Helpful ReplyAny Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

Author
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 788
2019/03/09 02:11:15 (permalink)

Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

Hello All,

Does anyone have updated restaurant and other food recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

I've searched this forum (via Roadfood search engine and Google), but it's been a few years since anything substantive has been posted. Here are a couple of the most recent threads:

http://forums.roadfood.com/Haitian-or-Jamaican-in-Miami-m167232.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.com/Miami-etc-part-THREE-the-final-chapter-m316662.aspx

These are over 10 years old! The "Restaurants" page for Florida here does yield a few ideas (Zak the Baker, El Palacio de los Jugos, and Bob Roth's), but that's about it.

A few of the old posts here mention Joe's Stone Crab, and that's a possibility, but if anyone out in RFland has other ideas, I'd like to hear them. Any especially noteworthy Cuban sandwiches? A good place for arepas? Any worthwhile, old-school diners left to consider?

joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5278
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/09 10:14:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/03/09 10:16:41
quijote
Hello All,

Does anyone have updated restaurant and other food recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

I've searched this forum (via Roadfood search engine and Google), but it's been a few years since anything substantive has been posted. Here are a couple of the most recent threads:

These are over 10 years old! The "Restaurants" page for Florida here does yield a few ideas (Zak the Baker, El Palacio de los Jugos, and Bob Roth's), but that's about it.

A few of the old posts here mention Joe's Stone Crab, and that's a possibility, but if anyone out in RFland has other ideas, I'd like to hear them. Any especially noteworthy Cuban sandwiches? A good place for arepas? Any worthwhile, old-school diners left to consider?

quijote, I just got back from Ft Lauderdale and can attest that Louie Bossi's on East Las Olas is real deal Italian.  Also, the beer is still ice cold at the Elbo Room.  Try Grampa's Bakery and Restaurant(Diner) also.  I had the lamb shank, as seen on Triple D.  

As for Miami, I had a private tour of little Havana by our own Miami Don.   El Palacio de los Jugos was a highlight of the tour. Try the chicharrones with a fruit smoothie. Joe's is going to be great....at a price.  Try La Camaronera Seafood for fried shrimp and stone crabs if they are in season.  A must have also is the Cuban Burger at El Mago de Las Fritas.  We had a great Cuban Sandwich....but I can't remember the place.  Maybe somebody who took the Miami Don Tour will chime in.  Enjoy!

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/10 00:26:12 (permalink)
joerogo
quijote
Hello All,

quijote, I just got back from Ft Lauderdale and can attest that Louie Bossi's on East Las Olas is real deal Italian.  Also, the beer is still ice cold at the Elbo Room.  Try Grampa's Bakery and Restaurant(Diner) also.  I had the lamb shank, as seen on Triple D.  

As for Miami, I had a private tour of little Havana by our own Miami Don.   El Palacio de los Jugos was a highlight of the tour. Try the chicharrones with a fruit smoothie. Joe's is going to be great....at a price.  Try La Camaronera Seafood for fried shrimp and stone crabs if they are in season.  A must have also is the Cuban Burger at El Mago de Las Fritas.  We had a great Cuban Sandwich....but I can't remember the place.  Maybe somebody who took the Miami Don Tour will chime in.  Enjoy!

Thank you, sir, for the ideas! Much appreciated, and they sound like places we would enjoy.
post edited by quijote - 2019/03/10 00:27:30
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/10 11:11:56 (permalink)
There's Sonny's in Hollywood.

http://sonnysfamoussteakhogies.com/ 
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/10 18:46:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby buffetbuster 2019/03/11 10:47:39
Nuevo Cubano in Ft. Lauderdale has the best Cuban sandwich that I have ever eaten. The only place they have to eat there is outside along a counter with stools. Or maybe a picnic table or two in the back. It is a real Roadfood experience.

For pie worthy of buffetbuster, go to Fireman Derek’s Bake Shop in Miami. It is fairly expensive, but worth it.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4765
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 10:34:27 (permalink)
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 10:35:17 (permalink)
OOps.  I  just noticed I was vote 2 for Sonny's.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12513
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 10:47:06 (permalink)
quijote-
I will be back later on with some suggestions, but Le Tub in Hollywood gets the highest recommendation.  World class burger in a mostly outdoor cafe that is decorated with bathroom supplies.  Weird and kitschy, but fun.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 13:26:58 (permalink)
quijote-
Not really Roadfood , but a very historic and the finest remaining TIKI spots (since the Kahiki in Columbus closed) is the MAI-KAI in Ft Lauderdale. http://www.maikai.com/  Opened in 1956 by 2 brothers from Chicago-(Bob and Jack Thornton) after visiting Don the Beachcomber. Stopping by for a drink at Happy Hour is reasonable....it may not be around forever. 
post edited by Wintahaba - 2019/03/11 13:28:24
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 17:45:49 (permalink)
There are a couple ouposts of Primanti's down there ... ( a couple Skyline Chili places, but that is probably no big deal to you if you're from WI)
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 17:46:16 (permalink)
Are you flying or driving to get there?
Davidsanders
  • Total Posts : 1049
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/11 23:10:21 (permalink)
wheregreggeats.com
There are a couple ouposts of Primanti's down there ... ( a couple Skyline Chili places, but that is probably no big deal to you if you're from WI)

Is there Skyline in Wisconsin?

joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5278
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 07:57:51 (permalink)
wheregreggeats.com

There an Eagles Bar(Parrot Lounge) right behind Primanti's. 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 08:45:05 (permalink)
Of some of the places previously mentioned...

Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach is very expensive, but we feel we definitely got our money's worth.  Try going at lunch time as it is more reasonably priced and not quite as crowded.

We also took the Miami Don tour a decade ago and all of Joe's suggestions are spot on.  We have revisited El Palacio de Los Jugos, La Cameronera Seafood and El Mago de Las Fritas since then and they are still just as good.  El Mago for a fritas was especially memorable.  We also enjoyed our fritas at El Rey de las Fritas.  Another winner that Don took us to was Azucar Ice Cream, with bold, unique flavors.

During a visit to Little Havana last year, we had well above average Cuban sandwiches and media noches at El Exquisito Restaurant

Both TTM and WJ are big fans of Puerto Sagua in Miami Beach.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/03/12 08:47:54
cavandre
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 10:13:09 (permalink)
Flanigan's is a fast growing, south-east Florida chain. Their Tumbleweed Onions appetizer is addictive.

https://www.flanigans.net/ 
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 10:38:30 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wheregreggeats.com

I was just presuming.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8987
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 12:54:40 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wheregreggeats.com

Not that I'm aware of, but Chili John's in Green Bay serves chili over spaghetti.

And while there's no Chili John's in south Florida, oddly enough there's one in Pasadena, CA.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 13:34:14 (permalink)
cavandre
Flanigan's is a fast growing, south-east Florida chain. Their Tumbleweed Onions appetizer is addictive.

https://www.flanigans.net/ 

cavandre, Flanigan's was really fun when we lived in Pembroke Pines @ '90...the were called Conch Key Joe's then, and due to a lawsuit from a bar in Jensen Beach (I believe) they had to change the name...as they called their liquor stores Flanigan's. They used to have great daily specials like a dozen Wings or a rack of Ribs got you a free pitcher of Beer or Soda
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 13:58:31 (permalink)
Oh, and if you see mamey batido on the menu, get it!  I could drink those by the gallon!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3623
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/12 20:07:05 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Oh, and if you see mamey batido on the menu, get it!  I could drink those by the gallon!

I love Al Jolson too!
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/16 23:26:50 (permalink)
Thanks, all, for your recs. On Thursday we had a good diner stop at Grampa's Bakery and Restaurant on our way from the airport to our hotel north of Fort Lauderdale. We weren't quite in the mood for lamb shank, so we had a fried clam platter and a patty melt, but a highlight was the coconut cream pie we had afterward. Another highlight was the pecan sticky bun that came with platter! And yet a third highlight was our waitress, who has been working there for over 27 years.

While in FTL we wound up visiting with friends of ours (also from out of town), so our attention was turned away from Roadfood yesterday and today. We did manage to try out a Salvadoran restaurant (La Casita Salvedoreña) in Oakland Park and a Cuban place (Little Havana Restaurant) near Boca Raton, but only because the first place was near our hotel, and the second place had vegetarian options that one of our friends could deal with while we were out scouting around....

La Casita was great--a bit of a dive, but delicious food and dedicated service. Among the high points was a massive appetizer combo loaded with cheese pupusas, pork chicharrones, carne asada strips, fried yuca, sausage, beans with crema, tostones, various condiments, and many other things. We also had grilled shrimp (with a Chimichurri-like sauce) and a couple of chicken tamales (the waiter didn't like the looks of the one we first received, so he brought out a second, more perfect-looking one for us).

Little Havana was very good--our Cuban sandwich was correct and proper, and our ropa vieja was tender and delicious. Our vegeterian friend enjoyed his veg combo. This was a good stop after visiting the Boca Raton Museum of Art.

Our friends have moved on, and tomorrow we make our way from FTL to Miami proper. I'm hoping we'll get to Zak the Baker and Palacio de los Jugos.... fingers crossed!
post edited by quijote - 2019/03/16 23:36:31
cavandre
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/17 12:10:43 (permalink)
On US 1 at the FTL/Dania border is Jaxon's Ice Cream, a local legend.

http://jaxsonsicecream.com/ 

post edited by cavandre - 2019/03/17 16:28:46
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8987
Re: Any Updated Recs for Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? 2019/03/17 12:50:22 (permalink)
quijote
La Casita was great--a bit of a dive, but delicious food and dedicated service.

In another word, perfect.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5