Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's

Author
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1126
2007/03/07 12:50:42 (permalink)

Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's

Has anyone tried Hungery Howie's Pizza or Jimmy John's Sandwiches? We are getting these two chains here in San Antonio and wondered if anyone has eaten at either one and liked them.

25 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4960
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 12:59:10 (permalink)
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1231
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 13:37:07 (permalink)
    I think I will just go ahead and resond here rather than bringin up that other thread where people can't seem to get along. We have four or five Jimmy Johns here and they are all within a mile or two of campus (Ohio St). THey clearly cater to the college student with quick service, cheap prices, and a pretty good size portion. I think they are defnitely better than Subway. The sub buns are notjhing specail but you can also get sandwiches on the thick cut wheat bread which I think is pretty good for a chain. Though I think my favorite is the tuna and I usually get that on the sub bun.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 19:01:39 (permalink)
    Hungry Howie's is better than other chains, such as, well, you know. Their calzones are really good. I bring same home quite often. No experience with Jimmy Johns but from what I have heard their quality is well above par, on same level as Firehouse Subs.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4403
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 19:09:11 (permalink)
    Jimmy Johns used to be the king of near college campus delivery subs. Used to be they were located near college campuses and would deliver any order for free no matter how small. Now they're expanding out into suburbs, their prices have gone up, their delivery area has been reduced, and their quality (in my opinion) has taken a hit. I find it difficult to pay $7.50 for what used to cost $4.50 AND have to add a delivery charge onto my order.

Hungry Howies isn't bad...the only time I've ever eaten there was for their lunch buffet, but I've eaten it a LOT. I forget the price, but it's really nominal considering it's all you can eat pizza, salads, breadsticks, and soft drinks.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 620
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 21:42:51 (permalink)

No problem with Howie's either: $4.99 Wacky Wednesday Large Cheese Pizza, which
    I can stretch out over three days.

Lunch specials are good (steak & cheese sub & their Howie Bread), but
    unfortunately, they stopped making pastrami subs, which was the only place
    here in town where I could find them.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 21:43:45 (permalink)
    When HH starts to offer an AYCE lunch buffet in my area, I will avoid forever. However, the chain in my area probably would never stoop so low..
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/07 22:56:22 (permalink)
    Jimmy John's is still cheap and has free delivery near college campuses, and the deliveries are usually pretty quick if you're within a few miles of one. They are my favorite sub place, miles ahead of Subway or Quizno's.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/08 00:58:11 (permalink)
    I've never eaten at a HH, but my daughter, Bushiette, used to work at the Jimmy John's in Round Rock, TX.

JJ's serves great sandwiches. They bake their breads fresh every day, cut their veggies fresh, and everything is made to order. I don't remember going there since Bushiette moved on, but they were good back then.

I especially liked Bushiette bringing home loaves of leftover whole-grain wheat bread (since they made it fresh every day, they sent home leftovers with the staff). It was fantastic toasted, slathered with real butter.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1126
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/08 09:52:48 (permalink)
    Stop Bushie,you're making me hungery.Jimmy John's is on Austin Highway,so while it's not exactly next door,it's still closer than Hungery Howie's which is way over on San Pedro.
    We used to have a Mr.GoodCents in Universal City,but that's gone now.
    I used to like their bread.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/08 12:24:14 (permalink)

Sheesch, Bushie, While we were in Round Rock, you never mentioned the 'Butter Slathered Bread'! All we got were those damn yellow Doughnuts! Don't we qualify for the real good stuff???
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/08 14:52:49 (permalink)
    There is a Jimmy John's near us, and we order sandwiches from them every once in a while. Most are $4.75, and with delivery, each item is rounded up to the nearest dollar- a $4.75 sandwich would be $5.00, etc. We love their sandwiches- the beach club and the hunter club are our favorites. Their salt and vinegar chips are really good, too.
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/08 15:39:21 (permalink)
    We have them here, and one is opening half a block from me.

Very good food. #12 no cucumbers, please, and a kosher pickle cut into quarters.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4403
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/08 20:09:28 (permalink)
    Huh...must only be the Jimmy John's near me that are screwing us on delivery. Figures.

Also, have you seen their TV commercials? Could they BE more annoying? I want to blow away the screaming/yelling flower-thingie with a shotgun every time it comes on my TV.
    BurgerChef68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/12 01:56:41 (permalink)
    I've never eaten at Jimmy John's so I can't comment on that.

