Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet

Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5844
2016/05/01 09:48:33 (permalink)

Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet

Four score years ago Duncan Hines was completing the first edition of Adventures in Good Eating for the Discriminating Motorist (it was sent to his publisher on June 6, 1936). While the majority of his recommended restaurants are long gone, more than a handful survive.

Inspired by a thread originated by Ketteract, a list of the surviving restaurants in the “Duncan Hines Family” is being populated separately. With that task ongoing, we move on to the next phase of my plan.

A CHALLENGE

I am inviting Roadfooders to participate in a virtual Eat and Greet this summer – the Adventures in Good Eating Challenge. Either alone or in groups (do whatever works for you), I encourage you to dine at a restaurant that was recommended by Duncan Hines.

You can start by making believe it is shortly after Adventures in Good Eating’s publication and you are one of Duncan’s Dinner Detectives. You decide to eat at one of his recommended restaurants and report to Duncan if their quality still meets his high standards. Find a Duncan Hines recommended restaurant and eat there this summer.

Be aware that this will not be your typical Roadfood fare. Mr. Hines had an appreciation of fine food served in expensive restaurants and the majority of the remaining recommended restaurants fall into this category. These restaurants are still open for a reason; they were some of the best in the nation when Duncan Hines rated them and they still are.

Post your photos and reviews in the thread at this link. I believe we can greatly expand the knowledge of the remaining Duncan Hines recommended restaurants this way. Your opinions will be noted in the survivors list to indicate which restaurants are still "Recommended by Duncan Hines" and which restaurants no longer pass Duncan Hines’ muster.

And don't forget to inspect the kitchen.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2016/05/04 20:31:48

28 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1345
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/01 15:37:46 (permalink)
    I think this is a very good idea!   And, yes, if you want to be a genuine Duncan Hines dinner detective, you should inspect the kitchen and keep these guys on their toes.

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/01 15:42:28 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken - Let me know if you are making a run to Der Rathskeller. I would like to join you.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9344
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/01 18:29:44 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    ScreamingChicken - Let me know if you are making a run to Der Rathskeller. I would like to join you.

Certainly.  Although it might be easier for you to let me know when you're going to be in the area, and I can work my schedule around that.

Plus after dinner we can head over to Cedar Street and make some new friends of the female variety.  Cash only.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/01 19:16:15 (permalink)
    I can just imagine when buffetbuster and the other grown-ups get back from the Pittsburgh Crawl -

"We left you alone for just one weekend with the keys to Roadfood and just look what you've done."
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6662
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 00:44:34 (permalink)
    Go to your rooms young men!

Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 01:29:03 (permalink)
    Been to Camelback Inn, El Tovar and La Posada but never heard of Beaver Dam AZ let alone the Beaver Dam Lodge!
    After a painstaking search, found it in the furthermost corner of NW AZ. If you're there and sneeze, it will land in NV & UT
    It's 400.8 miles from Gilbert, a day's drive.
    AZ is a Big Ass State folks!
    Need to go to Las Vegas and turn right.
    That means a long holiday weekend trip. 1 day up, 1 day back.
    The Gauntlet has been thrown so it's on the 2016 Bucket List!
    EDIT:
    On second thought, the menu would have Duncan Hines rolling over in his grave! 
    http://historicbeaverdamlodge.com/index.php/thelodge/dining 
    The place looks charming but not sure if I'm willing to drive 800+ miles for pizza, a hot dog or hamburger although they are served with Chips, Coleslaw or Side Salad.

post edited by Foodbme - 2016/05/02 01:48:38
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6818
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 09:22:47 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    EDIT:
    On second thought, the menu would have Duncan Hines rolling over in his grave! 
    http://historicbeaverdamlodge.com/index.php/thelodge/dining 
    The place looks charming but not sure if I'm willing to drive 800+ miles for pizza, a hot dog or hamburger although they are served with Chips, Coleslaw or Side Salad.

If that breaded chicken sandwich were a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich I would make that drive.

