Helpful ReplyAm I Crazy?

Author
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10501
2017/06/08 14:53:45 (permalink)

Am I Crazy?

Sandra and I (and her 17 year old son) are visiting Washington DC in two weeks for a 4 day weekend trip. Luckily we are flying using Sandra's points, we are staying with friends who have a condo a block from  the metro stop (they're 3 stops north of Dupont Circle) so we won't need a car.
This won't be a Roadfood trip but there will be some good food. We do plan on going to  a Middle Eastern Restaurant in Adams Morgan and we do plan on visiting the iconic Old Ebbitt Grill which I would put in the Roadfood category.
I was hoping to visit Jerry's Seafood this trip. We were supposed to go 3 years ago but the Amtrak debacle destroyed that opportunity. Jerry's Seafood used to be in Lanham  and was less than a 5 minute walk from the Marc Seabrook station. They have since moved to Bowie and are not accessible by Metro or Marc. Although our friends have a car, and we had  thought about asking if they would drive (our treat)  it would really be an inconvenience for them (and understandably so)
Sandra said we could go some other time (my response was that could be years) and I decided I couldn't wait any longer, I've waited long enough.. and enough is enough...
I sent Sandra a text yesterday and told her I decided to take a solo weekend trip in August, essentially just to visit Jerry's Seafood but throwing in a minor league ballpark and  some roadfooding through Delaware ( a state I haven't been to since 2003) as  a rationale for this trip.
So am I crazy.. to drive all the way to Maryland just to eat at one restaurant?

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11784
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 15:00:24 (permalink)
No to going on a trip by oneself.

Yes to going there because Sandra didn't want to go this time and by throwing a ball park into the mix as an excuse.

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 15:06:19 (permalink)
No, As long as you hit as many local Crab Houses and Pit Beef stands.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6952
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 15:38:52 (permalink)
Rather than trekking to Bowie I'd advise you get your Roadfood seafood fix at Crisfield's

It's a short walk from the Silver Spring Metro station.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6173
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 16:07:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kozel 2017/06/09 13:05:05
A couple of observations:
1. Has anyone told the residents of your state that it is, in fact, not an island?  I'm looking at a map and there is nothing even remotely "islandish" about it.  You're connected to the U.S. continental landmass on two and a half sides of your border.  Did the early settlers only get as far as Pawtucket and decide, "Well the water comes up this far, I reckon it must go all the way around the place."

In a tip of the literary cap to John Donne, you should rename your state "No Rhode is an Island".

2. Why can't I find the quaint little town of Quahog on your state's map.  Further, there is no mention of either Peter or Lois Griffin in any of your state's tourism propaganda.  And if in fact they are harboring a talking, martini swilling dog, wouldn't that be worth telling the public at large.  Seems to me that would be a major tourist draw, kinda like that headless chicken in Colorado (which amazingly, and inadvertently ties in with the Family Guy theme) .

3. "Am I Crazy?"...in bold, large font letters, no less.  You're making it way too easy for the people who actually like/like to poke you.  How about, "Need your advice/thoughts," as a lead in?  Sometimes I think you're just trying to sabotage yourself.  And the answer is "yes", but has nothing to do with your wanting to drive almost 400 miles for a Crab Cake.

4. Finally, the answer is still yes, IF you're only going for the one restaurant and a minor league ballgame.

OTOH, IF you've got the time and money to spare (which you claim to never have when it comes to joining us for tours here in the Midwest, yet always manage to make it happen at the last minute after much drama), AND are going to do a full Roadfood tour of discovery, AND then intend to do a full trip report with pictures and addresses of all the places you visit, then go with my blessing my son.

Happy Roadfooding,
Buddy
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1411
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 16:13:43 (permalink)
I second the suggestion that you go to Crisfield's rather than going all the way to Bowie.  But that said, I support solo trips to dine at a restaurant. I've done it many times.  

If you go to Old Ebbitt Grill for the atmosphere and the fresh oysters, you'll have a good experience.  But during the summer (intern and tourist season), it can be very, very crowded.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3544
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 16:17:11 (permalink)
Certainly it's OK if it's not a chain.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5201
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 16:30:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/06/09 08:20:17

Am I Crazy?

In baseball terms....that one is just hangin over the plate! 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 16:54:34 (permalink)
rumaki
I second the suggestion that you go to Crisfield's rather than going all the way to Bowie.  But that said, I support solo trips to dine at a restaurant. I've done it many times.  

But if you do decide on a side trip, scratch Bowie and go just a few miles further to Linthicum.  The crab cakes at Roadfood "Legendary" G&M are definitely worth a car rental and an afternoon!

In fact, you'd be CRAZY not to go to G&M!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/06/08 16:57:11
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 18:01:17 (permalink)
mar52
No to going on a trip by oneself.

Yes to going there because Sandra didn't want to go this time and by throwing a ball park into the mix as an excuse.

Sandra DID want to go, we simply don't have a car and have no other way to get there.
I may even forgo the ballgame, but it's true I haven't been to Delaware since 2003 and I think its about time for a return visit.

Wintahaba
No, As long as you hit as many local Crab Houses and Pit Beef stands.

