Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 647
2017/04/28 19:16:45 (permalink)

April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl

Tuesday, April 18th

Having been to Kansas City with the Chicago Symphony for two days in 2015, when I saw the discussions begin about the next Roadfood Crawl possibly being in KC, I was intrigued. I had never been on one of the Roadfood group outings, and thought this might be the one to try. I have to say I was nervous about it for months and months, wondering if I would fit in, wondering if I would, in my older years, remember people’s names and/or faces. At any rate, I decided I would try it. I’m so glad I did!

I left Tuesday morning at 5:45 for St. Louis, armed with ideas I had gotten from posts by Jeff Sanders (Buddy Roadhouse) and Cliff Strutz (Buffetbuster). I wanted to get to Bogart’s in St. Louis before the lunch rush, and was going to drive straight there, skipping breakfast. I had also been given the infamous Spreadsheet by Gregg Pill (ChiTownDiner), and I saw that he was planning five stops in Springfield. I decided to try the donut shop.

(By the way, if in this report I get any of the other Roadfooder’s meals wrong, or anything wrong, please don’t hesitate to correct me.)

Mel – O – Cream Donuts, celebrating 80 years.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t thrilled with these donuts, and ate about a quarter of each. I’m not exactly sure what the problem was, maybe they just didn’t taste fresh enough?

I liked the chocolate one a bit better, but I would say that they weren’t worth the calories.

Mel-O-Cream Donuts
2010 S. 6th St.
Springfield, Illinois
http://www.mel-o-cream.com 

I started again for St. Louis, but stopped to get a picture of the beautiful capitol in Springfield. No comment about what’s been going on inside the capitol.

I had read about and heard about Bogart’s for years, and wanted to try it. I was glad there was no line.

The overhead menu board.

The interior of the restaurant.

The sauces. While I normally don’t like fancy barbecue sauces, I actually liked the Pineapple Express the best of the four.

I was disappointed to find that the only way to get a combo including ribs was to get a half slab, and add a 1/4 pound of another meat. I chose the burnt ends, plus sides of pit baked beans and deviled egg potato salad.

Close-up of the ribs.

Close-up of the burnt ends.

Nice bark on the ribs.

Close-up of the pit baked beans.

Close-up of the deviled egg potato salad. It had some nice chunks of egg.

All in all, while I thought everything was good, I didn’t find it out of the ordinary. I think I enjoyed the sides, especially the potato salad, the most.

Bogart’s Smokehouse
1627 S. 9th Street
St. Louis, MO
(314) 621-3107
http://bogartssmokehouse.com

My next stop was Park Avenue Coffee, for the St. Louis specialty gooey butter cake. I went to the original location (I believe) in Lafayette Square. The square itself was an interesting little area.

A couple of streets lined with some interesting shops and restaurants, including this one. 

I wonder what they serve here!

There was a nice very small area to eat outside, which was taken, but by the time I got my order, both tables were free.

There are dozens of flavors, but I decided to go with a traditional and a triple chocolate. While the chocolate was room temperature, the traditional was given to me straight from the refrigerator, and was cold. It had a completely different texture than the chocolate, and I didn’t enjoy it as much. I decided to eat about half, and see what would happen when the traditional got to room temperature.

The traditional.

The chocolate.

Close-up of the traditional. 

Close-up of the chocolate. I liked the very smooth chocolaty flavor. I enjoyed trying these, but they are very, very sweet, and a bit overpowering for my taste.

Park Avenue Coffee
Lafayette Square
1919 Park Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63104
(314) 621-4020
https://parkavenuecoffee.com

I checked into my hotel, which was in downtown St. Louis and did a bit of sightseeing. I stopped a few blocks away and took this picture of the Gateway Arch. A very impressive sight!

In the Gateway Arch Park. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the ride to the top of the Arch was closed for restoration.

On the way to the Mississippi waterfront.

After walking around the Arch, I headed to the Missouri Botanical Garden. This is a stunning garden. I loved walking around here.

An incredible glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly in the entryway.

After the Garden, it was time for another snack. I tried to go to Bissinger’s Chocolates, but found only the warehouse. After getting in and finding the chocolate “store”, all I found were chocolate bars and packages, with nobody showing up to wait on me. So my next stop was Crown Candy Kitchen. I was there for the malts, even though I had seen Gregg’s picture of the incredible BLT with one pound of bacon. I just couldn’t do it!

I really liked this chocolate malt. It was thick, rich and creamy.

Crown Candy Kitchen
1401 St. Louis Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63106
(314) 621-9650
http://crowncandykitchen.net

My plan for dinner was Salt + Smoke. Gregg was traveling from Chicago with Danny Nowak (ChiBears15), and his spreadsheet had them going to Salt + Smoke at 4:15, but I couldn’t make it then because of the Botanical Garden. I had thought about skipping it completely and meeting them later, because I hadn’t loved Bogart’s that much, but I got a message from Gregg saying that they had really enjoyed it and really loved the brisket, beans, and mac and cheese. So I changed headed over there at about 6. 

I was lucky that it wasn’t too crowded and was able to sit outside. It was a beautiful night. Here are the four sauces. I liked the Bestie and Mustard the best.

