A quick trip to Philly

Author
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1043
2017/11/21 11:24:59 (permalink)

A quick trip to Philly

A few weeks ago, I drove down there to visit some friends, try the Eastern State Penitentiary haunted house, and get my first "real" cheesesteak.

Stopped at Broadway Joe's Pizza in the Bronx for lunch.  They had come recommended by a coworker.

I found out later that they have a "lasagna pizza", which has ricotta and ground beef atop the cheese and tomato sauce - completely missed it when I was looking through the case.  A cheese slice, though, is a good test of any unfamiliar pizzeria, especially one in NYC, and I thoroughly enjoyed mine.  It was, simply, what you'd want New York pizza to be.  

Due to factors beyond my control, pizza ended up being for dinner as well.  Yummy Pizza in downtown Philly.  Unremarkable.

Breakfast at Day By Day the next morning was definitely a step up.  What you see here is one of their specials: rice topped with flank steak, kimchi, and a fried egg.  It all blended together as I ate and became reminiscent of fried rice, which is to say, awesome.

The home fries had rosemary and were very, very, very crisp.

We were pretty full after that, but I was dead-set on seeing the Reading Terminal Market, even if I wasn't going to stuff myself.  

Um. Good heavens.

(I later had that kataifi at a Lebanese place in South Windsor, CT that was good that it honestly deserves its own write-up.)

I insisted upon dinner at Pat's King of Steaks, but it was a rather rushed affair, since we were on the verge of being late for the haunted house.  I forgot to specify onions and peppers on my cheesesteak, or to grab any of the pimento/cherry/whatever peppers that they had in a pile off to the side.

Still, it was good ...

... if a little light on the beef.  

(That dripping Whiz really makes the first pic, I think.)  I appreciated the beef being thicker-cut and more substantial than the dry paperlike shreds that I've sometimes seen on cheesesteaks in Connecticut.  Still, I needed a do-over.

The Eastern State Penitentiary was a riot.  This was my only pic.  My voice was later hoarse from all the screaming.

The next day's brunch at Sabrina's introduced me to something called "long hot" peppers, which are exactly what they sound like and evidently quite popular around the Philly area.  This sandwich had a chicken cutlet, spinach, provolone, and diced marinated long hots on a roll from Sarcone's Bakery.

One of my companions had the biggest French toast I'd ever seen.

Their specials looked appealing.  I often try to order from those at a new place, but when you want a chicken cutlet, you want a chicken cutlet.

The final meal of the trip was a slow, relaxing dinner at JJ Thai in Rittenhouse Square.  Let me tell you something: if you haven't tried Thai iced tea... you need to.

This tom yum koong was an addictive hot-and-sour soup flavored with lemongrass and shrooms.  I swapped out the shrimp for tofu.

These drunken noodles - rice noodles - had a chewiness and elasticity that one doesn't get from wheat noodles, and were so good that they rendered the chicken superfluous.

Thus ended my excursion into Philadelphia.  At the top of my list for my next trip are a roast pork and broccoli rabe sandwich (from John's, I presume?), and either a retry of Pat's or a switch to Geno's.
post edited by Ketteract - 2017/11/21 11:30:26

13 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/21 12:16:58 (permalink)
    I think I spotted chocolate handcuffs.......
    IndianaPete
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/21 14:32:49 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    .  At the top of my list for my next trip are a roast pork and broccoli rabe sandwich

Tommy DiNic's  Reading Terminal Market and the Mama Mia @ Campo's.  My two favorite sandwiches of all time.
    post edited by IndianaPete - 2017/11/21 14:35:40
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4209
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/21 15:51:54 (permalink)
    My personal favorite as far as roast pork and rabe is Tony Lukes, followed by DiNics (where I had my first one).  As far as cheesesteaks go, there are at least a dozen places better than  Pat's or Gino's.
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 743
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/21 16:48:46 (permalink)
    Nice report. I get Thai iced tea, usually with tapioca pearls, in Philly's Chinatown often. It's a great drink.

I was in the Terminal to pick up some lunch today and went with the Sang Kee Peking Duck stand.

As far as DiNic's goes, I think I've mentioned on here before that their most underappreciated menu item is the meatball sandwich, which may be the best meatball sandwich I've ever had.  They also do a good job with roasted brisket.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2017/11/21 17:37:59
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9161
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/21 20:02:14 (permalink)
    Really enjoyed your report. I'd say,definitely get the broccoli rabe sandwich!!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8257
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/22 07:45:17 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    I swapped out the shrimp for tofu.

Does not compute...does not compute...

Nice writeup of a short trip.  You did a lot in a small amount of time!
    billyboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2861
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/22 19:38:32 (permalink)
    Ketteract, great write-up, man!  That sandwich at Sabrina's looks fantastic.  I stopped in to Sarcone's join my trip to Philly two years ago but didn't get any bread (just breakfast pastries and tomato pie).  Highly recommend the tomato pie, a local specialty.  The Reading Terminal Market is a bit daunting but I can vouch for the roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.  Just excellent.  

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9161
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/22 20:47:59 (permalink)
    billyboy
    Ketteract, great write-up, man!  That sandwich at Sabrina's looks fantastic.  I stopped in to Sarcone's join my trip to Philly two years ago but didn't get any bread (just breakfast pastries and tomato pie).  Highly recommend the tomato pie, a local specialty.  The Reading Terminal Market is a bit daunting but I can vouch for the roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.  Just excellent.  

Oh that looks sooooo good!
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1453
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/23 10:52:12 (permalink)
    I have not been to Pat's Steaks in years.  My first thought when I saw those pics was Where's the BEEF" />
    Ketteract
    • Total Posts : 1043
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/23 18:44:03 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the suggestions.  I was paralleling Pat's and Geno's in my mind with Pepe's and Sally's here... but, as much as I didn't want to admit it, that wasn't an accurate way to think.  I did learn about Jim's after my trip... seems to have a much better reputation among locals.  Still, one can't blame me for hitting what I did in the brief time I was there.

The Reading Terminal Market just blew me the hell away.   It's a food-city within a city.  If I lived in Philly, I'm sure I would go there far more often than was good for me. 

ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1453
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/11/23 21:47:02 (permalink)
    At one point I worked one block from the Reading Terminal Market and went often for lunch .  The fist time I went I spent my whole lunch hour trying to decide what to have.  I learned to make my choice before I left the office.  So many good things to eat!! 
    acer2x
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/12/09 20:48:10 (permalink)
    Order double beef at Pat's. The peppers there are hot cherry peppers. 

No visit to Bassett's Ice Cream at Reading Terminal? Very high butterfat= great taste. 
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 743
    Re: A quick trip to Philly 2017/12/09 22:01:57 (permalink)
    acer2x
    No visit to Bassett's Ice Cream at Reading Terminal? Very high butterfat= great taste. 

There is so much to choose from at the Terminal that I could never get to all of the places I wanted to visit in one day. But for eight years, I lived only about two to three blocks from there and I bought almost all of my ice cream for home from the Bassett's stand. They give you the option of getting hand-packed pints or pre-packed for the flavors that they produce on a larger scale for local stores. The hand packed cost more, but they keep pressing more and more ice cream into those containers until it's really not possible to squeeze any more in there. There is no extra air in there. It's all ice cream. I always went for the hand packed unless I was in a hurry.

Their moose tracks is tremendous. 

post edited by phlmaestro - 2017/12/09 22:05:05
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5