I will most likely hit at least one Delaware crab house. Not sure about pit beef as I'm really not going to be in the Baltimore area.

rumaki

If you go to Old Ebbitt Grill for the atmosphere and the fresh oysters, you'll have a good experience.  But during the summer (intern and tourist season), it can be very, very crowded.

I thought about Crisfield's but I really, really, really have my heart set on Jerry's Seafood. I really want t try their famous "crab bomb". 

Luckily  Old Ebbitt Grill accepts reservations. My two (much) older half sisters might be joining us too, as they live in Ellicott City

MetroplexJim
rumaki

But if you do decide on a side trip, scratch Bowie and go just a few miles further to Linthicum.  The crab cakes at Roadfood "Legendary" G&M are definitely worth a car rental and an afternoon!

In fact, you'd be CRAZY not to go to G&M

Oh I've been to G & M more times than I can count. In fact I was the first one to mention the place (and possibly visit) on Roadfood (after hearing about it from signman who had not visited until I checked it out first- that was way, way back in 2003 when I was just a lad in my 30's..

BuddyRoadhouse
A couple of observations:
1. Has anyone told the residents of your state that it is, in fact, not an island?  I'm looking at a map and there is nothing even remotely "islandish" about it.  You're connected to the U.S. continental landmass on two and a half sides of your border.  Did the early settlers only get as far as Pawtucket and decide, "Well the water comes up this far, I reckon it must go all the way around the place."

In a tip of the literary cap to John Donne, you should rename your state "No Rhode is an Island".

Actually the full name of the state is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. The  Rhode Island part actually consists of Newport County which includes Newport, Portsmouth and Middletown. The rest of the state is Providence Plantations which is...well...not an Island..

BuddyRoadhouse

2. Why can't I find the quaint little town of Quahog on your state's map.  Further, there is no mention of either Peter or Lois Griffin in any of your state's tourism propaganda.  And if in fact they are harboring a talking, martini swilling dog, wouldn't that be worth telling the public at large.  Seems to me that would be a major tourist draw, kinda like that headless chicken in Colorado (which amazingly, and inadvertently ties in with the Family Guy theme)

The fictitious town of Quahog is from what I've been told , based on the city of Cranston... If you've been to Cranston it would certainly make sense. My former residential VP at my old company actually resembled  a slightly older version of Peter Griffin, girth and all, and they even had the same accent, it wouldn't surprise me if his likeness was actually based on the guy

BuddyRoadhouse
3. "Am I Crazy?"...in bold, large font letters, no less.  You're making it way too easy for the people who actually like/like to poke you.  How about, "Need your advice/thoughts," as a lead in?  Sometimes I think you're just trying to sabotage yourself.  And the answer is "yes", but has nothing to do with your wanting to drive almost 400 miles for a Crab Cake.

Well that goes without saying

BuddyRoadhouse
4. Finally, the answer is still yes, IF you're only going for the one restaurant and a minor league ballgame.

OTOH, IF you've got the time and money to spare (which you claim to never have when it comes to joining us for tours here in the Midwest, yet always manage to make it happen at the last minute after much drama), AND are going to do a full Roadfood tour of discovery, AND then intend to do a full trip report with pictures and addresses of all the places you visit, then go with my blessing my son.

Happy Roadfooding,
Buddy

I plan to concentrate on some roadfooding in Delaware. If I get out of work early I'll most likely make it to Trenton NJ the first night which would mean a stop at Delorenzo's Tomato Pie , I'm also hoping to stop in Northern New Jersey on the way home and visit with a friend and perhaps a Sunday Night dinner at Epstein's Kosher Deli in Hartsdale NY to conclude the trip.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/08 18:47:34 (permalink)
We had a gala birthday weekend to celebrate my son's birthday.  I believe he is a year younger than you." />" />  We had dinner at La Scala  (one of our favorite places).  The next day, we were taking my granddaughter back to the Naval Academy and had an early dinner at Jerry's.

It was fun and a great meal.  However, I would not rate the Crab Bomb over G and M.s crab cakes.  I had the baby bomb, along with the crab bisque.  I did like my sides here much better.  I had the stewed tomatoes and the cole slaw, which cut the richness of the bisque and bomb really  well.

My son had the pepper bomb and love it.  I should have tried it as my thoughts were that it would overwhelm the taste of crab.  He said that it did not.

We were there just this past weekend.
post edited by Greymo - 2017/06/08 18:50:07
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 00:08:46 (permalink)
When you get right down to it, the term "Crab Bomb" pretty much COMPELS a visit.

Kudos to Jerry's Seafood for marketing genius.

-------------------

BTW: I remember the epic thread of G&M vs. Faidley's in which Signman was an active participant.  Wonderful "RF reading"!
eruby
  • Total Posts : 1061
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 06:27:23 (permalink)
Go to Jerry's. Repeat, go to Jerry's.

I used to go to the Italian barber shop in Lanham/Seabrook which was a stones throw from Jerry's, and I would always stop at Jerry's, either for a crab cake, a crab bomb, or even a cup of Maryland or Cream of Crab soup that had more lump crab on top of the soup than many places have in their crab cakes.