It’s a really good and interesting menu.

I had the Bestie Combo with two meats, pulled pork and fatty brisket. My sides were white cheddar cracker mac and pit beans with smoked bacon. It came with a cheddar popover, which I didn’t love, and I didn’t eat more than a bite or two. I really loved everything else. This was definitely one of the best meals of this trip for me. I used very little sauce, because it really didn’t need anything.

My plate without the popover (partially consumed).

Close-up of the pulled pork.

Close-up of wonderful fatty brisket.

Close-up of the mac and cheese. 

Close-up of the pit beans with smoked bacon.

Salt + Smoke
6525 Delmar Blvd,
St Louis, MO 63130
(314) 727-0200
http://saltandsmokestl.com

From Salt + Smoke I headed to Guido’s, the next Spreadsheet entry, to join Gregg and Danny, and also Gary Gay (Big_g) from Tennessee. I hadn’t met anyone from Roadfood before this time, and it was great to finally meet them. 

Gary, Danny and Gregg, perusing the menus.

We chose a selection of appetizers and dishes to share, which I know is the only way to survive the Roadfood crawl, especially since I had just had dinner! This is the toasted ravioli with meat sauce, a St. Louis specialty. 

Spanish meatballs with onion, garlic and white wine topped with fried potatoes.

Cold cured salmon on crostini.

Pepperoni pizza.

Cannelloni with meat sauce and Béchamel. 

I had small portions of the toasted ravioli…..

The meatballs and potatoes…..

Some salmon…..

And some of the pizza. I really enjoyed all of the choices, and I especially enjoyed sharing them with my new friends!

Guido’s Pizzeria and Tapas
5046 Shaw Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
(314) 771-4900
http://www.guidosstl.com

The next stop was another St. Louis institution, Ted Drewes. I was very happy to try this wonderful frozen custard.

My wonderful oreo and heath bar concrete.

Ted Drewes
6726 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
(314) 481-2652
http://teddrewes.com

The last stop on Gregg’s Spreadsheet for the day was at Fortune Express, a Chinese Restaurant a couple of doors down from Ted Drewes. When I saw this stop on the Spreadsheet I couldn’t understand how or why they were going to go to a Chinese restaurant after everything else that day. It turned out that there was one more St. Louis specialty on the schedule, the St. Paul sandwich. This is an egg foo young patty served with pickles, onions, mayo, lettuce and tomato, between two slices of white bread. Gregg had had these before and didn’t want it again. He wanted Danny to experience it. Danny was a good sport while Gregg, Gary and I looked on. Here are Gregg and Danny entering the restaurant.

The St. Paul sandwich.

Danny was a good sport. He said it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t something that he would order again. 

Fortune Express
6738 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
(314) 351-9988
http://www.fortuneexpresssaintlouis.com

Much, much more to come...........

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/28 19:49:29
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 20:03:45 (permalink)
Told 'ya we don't bite........unless you try to grab food from our plates!  Glad your first experience with crazy Roadfooders was good.  No need to be nervous!  Just bring on your appetite.......and connect with Gregg, Danny, Gary and others.  A guaranteed good time.
Your pictures, as always, are great!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 20:34:01 (permalink)
A lovely start!  David, should we consider this the start of the trip report for the entire group, or do you prefer to reserve this thread only for your pictures and reviews?

Buddy
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 483
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 20:58:37 (permalink)
Good start David!! Can't wait for the rest of it :)

Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 21:02:20 (permalink)
Excellent report, so far. My wife keeps saying we should go to St. Louis for a visit. I agree and keep listing all the places I want to see and eat at, there. I'm surprised no-one from RF ever goes to Fitz's for a Soda or one of their famous floats. That last batch of BBQ you had looked really good. Especially the brisket, and I'm not a huge brisket fan, but I'd eat that! Can't wait to see the rest of your report.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 21:27:14 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
A lovely start!  David, should we consider this the start of the trip report for the entire group, or do you prefer to reserve this thread only for your pictures and reviews?

Buddy

I was hoping to get my whole report up, but I had to go to a concert tonight. I will have it finished tonight after I get home. I'm so used to doing complete reports (obviously, because I've never gone with a group before) that I was hoping to have it alll up and then have people add to it in the middle or the end. But it's part of the learning experience and I'll go with flow.

David
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 22:00:45 (permalink)
I love your reports, David, and I am sure you'd fit in anywhere but being somewhat older myself I can understand why you'd be a little apprehensive beforehand. First couple of food stops seemed a bit 'meh' but your luck picked up, thankfully. I was 'ooh'ing over the botanical gardens. What was that big huge staircase you were taking the river photos from? I couldn't have climbed those. Understanding that I'm a big silver screen movie buff, I was amused by the Bogart's Barbeque. I wonder what Humphrey would have had to say about that? When you said the food wasn't so great, my first thought was "Well, he'll always have Paris'! Forgive me, I'm feeling kind of silly tonight.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8007
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 22:07:46 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
That last batch of BBQ you had looked really good. Especially the brisket, and I'm not a huge brisket fan, but I'd eat that!

