Helpful ReplyApril 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5330
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 11:42:50 (permalink)
Well, let me jump in here!

First, a tour like this doesn't happen by accident.  Thank you so much BuddyRoadhouse & CNW for all the planning and a perfect execution.  It was a pleasure to see old RF friends again, and meet some new ones.

I arrived on Thursday morning, but, felt like I missed half the trip!  The road tripping RFer's were posting some really good stuff as the ventured to KC.  I drove directly to my hotel, but it was around noon and they said they didn't have any rooms ready yet.  No problem, see you later!

My 1st stop was at Jerry's Cafe, couldn't be happier!  I was immediately greeted by ChiTownDiner, whipping out the spreadsheet!

Jerry's was my first authentic Mid-West BPT.  A little thicker than I was expecting, but very good.

In the world of amazing photos....we have ChiTownDiner taking a drink, while his plate miraculously levitates next to him.  Reminds me of the saying, "if you had a third hand you'd choke" 

Jerry's was a solid stop.  The kind of place you can eat at every day.

The next stop was Ashleigh's Bake Shop.  I'm not a big dessert guy, so I just watched the carnage and took some pics. (Disclaimer: Some pics were taken from Ashleigh's FB page)

ChiTownDiner & Big_g reviewing the sacred document.

It was a pleasure meeting schlotz(Boyd) & the pie eating machine known as Davidsanders.  They were in good company.  

BuddyRoadhouse & Ralph Melton with their pie flights.  Last years attendees will appreciate Ralph's shirt.

Group photo taken by our host.....who is 79 years old and standing on a stool.

Selfie with our host(don't remember her name).  Photobomb by David.

Next we moved on to Slap's BBQ.  Great stop and great planning.  Everybody received a personal plate with sausage, brisket, a rib and three delicious sides.  All for the bargain price of $4!!!

I gave Slap's the award for best sausage, great taste with a nice jalapeno zing!  And my plate must have been blessed!  It seemed like every time I ate a piece of sausage......two appeared!

At this point, the group decided to skip Joe's and take a nap before Jess & Jim's.  Since I was up since 3 AM, I decided to hit Joe's and catch some zzzzz's at my nice comfortable hotel.

I give Joe's the award for best pulled pork, it was melt in your mouth good.  The ribs were a little salty(they were perfect when I had the leftovers for breakfast the next morning), and the beans were very good.  I'm glad I stopped here, great food, great experience.

So, I go to check into my hotel(Candlewood, I got a deal!).....there's nobody there!  I'm waiting in the lobby with several other people, no receptionist!  Do you think she ran when she saw me coming?  45 minutes! It was an omen......checked into the Marriott down the street, upgraded to club level.  I declare Day One a success!!!

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11911
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 12:28:22 (permalink)
Nice pics, Joe!!  Why do you always have hotel issues?  " />
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10348
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 13:06:56 (permalink)
Fun report. Thanks guys!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 14:01:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/04 17:30:17

I gave Slap's the award for best sausage, great taste with a nice jalapeno zing!  And my plate must have been blessed!  It seemed like every time I ate a piece of sausage......two appeared!

I've seen you that with wine many times....now sausage...let me know when it happens with $100's! 
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 14:20:07 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Recommended by the esteemed KC historian Bill Voss, SubTropolis is located in a portion of a previously mined salt cave.  

Actually, a limestone mine. There is similar underground offices or storage across the metro area in both states.

There is underground storage in salt museums in central Kansas, notably Hutchinson, Kansas, which also has the only slat mine museum in North America.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 14:43:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/04 14:58:19
Saturday, April 22nd

As in the two previous mornings, Gary, Danny and I once again met in the hotel lobby and were joined by wanderingjew, Dale, who was staying at a nearby hotel.  Joe Rogo also arrived for the 6:30am rendezvous and we chatted it up and exchanged stories with Dale, bringing him up to date on the week’s exploits…at least all those that could be told.

The first stop of the organized Roadfood day was scheduled for 8am and we had actually scheduled a 7:00am run to Heirloom Bakery.  As it was our fifth day of hardnosed Roadfooding, I actually woke up full.  Perhaps finishing off the last ½ of SCR from the room refrigerator has something to do with it.  With the parking warnings we received from Chris the day before, we continued our leisurely conversation and finally departed the hotel arriving at our 8:00am stop around 7:15am.

Parking was a snap at that hour and the briskness of the morning was only briefly suspended when all five rode together in my car putting Beefcake1 back on the road together for the first time on this tour.   As we peeled out of the car, it reminded me of the video clips with people coming out of VW Bugs or telephone booths. 

