the day he closed.

Buddy
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 16:08:15 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders,
Ordering pineapple and Canadian bacon on any kind of Pizza, no matter where it's from, is a huge mistake.  You have no one to blame for that blunder but yourself.  The fact that it was even listed on the menu at The inferno is further proof Burt wasn't in charge there.  He hated any and all oddball toppings for Pizza.  It literally took him decades before he included spinach or any kind of hot pepper on his menu.

Hatteras04,
The Morton Grove store is actually the original location.  Burt opened there in 1971. I worked there from 1973 until the day he sold the place in 1986.  Three years later he reopened as "Starbacks" (eventually changed to "Burt's Place") two blocks away.  I was with him from day one at the new place until the day he closed.

Buddy

I was "eight" in 1973
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4132
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 17:01:21 (permalink)
wanderingjew
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders,

Hatteras04,

wanderingjew
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders,

Hatteras04,

Buddy

I was "eight" in 1973

Buddy

I was "eight" in 1973

Too bad........................those of us who are of age have  had many more great pizzas!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 18:38:44 (permalink)
Greymo
wanderingjew
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders,

Hatteras04,

wanderingjew
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders,

Hatteras04,

Buddy

I was "eight" in 1973

Buddy

I was "eight" in 1973

Too bad........................those of us who are of age have  had many more great pizzas!

Oh those first 27 years of living in the heart of pizza central makes up for that one hundred fold.
Living on Long Island where we have some of the best pizza joints ever- commuting to NYC where I had my pick of pies- and....and... and.... living a mere 6 blocks away from DiFara's- back when no one except those in the neighborhood had even heard of the place!!!   
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4132
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 20:17:08 (permalink)
Well, take it from an old timer.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pizza in Central New York and NE Pa  will be some of the best pizza that you have ever had!  This comes from a gal that has eaten at all the great pizza places in NYC .
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5024
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 21:28:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/11/09 11:11:38
Buddy,

Doing the math, that's close to 40 years that you worked for Burt. I admire your loyalty, but essentially no job advancement in 4 decades is not really a feature you want high on your resume.

Just sayin', as you like to say.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 22:58:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/11/09 11:11:45
ChiTownDiner
Davidsanders
BuddyRoadhouse
CTD,

Buddy

David

Was that in the 1800's?  

1823, just out of high school.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 23:00:43 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders,

Hatteras04,

Buddy

Absolutely! I never blamed anyone for that disaster but myself. It wasn’t like it was the Thanksgiving special.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3576
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/08 23:48:31 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
CTD,

Buddy

Most of you young pups never experienced the Inferno. It was my favorite pizzeria in my college years during the 60's. Nothing will ever compare to the Inferno for me. Every weekend was an Inferno weekend. Since Evanston was "dry" back in those days, we did our drinking before and after an Inferno pizza run. BTW, I graduated college with a 4.5 BAL. I purchased my first home in Niles, across the street from Gulliver's and lived a short distance from Pequod's, where I had my first and last anchovy pizza. Ahhh........memories!

CSD
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8012
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/09 10:01:04 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Living on Long Island where we have some of the best pizza joints ever- commuting to NYC where I had my pick of pies-

Are "Long Island" and "NYC" secret code words for "Seattle" and "Tacoma"?
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/09 10:11:26 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
wanderingjew
Living on Long Island where we have some of the best pizza joints ever- commuting to NYC where I had my pick of pies-

Only if you love  a thick, overly doughy crust, basil infused bitter sauce, processed fake cheese, fake pepperoni and fake sausage and barely luke warm crunchy raw vegetables. (no wonder why Canadian bacon and pineapple were the most popular toppings) (mind you this was Seattle pizza back in the 90's)
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/09 10:12:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken
wanderingjew

Only if you love  a thick, overly doughy crust, basil infused bitter sauce, processed fake cheese, fake pepperoni and fake sausage and barely luke warm crunchy raw vegetables. (no wonder why Canadian bacon and pineapple were the most popular toppings) (mind you this was Seattle pizza back in the 90's)

Agreed!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/09 10:22:41 (permalink)
I remember way back in 98 I was in suburban Chicago for  training with one of my former companies. A bunch of us went to a classic "old school" red sauce Italian joint for dinner. One of our colleagues was from Seattle (someone I had actually worked with when I had previously lived there) - the first thing she searched for when the food arrived was the basil- I pointed out that the only thing she will find on the table were garlic powder, red pepper flakes and grated parmesan.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/09 14:38:43 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken
wanderingjew

If you’re going to be judgmental about this, it should be towards me and not the Inferno. I had nobody to blame but myself. Nobody said that Canadian bacon and pineapple were the most popular toppings; I’m sure they weren’t. I had had very little experience with pizza at that point in my young life. Miami pizza still pretty much sucks, at least the last time I had some.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: A history of Chicago Style from Chicago 2017/11/09 15:49:36 (permalink)
Pizza is about how it's made, not where it's made. You can get great pizza almost anywhere these days, if it's made correctly. I've had horrible pizza in some locations known for their pizza. My parents once cried about horrible pizza where they lived in Phoenix, many decades ago. Then an Italian gentleman from Bayonne, NJ moved there and opened up a pizza place. Presto,Great pizza!!!
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5