Agreed!  (Although I do like brisket to begin with.)
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 22:08:04 (permalink)
I'm wildly impressed by the variety of Roadfood choices in St. Louis. I'd gladly choose any of your stops individually but I don't believe I could even LOOK at doughnuts and BBQ and sweet drinks AND Italian AND Chines-American all in one day under ordinary circumstances although when you're traveling, of course, you have to take advantage of your opportunities. Not forgetting gooey butter cake.. A heroic schedule for sure.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 22:13:00 (permalink)
David,
If you're entire trip report is up tonight (not that I'm necessarily encouraging that), it's almost certain you'll have the top of the thread to yourself, with others adding in afterwards.  Even if it doesn't work out that way, it's always interesting when various posters present their versions simultaneously, in crisscrossing fashion.  Kinda like a Roadfood Rashoman.

Buddy
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 337
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/28 23:07:05 (permalink)
Awesome stuff so far, David.  Your pictures turned out great.

Gregg and I also thought that the donuts from Mel-O-Cream were a total bust. 

I have already begun putting together an Anti-Springfield coalition when it is time to vote for next year's crawl location.  Anything but Springfield and Rhode Island!

Danny

P.S.  I won't touch another St. Paul sandwich ever.  Promise.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 00:22:32 (permalink)
Wednesday, March 19th

I started fairly early for Kansas City, because I wanted to go back to SLAP’s (Squeal Like A Pig), which I had loved in 2015, even though it was scheduled as one of the stops on the Crawl the next day. My plan for Thursday’s visit was not to eat too much, so I would still have room for the steak house Thursday night. I finished off the two half-pieces of gooey butter cake from Park Avenue Coffee for breakfast and headed out, wondering about the eight stops on the Spreadsheet that Gregg and Danny were going to be making before arriving in KC.

It was fairly crowded, but not too bad. It’s a rather small place, with long communal tables. My understanding is that when they first opened in 2014, there were very long lines, because they had limited hours, closing after lunch sometime, and selling out often. I imagine that once they started staying open for dinner, the lines became more manageable. There was a bench outside, so I made my way out there.

The menu board.

The order line.

My combo platter of ribs, burnt ends, baked potato casserole and beans.

Close-up of the meaty ribs.

Close-up of the burnt ends.

Close-up of the baked potato casserole.

Close-up of the beans.

While I liked this meal quite a bit, for some reason I wasn’t as wild about it as I had been the last time. I had in my mind that the burnt ends were like prime tenderloin, but this time I was a bit disappointed with both the ribs and the burnt ends. I loved the potato casserole and thought the beans were good.

SLAP's Barbecue
533 Central Ave.
Kansas City, KS
913-213-3736
http://www.slapsbbqkc.com

After SLAP’s I checked into my hotel, the Westin in downtown Kansas City. I had enjoyed staying there with the CSO in 2015, so I figured, why not! The view from the elevator.

I then headed to the Overland Park (suburb of Kansas City) Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. This is a very nice garden, not nearly the scope of the St. Louis gardens, but enjoyable.

I especially enjoyed the Monet Gardens, which demonstrate the style of Claude Monet and his gardens at Giverny, France.

After the gardens I went for a snack to Andre’s Confiserie Suisse Rivaz Tearoom. It is a lovely little place with lots and lots of chocolates and pastries.

I had five pieces of chocolate, milk chocolate ganache and gianduja. This was excellent chocolate.

I also had an excellent apple puff pastry.

Loaded with apples.

Andre's Rivaz Chocolate
4929 W. 119th St.
Overland Park, KS 66209
(913) 498-3440
https://andreschocolates.com

My original plan for dinner tonight was to go to Joe’s KC Barbecue, which I had missed in 2015 and wanted to try. It was also on the schedule for the Crawl for Thursday, so I decided to join a group with Gregg, Danny, Gary, and I met Chris Whitmore (CNW). We went to Grünauer, a very nice German/Viennese restaurant. 

We started with a couple of appetizers for the table. Jausenbrettl, an assortment of salami, liverwurst, pate, and pickled vegetables. I had some of the salami, pickles and olives and enjoyed it very much.

An assortment of delicious fried mushrooms with tartar sauce.

My small plate of appetizers.

I had the Wienerschnitzel with red cabbage. It was good.

Close-up of my Wienerschnitzel.

Close-up of my red cabbage.

This was Chris’s Hungarian Style Beef Goulash with spätzle (I think that was his dish).

This was Danny’s Paprikahuhn, chicken breast grilled with paprika served over spätzle with creamy paprika sauce and pickled vegetables. He said it was delicious.

This was Gregg’s Jäger Schnitzel Vom Schwein, pork scallopini with a mushroom cream sauce with spinach spätzle.

This was Gary’s Cordon Bleu, breaded port cutlet stuffed with smoked ham and swiss cheese with red cabbage.

Gregg ordered a apple strudel to share. It was very good.

Grünauer
101 West 22nd Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
(816) 283-3234
http://grunauerkc.com

After dinner I went back to my hotel, while the rest of our group was going on to yet another place. I didn’t think I could go anywhere else after my dinner, but Gregg had posted a few pictures of the place and I started feeling bad that I hadn’t gone. So I went out again and went to Town-Topic, a dive of a dinner that is open 24 hours a day.