As we were early but well situated, we enjoyed a morning stroll and check out of….

….City Market.  A central outdoor but canopied farmer’s market, the Market was in the process of unloading, setting up and opening.  This central core was ringed by various food emporiums that had a large walkway in front that could have garage doors closed for year round viability.

Click for video

Leading up to the Market proper, a block or so in each direction housed numerous eateries and fun stores from garden shops to antique shops to taverns and more.  The King of Caffeine had dictated our first stop of the day, and since he was buying….

we headed to the outer ring and City Market Coffee.  Not at all a hipster place…

…there’s a good size menu…

…as well as two floors of seating.  We choose an outdoor table which was interestingly situated on a rolling slab of concrete.  It was part of the pre-caffeine challenge to get situated in your chair without falling backward and dumping your coffee.

Joe and I both went with medium cappuccinos and while I enjoyed both the stop and the price, there was an odd taste to both of our drinks.  Not sure if the scent of spices from the various eateries now ramping up for a busy Saturday influenced our taste buds, but there was something just not right. 

We decided at this point as it was nearing 8:00am, to make our way back to our breakfast meet-up spot which was across the street and over the beautiful new tram tracks…Cascone’s Grill.  Our hope was to avoid the Saturday morning rush when the market fills up.  Basically, an Italian Diner serving since 1930, we beat the rush and were joined by a few more early birds.

While I don’t have outside photos to share, this poster and photo, warning you to be aware of your surroundings as pick pockets prey upon the unsuspecting at random, was posted everywhere.  That character looks like he is right out of a scene from the Godfather…frightening! 

We had a seasoned waitress who matched BS with BS and which managed to make the meal a bright spot. 

Some went with biscuits and gravy….

…while I had the breakfast sandwich with savory pork sausage, eggs and cheese on fresh grilled Italian bread.  Superb!  A variant was had by Joe Rogo, which substituted Italian sausage for the savory version.  Save your photo Danny, Joe will share his. 

After this initial stop, it was time to get out and walk around a bit.  The sun was brightly shining, perhaps a harbinger of happy things to come.  As we got back into the inner portion of the Market, a bright light was suddenly upon us marking the arrival of none other than – JRPfeff or Jim as us mortals refer to him. 

Here’s the happy couple just short of the handshake…

…but before THE CORTADO….

We strolled around enjoying the bromance on display and most likely, we were all secretly trying to plot our next moves.  With dozens of options, and two under our belts, there’d be room for one or two more. 

Click for video

The Sausage Guy was busy cooking sausages of several varieties and a flat top full of onions and peppers for the mid-day rush.  The aroma was intoxicating!  

We went into Beignet, which attracted the largest percentage of the group and included most of “we skipped Cascone’s” group but our hearts and stomachs, belonged to Italy. 

Influenced by the Godfather of Pittston, Joe Rogo and I teamed up for a little antipasti from Carollo’s Groceria Italiana.  A small grocery/deli/all things Italian to eat kind of place, we went in and thoroughly scouted out the premises.  After a brief huddle, we separated agreeing to meet back at the register. 

Our haul and set outside for a little dining al fresco included – a Caprese sandwich with added prosciutto on some of the finest Italian bread, seafood salad with cuddle fish, octopus salad, a counter guy recommended hard cheese and some Italian cookies.  It was a feast for us and just a short wave away from the big table outside of Beignet which had an impressive feast going on.  After a few hours at the Market, it was time to move on.

We were stepping out on the Boulevard at Danny Edward’s Boulevard Barbeque

A quick rub of the snout and we were inside just as they opened at 11am.  As I was first in line and spotted pit ham…

…I was all in with a bbq ham sandwich sided by mac ‘n cheese and potato salad.  It was all pretty good but I had lost my appetite a bit when Danny decided to dress down an employee right in front of me and several others.  A kind looking, matronly lady, she stood there as if this had happened before.  Inside, I was thinking that if those eyes or words move in my direction, we’re going to have free entertainment and there will be no bromace involved.  Things lightened up a bit after Buddy took a direct hit and then skillfully calmed the waters…

Here’s the combo platter that I knew would get ordered…

Click for video

And a look into what I am guessing is a gas assist wood smoker…

As Chris and Buddy wanted to make sure we got our exercise, they sent all of us off to park.  The only problem, they sent half of us to one park and half to another.  We felt more secure in our park as sly police officer kept an eye on us from the parking lot of a mattress store across the street.  With No Alcoholic Beverage signs every 18 inches, we must have looked like we’d be pulling out brown bags any minute now.  

