Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23273
2019/06/09 10:51:51 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
Re: Apizza: Better Than Italy 2019/06/09 11:58:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TJ Jackson 2019/06/10 10:22:26
They spelled "Gary, Indiana" wrong.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Apizza: Better Than Italy 2019/06/09 12:53:03 (permalink)
It must have been Roseland Apizza in Derby we went to back in the day. My Dad would drive the family over to Derby on a Sunday afternoon. Michael do you remember the flood that happened there in the 50's. I remember all the house falling in the water. ah-beets back at yah my friend.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23273
Re: Apizza: Better Than Italy 2019/06/09 17:14:36 (permalink)
pnwchef
It must have been Roseland Apizza in Derby we went to back in the day. My Dad would drive the family over to Derby on a Sunday afternoon. Michael do you remember the flood that happened there in the 50's. I remember all the house falling in the water. ah-beets back at yah my friend.

I remember Roseland. It was pretty well known, although we didn't think it came close to New Haven for pies. I was there a couple of times. I do remember the flood. I was living in Texas at the time and my favorite memory of it was getting word that my grandfather hired a helicopter to fly from New Haven over to Bantam Lake to make sure my aunt and uncle, who had a cottage there, were OK. That uncle's dental office in Naugatuck got flooded out.
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Apizza: Better Than Italy 2019/06/09 18:02:46 (permalink)
I never hesitate to tell people that the best pizza is in the New Haven area (I'm including West Haven for Zuppardi's). And they're often surprised to hear it.

I first drove up there with a friend to try Pepe's on a Saturday, then drove right back to Philly. That was maybe 12-15 years ago. I've been back there and a few of the other apizza places since that first time.  

post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/06/09 18:04:16
JoyB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Apizza: Better Than Italy 2019/06/11 14:44:58 (permalink)
I am so lucky to live just 35 minutes away from this wonderful pizza mecca. Yum! Went to Pepe's West Hartford on Mother's Day...not as good as the one in New Haven but it was very close to home and it is a lot better than most pies. My personal favorite is Zuppardi's in West Haven though. 
Ram4
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Apizza: Better Than Italy 2019/07/17 16:00:59 (permalink)
I've had New Haven style pizza twice or least that's what the restaurant claimed to make. 
- Piece in Chicago (twice).  Looked great, but actually got worse as we ate it.  Just average pizza.  Have no desire to return. 
- Tomatoes Apizza in Farmington Hills, MI.  This pizza I really liked and was cooked in a coal oven so I felt it must be closer to the real deal.  It also was named one of the best in the country by one national publication.  I even got to have a red pizza which is a New Haven thing.  I've been to Tomatoes 3-4 times and every time it was excellent.  They have a second location which does not have a coal oven and was not as good.

I kick myself for the one time I was in Connecticut (in Hartford for a concert in 2002) I didn't make any attempt at going for New Haven pizza but I'm sure I was aware of it.  I had to drive to Scranton the next day for another concert before returning to Hartford on the third day to fly home.  Gotta love America and our 10 days off bull****.  I probably could only take a couple days off work back then.  At least today I am self-employed and can take off unlimited days.  Just need the money too!  I did make a special stop after the concert for at least one east coast stlye pizza (as we call them) in tiny Oliphant PA.  I gleefully ate a 14" pizza in my car right as they closed and it was great.

I cannot wait to try all of the great pizza joints of New Haven in the future.  While I'm proud of my Chicago tavern style thin and deep dish favorites (screw you Stuffed Pizza), I welcome all styles with open arms around the country.  I do not expect any to eclipse what I already love about our local pizza, I can definitely see them being equally as amazing. Take Buddy's Pizza of Detroit.  I had wanted to try it for ages and finally got the chance in 2017 on my first trip to Detroit.  I loved it immediately.  It was everything I expected it to be.  Turns out I would be having Buddy's a lot more in the last two years because we ended up buying rental properties in the area and I had Buddy's many times along with other famous Detroit style stalwarts Cloverleaf, Shields, Niki's, and Loui's.  I can honestly say all were great.  Detroit's square pizza is very similar to Chicago deep dish as well.

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5