Helpful ReplyHot!April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 7 of 9
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22594
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/08 17:52:17 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Watch it Michael, I know for a fact that Lisa has "knife skills."

There is that.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/10 19:22:37 (permalink)
Need to do a little catching up here.  I was busy doing Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce demos last weekend, then needed a couple of days to catch up on missed work, so had to neglect my duties here on the trip report.  Just a few random thoughts:

A big shout out to Ralph & Lori (icecreamchick) Melton.  They were the perfect suite-mates in our shared apartment.  They also provided great and constant companionship as we made our way through the Crawl.  Their "game attitude" and willingness to let us guide them, enjoying KC through our experiences, was quite rewarding for us.  I hope they were equally gratified.

Thanks also to Pie Diva for her fine addition to an excellent stop at Jones BBQ.  Two small pieces of Almond Butter Chess Pie made it back to Chicago and into the grateful hands of abe_froeman and Mr. Maki.  Thanks also for keeping me awake while I was behind the wheel, and giving me a much needed sleep break, on the trip back home.

JRPfeff: Lovely photos!  Got any more?  We'd love to see them.

joerogo: I'm not sure who's more obsessed with the size of ChiTownDiner's Spreadhseet, you or him.  I will say this, that giant Spreadsheet sure makes CTD's hands look tiny.

Sfreader
Regionally appropriate dining is not applicable to BBQ places in Kansas City. Part of the Kansas City distinction is that it isn't limited to one type of dish or preparation like some of the regional BBQs. There are some things that are more common in KC, (like burnt ends or pit smoking) but all types of BBQ are Kansas City region appropriate.

This is so true!  KC is at a nexus point in the BBQ trail.  The thing that makes it distinct is the fact that it takes its cues ('ques?) from all the other BBQ regions. Texas, Oklahoma, The Carolinas, Memphis and others all feed into KC Style 'Que.  So, Davidsanders, no need for any regrets.  Regardless of any accusations by wanderingjew, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

ChiTownDiner
...sensing a pie uprising not seen in these parts since buffetbuster was shorted a slice of SCR in the spring of '40 (the best pie in the galaxy Monsieur Buddy)...lemon meringue and its close cousin Key lime are not really on the true pie lovers chart...

Sounds like a Pie Smackdown is in order.  Maybe Pie Diva can include Sour Cream Raisin, Key Lime, and Lemon Meringue in this year's Pie/Smoke Day selection.  PD, you make the pies, I'll bring the ballots!

ChiTownDiner
I had lost my appetite a bit when Danny decided to dress down an employee right in front of me and several others.  A kind looking, matronly lady, she stood there as if this had happened before.  Inside, I was thinking that if those eyes or words move in my direction, we’re going to have free entertainment and there will be no bromace involved.

A quick note to the casual reader: To be clear, the "Danny" referred to above is Danny Edwards, not the adorable, yet conspicuously absent, ChiBears15.

schlotz

Lovely shot of two Roadfood lovebirds mating over a loaded Tamale:

JRPfeff
Gregg missed this. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

CTD sleeping in the car while there was Ham Salad to be eaten?  That's what happens after you've eaten three breakfasts.  Although I am glad he had a positive experience at Niecie's.  Makes me think we need to give them another chance.  Our only Niecie's experience was at a now closed suburban location, and we ordered Lunch/Dinner type meals.  Maybe we need to focus on their Breakfast menu for better success.

Hey zataar, what's the deal?  You hang out with a near complete stranger (and they don't get any stranger than CTD) and you skip me?  I thought we had a bond after I met your daughter in Minneapolis.  Oh well.  I'm glad you had a chance to meet up with at least part of our Crawl Crew while we were in town.

joerogo
This near perfect day was not without controversy though.  As you know, CTD puts together a mean spreadsheet, but, Buddy also has a well thought out itinerary.  So there I was, minding my own business, reading Buddy's itinerary....when all of a sudden CTD asks what I'm doing!!!  I gave him the itinerary.....he became very animated.