We did manage to finally bring both groups together and the food runners set-up a spread of tacos from Bichelmeyer’s and chicken from El Pollo Ray.  There were lots of accompaniments and you could literally design your own taco from scratch.  Good stuff!!! 

While I was sorry to disappoint Officer Friendly as no arrests were made….

The 2nd half of Day 5 is up next…much more to come….
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/05 10:33:44
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 14:49:04 (permalink)
Sfreader
ChiTownDiner

Recommended by the esteemed KC historian Bill Voss, SubTropolis is located in a portion of a previously mined salt cave.  

Actually, a limestone mine. There is similar underground offices or storage across the metro area in both states.

There is underground storage in salt museums in central Kansas, notably Hutchinson, Kansas, which also has the only slat mine museum in North America.

I stand corrected...thanks...was remembering all the white on my car and the roads and typed salt.  
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5822
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 16:25:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/04 16:43:29

"Not-a-Cortado" from wanderingjew
schlotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/04 23:58:32 (permalink)
I also wanted to thank Jeff-Buddy Roadhouse and Chris-CNW for their hard work in putting together such an extensive event.  I had such a fine time exploring your hometown! It was a pleasure to spend time with the usual suspects and meet a few new folks as well. 

I'll add a few of my pics to the mix.

Cedar Cove Cat Sanctuary - Thursday morning

Boulevard Brewery Tour with Jim (JRPfeff) and Bobbi (PieDiva) - Fun!

Saturday Morning - Chris and I parked at Union Station and took the streetcar down to City Market
Union Station was surely a busy place in its day - now repurposed and beautifully maintained.

City Market - Carollo's Italian Deli

Look at those Morels!

schlotz
Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 00:06:53 (permalink)
Saturday Morning - Danny Edward's Boulevard BBQ

Bichelmeyer's

schlotz
Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 00:23:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/05 07:00:05
Saturday afternoon/evening

The Lunch Box - This quirky place resonated with me for some reason...

A couple Giant Tenderloins

Mexican Hot Dog - Tasty!

How can you not love Brown Sugga ???
At the even quirkier junk store next door...

Hayes Hamburgers - anyone for a little pre-dessert snack???

So...you come here often???

Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 07:30:15 (permalink)
I'll echo what everyone else has said.
A big round of applause to Buddy and CNW for organizing our Kansas City spring food tour. I'm amazingly busy at work and there is no light at the end of the tunnel so I'll try to add a few things, considering that I have now officially made my appearance.
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 07:55:38 (permalink)
          Friday 4/21/17

I got a late start this day.  I was busy relaxing in the executive lounge, soaking up freebies like a roll of Bounty, and finishing my ribs from the night before.  Skipping the breakfast stops, I met the group at Arthur Bryant's at 10 AM.  By now, you have all seen the beautiful BBQ plate from Bryant's....

with excellent fries.....

But, this is my favorite.....

I give Bryant's the award for best burnt ends.  Everything on the plate was legendary, but the burnt ends were my favorite.  

Nice tribute to Arthur.....

Skipping over Dixon's Famous Chili  to Jone's BBQ.  Jones' was a fun stop.  A little shack in the middle of a parking lot, with a smoker.........but no bathroom.  Big_G described this place the best, working mans BBQ.  No frills, low prices and a family atmosphere.

As soon as CTD arrived....he took it out....

It took four of us to hold it!  We are talking about a spreadsheet here.

They brought out platters of succulent BBQ.  The atmosphere was great, we just lingered and ate and lingered and ate.

Gregg was lovin the parking lot smoker, who wouldn't?

But, the highlight was when Jill Silve from the Kansas City Star showed up.  I immediately asked her if she knew Bill Voss.....she said WHO?  I give a lot of credit to Jill and her writing skills.  She reported accurately, exactly why a bunch of people, from two countries and a bunch of states were standing in Jones' parking lot. I informed her about my theory of "Regional Appropriateness", I am sure she will now think differently about future food articles.  In fact, she asked if she can quote me in future articles.....who am I to refuse her!

Moving on, the only thing I remember about Kitty's, is a bunch of people scattering into the darkest corners of the neighborhood. (for future reference, never put two non bathroom places back to back)   

After a brief visit to the underworld.....

we were back on the BBQ Trail!  Next stop, Ricky's Pit BBQ, another excellent choice.  Over the top friendly and welcoming, but, more than anything, proud of the food they are putting out.  I give Ricky's the award for best chili, it was amazing.  I also loved the smoked catfish....

and give their Q high marks also, especially the ham.

