Helpful ReplyApril 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Author
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 12:01:17 (permalink)
mhill95
RE: Old Country Bakery

According to their Facebook Page They "Closed Down"
last week.

mike

Darn. I missed the deadline to place final orders, which were baked on Saturday. They haven't changed their website to say that, but have disable the ability place orders there.
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1218
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 12:14:46 (permalink)
lleechef
BuddyRoadhouse
David, you must have a fancier computer than me, 'cause none of his photos are there, whether it's his original post or the quotes.

Buddy

They're not on my laptop or MH's desktop either.

Well, this is interesting. While they were showing up yesterday, today they are gone. I guess Google Photos has problems? I've been pretty happy with photobucket, although there have been occasional issues.

David

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 12:21:43 (permalink)
Wednesday, April 19th

We were up early on Wednesday and spent a few minutes taking in the beauty of the hotel lobby during a period of quiet and minimal foot traffic.  It’s really a lovely place and one I would love to return to.  Part of the allure of staying at the Chase Park Plaza is that is it central to the West End (within walking), Delmar Loop (< 10 minutes), Forest Park (< 5 minutes), Wash U (< 5 minutes), SLU (< 5 minutes) and The Hill (5 minutes).  Even downtown is less than 15 minutes east.

Our first stop was one of MY favorite venues in STL – Winslow’s Home.  Set in the middle of mansion row and a dry goods store as little as ten years ago, Winslow’s Home has morphed into a great Roadfood stop.  It’s location about a mile west of the actual Delmar Loop but still on Delmar places it right in the middle of a residential area with ginormous, old style mansions. 

We arrived 10 minutes before the 7am opening and were the 2nd car in the small parking lot as Gary, Big_G had already arrived.  That gave us plenty of time for photos and a little chit chat on this gloriously sunny day!  Not even one backed up train crossing in site! 

When I first found Winslow’s Home some 8-9 years ago, there were perhaps 5 tables interspersed among the dry goods shelves, racks and displays along with 3-5 outdoor tables.  Today, dry goods are relegated to the west wall and the inside is all tables along with another dozen or more outside.  There’s also a really good self-serve coffee bar inside that would even warm the cockles of wanderingjew’s heart....he's in line with the Tin Man in Kansas to get them! 

Truly Farm-to-Table with everything prepared, cooked and baked on site.  Upon entering, walk up to the pastry display counter, peruse the menus and then fire…your order to whoever’s manning the register.  Now open for all 3 meals, you can also experience Winslow’s Home for either custom catering or special baked orders. 

Some years ago while enjoying a late night pie and coffee snack at perhaps, 9pm on Friday night, I asked about custom pies.  Mentioning raspberries, our server checked the cooler and sure enough, they had lots of fresh raspberries.  I ordered a Sour Cream Raspberry Pie with Crumble Top (paging The Honorable buffetbuster-san) for pick-up the next morning!  Arriving just after 10am, it was still warm from the oven and to this day is one of the all-time best pies I have ever had. 

We ordered, grabbed our coffee and a table for 4.  Interesting that within the next 30 minutes, all of the large communal tables would slowly fill with the regulars who nodded to each other and then grabbed what appeared to be their regular seats at their regular table.  Early on a weekday = no wait.  The staff mentioned that even with seating quadrupled since the old days, the weekends still have lines and waits. 

Danny choose the egg sandwich, I went with a breakfast burrito that used two types of beans instead of meat protein and Gary choose the pancakes remarking they required NO syrup.  They were mighty fine, so good I lost the picture!  As it was the first meal of the day (we had 11 scheduled), plates were cleaned! 

After numerous cups of coffee, we were off and on schedule for next stop….World Fair Donuts.  

STL, like many larger cities, has continuous road construction and as we approached Would Fair Donuts, we could see but not reach it.  We used the GPS map to take a big loop through a nice residential neighborhood filled with parks and approach from the backside even grabbing a great parking spot. 

We walked by an enormous salvage store that was selling every conceivable type of statuary for your home grounds.  Cement, metal, sculptures, you name it and it was both fascinating and made for interesting conversation.   

The store is tiny, located on a triangle corner. Upon entering, there were two older folks manning the counter.  With reverence, I would describe them as having been there since the World’s Fair…in 1904.  They open at 4am which most likely corresponds to the baking period which takes place right in the open behind the display counter.  The Hot Donuts sign was NOT illuminated in the window at 8am, but these still looked mighty fine.

Danny and I went with three – blueberry old fashioned, red velvet and a plain old-fashioned.  Gary grabbed a few more and we marched back to my car, opened the trunk and dined in the beautiful rain-free outdoors!  These were donut heaven and we all loved them!

Getting out of the traffic nightmare was much easier than getting in and within 10 minutes we were transported to the tranquil neighborhood that houses another of my all-time favorites – Park Avenue Coffee, home to STL famous gooey butter cake.