The place has about 8 or 10 seats at a counter, with a few places to stand. I was lucky to get a seat at the counter by the grill.

The cooks hard at work.

A few burgers with onions on the grill.

A view of the interior.

My chocolate malt.

I really enjoyed this malt. It wasn’t as thick as the one at Crown Candy Kitchen, but had great flavor.

When I saw the cook preparing my hash browns, I was pretty sure he was making about three orders. Then he scooped it all up and put it all on my plate. I told him I hoped he wouldn’t be upset if I didn’t finish them. I didn’t, and he wasn’t.

Close-up of my double cheeseburger. I enjoyed the food and the experience of this place very much.

Town-Topic
2021 Broadway
Kansas City, MO
(816) 842-2298
http://www.towntopic.com

Much, much more to come..........

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/29 00:41:48
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 00:56:55 (permalink)
Thursday, March 20th

Today was the first official day of the Roadfood Crawl, beginning with breakfast at 8 a.m. However, I had seen a place that I wanted to try that opened at 7, so I decided to go. Gregg, Danny and Gary had the same idea, so we all wound up at Meshuggah Bagels. They got there about 15 minutes before me. I think we all had bagels and lox. 

The owner posing with a bagel in front of his menu boards.

Some of the decorations.

My bagel and regular (salty) lox. I always prefer salty lox to Nova.

I really enjoyed this bagel and the lox.

Meshuggah Bagels
1208 W 39th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 330-6016
https://www.meshuggahbagels.com

The first official stop of the Crawl was Happy Gillis.

Order at the counter.

I had my go-to breakfast, a biscuit and bacon. The biscuit was pretty good, the bacon was very good, and the butter and jam were good. I enjoyed it.

Other dishes that were ordered at my table were these: Biscuits and gravy with bacon. 

Smoked salmon on avocado toast with pickled onion, soft egg, corn nuts and toasted sunflower seeds. 

Shrimp and grits.

I'm hoping the owners of these dishes will step forward!

Gregg with his Spreadsheet!

Happy Gillis
549 Gillis Street,
Kansas City, MO 64106
(816) 471-3663
http://happygillis.com

The next official stop on the Crawl was the Cedar Cove Cat Sanctuary, but I decided to go the Negro Baseball Leagues Museum, in the same building as the American Jazz Museum. I found it very interesting. 

An early linotype machine.

After the museum I went to one of the branches of LaMar’s Donuts. 

I liked this donut very much.

LaMar’s Donuts
3395 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 561-7176
http://www.lamars.com

The next stop was Strawberry Hill Povitica Bakery and Outlet Store. Povitica is a handmade European sweet bread covered with different fillings. They had about a dozen samples available, which I definitely took advantage of. Many of the Roadfooders took home loaves, and now that I’m writing my report I wonder why I didn’t. It was very good!

One of the sample flavors.

The loaves available for sale.

Strawberry Hill Povitica
7226 W Frontage Rd
Merriam, KS 66203, 
(800) 634-1002
https://www.povitica.com

The next stop was Jerry’s Café, which was the first of the places that specialize in Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwiches. I had never had one of these sandwiches, but had read about them on Roadfood.com for years. It was nice to finally try one. I forgot to take a picture of the entrance, but this one was online. I also wish I had taken a picture of the very large menu.

This sweet roll was ordered for the table. Although I didn’t have any, it looked very good.

This was our group table.

The BPT sandwich. Our corner of the table split this sandwich five ways.

Really great fresh cut fries.

My portion.

Really good onion rings.

We also split an Italian Steak sandwich five ways.

My portion of the steak sandwich. It was very good. While I liked both the pork tenderloin and the Italian steak sandwiches, I don’t think they are something I would be looking for in a restaurant or on a menu.

Jerry’s Café
Watts Mill Village Shopping Center
1209 W. 103rd St.
Kansas City, MO 64114
(816) 941-4055
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jerrys-cafe-kansas-city

Our next stop was the first of the official dessert spots on the Crawl, Ashleigh’s Bake Shop. There was a lot of anticipation about visiting this shop, open for about 18 months. I don’t think anyone was disappointed! The bake shop is in the back of Pryde’s, a fantastic “Kitchen and Necessities” store, jammed full of dishes, utensils, and all things relating to the kitchen. I wish I had thought to take some pictures of the store.

I’m assuming this stove isn’t actually in use.

There were lots of pies to choose from (although I had been hoping to try a piece of cherry).

I’m sorry I didn’t get a taste of the chocolate cream.

Chris had arranged in advance with Ashleigh to offer us pie flights, three smaller pieces (although they didn’t seem that small) of different pies of our choice for the very low price of $6.50. My choices were triple berry, cherry almond crumble, and key lime. I enjoyed all three, and I had a couple of tastes of the pies of my fellow Roadfooders.

Almost done.

Ashleigh's Bake Shop
115 Westport Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 598-3283
http://www.ashleighsbakeshop.com

Well, how do you follow up a visit to a pie shop? With barbecue, of course. The first official barbecue stop on the Crawl was Slap’s, where I had been the day before.

