Helpful ReplyHot!"Adventures in Good Eating" - what restaurants from it are still open?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5048
Re: "Adventures in Good Eating" - what restaurants from it are still open? 2016/04/27 10:23:52 (permalink)
Louis
Going back to Ketteract's original question, this site may be a start in getting an answer to the question as to what Duncan Hines recommended restaurants are still open.  It's not complete, but I wonder if the originator of the site would like some help from some roadfooders who are interested in roadfood history.  It's worth a shot.

http://www.adventuresingoodeating.org/

Louis,

I find that the one-person efforts to track down remaining Hines Family restaurants are only successful on a local basis. We can do better with a group effort at Roadfood.

As an example, I received a 1948 version of the guide and scanned through the Wisconsin listings. I was immediately able to identify five restaurants that are still in operation. I have been to all five and at least three of these still maintain Duncan Hines level standards. Mader's Restaurant even serves the pork shank that Hines raved about way back in the 1930's.

I have started two new threads with a challenge to Roadfooders to identify and to dine at the remaining Duncan Hines Recommended restaurants nationwide this summer.

Surviving Duncan Hines Family members (I know of) in Wisconsin:
Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2016/05/01 09:51:20
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4144
Re: "Adventures in Good Eating" - what restaurants from it are still open? 2016/04/28 21:29:11 (permalink)
I accept the challenge and  will give the remaining restaurants that I know of in  NY, Md, and FLA!
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re: "Adventures in Good Eating" - what restaurants from it are still open? 2017/11/26 06:54:25 (permalink)
Over the Thanksgiving Day weekend, I went to the Kentucky Museum on the Western Kentucky University campus in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  They have a Duncan Hines exhibit inside.  I have been here several times, but I had not noticed until this time that they have pristine copies in their exhibit cases of 1962 editions of "Adventures in Good Eating" and "Lodging for a Night."

Where did they get these?  I have never seen these offered anywhere.  My understanding was that they were not printed, so I was surprised to see two printed copies.  Maybe they were prototypes that were on the drawing board, and that's as far as they got; it would explain their pristine nature.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8055
Re: "Adventures in Good Eating" - what restaurants from it are still open? 2017/11/26 14:00:02 (permalink)
Louis, as you're presumably the preeminent living authority on Duncan Hines I'll bet you could arrange a private viewing of those books.
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re: "Adventures in Good Eating" - what restaurants from it are still open? 2017/11/26 15:32:40 (permalink)
In fact, it was a private viewing.  I had the whole museum to myself.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5