Hot!Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
WindyCityMike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 13:23:08 (permalink)
My girlfriend and I had our first date at the Ground Round in Burnsville, MN (then saw the movie About Last Night).  I guess that would make it 1986!  I remember enjoying the burgers, and what's more fun than having peanuts and throwing the shells on the floor?  Where else can you do that besides the ballpark?  Not sure when they closed down.

Now, if we are going to talk about great hamburgers, I do have a few favorites!  In Minnesota, you have to go to Matt's on Cedar and try a Juicy Lucy (cheese cooked inside the burger).  My folks took us kids and the grandkids to King's Place in Miesville, MN (home of the Miesville Mudhens!).  This was definitely worth the drive from the Twin Cities, if you're in town!

We live in Chicago now, so of course Hackney's is a must when you get a burger craving.  My favorite is with swiss cheese on rye bread.  SRO in Printer's Row is another favorite of mine: I always get the BBQ Cheddar burger.  If you have young kids, head to Des Plaines and treat them to a burger at the Choo-Choo Diner.  If you sit at the counter, your burger comes to you on a model train!  And if it's your birthday, they play a special song for you!  Hamburger Mary's is a fun place, if you are in the Andersonville neighborhood in Chicago.  If you want fancy, the Park Grill in Millennium Park had a very good burger.  Of course, there's always Five Guys.  Just don't throw the peanut shells on the floor!

So my wife and I have been married 25 years today.  I asked what she wanted for her Anniversary dinner.  She asked if there was a Ground Round nearby.  Sadly, we'd have to drive 83 miles from Chicago to go to the one in Brookfield, WI.  Good thing there are other options in Chicago for burgers!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4008
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 13:37:18 (permalink)
Sadly? No, any chance to drive to Wisconsin 🐄 is reason to celebrate.

Congratulations on 25 years of wedded bliss.🍾
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 14:18:09 (permalink)
There was one on Riverside Drive in Iowa City when I went to college ('98-'02).  Some friends and I went there once or twice.  I don't recall much about it aside from inoffensive, Applebee's-type American fare.  And waitstaff singing for birthdays.  Seems to have closed some years back.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7753
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 14:51:55 (permalink)
My cousin owned a Ground Round in Toms River, NJ.  I remember throwing the peanut shells on the floor....and the kids watching animated cartoons on screens around the restaurant. Fun place to go....the fun didn't last for too long, however.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 309
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 15:18:41 (permalink)
I had many a birthday party at the Keyport Nj location when I was young. The adults would sit around and smoke cigarettes and we would play video games and watch Mighty Mouse cartoons on the projection screen. We had a choice of Hamburger basket or Hotdog basket.
Karl
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5076
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 15:48:29 (permalink)
WCMike,
Welcome to Roadfood!  We've got a lot of common ground (Round?) between us, both in your native Minnesota and here in your adoptive home.  I used to make frequent business trips up to the Twin Cities.  Over the years we made a point of trying The Holy Trinity of Jucy Lucys, Matt's Bar, 5-8 Club, and The Nook.  Our favorite for the Burger itself was 5-8 Club.  The unique ambiance at The Nook made it a close second, with Matt's bringing up the rear.  Not a bad Burger, mind you, we just like the other two better.

We also found a great Burger at Lion's Tap over in Shakopee.  We met fellow Roadfooders Davydd and his wife Nancy there several years ago and enjoyed this magnificence on a bun:

Possibly the only Burger in history to ever look as good as the menu picture.  Trouble is, Lion's Tap's menu is a plain printed piece of paper, so my hyperbole doesn't entirely hold up.  Still, a damn good hunk of ground beef!

It's been years since I've been to a Hackney's, but it's about time for a return visit.  Specifically, the location on Harms Road in Glenview would make a nice outing for The Contingent (in case you're unaware, we're a group of Chicago and Milwaukee Roadfooders who get together several times a year to share Roadfood finds in and around both cities.  Consider this a cordial invitation to join the group if you please.  Keep your eyes peeled on the Eat & Greet Forum for future get togethers).

We rarely got to The Choo-Choo when my kids were little, but my now adult daughter and I made a nostalgic return trip a few years ago.  I wrote a nice review in the forums which seems to have disappeared (wake up Fexy folks, you're alienating a lot of longtime, supportive posters here).  Besides The Choo-Choo, Des Plaines has become a Burger destination.  There's of course Paradise Pup which has garnered praise as one of the best Burgers in the entire Chicago area.  And now we have American WildBurger serving up their own top notch grass fed beef patty.

JRPfeff is correct of course, driving to Wisconsin for a good Burger is reason to celebrate, but if you're going to go all that way, there are better options than Ground Round.  Sobelman's, Kopp's, and AJ Bombers come to mind in Milwaukee.  Big Star and The Spot in Kenosha, and Kewpee Burger in Racine are also excellent candidates.

Next time you're headed to DP, feel free to PM me.  If I'm available, I'll join you in a Burger or two.

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/07/13 15:51:53
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13725
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 17:20:30 (permalink)
I ate at the one in Burnsville, MN and Indianapolis IN many times.  Always enjoyed their burgers, fries, peanuts and pinball and mixed drinks.  Still 30 of them are still around and they seem to have upgraded quite a bit.

Locations for you.  http://www.groundround.com/Locations/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10323
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 17:38:10 (permalink)
We had a Ground Round not far from my parents' house in Rochester, PA.  We ate there several times and I remember it being pretty good.  I really remember the peanut shells.

Holy smokes, Buddy!  That is one helluva burger!!! 

Welcome to Roadfood WindyCityMike!  Happy anniversary!

tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2296
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 17:57:32 (permalink)
My Dad's friend owned the local "Ground Round". He ran a decent bar in the age when 18 yr olds could drink, and I used to hang out there one day a week after I got out of the service. I never ran into my future wife there, but she went there a few times too.

Later, when I was married, it was a good place to take the kids, with a good kids menu, that was priced according to the kid's weight. The kids loved that scale!

I think that at one time, the franchise was owned by the same company as Howard Johnson, and a lot of GR locations were former HJ. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 19:10:38 (permalink)
lleechef

Holy smokes, Buddy!  That is one helluva burger!!! 

Actually, it was four helluva Burgers!

Buddy

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10323
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 21:00:37 (permalink)
True Roadfooders!  I think that's davydd and his wife but I don't know who the other fellow is.  Awesome picture!! 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Anyone remember The Ground Round? Plus a St. Louis chain question 2016/07/13 22:31:09 (permalink)
You are correct, that is Davydd and Nancy.  The other guy is my Dad.

Buddy
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5