With over 70 varieties and typically 20 or so offered each day, ordering can be a challenge.  My only complaint with Park Avenue Coffee is there is no written list of that days offering.  There is a flyer with ALL offerings, but that days are transmitted orally.  The display case has a dozen or so of the best sellers so you can’t even see all of the days choices.  Many are held in back. That system sucks but they’re not listening to me on this one.  Perhaps a visit from Joe Rogo would enlighten them as to the error of their ways…Pittston Style

We bellied up, hemmed and hawed, ask for a repeat and finally choose three to go along with our coffee.  Danny went red velvet (do you see a pattern here?), Gary went cinnamon coffee cake and I selected white chocolate raspberry.  We grabbed the goods and headed out back to beautiful and tranquil rear patio. 

There was only one other table occupied on the patio.  Two guys, papers and laptops strewn about, were obviously having a business meeting.  When one of the two guys received a cell phone call, he immediately got up from the table so as not to disturb his co-worker and stood right next to us.  Typically, this would not bother me, especially since were enjoying our third rain and train free stop of the morning but I found it odd that he choose to stand next to the only other occupied table on the patio.  After about 5 minutes of this, I gave him the ChiTownDiner Evil Eye (taught to me by the famous Eye-talian Eye Guy, Joe Rogo himself) and he got the message and moved away. 

Check out all the flavors here…. https://parkavenuecoffee.com/

We split up after Park Avenue with Gary (who was originally from STL) returning to visit a family member and tour the old neighborhood.  Next up, Gus’s Pretzel Shop directly across the street from a local brewery….

Inside, it’s a modern facility obviously redone since they’ve been in business since 1920.  As you walk down the hall to the counter area, huge glass windows let you view the baking area which bustles with activity.  The basic pretzel is either twisted or straight.  From there, several dipping sauces are available.

These pretzels are soft, dense and quite filling.  We choose a classic twisted and a brat stuffed straight guy.  No inside dining is available so it was back to the trunk.  The plain pretzels would make a great sandwich! 

After departing Gus’s, it was back to The Hill for an early lunch.  Our choice, the mighty Amighetti’s!  The shop is really several and takes up half a block extending around the corner to their bakery where all the bread is baked fresh daily.  The inside of the bakery is really Old World and one gets the feeling they are stepping back in time to a bygone era. 

Rounding the corner, the restaurant takes up a large chunk of area and has an outside courtyard with ordering window.  The courtyard is sided by the restaurant proper on the south, enclosed party rooms on the east and a gelato and expanded indoor dining area on the north.  Street side is west.  We were pretty early at 10am so service was quick. 

The choice at Amighetti’s is always the Special which we decided to share.  The Special has ham, roast beef, salami, brick cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pepperoncini, pickle and a special sauce comprised of oil & vinegar with spices.  It’s a good sandwich made great by the bread! 

We were pretty full at this point and passed on one of my favorite venues directly across the street – Milo’s Bocce Garden which is a great neighborhood bar, restaurant, patio and bocce court.  On nice evenings, Milo’s rocks into the night with both the gentle clink of bocce balls hitting and bottles being raised to cheer! 

Our next stop was to be a little known Italian grocery outside of The Hill.  LeGrand Market is a full service grocery store that makes great unique sandwiches right at the butcher counter.  Pay up and there’s a few tables set right in the middle of the store to enjoy your creation.  LeGrand was on the spreadsheet (Milo’s was not) and we took a pass after the Special slowed us down. 

Back to the car for the 20 minute ride to location #2 of the Donut Stop.  A tricky little switchback finds this place buried in the center of large and dated strip mall.  We missed the sign twice (co-pilot errors) but finally acquired our target.  Big_G was already in the parking lot waiting! 

While not the original location which was too far south for this trip, location #2 was right on our path out of town. 

The menu is straightforward and the selection still pretty good at 11:45am.  I was intrigued by the Cherry Crème and asked about it. 

She explained to me the cherry cream is custom made and offered to do so.  A glazed donut is topped with a piped custardy cream and finished with cherry pie filling.  While Danny and Gary also ordered donuts, I don’t remember a thing except lighting into the Cherry Cream outside at the trunk!  Good stuff! 

Finishing our sugar rush, we loaded up the two vehicles and headed west to Columbia MO.  Our destination, the new for me Booches Billiard Hall.  Located about 10 minutes off the interstate right in the heart of downtown Columbia, Booches was an unexpectedly difficult place to find parking due in parts to the proximity of the college, lots of construction taking up street parking and a generally busy downtown area…must not have built the Walmart yet.  I even had to resort to a u-turn, something I hate to find a spot.

Love the "Closed on Sunday - See You in Church" sign! 

Walking in, we experienced yet another time warp.  The sign says since 1884 and not much has changed.  Bar on the left (with lots of locals) fronted by a flat top for burger cooking near the window, tables on the right, billiard tables all the back. 

Burgers are the go to here and we all ordered them.  Mine was a cheeseburger with extra cheese and it was love at first bite.  It had that west coast beef taste everyone in California and the rest of the country raves about.  The grilled onions and extra cheese made it really juicy and the sturdy bun stood up to the challenge.  These are smaller in size and in hindsight, I wish we would have explored a few more items particularly the Chili Wurst. 