Part of the months of planning that Jeff Sanders (Buddy Roadhouse) had done was to talk to the barbecue places we were going to, to arrange for our group, best time to arrive, and the possibility of a sampler platter. It worked out great at all of the stops, and at Slap’s, we had a little plate with a sample of their ribs, burnt ends, sausage and three sides, the beans, baked potato casserole, and cheesy corn. I ate the sausage, which I had not tried before, a couple of the burnt ends and most of the sides, but I gave away my rib and most of the burnt ends. At that point we still had Joe’s KC Barbecue and the steakhouse to get to.  

SLAP's Barbecue
533 Central Ave.
Kansas City, KS
913-213-3736
http://www.slapsbbqkc.com

By the time we were finishing up at Slap’s, most everyone was getting really full, so a decision was made to skip Joe’s, and meet up again at Jess and Jim’s, the steakhouse. I don’t think there was any way at all I would have been able to enjoy a steak dinner after having yet another barbecue meal, on top of everything else for this day. My only regret was that because I hadn’t gone to Joe’s the night before as I had originally planned, I was going to have to miss this iconic restaurant. That’s what return trips are for.

I had been reading about Jess & Jim’s for awhile and saw that they were a very highly rated steakhouse, so I was looking forward to it. They will be celebrating their 80th anniversary next year, and have often been rated one of the top steakhouses in the country and the world.

I started with a very good shrimp cocktail. Six jumbo shrimp, with very good sauce. I offered one to Gregg, who was sitting across from me at the long table, and he kindly took one.

I also had a salad, which was quite good and fresh, with a nice vinaigrette dressing.

I think I had just a bite or two of the garlic toast, which was pretty tasty.

Both Gregg and Danny, who was sitting next to me, ordered the five ounce filet, Gregg adding shrimp scampi, but I went with the eight ounce. I should have stuck with the five ounce. Gregg insisted that I have one of his shrimp scampi to make up for the shrimp I had given him. It was also very good.

I think possibly my favorite part of the dinner was this incredible twice baked potato. It was enormous. I enjoyed this dinner very much. It was certainly a highlight of the trip.

Jess & Jim's
517 East 135th St.
Kansas City, MO 64145
(816) 941-9499
http://www.jessandjims.com

Much, much more to come..........
post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/29 01:27:44
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 01:38:22 (permalink)
Friday, April 21st

The official first breakfast stop was at 8:30, so Gregg, Danny, Gary and I all went over to Meshuggah Bagels early for a pre-breakfast. I know the others tried the pastrami lox, but I just went with one of my favorite things, a toasted sesame bagel with butter. 

And when they say butter, they do mean butter! It was great, but it might have been just a bit too much butter (or not).

The first official stop of the day was at You Say Tomato, an intriguing place with lots of interesting selections. 

Since I hadn’t been able to get any cherry or blueberry pie at Ashleigh’s yesterday, when I saw these, I seriously considered pie for breakfast.

Really not wanting to start the day with pie (although, why not?), and remembering that we had a pie shop on the agenda for the day, I went with….. a blueberry lemon poppy seed muffin, which was very good, and crammed with blueberries.

Gregg had the Breakfast Casserole, and there were orders of the breakfast croissant, and many other things (which I’m not remembering). But there had also been an order for a number of bierocks for us to try. I had never had, or even heard of, a bierock before this trip. A bierock is a yeast dough pastry pocket sandwich with a savory filling, originating in Eastern Europe, possibly Russia. It is filled with cooked and seasoned ground beef, shredded cabbage and onions, then oven baked. I did try a little of it, and it wasn’t bad, but not something I need to go out of my way for.

You Say Tomato 
2801 Holmes
Kansas City, MO 64109
 (816) 756-5097
https://yousaytomatokc.wordpress.com

We were running quite a bit ahead of schedule, so I went back to my hotel before the next stop, Arthur Bryant’s. I had been there in 2015 and was certainly looking forward to my return visit. 

I thought I might get there a bit early, but by the time I arrived, the whole group was there, the food had been ordered, and they were having a great time. I didn’t get a chance to take pictures of any of the platters that had come out. But there was certainly plenty of food left for me. The original Arthur Bryant’s sauce is a bit controversial, because it doesn’t taste like most other sauces, but I liked it, this time and the time before.

This was my tray of food. I liked the ribs and the fries, but I really liked the beef, which I hadn’t had before.

Arthur Bryant's
1727 Brooklyn
Kansas City, MO 64127 
(816) 231-1123
https://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com

After Bryant’s, we headed over to Dixon’s Famous Chili for a real change of pace. Vergene Dixon started selling chili out of a street cart in downtown Kansas City in 1919. It was a favorite spot of President Harry Truman, and after Life Magazine published an article about a visit in 1952 by the President and several Secret Service agents, they added “Famous” to the name. 

This is very unusual chili. It begins with a layer of beans, which have been drained, on the bottom of the plate. This is followed by a layer of chili meat which has also been completely drained. If you like, you can make the chili “juicy”, by adding back the natural meat juices. Or, you can make the chili “soupy”, but adding the bean broth. You can then add fixins’ to the chili, which include onions, sour cream, grated cheese, etc., and ketchup, which is 15¢. The restaurant used to have a “no ketchup” rule, and when they discovered after many years that the customers actually wanted ketchup, they imposed a “fine.” That tradition continues to this day. I had a “juicy” chili dog, with cheese and onions. I have to say that I didn’t eat a lot of it. It wasn’t really to my liking that much.

