Amish area of Ohio

Author
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
2016/04/27 09:42:45 (permalink)

Amish area of Ohio

We had a great trip to Berlin and surrounding areas.  I would like to recommend a couple of great places to eat that may miss visitors attention.  Most restaurants in the area are closed on Sunday so we ventured out and ate at Pine Tree Barn in Wayne County.  It is a historic 1868 barn with wonderful food and desserts to die for!  They also have a gift shop.  The only negative thing is no bathrooms that are handicapped accessible.  One must go down a flight of stairs to reach them-no elevator available. 
The town of Wooster is near and has a very pretty college campus.
I would also recommend Bags Sports Pub in Millersburg.  They are open on Sunday, I had a very tasty tomato basil soup and they have a good variety of beers on tap.  While in Berlin, Der Bake Oven is worth a stop.  The staff is extremely friendly and the bakery items are delicious.  I recommend the broccoli cheese soup.  I didn't find any of the buffet restaurants to be as good as Shady Maple in the Amish area of Pennsylvania.

2 Replies Related Threads

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3243
    Re: Amish area of Ohio 2016/04/27 11:30:07 (permalink)
    I have never been up there to visit the Amish areas.  We live in SW Ohio in Brown County, which has many Mennonite families, many of them former Amish.  We are also next to Adams County, which has many Amish.  Two businesses that stand out to us here are the Home Place in Georgetown in Brown County and Miller's Bakery and Furniture in West Union in Adams County.

http://www.thehomeplacefurniture.com/

http://millersbakeryfurniture.com/

The Home Place is run by a Mennonite family - formerly Amish.  Miller's is strictly Amish.

Both places offer bakery goods, and full delis and sandwiches as well as Amish grocery items, bulk foods gift items, furniture etc.

I am particularly enamored of both establishments baked goods and deli items.
    post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2016/04/27 11:33:13
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3243
    Re: Amish area of Ohio 2016/04/27 11:44:50 (permalink)
    I first discovered the Home Place in 2009 - each year they grill chicken and ribs over some weekends outside and families come from all around for the feast - I posted about the chicken weekend in the past on this thread, which includes a number of photos: 

http://forums.roadfood.com/Southwest-Ohio-and-Environs-Open-Chat-m523987.aspx

The posts are about  a quarter of the way down on the first page of the thread.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5