When the big three is discussed in Michigan, you're either talking about cars or pizza. The big 3 pizza would be Domino's, Little Caesar's, and Hungry Howie's. HH is really good. The Howie special (one topping pizza, Howie bread and a 2 liter of pop) is a good deal.
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2007/03/12 04:49:04 (permalink)
    I like them both. JJ made the closest thing to my favorite sub since the Sub Station II went out of business. The Italian Night Special on a sub roll with lots of extra onions & lettuce. I also had them make a Provolone, lettuce, onion, Italian dressing & mayo sub for me to bring me back to my starving student days. Too bad it wasn't still just a buck! But the sandwich was good. I had to sneak to eat HH pizza where my coworkers couldn't see me. I like that they use canned mushrooms instead of fresh. IMHO, fresh mushrooms on pizza just dry up and don't add to the experience.
    Ketteract
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/06/07 08:30:06 (permalink)
    Had my first taste of Hungry Howie's at the Detroit airport about a week ago.  It was right next to a Quizno's, and I was in the mood for a sandwich, and HH was the cheaper option, so ordered a "turkey sub" with the idea that I'd get something sublike.  What I did get certainly wasn't that, but it was pretty tasty.  Basically it was sandwich ingredients wrapped in a pizza crust. The "Sub Sauce" seemed to be a kind of creamy Italian dressing, and it went well with the sandwich.  

The bread/crust was very, very oily and greasy, and covered in grated cheese.  It tasted good but sure made for some messy eating.  There was enough turkey inside to make me feel full afterwards, which was the whole idea since I wasn't getting another chance to eat for several hours.  

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5683
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/06/07 09:01:33 (permalink)
    Jimmy John's "Vito" sub is very tasty. 

But, they scream "Welcome to Jimmy John's" at every customer and the music is so ^$*(-ing loud I can't hear myself chew. 

I'd like to go back for the food, but I can't see taking a Xanax and extra BP meds just to have a tasty lunch!
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2010
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/06/07 11:51:44 (permalink)
    While I've heard good things about Jimmy John's, I've yet to sample it.  However, I've tried Hungry Howie's on 2 or 3 occasions and thought it was unexceptional.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1633
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/06/08 09:32:13 (permalink)
    Good coincidence,  the first Jimmy Johns anywhere near here has opened about 20 minutes away from me in Piscataway NJ, and I was planning to head there for lunch in the next few days, so the revival of this thread is helpful, thanks. If I get there I'll report back.

I'd never heard of Hungry Howie's, so I looked on line. Curiously the only one in the Northeast is in The Bronx, not exactly a hotbed of chain locations.
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 727
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/06/08 12:39:34 (permalink)
    I'm a casual eating JJ's fan. I like their sandwiches and the bread's always nice and fresh. I usually get a sandwich with double meat for a little extra and it makes for a perfect sub. I also like that you can get sprouts on a sub there. I like those much better than lettuce. The occasionally loud music doesn't bother me much as we're usually getting ours to go and not eating in.  And I certainly don't mind being welcomed by the staff. It's a nice touch, (one my local Penn Station also engages in, except they know us by name). I've never eaten at Howie's but there's one relatively close by. Just never had the urge to get a pie or anything with flavoured crusts. On a related note when I lived in Northern VA we had a place called Hungry Howard's that made great steak sandwiches. Loaded with beef on crispy bread and at a super price point. Wish they had gone national. I'd still be eating their steak sandwiches.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1633
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/07/03 22:58:38 (permalink)
    Took me a while, but my wife and I had lunch at our "local" Jimmy Johns (in Piscataway, about a 20 minute drive.

I have nothing really to complain about. The place was clean, the employees were courteous and helpful. We both got Roast Beef Subs and sodas. The bread was decent, the roast beef was pretty good, the total bill, $14, was reasonable.

Only problem is, in a state with like 75,000 independent sub shops, including at least 3 better ones I know of between us and Jimmy Johns, there really isn't any reason to ever go back. If it was down the block I might go again, it's better than Subway or Quick Chek, but not better than what I can find close to home.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 21349
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/07/04 12:52:47 (permalink)
    I can't understand any of those sub chains making it in New Jersey. But then,
    I'm still trying to figure out how Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's can survive in New Haven.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/07/04 22:31:46 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    I can't understand any of those sub chains making it in New Jersey. But then,
    I'm still trying to figure out how Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's can survive in New Haven.

That is such a sad picture: imagining someone eaing at Pizza Hut while missing the chance to go to Pepe's, Modern, or (for those with more patience than I have) Sally's. Then again, people around here go to Buffalo Wild Wings instead of Duff's, Anchor Bar, or any of the local places with better wings.
    As far as the original question, I have had subs from Jimmy John's on business trips where someone else was doing the meal ordering.  They were not bad, just not very memorable.  Usually I am able to find some better alternative; if not, they are better than Subway.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11520
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/07/08 02:19:43 (permalink)
    I've tried both of them and have one word to describe the experience:
    FAGETABOUTIT!
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10566
    RE: Any one try Hungery Howie's or Jimmy John's 2014/07/08 14:21:11 (permalink)
    I trust you.  I will.
    Jump to:
    © 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5