At this point, I was having a protein overload, that was a lot of Q for one day.  I decided to skip the next pie stop and have an "ice cream combo" back at my hotel. 
post edited by joerogo - 2017/05/05 07:59:09
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9288
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 09:09:23 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Arthur Bryant’s – is a venerable KC institution that attracts huge crowds and so we planned a 10am rendezvous which corresponds to opening. 

For a second there I thought Bryant's had a menu item called "Pigeon Bun"...
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 09:51:35 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
ChiTownDiner
Arthur Bryant’s – is a venerable KC institution that attracts huge crowds and so we planned a 10am rendezvous which corresponds to opening. 

For a second there I thought Bryant's had a menu item called "Pigeon Bun"...

That's on the secret menu....and was quite tasty!  
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6640
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 10:30:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/05 10:34:03
Ya gotta watch out for the bones though.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 11:00:59 (permalink)
Saturday, April 22nd con’t…

We loaded back up for a trip just of the state line by a few hundred feet and into a somewhat desolate on a Saturday industrial area.  Our destination was 9th Street Liquors & Deli, home of The Lunch Box

Arriving first gave us pause as we sat for a moment checking out our surroundings.  This stop would end up being one of the most interesting Roadfood stops ever for me.  The streets were empty with most businesses safely gated for the weekend.  Large truck lots had have fencing and big padlocks.  Our destination was bright red and had liquor signs all over it. 

Social media’s got nothing on Rock Advertising…which seemly conveyed the sentiments of the premises…

As you can see from the picture, The Lunch Box is a tiny place.  Once inside, the picture was complete.  Eight to ten small tables filled the entire store.  The far wall was lined with floor to ceiling coolers displaying every imaginable size of beer.  From quarts to tall boys to sixes and 12-packs, they were all there.  Joe Rogo, Roadfood Sommelier, spent considerable time selecting his precisely chilled wine from the many brightly colored offerings.  I believe he opted for the yellow….or was it the green?!

At the head of the store, an overhead menu was much more extensive than I expected.  We were greeted by a super friendly man who as the visit progressed, became more and more excited about our group.

Directly behind the counter and framing the window to the kitchen the hard stuff, presumably providing some type of inventory control. 

While the majority of the group would head down the BPT Trail, I opted for grilled bologna, grilled onions and cheese on a nice fresh bun.  This sandwich was really good and was served hot and had that fresh taste to it. 

As other samples circulated, my conclusion is that The Lunch Box has strong potential and if they continue to pay attention to the details, this will become a pilgrimage destination.  No sooner had I thought that, the door opened and mom & dad along with two young kids came in with bike helmets on and placed a nice order – yes, there’s a children’s menu in the liquor store! 

The proprietor was out extending his thanks and passing out complimentary fresh cut fries!    Nice job, good food, a fun stop with great upside.  My only regret was not having the appetite to have ordered a full side of the menu. 

Back on the road….

…to legendary LC’s Bar-B-Q. 

The inside is cozy and was fairly well occupied but luckily, most tables were just finishing and soon we all had seats.  Order at the counter, pick-up and start in.  LC’s was the smokiest of all of our BBQ stops as the downdraft in the smoker pushed back smoke into the restaurant every time the doors were opened….and they were opened often.

Click for video

You can see the smoke in this brief video coming out the double doors.  It does lend a pleasant aroma and an air of authenticity. 

I missed the food shots entirely so you’ll have to rely on others…well, all but ChiBears15….

I was really maxing out and decided to sit out the next stop which was another BBQ joint but located in much more upscale strip mall.  Brobeck’s BBQ was one stop I was looking forward to as I love ham and they are known for their smoked ham salad.  But it wasn’t to be as I slept off this stop in the car. 

Awakening form my nap, it seemed the group felt similar as Pigwich was dropped and our back to back burger stops were reduced to one and an extra 90 minutes of nap time was scheduled in.  Sounds good to me.

Ninety minutes later and feeling completely refreshed, we pulled up in front of another 24 hour burger joint.

The inside is slightly larger than Town Topic with a perimeter row of 2-seat tables.  We were all there and the inside was quite full so we discussed getting to go orders.  But the magic really happens inside and since it is a pretty quick turnover kinda place, seats began to open quickly. 