The restrooms are located in back so you get a historic walk through the billiard area enroute.  Lots of local pool cues padlocked in the holders as you journey back.  The bathrooms are the smallest I’ve ever seen, smaller than onboard an airplane.  It’s a bowl…period.  Not even a sink.  The sink is outside and is used by all including a staff member who seemed to be almost taking a bath in it.  Different!

This was my favorite burger of the trip!  Hands down winner! 

We pull into KC in the next half of Day 2…much more to come….
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/01 12:51:59
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 12:23:13 (permalink)
Davidsanders
lleechef
BuddyRoadhouse
David, you must have a fancier computer than me, 'cause none of his photos are there, whether it's his original post or the quotes.

Buddy

They're not on my laptop or MH's desktop either.

Well, this is interesting. While they were showing up yesterday, today they are gone. I guess Google Photos has problems? I've been pretty happy with photobucket, although there have been occasional issues.

David

I believe I have already indicated the source of the problem as well as the solution.  Please use extreme caution when dealing with the wandering one. 
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11917
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 12:56:36 (permalink)
CTD
Really great photos!  That burger looks amazing!!

Dale's pics just wandered off..........

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6644
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 15:09:39 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Buddy

Nice continuation...and a few comments...

Still have not made L&L...need to put it on my list.

L&L is waiting for you.  That can be our next lunch meeting if you'd like.  I'll get a short stack and a side of Corned Beef Hash, and you can order your usual "left side of the menu".

ChiTownDiner
So weather and a "train crossing" were the only things slowing you guys down?  How about the time of day!

We were pretty much on schedule when we left for breakfast.  The train crossing--actually two trains going in opposite directions, one going about two mph, the other at a dead stop--set us off on a ridiculous alternate route trying to circumvent the delay, but only made it worse.  Bobbi was a little irritated, but a good sport, knowing she still needed a ride for the next 500 miles.

ChiTownDiner
As we passed Dixie Truckers, I mentioned to Danny about its inclusion in a previous Roadfood list but totally concur with your present assessment...it sucks!  

Damn shame about The Dixie.  It used to be a fun place to stop, now it's just a halfway decent bathroom break.  Couldn't even find a Goo-Goo Cluster to snack on for the ride.

ChiTownDiner
I also concur with your agreement regarding Springfield "as a horrible place to visit."  So true!  

You sir are spreading Fake News by taking my Springfield description out of context.  I was sarcastically referring to your misguided assessment of our state's beautiful capitol (corrupt politicians and non-existent state budget aside).  I still hold the city in great esteem and hope to someday lead a large group of Roadfooders on an awe inspiring Crawl of Lincoln's home town.

ChiTownDiner
I totally understand a stop at Cozy Dogs especially with guests but that burger at Booches was top shelf good!  

No doubt Booches were the best Burgers on your trip.  As I've said before, a little pricey for the size of the Burger, but definitely worth a one time stop to soak in the history and ambiance, mixed with a healthy dose of grease.  I have no regrets about the KC Burger places we chose.  Transporting 19 Roadfooders 125 miles east to Columbia for a Hamburger would have been a little tricky.

In other matters...
It's nice to see you doing some advance scouting on St. Louis.  A little bear...er, I mean bird told me watch out for a major St. Louis/Cleveland showdown over the destination of next year's Crawl.  I'll be happy no matter where we go, but knowing you've already got a fair amount of St. Looey stops up your sleeve makes me feel better.

Judging from your order at World's Fair Donuts...
...you clearly know the proper donuts to order.  The question is, why didn't you order those donuts at Mel-O-Cream in Springfield, instead of wasting your time with that creme (note the spelling) filled glop?  Is it because you have a not so subconscious hatred for Springfield, and wanted to see Mel-O-Cream fail, even if it meant eating sub par Donuts, just to prove a point???

Tune in tomorrow for the answer to these and many other questions!

ChiTownDiner
See ya at Happy Gillis

Save me a bite of your Shrimp & Grits.

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/05/01 16:39:05
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9299
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 18:15:57 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Walking back to our next stop, we paused at the statue of Chuck Barry.

Chuck Barry?!?!?

BuddyRoadhouse
CTD,
There's frequently great history and even beauty to be found among those boarded up buildings.

Perhaps "The Worst Toilet in Illinois"?
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 18:30:50 (permalink)

I think I figured out what was wrong. I was wondering if anyone see my photos now  on page one ?
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 18:40:19 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I think I figured out what was wrong. I was wondering if anyone see my photos now  on page one ?

Yep.  Exterior and interior of LC's Hamburgers and a fantastic picture of a burger!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 18:42:21 (permalink)
Yes, the pictures are now appearing.

I'm now having lingering regrets over not catching the Chuck Barry error, and deeper regrets over starting a fascination with toilet references in another thread.  To paraphrase a punchline from an old joke, "ScreamingChicken, I'd expect something like that from myself, but you?!?"