That's "animated"?  Looks pretty stiff from here.  But what can you expect from a guy who sleeps in the car when there is Ham Salad to be eaten?

joerogo: Livers and Gizzards are a tough sell even when they're Stroud's.  Glad you got the half order.  I knew what to expect because a now late uncle of Mrs. Roadhouse got the same thing a few years back.  I was astounded by the size of the order.  If Uncle Jim Danaher was still alive he would've arm wrestled you for that plate.

mlm: CTD and I have running a battle/joke over our state's capitol.  He hates it, I love it.  Despite being overrun with corrupt politicians from both sides of the aisle, and suffering from areas of urban blight, Springfield, IL is a wonderful town.  It is full of good Roadfood, and an abundance of non-eating activities.  It will be a Crawl city someday, and I will show it off in all its glory.  With or without ChiTownDiner.

I don't want to give away too many secrets, but let's just say a certain HowlingBarnyardFowl is doing some reconnaissance work in the general Central Illinois area in anticipation of that "someday" Crawl...

Michael Hoffman: You know darned well I love the burgers at Gahanna Grill.  Except for the Beanie Burgers, which I urge everyone, except the Cole Slaw obsessed, to avoid.

Okay, that about covers it.  More actual Trip Report coming soon.  Speaking of which, where are all the ChiBears15 posts?  I know he took lots of pictures on this trip:
ChiTownDiner

Who's been deleting all of ChiBears15's posts?

Thanks to all who have contributed so far to this report.  More from me later.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/05/10 19:29:04
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5023
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/10 19:40:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/12 07:58:26
Buddy,

I caught this candid pic of ChiBears15 hard at work. Give the young man a break. He's busy logistic-ing worldwide commerce.

jrp

p.s. That "Catch-up" post was well worth the wait.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/10 19:45:52
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/10 23:35:00 (permalink)
Thanks man.  Seriously, that's a really nice shot of you and Bobbi.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 04:57:20 (permalink)
Buddy,

It almost looks as if we like each other.

Jim
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 337
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 07:31:43 (permalink)
Jim,

Hilarious pic!  I only heard about us having our logo on top of our building, but never actually saw any proof.  Thanks for being the "eye in the sky" that confirmed it for me.

Danny

P.S.  Please stop texting those pics from the North Avenue Grill...  The crawl isn't until October and I am already getting hungry!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 08:07:17 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Sfreader
Regionally appropriate dining is not applicable to BBQ places in Kansas City. Part of the Kansas City distinction is that it isn't limited to one type of dish or preparation like some of the regional BBQs. There are some things that are more common in KC, (like burnt ends or pit smoking) but all types of BBQ are Kansas City region appropriate.

This is so true!  KC is at a nexus point in the BBQ trail.  The thing that makes it distinct is the fact that it takes its cues ('ques?) from all the other BBQ regions. Texas, Oklahoma, The Carolinas, Memphis and others all feed into KC Style 'Que.  So, Davidsanders, no need for any regrets.  Regardless of any accusations by wanderingjew, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Not only are burnt ends unique to Kansas City but so are the fresh cut fries as a side choice.
One has to take into account that accompanied sides is a significant indicator of regional BBQ. Of course there are some who will go to Nashville and get Texas BBQ because they categorically lump all BBQ   into "the South" without realizing that there are various regional idiosyncracies not only throughout the south but in the Midwest  as well (Kansas City and St Louis) and even Texas (which I have a hard time placing regionally since it's so big.
Of course that same person could go to a Mexican Restaurant in Denver and assume fajitas will be on the menu or perhaps going to Seattle and ordering British Style fish and chips vs Northwest Style Fish and Chips

Throughout the years, I've learned from the Sterns that boiled potatoes and mustard style slaw is unique to Eastern NC BBQ.
Memphis pulled pork sandwiches include creamy slaw on the bun, sided by bbq spaghetti. Brunswick stew is almost always included with bbq in Georgia and Virginia and who can forget rice and hash in South Carolina and Burgoo in Kentucky. Pinto or Charro beans in Texas  instead of bbq beans too.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/05/11 08:15:24
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 08:59:55 (permalink)
Danny - Is that a fastfood chain restaurant near your building? Looks awfully tempting.
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 337
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 09:28:23 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Danny - Is that a fastfood chain restaurant near your building? Looks awfully tempting.