Before you knew it, we were all seated at tables or the counter.  I believe there was one other customer present that was not in the group.  The menu is simple and straightforward.  As I was 2nd seat from the corner at the counter and right next to Boyd, the ordering started with us. 

The order process was a thing of beauty.  As most of the group had never been there before, the order taker who was one guy in a 2-man team started writing down orders and answering questions as he went along.  Every 3-5 orders, he’d drop the tickets off to man #2 who was truly the King of the Flat Top

There were so many variations and requests and with the exception of a one or two “No Onion” orders that ended up with onions, it went unbelievably smooth.  On the way out I congratulated the grill man for a great job. 

I went with a double double which was heavily layered in my requested extra grilled onions.  The burger was great due in part I’m sure, to my returning appetite.  As I was plowing through my Tater Tots, I noticed a relief employee arrive from the back room.  He washed up and then proceeded to a glass display case and pulled out an enormous slice of lemon meringue pie.  On his way to the back room employee table, he pulled a piece of paper off a magnetic board.

As our order taker swung back through, I asked about the magnetic board.  He indicated they were known for their pies and kept the current inventory on the board.  He said it had been a big pie day and they were at a low point in selections. 

I asked about the removal of the lemon meringue placard and if that meant it was gone.  He replied yes, did you want that last piece?  I replied, not really as lemon meringue and its close cousin Key lime are not really on the true pie lovers chart, but I was interested in the raisin pie.  He said right on, that’s my favorite also, grabbed a slice and then removed the placard.  Nice! 

He came back through in the same order to square up the cash only payments and looking back, we were in and out in 30 minutes.  Very efficient. 

It was about a 30 minute drive to our next stop and as we closed in, we were amazed to see a pretty long line on the outside of…

Betty Rae’s Ice Cream.  Parking was also at a premium and it took a few extra minutes but we soon joined at least 50 other ice cream lovers in line.  There was clear anticipation building as the 30-minute line progressed and as you got near the door, the smell of fresh baked waffle cones filled the air. 

While most of the line was outside, there was enough line inside to properly check out the menu board…

..and the flavor board…

…which was carefully cross checked to the cooler, and then double and triple checked. 

I went for the Smore’s Sundae as I watched previous versions having the marshmallow bruleed right at the counter.  For my 2 flavors – Brown Butter & Toasted Pecans along with Blackberry Crisp.  With a long line outside, the inside was just as busy and table space was at a premium.  I grabbed a window seat with Dale and we slowly enjoyed our ice cream.  While this was not on a New England Creamery level, it was still damn good ice cream and I enjoyed the components that made up my sundae. 

As the night was no longer young and coincidentally, we weren’t either, we headed back to our hotel after exchanging good byes with those that would depart early on Sunday getting a jump on long rides home. 

The Grand Finale is still to come…including the Joe Rogo Gizzard Smackdown!

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/05 11:05:14
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11911
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 11:13:21 (permalink)
Great pictures, guys!!    CTD actually skipped a stop and slept in the car?!  " />  Tsk.  Tsk.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 12:09:27 (permalink)
Boyd - nice photos, good stuff!  I missed the Mexican Dog - how was it? 
schlotz
Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 12:34:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/05 12:57:51
ChiTownDiner

Gregg - It was quite good...the dog was deep fried which crisped up the skin a bit.  I'll always go with a crispy/charred dog if I have a choice.

The toppings - bacon/grilled peppers & onions/jalapenos - made for a tasty couple of bites.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 14:28:13 (permalink)
schlotz
ChiTownDiner

Gregg - It was quite good...the dog was deep fried which crisped up the skin a bit.  I'll always go with a crispy/charred dog if I have a choice.

The toppings - bacon/grilled peppers & onions/jalapenos - made for a tasty couple of bites.

I snuck the last piece of that dog. It was really good.

I was lined up to eat the Grilled Bologna (or as Rogo says "Baloney"), but got distracted by something and don't think I ever did.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/07 06:05:36
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 14:45:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2017/05/05 14:59:03
JRPfeff
schlotz
ChiTownDiner

I snuck the last piece of that dog. It was really good.

I was lined up to eat the Grilled Bologna (or as Rogo says "Baloney"), but got distracted by something and don't think I ever did.

You were too busy showing off your Chicago Beef Stance!

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9288
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 14:52:47 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I was lined up to eat the Grilled Bologna (or as Rogo says "Baloney")

Joe believes in strictly using the authentic Italian pronunciation.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 14:55:23 (permalink)
My pix.

Gregg missed this. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hayes' finest moment.