Buddy
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 18:50:13 (permalink)
Thanks Lleechef and Buddy

It seems I had to create an album, add photos to album and click share photos in order for the photos to appear. I guess just uploading the photos onto googlephotos.com wasn't good enough

Now why David Sanders could see my photos yesterday and not everyone else is just a complete mystery. Perhaps this guy knows the answer ?
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 19:43:51 (permalink)
TERRIFIC report, guys. It's quite a project to read so I can only imagine the effort that goes into writing it. Thanks a lot, once again, for letting me have a chance to 'go' where it is very unlikely I am ever likely to show up. Sorry to break it to you, Dale, but your pictures are still not showing up on my laptop..
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 860
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 19:59:42 (permalink)
mlm
TERRIFIC report, guys. It's quite a project to read so I can only imagine the effort that goes into writing it. Thanks a lot, once again, for letting me have a chance to 'go' where it is very unlikely I am ever likely to show up. Sorry to break it to you, Dale, but your pictures are still not showing up on my laptop..

Not showing up here either whereas they were before. Weird
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 20:03:12 (permalink)
Wednesday, April 19th con’t…

Another two hours of driving and we entered the KC area.  Our next stop was supposed to be Andre’s Confiserie Suisse, a David Sanders find.  We both were a little tired from the drive and decided to postpone this one for a different day.  Gone, but definitely NOT forgotten. 

We coordinated with Gary and continued right to our hotel, one of two Hyatt Places located in Overland Park Kansas.  Seven of us ended staying there as I was able to find a pretty good rate on Priceline Express that didn’t include tax!  At least until it was time to pay for it! 

We all checked in to take a little break, phone home, check emails and finally around 6:30pm, Gary, Danny and I headed together into the downtown area.  We were joined by David (literally as we parked next to him as he turned off his car) and a short time later one of our co-hosts for the weekend CNW, Chris

I had made a reservation at Grunauer, a CNW recommendation and we were seated at a round table which I so prefer as it allows conversation to flow freely.  Having been on numerous of these Roadfood get-togethers, I always love the rising energy in the group as new folks join us and tonight proved no exception to that rule.  Truly a great group of participants and I thank everyone who ventured out. 

Grunauer is a German & Viennese style restaurant and I had received advance approval from Joe Rogo  for its regional appropriateness.   There’s a great interior shot right here - http://grunauerkc.com/ 

We talked for a bit about our stops for the day and Chris interspersed the conversation, as he would do all weekend, with great facts, trivia and history about the KC area.  While the call of a Bierock Smackdown had often appeared to me in dreams, I really enjoyed this information as I have never traveled to KC.

We began with an assortment of fried mushrooms served strangely with tartar sauce.  As odd as I thought the combination, it not only worked, it was a winner! 

I went a little heavier and ordered up the Jausenbrettl. Jausenbrettl is a mixed platter – ala Italian antipasti style – of various German meats.  Ours included Hungarian salami, country pate, bierwurst, mortadella, pickled veggies and a delicious liverwurst.  While this liverwurst would end up being #2 on the trip, it was still an A-!!!! And I finished it all! 

For dinner, everyone choose something different and I went with the Jäger Schnitzel Vom Schwein.  A pork schnitzel is finished scaloppini style, topped with mushroom cream sauce and plated with spinach spätzle.  I love this style of dish and the flavor was very good.  My only criticism would be it needed more of the mushroom cream sauce which was served very sparingly.  I enjoy coating the spätzle right down to the last one and this was not able to happen. 

I’ll let everyone else comment on their own selections.  Seeing no movement when the call for dessert arose, and being the senior Roadfooder at the table, I assumed control and ordered an Apple Strudel for everyone to sample.  This was nice way to end the meal. 

We said our good-byes and headed out to the cars with visions of flat top burgers dancing in our heads.  Yep, we drove the ¾ of mile to Town Topic, a 24 hour burger institution. 

Tiny is a useful word here.  The interior seats 8-10 all counter style.  As we entered, there were 3 together between the grill and register.  We grabbed them not realizing that protocol dictates you order first.  As it was fairly empty, this was quickly remedied by standing up to announce our order and then sitting back down.  As the counter waitress was all of 18 inches away, this was sort of unnecessary, but we went with the flow. 

Gary started with a chili bowl which we all shared. Pretty good stuff.

I went with a double with extra cheese, grilled onions and tomato.  As I was directly in front of the grill, everyone seemed to be ordering hash browns so, I ordered hash browns.  I choose plain and they were really good.  Cooked to a golden brown and accompanied with a bit of ketchup, I loved them.

Burgers are prepped like a meatball, tossed onto the grill, covered in onions and then smashed down hard.  The onions cook right into the burger, the edges getting crusty.  We ended up having 4 burgers on the trip and I’d rate Booches an A, Hayes Hamburgers an A-, Town Topic a B+ and Winstead's a B-.  We all also ordered milk shakes…because that's what Roadfooders do!  They were nothing like a New England creamery shake but fit the bill nicely. 

Here’s a shot of the crew as we secured the three stools right in front of the grill.  That’s Big_G, Gary discussing the finer points of Roadfooding with ChiBears15, Danny in the middle.  My temporarily vacated seat in the foreground was right in front of the grill.  You can see the hash browns and shakes pretty clearly. You also get an idea of space, which is limited cozy. 

As I left, I placed a reserved sign on the counter in front of my seat knowing that David Sanders would have dreams about this place once he saw the pictures posted on GroupMeMy intuition was rewarded! 