You are right, Jim!  Taco Bell.  Tempting indeed LOL 

Life is full of difficult decisions because Subway and McDonald's are nearby as well...
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5389
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 12:13:09 (permalink)
To WJ, what is the difference between British style and Seattle style fish & chips?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8007
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 12:19:01 (permalink)
ChiBears15

Life is full of difficult decisions because Subway and McDonald's are nearby as well...

Put some Big Mac Secret Sauce on a Subway sandwich and then wrap it in a Taco Bell burrito.  Problem solved.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5100
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 12:48:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/12 22:30:04
Forgot about this one!  I was one of two RFer's in town on Monday morning, so, I went to Niecie's for breakfast.  The other guy was wandering around somewhere.

I ordered the country cured ham breakfast and Miss Myra looked at me and said, "you sure about that?".  She said that the ham is very salty, strong stuff.  I told her I think I can handle it, and to add hot peppers to my home fries please(She realized I was from tough stock). 

My breakfast was excellent!  I didn't think the ham was salty at all, but, I think she was referring to the stank of the meat from the aging process.  Especially the fat, as it ages it reeks.....in a good way. I thought the ham was excellent, but, not for the faint of heart.  As Miss Myra said, tough stuff! 

As if this breakfast wasn't big enough!!!!  The carrot put it over the top!  
post edited by joerogo - 2017/05/11 13:20:43
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 13:06:12 (permalink)
Joe,

She could have hard-sold it to you as prosciutto.

Jim
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5100
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 13:29:57 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Joe,

She could have hard-sold it to you as prosciutto.

Jim

Same kind of stank! 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 14:24:39 (permalink)
joerogo

As if this breakfast wasn't big enough!!!!  The carrot put it over the top!  

Now you can tell your mama you ate your vegetables.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 14:49:39 (permalink)
ChiBears15
JRPfeff

You also have a Portillo's nearby.  Not my personal favorite, but certainly respectable versions of the CSD and Italian Beef.  Also, have you traveled the short distance north on Rt. 83 to E.J. Pierogi Polish Bistro?  Definitely not as good as your mother's cooking, but a helluva better option than those corporate fast food joints.

Just lookin' out for your Roadfood well being.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/05/11 14:54:22
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/11 19:45:58 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
JRPfeff: Lovely photos!  Got any more?  We'd love to see them.

Okay, that about covers it.  More actual Trip Report coming soon.  Speaking of which, where are all the ChiBears15 posts?  I know he took lots of pictures on this trip:
ChiTownDiner

Who's been deleting all of ChiBears15's posts?

Thanks to all who have contributed so far to this report.  More from me later.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse,

I will post all the pictures that I Twittered of the crawl, that should clear the way for the Grand Finale by ShyPoster15.

#HASHTAG ALERT!

During the KC Crawl, I tweeted photos from most of our stops either while there or immediately afterwards. All Tweets included the tag #MustTryRoadfood (one included the tag #MustTryRoaffood). I could never remember that stupid hashtag and was constantly asking Bobbi and Danny what it was.

Day 1: Thursday

I was in transit on Thursday and did not arrive at our hotel until 11:00 that night. Fortunately, my devoted Roadfood friends and fans left burnt offerings in my honor. This feast from Slaps BBQ was waiting when I got there. I loved that spicy sausage. That is PieDiva's photo. I thinks even more food was stuffed in that box when I got there. Many thanks to my devoted followers.

There was also some leftover pie from Ashleigh's Bakeshop, the slice in back and Sour Cream Raisin. I bought the S'Mores slice the next day.

There was also a huge package of Tennessee bacon from Big_G in the fridge. Thanks Gary, we still haven't had a chance to cook it and I am really looking forward to eating it.