Danny got a regular chili dog, without the cheese and onions, and he also got a tamale. He said it was okay, and offered to let me try it, but I declined.

Dixon's Chili
9105 E US Highway 40
Independence, MO 64055
(816) 861-7308
http://www.dixonschili.com

Our next stop was Jones BBQ, a little stand with a smoker at the edge of a small strip mall with a grocery store and a restaurant, and not much else. There is no indoor seating, just one bench outside the little store. For our group, the Jones sister put up a couple of extra tables for us and a canopy.

The smoker.

I think this is Deborah Jones, manning the smoker, but it might have been her sister Mary.

The combo platters for our group. Ribs and sausage.

Burnt ends and beef.

Very meaty beans.

And very good slaw.

I had a rib, a sausage link, one piece of burnt ends and some beans and slaw. I especially liked the rib, and would have had another if there wasn’t so much more still to come today. I didn’t love the burnt ends, which I found tough.

Jones BBQ
6706 Kaw Dr.
Kansas City, KS 66111
(913) 788-9099
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jones-bbq-kansas-city

As we were finishing up at Jones, a cooler was put out on the table, and two pies emerged. I had heard a rumor floating around that Bobbi Pfefferle (Pie Diva) had brought a couple of pies with her for the group. And here they were! Nutella Hazelnut and Cashew Butter Chess. These were great pies. They were cut into small pieces so they could be shared by all of us. A piece was also given to Ms. Jones, and the reporter who was doing a little feature on our Crawl. Thank you Pie Diva, you really are a diva.

Our next stop was our second Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwich shop, Kitty’s Café. 

Opened in the early 1950s by a Japanese-American who was confined to an internment camp during World War II, the sandwich has a tempura batter, and instead of sticking way out over the bun, it is cut into pieces and stacked high. I had about a one-inch square piece, and thought it was quite good.

Kitty's Cafe
810½ E. 31st St
Kansas City, MO 64109
(816) 753-9711
https://www.yelp.com/biz/kittys-cafe-kansas-city

The next scheduled stop was the World War I Museum, which I had been to in 2015. I decided to skip it and go back to my hotel room for a short nap.

I rejoined the group for the third and last barbecue stop of the day, Ricky’s Pit Bar-B-Que.

This barbecue joint is different than the others because it offers a smoked catfish. I had a little taste of it, and didn’t love it, although I think my fellow Roadfooders did.

The variety platter for our table, with ribs, ham, beef and sausage.

They also had given us a taste of their chili, which was great. I was sitting across from Gary, and he ordered a small cup of it, and was nice enough to share it with me. It was incredibly flavorful, with a great kick to it, and very meaty. It was another of the highlights of the trip.

The fries were probably ordinary, but I enjoyed them quite a bit.

I had a rib, a little beef, some fries and beans. I enjoyed it a lot, especially with the chili.

Ricky's Pit BBQ
3800 Leavenworth Rd.
Kansas City, KS 66104
(913) 371-8088
https://www.yelp.com/biz/...ar-b-que-kansas-city-2

The last stop of the day was another I had been to in 2015, The Upper Crust Pie Bakery. I had enjoyed it then, and I enjoyed it again. 

Something to think about while waiting in line.

On Friday nights that have a pie flight special, three smaller pieces for $8 (I think that was the price). When I got in, I decided I didn’t want three of the choices for the flight, so I was going to order a regular slice of two different pies. It turned out that even though they had full size pies for sale, they didn’t sell slices of all the pies when they offered the flights, just the flight slices. But they did have small pies, so I was “forced” to buy a small blueberry and a small cherry pie. 

Close-up of the small cherry.

Close-up of the small blueberry. I really enjoyed both of these pies. I offered tastes to my fellow Roadfooders, but everyone had been eating flights, so I wound up “having” to eat most of both “small” pies myself. They were both very good.

The Upper Crust Pie Bakery
7943 Santa Fe
Overland Park, KS
(913) 642-2999
https://www.uppercrustpiebakery.com

I had actually thought about going to an extra barbecue restaurant after the Upper Crust (days and days before the Crawl started). I had considered going to Q39, then Jack Stack’s, where I had been in 2015, or Joe’s KC Barbecue. I decided I was just way too full for any of them. This became my bedtime snack.

Much more to come............

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/29 02:06:19
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 02:23:56 (permalink)
Saturday, April 22nd

The first stop of the day today was at 8 a.m., but it was a longer time period than the other stops because it was an open market with lots of different restaurants to try. 

I got there at about 8:15 and met up with a few of the Roadfooders and we walked over to Cascone’s Grill.

I went with my go-to of a biscuit and bacon. When I ordered the biscuit (without the gravy) the waitress asked if I was sure I wanted it, that it wasn’t very good. I went ahead and ordered it. It wasn’t the worst I’ve ever had, but it certainly wasn’t good. It was spongy, as it had been microwaved, and the margarine was an interesting touch.

On the other hand, the bacon was pretty good.