Love this sign!  If you follow me on Instagram #chitowndiner, I posted a video of this sign which is slightly mesmerizing!

We’re done for the day…and night!

Days 3 – 6 still to come…

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/02 10:11:00
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13940
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 20:38:35 (permalink)
I have to tell you CTD that is among the best reports I have read on this forum ever.  You are the best.  Dale and BB are right there and Roadfood should pay you for all your fine reports.  The Mayor use to do this but he is not with us any more along with Poverty Pete, Rick,  and of course Bushie.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1218
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 20:49:18 (permalink)
Gregg, the next time I'm on one of these trips I'm going to stick with you every minute (well, maybe not every minute). Reading your report really made me regret my decision to get out of St. Louis so quickly and make a beeline to Slap's. I would have loved to have tried most of the places you went to, including Booches. Although in hindsight, I would have preferred to go to Joe's KC instead of Grunauer and meet up with you at Town-Topic.
David

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 21:43:57 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Gregg, the next time I'm on one of these trips I'm going to stick with you every minute (well, maybe not every minute). Reading your report really made me regret my decision to get out of St. Louis so quickly and make a beeline to Slap's. I would have loved to have tried most of the places you went to, including Booches. Although in hindsight, I would have preferred to go to Joe's KC instead of Grunauer and meet up with you at Town-Topic.
David

I'll save you a seat anytime, anywhere!  
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/01 21:45:03
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/01 21:48:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/02 07:00:42
Sundancer7
I have to tell you CTD that is among the best reports I have read on this forum ever.  You are the best.  Dale and BB are right there and Roadfood should pay you for all your fine reports.  The Mayor use to do this but he is not with us any more along with Poverty Pete, Rick,  and of course Bushie.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Thanks Paul, appreciate the kind words but we had tremendous mentors with everyone on that list and of course, you especially!  Keeping the memories alive through Roadfood!

The only one I can't keep up with is Zor...he gets around! 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 11:16:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/02 16:19:43
Thursday, April 20th

We (Gary, Danny and I) met in the hotel lobby just prior to 6:30am for a little free coffee, a couple of newspapers and a little huddle on our first full day in KC.  We declined the offer of free breakfast.  Our hotel was solid and much quieter than expected as it seems we had a lot of different sports teams staying here. As all three of us were on the top floor, that may have contributed to the overall quiet.  A good night’s sleep is very important on these trips as we put in some long hours! 

The first stop of the organized Roadfood day was scheduled for 8am…but we had other ideas.  David Sanders had done some fine research and found out about Meshuggah Bagels.  While none of us had been there before, reviews were extremely positive and looking at their website, two more locations were coming soon!  Very soon….

We arrived just before opening which guaranteed us 2 parking spots in the small, four car lot.  We backed in to keep an eye on the door and caught up on social media and emails.  A van near the front door was being offloaded as bagels are now baked off site (success and 2 more locations coming) and reloaded with delivery orders.  I asked the guy if they were open and he indicated we could head right on in.

It’s a compact sized operation with the bagel display right inside the front door.  I was frozen in my tracks and speechless….for about 10 seconds.  This was looking just like a NY/NJ bagel operation.  My radar was lighting up!  This was, a Target Rich Environment! 

I don’t need much help with a menu in an authentic bagel shop but it was nice to meet one of the two partners as he manned the order spot.  He indicated they were from NY and NJ (1 each) and bagels were made the East Coast way which meant boiled and then baked.  They had all my favorites as well as the spreads. 

After a bit more conversation, I went with my go to order.  See if you can translate it from the bag above.  Hint, Danny’s was the top one, mine right below.

We filled our coffee from the self-serve area and were rewarded with a great cup of coffee.  This was a nice surprise as it further indicated to me that the boys knew their stuff. Most of the perimeter tables were two’s or three’s, so we grabbed spots at the communal table in the middle.  It allowed us room to expand and a front row seat for the action at the counter…and of course, room for photos!

David Sanders pulled up a few minutes later, placed his order and joined us making our Breakfast #1 Group a foursome.  They are clearly getting repeat business as the short but continuous line of 3-5 folks all seemed to know what they wanted from previous visits.  Lots of complimentary feedback was coming in from all directions. 

Opening the bag, I was excited to find perfection.  My everything bagel was toasted perfectly with scallion cream cheese on both sides – very important!  I had the Nova lox (smoked salmon) and added tomato, onion and the ever-important ingredient, capers.  The ratios were spot on and this was a great start to the day!!! 

Meshuggah Bagels scores a perfect ten and was a great way to open the day.  It’s only down note was pricing which I thought extremely high for the region/area putting it on par with East Coast prices or higher.  Everyone at our table really enjoyed their orders so much so that we kidded each other about a return visit.  Same place twice on a Roadfood tour….not often, but there is precedence!

We cleaned the table off and headed back out after dishing up several compliments to the owner and his staff.  Next up, the first official tour stop…Happy Gillis!

Situated in a small Little Italy neighborhood, this place looked like it belongs on the Roadfood cover. 

Pulling up, we could see the gang assembling.  While some folks had not yet arrived, our total for the weekend was expected to be about 20 with at least a dozen making the first stop.  Lots of hugging and exchanges about previous tours or the past days activities as we waited for the clock to chime.