That's it for Day 1.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/12 19:55:52
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 08:02:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Big_g 2017/05/13 21:41:05
The Vegas over/under on ShyPoster15 is zero....
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 17:52:52 (permalink)
Day 2: Friday First Stop

Eager to get started, we arrived at You Say Tomato thirty minutes early. One of our hosts, CNW, was also early which gave Bobbi and I a nice opportunity to chat with Chris. Once inside, Bobbi ordered a hot chocolate, I thinks that's a venti.

While awaiting our orders, Roadfooders did what Roadfooders gotta do.

Pie Diva and I shared a cinnamon roll and a breakfast casserole (or something). 

Being my first stop of the crawl I was not pacing myself yet. After finishing more than my share of the two breakfast choices, I dove into the Bierocks that Chris had ordered. I didn't know what to expect, but I loved these things. Especially with the spicy, grainy mustard they were served with.

There is more to the story of this photo from YST than CTD has revealed.
ChiTownDiner

Our group of 3 or 4 tables was pretty pumped and it got quite loud inside.  Nobody seemed to mind and the other tables (mostly regulars) matched intensity.  Here’s a photo of Jim seemly pretty excited after just finding out Dale’s plane lands at 9pm and not 9am!

In my hand is a muffin.  A muffin that the ChiTownDiner was unable to consume.  Free food that was beyond CTD's capability to finish put that smile on my face. The muffin ended up as my breakfast on Sunday morning.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/12 19:57:05
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 18:20:58 (permalink)
Day 2: Friday Second Stop

We arrived at the legendary Arthur Bryant's before their scheduled opening. The counters were empty and most of us did not understand how unusual that was.

While the rest of us were trying to get our bearings, BuddyRoadhouse took the bull by the horns and the pig by the squeal and ordered several platters of glorious barbecue for the group.

The food and the portions were perfect. As we were eating, bus after bus of band students were delivered and formed enormous lines. Jeff and Chris played Arthur Bryant's perfectly - in and out with no waiting.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/12 18:22:31
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 19:08:16 (permalink)
Day 2: Friday Third Stop

Dixon's Chili suffered by comparison to all the world class barbecue we were being fed. If I lived in KC, I think Dixon's would be a nice place to stop when I was looking for something different. But on a barbecue crawl it was a dining outlier.

Dixon's certainly offered an inviting array of condiments.

The chili came out looking like ground beef.

Put it all together and you get this.

The chili (ground beef, really) did not have a lot of seasoning to it. It is up to the diner to load it up to their own specifications.

Gotta go. I need more barbecue.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/12 19:22:43
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 19:39:15 (permalink)
Day 2: Friday Fourth Stop

Sausage, ribs, briskets, and butts... Jones BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas (Free State) offers the best of everything.

I think I liked the burnt ends at Jones best.

This was also the stop where we decided to serve Pie Diva's pies. It turned out to be a good call and they were enjoyed by all who got a piece.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/12 19:40:56
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 19:49:00 (permalink)
Full credit goes to CNW for the Arthur Bryant's scheduling strategy.  AB's wasn't even on my original list.  I had multiple concerns over making them part of the Crawl.   More than one reputable Roadfooder, including myself, has found Bryant's to be unreliable in recent years in regard to quality.

After a series of outstanding meals, we got stuck with a real clinker several years ago and stopped going for awhile.  Our return trip, several years later, was better but nothing to make us want to go back in a hurry.  I was also worried about the possibility of a big crowd making it tough for our group to order and stay together.

Chris insisted AB's iconic status in KC BBQ history meant they needed to be included on the itinerary.  He said anyone coming to KC for the first time would be disappointed if AB's wasn't on the tour.  After a fair amount of discussion and compromise, I gave in, especially after his early arrival plan finally sunk into my feeble brain.

As it turned out, none of my concerns came to pass.  We arrived to a completely empty sidewalk in front of AB's, something I've never seen in any of my visits.  Ordering was a breeze.  I actually managed to make the very first order of the day, an accomplishment I may have etched on my tombstone.  With a totally empty store, we managed to get a single table for our group which made it very easy to pass around trays of food.  And most important, the kitchen was firing on all cylinders that day!  The food was outstanding across the board; meats, sides, the whole shebang!