Truth be told, I doubt if many of the restaurants still in business are anything like what Duncan Hines experienced.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 09:39:32 (permalink)
    Foodbme & Davydd,

Louis and I discussed the inclusion of Beaver Dam Lodge knowing that it offered little more than pubfood, at best. We decided to include it in the list for completeness, with a note indicating it no longer met DH's standards.

I'll add a link to Foodbme's post. I think he sums up the current conditions perfectly.

Jim
    kozel
    • Total Posts : 1199
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 10:04:08 (permalink)
    eBay has 1938 & 1959 editions for sale (I just bought the 1945).  Abebooks and Amazon also have some.

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12613
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 10:46:17 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    I can just imagine when buffetbuster and the other grown-ups get back from the Pittsburgh Crawl -

I'm just shocked anyone would include me in with the grown ups!
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 19:56:49 (permalink)
    Hello Contingent. Can I interest you in the following?
    Choice steaks, country roast duck and Southern fried chicken. $2.00-$4.00
    Sorry, that's not going to happen anymore. You'll have to settle for:
    Seven Days A Week! - Buy One Entree, Get One Free! - Daily After 4pm
    No coupon necessary. Entree of equal or lesser value free.
    Although some of the Northwoods lodge atmosphere went away with their expansion, The Fox and Hounds restaurant still is in a rustic setting in rural Hubertus. Quality supper club food at bargain BOGO prices.The deal is not good on the fishfry, but that is competitively priced and AYCE.

A mere 12 miles from Casa Pfeff, please include us in your plans to dine there. Together we can give a thumbs up or down on a continued "Recommended by Duncan Hines" rating.

Louis
    • Total Posts : 1345
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/02 21:57:40 (permalink)
    Kozel, if you purchase any edition in the 1943-1945 era, it is a very rare edition.  Duncan Hines was his own publisher.  He produced the guidebooks right in his own house.  When ready to publish a batch of them, he would put the printing plates in his car and drive them down to Nashville, TN to the Williams Printing Company.  After the war, Paul Moore, Mr. Williams trusted assistant, would drive an hour up to Hines' house in Bowling Green, KY to get the plates.

The reason those guidebooks are so rare is that so many changes were happening due to temporary restaurant closings because of war conditions (for example, gas rationing made it nearly impossible for many restaurants in out-of-the-way places to stay in business) that Hines found it necessary to have print runs of only 200 to 300 copies at a time so that they would stay current.  He always emphasized that people should buy the most up-to-date version.  So I'd say you have a real rarity there.

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/03 07:38:05 (permalink)
    JRPfeff- While Fox and Hounds is not at all what it used to be( it was owned by the Ratzsch family and served similar fare as their downtown restaurant-I ate there in the 70s with my family) it is a good supper club according to my friends who recently ate there. Good food and cocktails. I would go.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/03 07:46:30 (permalink)
    Ann - Those are exactly my feelings about the place.

Are you coming to Stolley's on the 13th?

Jim
    kozel
    • Total Posts : 1199
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/03 09:04:06 (permalink)
    Louis
    Kozel, if you purchase any edition in the 1943-1945 era, it is a very rare edition.  Duncan Hines was his own publisher.  He produced the guidebooks right in his own house.  When ready to publish a batch of them, he would put the printing plates in his car and drive them down to Nashville, TN to the Williams Printing Company.  After the war, Paul Moore, Mr. Williams trusted assistant, would drive an hour up to Hines' house in Bowling Green, KY to get the plates.

The reason those guidebooks are so rare is that so many changes were happening due to temporary restaurant closings because of war conditions (for example, gas rationing made it nearly impossible for many restaurants in out-of-the-way places to stay in business) that Hines found it necessary to have print runs of only 200 to 300 copies at a time so that they would stay current.  He always emphasized that people should buy the most up-to-date version.  So I'd say you have a real rarity there.