Here’s a dozen or so in line to order shortly after the door was opened at 8am sharp!

Order at the counter, grab a beverage and they will bring food out to the table.

I was in the mood for ice tea after finishing four cups of coffee and it was a good one with just a hint of fruit and spice. 

I went with Shrimp and Grits which mixed grits with a Mo-Yo sauce (their word, not mine) which added a creaminess and a bit of pop.  Topped with shrimp, kale and corn kernels, this was a delicious opener. A soft cooked egg underneath the toppings added to the flavor profile.

Here’s a Biscuits and Gravy with a side of bacon.  This was pretty tasty! 

My 2nd choice was ordered by Bobby who was seated next to me allowing for easy access.  Smoked salmon on avocado toast with a soft cooked egg and topped with pickled onions, corn nuts and toasted sunflower seeds.  This was fantastic. 

As the menu is small, pretty much everything was ordered and passed from table to table for sampling.  We had the place pretty much to ourselves with one exception.  An unsuspecting couple arrived and ended up being seated in the middle of our group.  Buddy went right up and before you knew it, they were part of the group….if only for this one stop.  Making friends, eating well!

A large percentage of the group had reservations at the Cat (big cats) Sanctuary about 45 minutes south of town.  Danny and I had other plans and agreed to meet back up at 12:40pm at the next eating stop. 

We jumped in the car and headed to Winstead’s for a burger and shake.

The outside of the building does not truly reflect the interior.

Inside, Winstead’s is gleaming, and huge with neon and chrome.  It was pretty empty – maybe 4 tables out of 50 – mainly due to the time.  We were after breakfast and well before lunch.  But steakburgers are always available, 24 hours a day since 1940.

Here’s my cherry malt which came out quickly. 

Burgers are cooked to order and take a bit of time.  Here’s my double with extra cheese, grilled onions, tomato and mayo…my favorite combination.  Juicy good, we were glad to stop by this KC intuition although I’m guessing around midnight, it’s a whole different story! 

Next up for us, the National Airline History Museum.  Now before you get to excited, this was a fun stop but nowhere near some of the other aviation museums I have encountered. 

On the ramp outside the hangar, there’s an old L10-11 minus the engine #3 on the tail.  It’s off limits for visitors.  After paying our admission, we watched a short, poorly done 10 minute movie and then toured a small room with vintage uniforms and other artifacts from a bygone era.  Danny was really surprised to sit in the old airliner seats, the ones you actually could move around in! 

After a short wait, we were escorted into the hangar by one of the restoration technicians.  He walked us around for the next 2 hours and explained the acquisition process, the rebuild process and the lack of funds.  The highlight was getting to board a fully restored Constellation and tour the inside.  Pretty cool!

Circling the airport on the way in, we noticed a TWA Museum on the other side with several aircraft in full TWA livery on the ramp and an even bigger hanger.  Perhaps next time! 

Our next 2 stops ran us back across the state line into Kansas.  We visited an old world German style butcher and grocery store…Werner’s Fine Sausages or Werner’s Specialty Foods.

Upon entering, the aroma is magnificent!  I walked around a bit and Danny indicated he was passing on this one.  I got into the short lunch line and ordered…

…receiving the best homemade liverwurst sandwich ever!  I noticed the regulars going with fresh onion rolls and I did the same.  Adding in American cheese, tomato and mayo, I had one extraordinary sandwich.  On the first bite, I knew I was sampling one of the all-time best! 

Off we went to rejoin the group at an unusual stop…

Strawberry Hill, home to the Povitica baking cartel.  Povitica are dense loaves of a sweetened dough that are rolled extremely thin and stuffed with various fruits, nuts, candies, etc. and rolled in a secret way.

Arriving just after the day’s baking had finished, we were regulated to tasting samples.

And samples there were, perhaps a good 12 flavors.  Several of us bought some taking advantage of the 2 for 1 special.  If you’re a Costco shopper, these are on sample for the weekends in December in the Oak Brook IL store.   I went with apricot for my mom and cinnamon apple crunch for me.  Heated in the microwave with butter, a great accompaniment to cup of coffee. 

The 2nd half of Day 3 will be posted tonight…much more to come….

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/02 11:23:34
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9299
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 12:45:57 (permalink)
Which Winstead's did you go to?  It looks like the one located near Country Club Plaza but I don't know if they're all similar.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 14:23:12 (permalink)
That was definitely Winstead's Country Club Plaza location.  If you want to try Winstead's, that's the original Missouri location (the very first Winstead's was in--hold onto your toes kiddies--Springfield, IL!), and the one to visit.  CTD's observation about the exterior not quite matching up with the interior is unfortunately accurate.

When that location first opened in 1940, and through the first few years of my patronage in the early '80s, the interior design was very reflective of the architecture.  It was a classic diner layout with, IIRC, a double horseshoe counter surrounded by a handful of booths.  The seats were covered in an olive drab vinyl and the tables were well worn Formica.  There was little or no neon, and the whole place had a more authentic look; none of the "Happy Days" facade seen in the current incarnation.  It was the kind of place where millionaires and bums would rub elbows at the counter and get to know each other.