LC's ribs.

Not Schlitz Beer. Or Schlotz either.

schlotz - Nice pictures and report. You should post once in a while.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 15:00:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2017/05/05 17:24:48
WJ's pic.

He may be the only one to photograph Ricky's chili.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 15:01:09 (permalink)
Is it like a Honus Wagner card? 
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 15:15:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2017/05/05 17:25:42
ChiTownDiner

I know a guy with three of them!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 16:11:14 (permalink)
joerogo
ChiTownDiner

Make it you, me and him and I'll buy dinner! 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 16:18:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/05 16:41:07
Sunday, April 23rd

Gary, Danny and I were up early and got our cars loaded up and then we all checked out of our hotel rooms.  We had read the post regarding Niecie’s for breakfast citing reliable Roadfooders TTM and bb as a favorite. 

So after our last bit of free coffee, we were off.  Dale was meeting us there so it would be a table of 4 as most of the others had either departed or were planning on the big finish at 11:00am. 

We arrived at our breakfast destination Niecie’s Restaurant a bit before our planned 7:30am rendezvous and paused for a few photos.

It’s a good sized building…

…and I knew that a bit later, it would really fill up with the after church crowd.  The menu has so many really good options, and I was in fine form this morning, so I went large! 

After a strong consultation with our waitress, here’s my breakfast order and it’s a thing of beauty!  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and there were NO weak links here! 

I wanted an omelet and I wanted Country Ham.  As the ham and cheese omelet comes with deli ham, we negotiated a quick switch and without hesitation, our waitress said keep on looking boys, I’ll go have a Country Ham slice pulled out and “washed off” and chopped.  Be right back. 

Upon her return, she indicated we were all set.  Next question – potatoes?  I like hash browns but before the words had left my lips, she gently nodded no to me.  I said…and what would you choose?  You’ll have home fries with the grilled onions and I replied, yes ma’am!

The omelet was stuffed with an entire order of ham and it was superb.  This was in your face Country Ham.  Salty (even after the bath), smoky, thick chunks, it went perfectly with the cheddar.  Great omelet.  And the potatoes, more of the same! 

Next mini problem.  I also wanted the legendary biscuits and gravy but was afraid a full order might be too much.  She suggested a half order which I didn’t see on the menu and we were all set.  Luxurious with huge hunks of savory sausage on a super soft biscuit!   Fantastic! 

Her final question was regarding toast.  My reply was that I think I’ve got enough so we’ll skip the toast.  She countered with, how ‘bout I bring you my favorite grilled biscuit and apple butter”?  I was thoroughly entranced and along for the ride now.  She could have told me to go back in the kitchen and do the dishes and I would have said yes ma’am!  This was another unexpected treat and fully completed a highlight reel breakfast…one of the best meals of the trip. 

There was also a sizable side dish of healthy stuff pictured here ordered mainly to satisfy our West Coast fan club….

Early in the Niecie’s Experience, we realized that we had the awesome pleasure of being served by one of the most famous servers around, the legendary Miss Myra.  She has been a fixture at Niecie’s for over 30 years and everyone is treated with unbelievable charm, grace and kindness.  She took excellent care of our table! 

It was also pretty cool seeing the regulars begin to arrive in their Sunday finest, nodding to each other and grabbing favorite tables.  One woman who had come in with a walker and was dressed to the nines, was seated a few tables away.  She caught me rocking in the seat to the Motown on the speakers.  She smiled sweetly, complimented my chair moves (didn’t really know I had any) and said she’d pay to see me dance on the table…thank goodness Miss Myra arrived at that exact moment with the first tray of food!  Whew!!!!!

As much as we hated to leave, it was time to depart for our 9:00am meet-up at the Broadway Café.  Here we were joined by Joe Rogo and longtime Roadfood poster Karen Gearyzataar for a round of coffee beverages.  We had enjoyable one hour plus discussion and I was so into the discussion, I left the picture taking to Danny.  I was a bit dismayed as both before and after our arrival at Broadway Café, drivers were making U-turns all over the place with complete disregard for the safety of pedestrians and other vehicles.  Lawlessness had come to KC! 

It’s the final day and while we’re turning final, the big finish is yet to come.

One more look at Heaven Here on Earth….

The 2nd half of the Grand Finale is still to come….featuring the Joe Rogo Gizzard Smackdown! 

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/05/05 16:22:56
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/05 17:25:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/05/06 09:16:08
joerogo
ChiTownDiner

Joe knows a guy. 😆
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5