I don’t remember which of the group had the biscuits and gravy, but it looked good.

Cascone's Grill
15 E 5th St
Kansas City, MO 64106
(816) 471-1018
http://www.casconesgrill.com

A view from the restaurant looking down the hill at the coming tram.

My next stop was back to the Market to the restaurant Beignet. 

They have a very large menu.

But I was there for the beignets. I absolutely love the ones I had many, many times in Savannah, at Huey’s on the River. These, I’m sorry to say, weren’t in the same league.

Beignet
307 Main St
Kansas City, MO
(816) 472-0777
http://www.beignetkc.com

There were a number of other restaurants and a wonderful Italian grocery and grill. I was tempted, but didn’t have anything.

There was also a good looking bakery, but I didn’t get anything there, either.

Historic Kansas City Market
20 E 5th St. (5th and Walnut)
Kansas City, MO 64106
(816) 842-1271
http://thecitymarket.org

I had been at the market about an hour or so, and felt that was enough, so I went back to Meshuggah Bagels. I ordered a toasted sesame, with butter on the side this time. It wasn’t as good as when they put the butter on right out of the toaster, but I still liked it a lot.

Next was the first barbecue stop of the day, Danny Edward’s Boulevard BBQ. Danny Edwards’ father opened his first barbecue joint, Jake’s Barbecue during the Great Depression in the 1930s, and moved it to Kansas City in 1938, where he ran it until 1981. Danny opened his first restaurant, Lil’ Jake’s in 1980.

I’ve never seen this kind of sign in any restaurant, certainly any barbecue restaurant.

My pulled pork sandwich with fries. Pulled pork is supposed to be regionally inappropriate in Kansas City, but it still tasted awfully good. And the fries were great.

Close-up of the pulled pork.

Good beans.

This was part of the combo plate that was ordered for a few tables. The rib looked really good, but I was too full to have it.

The smoker in the back.

Danny Edwards Boulevard BBQ
2900 Southwest Blvd
Kansas City, MO
(816) 283-0880
http://dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com

The next stop was two stops that were joined together. About half the group went to Bichelmeyer’s Meats for tacos, and the other half went to El Pollo Rey, just a few blocks away,  to pick up some Mexican grilled chicken, which came with tortillas and sauces to also make into tacos if wanted. We then all met in a park between the two places and had a lovely al fresco lunch (no. 2).

I had a half of a taco and a piece of chicken, and it was all very good.

Bichelmeyer's Meats                                           
704 Cheyenne Ave.                                            
Kansas City, KS 66105                                       
(913) 342-5945                                                  
http://bichelmeyermeatskc.com           

El Pollo Rey
901 Kansas Ave.
Kansas City, KS 66105
(913) 371-4243
https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-pollo-rey-kansas-city

I decided to skip the next stop, The Lunch Box, for another Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwich. Listening to the reports of others, I’m kind of sorry I did, but I was very tired and took a short nap. I met up with the group at the next stop, LC’s Barbecue, a pretty much legendary Kansas City barbecue joint.

The menu board.

Some of our group ordering at the counter.

Dale Fine (Wandering Jew) ordered for our table, and did a great job! A plate of burnt ends.

A plate of ribs. These were among the best ribs I have ever had, and the ones I liked the most by far on this trip. I also enjoyed the sauce.

The hand cut fries were also great.

Another place I’m sorry that I only took one rib. If I have a chance to go back someday, I will get more! Unlike most everyone else, I wasn’t crazy about the burnt ends.

LC's Bar-B-Q
5800 Blue Pkwy
Kansas City, MO 64129
(816) 923-4484
http://www.lcsbarbq.com

We next headed to our last barbecue stop of the day and the Crawl, Brobeck’s Barbecue. In a strip mall, it seemed a bit more “upscale” than many of the others. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I noticed this place across the street and thought that it might make a nice change…. but that thought lasted about a second.

A partial selfie. How fitting.

Jeff poses with our friend.

A platter of sausage, ribs and beef. 

Brobeck’s is known for their ham salad, served with crackers and house made chips. I didn’t try the ham salad, but I really liked the chips.

Sides of good beans and potato salad.

My plate with a rib and some beef. They are also the only barbecue place in Kansas City that serves a mustard sauce, more typical of South Carolina. I liked both of the sauces very much.

I also enjoyed the beans and potato salad.

Brobeck's Barbecue
4615 Indian Creek Pkwy
Overland Park, KS 66207
(913) 901-9700
http://www.brobecksbbq.com

At this point in the trip it was about 5 p.m. and there were still four more places on the schedule, a food truck that specializes in sandwiches, including a smoked pork and slaw, two burger places, and an ice cream parlor. A decision was made to cut out the sandwich truck and one of the burger places. I think it was a good decision.

I took a little break and went over to the Starbucks I had been frequenting, near Meshuggah Bagels. They dress very nicely at Starbucks in Kansas City.

We reconvened at the Hayes Hamburgers at 7:30, so we would have plenty of time to get to the ice cream place, which closed at 10. This place was a lot like Town-Topic, earlier in the week, in the fact that it was very small, with counter seating and just a few booths.