Sadly, a search for vintage photos of the interior came up empty.  If anyone out there has better resources, please feel free to post those pictures.

The family owned chain was bought up by an international investment group in 1982 and barely survived extinction.  The remaining locations were all "updated" with the new look.  Once upon a time, I (and Calvin Trillin) would have told you Winstead's made the best Hamburger in Kansas City.  We still visit occasionally, out of a sense of nostalgia, but we've definitely found better KC Burger options in the last few years.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/05/03 17:16:19
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 14:24:23 (permalink)
We went to the one on Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd thinking from research it was the original but since rebuilt.  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 14:44:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/02 16:23:48
Thursday, April 20th con’t…

We had sorta been cruising our way through the morning and it was now time to put the peddle to the metal, or perhaps more appropriately, the knife & fork to the plate.  We left Strawberry Hill and crossed back over into Missouri for our next stop, Jerry’s Café.

Jerry’s Café is a breakfast/lunch kind of place with a fine reputation for Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwiches.  Early on, I had hopes for a visit by the BPT expert himself, Davydd.  I would have enjoyed both his assessment and discussion of the finer points of BPT’s. We arrived around 1:30pm in deference to both the lunch hour rush ending and the kitchen shutdown at 2pm. 

We did have enough expertise in the house as our group has swelled to 16 with the much anticipated arrival of Joe Rogo from our nation’s capital of Pittston PA.  Jerry’s was ready for us and us for them and all of for Joe.  As I knew a lot of folks were going down the BPT pathway and that these are extremely large sandwiches, I went a different direction. 

No one had ordered a BLT so it was an easy choice.  It took some time as it was the next to last item out of the kitchen but was worth the wait.  Certainly not Crown Candy Kitchen worthy, it was a solid choice and provided a break from the rotating plates of sliced ‘n’ diced BPT’s circulating the table. 

One of many BPT’s before being devoured!  Our merry little band of Roadfooders had a great time at Jerry’s.  The staff was lots of fun, we had a big communal table and food was rotating in both directions constantly.

Now, I spend considerable time (usually several months) planning and organizing my itinerary.  There are always a few “special” places on any spreadsheet and it behooves you to keep your eye on the prize. 

The next stop was going to be one of those and as soon as my debt to society and the BPT feast was paid, my car was in motion.  Parked at the exit and faced in the correct direction with GPS pre-programmed, we were off before the gun was fired. 

I noticed my co-pilot had his eyes closed for most of the ride as speed limits, one-way streets and U-turn rules were laid to waste with our sense of urgency.  A short while later, we arrived.

Pryde’s Kitchen and Necessities is a two-story collection of EVERYTHING kitchen related…EVERYTHING!  Every color, style, size, you name it, it was there.  But back in the farthest corner….

…sits Ashleigh’s Bake Shop.  Past the start-up stage, Ashleigh’s is one of the finest pie shops I have ever encountered.   Ashleigh runs the place by herself after having given up a business career.  Her only assistance is from her father who helps in the kitchen with dish washing, inventory and lots of labor.  I am guessing that Ashleigh will be a huge success relocating to larger quarters much as her predecessor Upper Crust did. 

Several (non-refrigerated) pies are on display on the adjacent counter…

…with several more in the cooler.  Ralph (foreground) and Chris (just behind) check out the wares before ordering.  Ashleigh is also in view in the back area preparing another order.  Also, if you look past Chris, you get a small idea of the expanse of the kitchen store. 

Arriving first and leaving a trembling Danny in the car, I became the line to order….and that’s my favorite place to be in a pie shop.  After being welcomed by Ashleigh, we got to business.  I had spoken to Ashleigh the previous week to make a few suggestions, one of which was Sour Cream Raisin.  I had two goals at this point: make sure we could order a sampler plate which Ashleigh graciously agreed to and confirm that there was Sour Cream Raisin stashed in the back. 

I suggested a price of $8 for a three half slice sampler.  Ashleigh countered with $7…  As for SCR, safe and secure and ready for slicing!  Chris had also spoken to Ashleigh and was able to make sure my SCR was meringue topped and after polling the group, made a few more suggestions to Ashleigh.  I believe she made most of the requests with the exception of David's cherry. We'll let him have an extra bagel or three for the slight....

The first 2/3 of my order was simple…Sour Cream Raisin and Cherry Almond Crumble (also housed in the back for safe keeping) and one of my picks.  For the third half slice, I went with Ashleigh’s favorite, Raspberry & Rhubarb.  The R&R was unique with a contrasting sweet and sour flavor profile.  Crusts were perfect, light, flakey, buttery.  All three belong in the Pie Hall of Fame curated by none other than buffetbuster!  SCR is such a rare commodity in my part of the country, I dove right in and still tasted another half dozen and loved every one of them. 

This was an awesome sized sampler and Ashleigh decided to discount to $6.50.  Just look at the size of the slices.  As everyone finished and moved out to the front of the store to stretch, shop or browse, I went for another full slice of SCR and was not disappointed. 