Thank-you for that information.  At less than $19, it was the cheapest so I didn't pass it up. Now I feel even better about the purchase.
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/05 11:12:46 (permalink)
    JRPfeff- If gyp is going, I will be there.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6662
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/05 15:51:05 (permalink)
    Why not make Fox & Hounds the next installment of The Contingent's Supper Club Tour?

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/05 16:12:47 (permalink)
    Buddy,

Done.

Jim
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12613
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 08:14:08 (permalink)
    Pardon me if this was already posted elsewhere, but I didn't come across it.  Here is Duncan Hines appearance on To Tell The Truth. 
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 860
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 11:13:30 (permalink)
    After researching the 1945 edition none of the Georgia entries seem to be still operating. The Georgian Tea Room in Savannah does mention being in the old pink house which is operating as The Pink House and doing well.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 11:19:35 (permalink)
    chickenplucker
    After researching the 1945 edition none of the Georgia entries seem to be still operating. The Georgian Tea Room in Savannah does mention being in the old pink house which is operating as The Pink House and doing well.

That is good enough for me. Thank you for your help.

Jim
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 12:08:58 (permalink)
    And after looking through the 1959 edition it appears that The Pirate House in Savannah is the only original survivor. I have eaten there several times. The seafood is good and they do a very good southern buffet at lunch. Riegedale Tavern in Trion has a restaurant operating in the building but not the original version. Partridge Restaurant in Rome has been reopened by the daughter of the original owners and seems to be doing well. I will try to pay them a visit.

chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 12:39:19 (permalink)
    The 1959 edition brought memories for me. I grew up in South Georgia and in the early 60s we visited the Okefenokee Swamp several times and always stopped at The Green Frog restaurant in Waycross. I never knew until reading it today that it was opened in 1938 by 19 year old Bill Darden. It was his 1st restaurant and he later started the Red Lobster chain and the holding company that bears his name has become a behemoth operating several national chains.
    https://www.darden.com/restaurants/our-brands
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 12:47:48 (permalink)
    chickenplucker - Here's a small world moment for you. I just looked up Gary's Duck Inn in Orlando after seeing them in the 1959 guide. Gary's was the restaurant that Darden used as his model for Red Lobster. Gary's closed in 1994.
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/06 13:02:21 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    chickenplucker - Here's a small world moment for you. I just looked up Gary's Duck Inn in Orlando after seeing them in the 1959 guide. Gary's was the restaurant that Darden used as his model for Red Lobster. Gary's closed in 1994.

It really is a small world..
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/09 17:29:12 (permalink)
    There's a nice surprise.  We visited the Partridge Restaurant in Rome GA last month and thought it was pretty good.  We'll have a story about it on our blog in a few weeks.  I wouldn't call it destination dining, but the locals love it and some of the employees have been with them for several decades, some of them returning to work when the restaurant came back to family hands.

Rome is a very underrated destination, with lots of great architecture and independent bookstores, shops, and restaurants.  We really enjoyed our day trip there.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/15 08:53:40 (permalink)
    Fox and Hounds will be happening. Details will be revealed in the Contingent Supper Club thread.
    MilwFoodlovers
    BuddyRoadhouse
    ....The suggestion of the Duncan Hines recommended "Fox And Hounds" was made for the next meeting later this summer.

Fox and Hounds is a very cool scenic historic restaurant. It is on its 3rd set of owners since Duncan visited yet it has been open continuously since the 1930's. None of the food is bad, but the only thing I'd order is the duck which was extraordinary. It was one of the finest I'd ever eaten. Imho, if possible, we should visit on a Saturday when there is also live music. Keep in mind that desserts are also 241 which makes this a fairly frugal evening. They even offered several sugar free desserts although that may no longer be the case. It's not on the menu that I could see, but my last visit 2 years ago had us drinking 241 ice cream drinks. Brandy Alexander anyone?

Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re: Adventures in Good Eating Challenge - A Virtual Eat and Greet 2016/05/31 23:22:29 (permalink)
    My story about Rome GA's Partridge is now up:

https://marieletseat.com/...ge-restaurant-rome-ga/
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5