Crisfield's is great for a Jurassic Park kind of feel, but I have never been all that impressed with their food.

I'm gathering you are coming down I-95, so depending on your timeframe, a side trip on the Baltimore Beltway to Pioneer Pit Beef is well worth it, if you have time.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pioneer-Pit-Beef/153941384645621
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 07:49:58 (permalink)
Greymo

Glad to know you've been there recently

if eruby says "go to Jerry's "then I will go to Jerry's

I just had my first experience with Pioneer Pit Beef last fall and it made my top 10 list for 2016. I'm not sure if I'm going to avoid 95 and just go through Delaware and take the Annapolis Bay Bridge, either way there won't be enough stomach space for a pit beef sandwich. I've been compiling a list (not a big one because I don't have the appetite of some of the heavy hitters on the forum) but I've considered The Dog House (for a cheesesteak not a dog) either Sambo's Tavern or Countrie Eatery (it depends on whether I do Countrie Eatery for Breakfast or Dinner) , Woodside Farm Creamery, possibly Helen's Sausage House and Lucky's Coffee Shop . Where I go will depend on whether I check out the Wilmington Blue Rocks game and whether I decide to stay overnight in Wilmington or Dover. There's a sandwich shop in New Castle called Ioanonni's that's supposed to have the best roast pork sandwich this side of Philly that has also caught my attention.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 08:02:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/06/09 08:20:22
Please re-title and reverse the first two words.  Thank You!  

JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5345
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 08:56:46 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

CTD - No need for that. Pie Diva says Dale is channeling Yoda.

Dale - Nope. We all know this is something important to you. You have your health, the time, and the resources. Do it while you can. GO FOR IT!

CTD should join you.

jrp

post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/06/09 09:20:59
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 10:30:51 (permalink)
eruby
Crisfield's is great for a Jurassic Park kind of feel, but I have never been all that impressed with their food.

Truth is, that sentence really 'nails it'.

That is the vibe I got when I first visited in the 1970's and on my many visits since.  Soon after the SS Metro opened they opened 'fancy Crisfield's' across the street from the station.  I ate there once in the five years or so it operated, but preferred the 'old' place.  And the 'old place' is still there, thriving. 

You are right - it's the vibe, not necessarily the food.  For that I much preferred Bish Thompson's on Wisconsin in Bethesda .
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 10:42:27 (permalink)
Or...Capt Pell's or the Quarterdeck.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11784
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 11:52:58 (permalink)
I know this is Roadfood but you're all making this about the food.

I really thought it was the even though Sandra wants to go, Dale would go without her because he can't wait.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8505
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 12:01:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Google Maps says it's roughly 375-400 miles between Providence and Bowie and since you have the resources to do it and would also have opportunities for other stops, I say do it.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1372
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 12:19:33 (permalink)
Meh. I've driven all the way from Indiana to Alabama just to eat at Big Bob Gibson's. If the food's good it's worth it.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 12:22:51 (permalink)
I've driven from Wisconsin to Gary for Pizza. Have you tried it? What did you think? Would you go again? Tell me. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/09 19:04:31 (permalink)
mar52
I know this is Roadfood but you're all making this about the food.

I really thought it was the even though Sandra wants to go, Dale would go without her because he can't wait.

No, if we go, it will be when the opportunity arises if it does at all. If we happen to return to DC and drive down or fly and rent car of course we would go but my take is that could be a few years down the road, or it may not happen at all, or when we decide to go, the restaurant may no longer be around. I've had too many restaurants close for good right before I decided to visit.

ScreamingChicken
wanderingjew

Google Maps says it's roughly 375-400 miles between Providence and Bowie and since you have the resources to do it and would also have opportunities for other stops, I say do it.

You are correct- I'm about 13 miles south of downtown Providence

JRPfeff
ChiTownDiner

CTD - No need for that. Pie Diva says Dale is channeling Yoda.

Dale - Nope. We all know this is something important to you. You have your health, the time, and the resources. Do it while you can. GO FOR IT!

CTD should join you.

jrp

absolutely- you never know when things could change.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/16 17:15:23 (permalink)
Ok

Scratch that- this weekend trip will be postponed until the summer of 2018 (in fact it may turn into a 3 day weekend trip if I can somehow invent a comp day or two at work) - too much on my plate travel wise this year.
Let's hope Jerry's Seafood doesn't go out of business by next summer.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5345
Re: Am I Crazy? 2017/06/16 17:58:53 (permalink)
Is this your method to get us to say you are not crazy?

Sorry, it's not going to work.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Am I Crazy? 2018/06/02 15:08:21 (permalink)
I thought I would revise this thread while I'm waiting for Sandra to come over this evening from her Saturday work assignment.
Some interesting developments have occurred over the past year
1. Sandra's friend no longer lives in DC and has moved down to Melbourne Florida- so it's unlikely we will be re-visiting DC anywhere in the near future.
2. My one day I had left as a potential vacation day I had to use last December to attend a funeral in NJ and as result  I will not have enough time to stop in Maryland to go to Jerry's Seafood.
3. I am taking this trip (but will be spending the majority of the trip in Delaware- a state I haven't visited since 2003.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5