A tip of the hat to CNW for his persistence.  Reading these posts and looking at the gorgeous food photos, I get the impression no one was disappointed in our visit, and it turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 19:51:58 (permalink)
Day 2: Friday Fifth Stop

We made just a brief stop at Kitty's Cafe, because when you gotta go, you gotta go; and there were no public facilities available there.

Kitty's offers a really good breaded pork tenderloin, I think Schlotz treated us to these. CNW told us that they use a tempura batter on the pork which works exceptionally well.

Next stop was our break from food and supposed to be the WWI Museum. But Boyd offered a much more refreshing choice.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 20:16:39 (permalink)
Day 2: Friday Food Respite

Schlotz offered his one spare brewery tour ticket to Bobbi & me. The kind folks at Boulevard Brewing allowed us both in with the one ticket. We've done many brewery tours and this was one of the best. I was unaware of the brewery's size and the huge variety of both ales and lagers (ciders, too!) that Boulevard produces.

We were rewarded with samples following the tour from a wide variety of offerings.

Before leaving I purchased three bottles (2 Belgians and an Imperial Stout) to cellar when I got home.

We had ample time before dinner, so we made a stop at Ashleigh's Bakeshop for some cooking implements and MORE PIE.

This S'mores Pie was good, but I prefer the one seen below.

Oh! If you hadn't heard, Pie Day is May 28 in Pewaukee. See you there.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/12 20:18:42
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 20:43:53 (permalink)
Day 2: Sixth Stop

Ricky's was another barbecue stop where they seemed excited to have the Roadfood Family visit them. Like Jone's, Ricky's was located in Kansas and is minority owned. I don't know if either of those attributes was a factor in the welcomes we received.

We came for barbecue, but left loving the chili we were served (photo by wanderingjew).

Someone find that recipe!

The barbecue was great of course, we were in Kansas City after all.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 20:51:52 (permalink)
Day 2: Seventh (Final) Stop

The Upper Crust is another fine pie shop. It is located in a bustling, pedestrian friendly area of Overland Park.

It took some doing (including driving like a bat out of Canada), but Bobbi and I arrived first. The 3-slice Pie Flight was an easy choice. I can't remember what they are anymore. I went crazy for the pecan-y one on the right.

Happy now Buddy? You'll have to wait until tomorrow for the rest of my restaurant posts.

Caio for now.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 20:58:56 (permalink)
Delighted beyond words.  These shots, along with all the others, bring back some great memories of a spectacular weekend.  Looking forward to Day 3.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/12 21:14:32 (permalink)
Everywhere you look there's a happy Roadfoofer.

Broebeck's.

Betty Rae's

The Follically Gifted Brigade at AB's.

A not-so-gifted bunch at Hayes.

CLT, Concourse B

LC's

ShyBear15 at Taco Bell

Chocolateria San Gines

We call them FIB's for a reason.

Danny's Boulevard BBQ

LC's

FIB Wannabee.

Jones

We see you Jen & John from 34,000 feet (that's 5667 Fathoms in Canadian).

You Say Tomato

Dixon's

The Guggenheim, Bilbao

post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/13 08:12:12
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/05/13 11:03:10 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
ChiTownDiner
...sensing a pie uprising not seen in these parts since buffetbuster was shorted a slice of SCR in the spring of '40 (the best pie in the galaxy Monsieur Buddy)...lemon meringue and its close cousin Key lime are not really on the true pie lovers chart...

Sounds like a Pie Smackdown is in order.  Maybe Pie Diva can include Sour Cream Raisin, Key Lime, and Lemon Meringue in this year's Pie/Smoke Day selection.  PD, you make the pies, I'll bring the ballots!

I ran this by Pie Diva. You will eat the pies that she decides to serve, or you will go elsewhere for your pies. Don't expect anything as common as SCR, KL or LM in the Parade of Pies this year. She is limiting the number of pies and will be offering some other desserts as a compliment to them.
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 7 of 9
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5