After doing a little Mother’s Day shopping up front, I went back to thank Ashleigh one more time as tranquility had returned to the room.  I asked her if she had any more SCR left and she said due to the pie flights, she had a large quarter or small half of one pie left, basically 3 half slices.  I took that to go and it was a great bedtime snack for the next two nights! 

Leaving Ashleigh’s, I was a bit concerned as I had somewhat over did it there and we had two big BBQ stops and veteran steak house coming up in the next 3 hours! 

Next up was Slap’s BBQ….

Slap’s is a small place and prior to smoker expansion, frequently ran out of food by lunch time.  That’s all a thing of the past now as capacity is greatly expanded. 

While there is a substantial menu, we didn’t have to worry.  Buddy had spoken to the proprietor in advance and as we came at an off time of 3:45pm, we grabbed seats and complimentary drinks and eagerly awaited. 

Our $4 sampler including tip, tax and beverage consisted a couple of mighty good ribs, a scoop of burnt ends and several slices of jalapeno infused sausage.  Sides were exemplary and included BBQ beans, cheesy corn casserole and baked potato casserole.  Everything was awesome! 

The proprietor spent a lot of time with us explaining the process and answering questions.  When we had finished, we moved outside to free up table space for the early dinner crowd that was starting to arrive and he came right out with us seeming to really enjoy the group. 

After this huge serving of hospitality and BBQ, I was topped out…maybe the pie had something to do with it also!  We voted to cancel Joe’s KC BBQ, our next stop and everyone headed off for much needed 75 minute break.  While Joe’s is rated highly, we knew we would be destroyed by Jess & Jim’s which is a full serve steak house in the old school way, meaning there was going to be nothing small at J&J’s!

We loaded up after stopping for a few minutes to appreciate the downtown view from Slap’s and took our much need break.  After that, it was off to Jess & Jim’s Steak House

You almost get the feel of being in the stockyard portion of Fort Worth TX. 

Stepping inside from the bright sunlight reveals an interior where beef has been King since 1938.  Still in the same family….

…there’s a full menu plus to choose from with steaks attractively displayed in the lobby.  It’s steak house dark on the inside and there are several side rooms, nooks and crannies throughout the building.  We had a nice big table reserved in back portion of the house and a couple of really good servers attended to our every need.

Everybody gets baskets of garlic bread, Texas thick cut,  to accompany their soup or salad or appetizer.

My Salad was served chilled with blue cheese salad dressing and extra blue cheese crumbles.  Great with the garlic bread and as David Sanders mentioned, he was kind enough to lend me a shrimp from his Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail. 

Some folks had the Bowl of Prime Beef Soup which was loaded with prime steak hunks!  Missed the picture, sorry.

I went for the 5oz Filet, medium rare and an accompanying side order of Shrimp Scampi.  I had acquired enough shrimp to both trade back with David Sanders and to allow other folks to sample.  My fears that a small filet would be a tough end piece or overcooked were completely dismissed after the first cut.  Sweet perfection…tender, juicy, flavorful and cooked just right. 

We were recommended towards the Twice Baked Potato.  Jess & Jim’s is slightly different from most in that after baking and whipping, the potato is returned to the skin without the toppings.  They are added after allowing for allergies and dislikes to be better controlled.

While we ALL declined dessert, a highlight for me was when one of the partners spent considerable time explaining the family tree and history of the restaurant.  She answered questions and pointed out menu favorites.  Just behind the hostess stand, in a large glass case, there are copies of two of the older Roadfood books on display with Jess & Jim’s named inside.  I went out to the car and brought back in the newest edition (March 2017) and proudly showed her their page! 

Recently named to a Top 10 Best Steakhouses in the World list, Jess & Jim’s has also appeared on so many other lists, books, magazines, TV shows and newspaper articles that whether you believe those lists or not, the frequency and wide range of them absolutely hits the nail on the head.  This was damn good steak, service and history!

Love this place! 

Days 4 – 6 still to come…including more BBQ & BPT’s and still brewing, the Great Cortado Meet-Up!
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5332
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 16:24:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/02 16:27:54
I think I have CTD sold on Pittston for next years tour!

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 16:28:43 (permalink)
joerogo

I may come to visit and set up shop in your wine cellar and never leave!  Can I send my wash upstairs? 
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5332
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 16:35:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/02 16:36:22
ChiTownDiner
joerogo

I may come to visit and set up shop in your wine cellar and never leave!  Can I send my wash upstairs? 

Margaret said, everything but your mutandes.....you need to take them to the laundromat. 

And the wine fridge is always well stocked with prosecco. 
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 16:41:42 (permalink)
joerogo
ChiTownDiner
joerogo

Margaret said, everything but your mutandes.....you need to take them to the laundromat. 

And the wine fridge is always well stocked with prosecco. 

I'll camp out next to the Prosecco and I can do my own laundry! 
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5828
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 17:16:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/02 18:26:23
New addition to the Roadfood lexicon:

Joerogo'd - To have your hotel reservation denied for extraneous reasons.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 17:16:52 (permalink)
New addition to the Roadfood lexicon:

Joerogo'd - To have your hotel reservation denied for extraneous reasons.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/02 17:18:24 (permalink)
An a one an a two an a three JoeRogos.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5