It takes a great talent to be a short order cook at a diner. I was so impressed by the cooks here and at Town-Topic.

I started with a bowl of “straight” chili, which turned out to be no beans. I thought it was okay, certainly not in the same league with Ricky’s. 

I had a double cheeseburger with onion rings. I enjoyed it all very much, and I enjoyed the experience of Hayes.

Close-up of the double cheeseburger. Lots of onions.

Hayes Hamburgers
2502 NE Vivion Rd
Kansas City, MO 64118
(816) 453-5575
https://www.yelp.com/biz/...-and-chili-kansas-city

The last stop of the day was Betty Rae’s Ice Cream. Of all our stops, this on had the longest wait, by far. I would say it was at least 30 minutes or more before all of us had gotten inside. Obviously very popular, this was very good ice cream.

The menu board.

The flavors.

I think I had a taste of peanut butter, but then I went with my non-Graeter’s go-to, cookies and cream and strawberry. I added hot fudge and pecans.

Betty Rae's Ice Cream
7140 Wornall Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64114
(816) 237-1168
http://bettyraes.com

More to come..........

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/29 02:40:20
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 02:58:35 (permalink)
Sunday, April 23rd

The last day of the Crawl had only one official stop on it, Stroud’s. Of course, Gregg, Danny and Gary had several places on the Spreadsheet to get to in advance, and I believe others in the group also went to at least one place before our 11 a.m. meeting time. I went to Meshuggah Bagels for the fourth day in a row. I must have liked it!

I got to Stroud’s a little early and walked around the grounds a bit. It’s beautiful restaurant on a beautiful setting, housed in an expanded 1829 log cabin and farmhouse. 

A possible companion for lunch? They’re also known to have lots of stray cats. This one ducked down underneath the fence just after I was able to get the picture.

Time to get inside!

The inside is just as attractive and interesting as the outside.

The rooms are very inviting.

The menu is quite extensive.

Pondering the menu. I myself had thought about a cheeseburger, but quickly reconsidered. Clockwise: Gregg, Chris, Dale, Joe (Rogo) and Bobbi.

The waitress was kind enough to take this group photo with my camera. Clockwise from left: Danny, Dale, Joe, Bobbi, me, Ralph, Lori, Susan, Jeff, Gregg and Chris. Please forgive any errors!

Joe ordered a half-order (!) of livers and gizzards. He had a hard time getting too many people to share them.

I think there might have been two of us who ordered the salad. I liked it very much.

The dinners are enormous, and many people share. Bobbi and I shared a three-breast dinner. She got the chicken noodle soup, which she let me try. It was excellent.

The sides arrive. All the sides are served family style. The cottage fries were great.

As were the mashed potatoes.

I didn’t try the green beans, but everyone seemed to enjoy them.

The platters of chicken arrive!

There was one chicken fried chicken and one chicken fried steak ordered. I think the consensus was that the chicken fried chicken was better, but not as good as the fried chicken.

This was my plate. I also had a part of our extra chicken breast. The meal was wonderful.

They also serve cinnamon rolls with the dinner. I had a few bites, and it was very good, but I was just too full. Most people take them home with them, along with generally tons of other leftovers.

Stroud's Oak Ridge Manor
5410 NE Oak Ridge Dr
Kansas City, MO 64119
(816) 454-9600
http://www.stroudsnorth.com

After lunch we all said our goodbyes. I went back to my hotel, packed up and started driving home. I had been planning on staying in St. Louis again on the way home, but I decided I would at least try to drive all the way home that night. I did make two stops in St. Louis.

One more oreo and heath bar concrete.

And a few gooey butter cakes to take home for friends.

I was about 45 minutes behind Jeff, and I had texted him saying I was thinking about stopping at Cozy Dog in Springfield. He told me that they were closed on Sundays, so I kept driving. I didn’t take a picture of my Subway sandwich that I had for dinner.

I really enjoyed this new experience, a food Crawl with Roadfooders. The people I met were all extremely warm and welcoming to me, for which I was very grateful. I hope I will be able to meet up with them again on future Crawls.

Here is my summary, such that it is.

My favorites:
Salt + Smoke
Ted Drewes
Guido’s Pizzeria and Tapas
Meshuggah Bagels
Pie Diva Pie
Ricky’s Barbecue
LC’s Barbecue
Stroud’s

Runners up:
LaMar’s Donuts
Ashleigh’s Bake Shop
Jess & Jim’s
Arthur Bryant’s
Upper Crust Pie Bakery
Danny Edward’s Boulevard Barbecue
Brobecks Barbecue
Hayes Hamburgers
Betty Rae’s Ice Cream

Very Good:
Crown Candy (malt)
Slap’s
Andre’s Rivaz Chocolate
Town-Topic Hamburgers
Happy Gillis
Strawberry Hill Povitica
Jerry’s Café
Jones Barbecue
Kitty’s Café
City Market (in general)

Good:
Bogart’s
Park Avenue Coffee (gooey butter cakes)
Grünauer
You Say Tomato
Bichelmeyer Meats tacos
El Pollo Rey chicken

A disappointment:
Mel – O - Cream (donuts)
Dixon’s Chili
Cascone’s (just the biscuit)
Beignet

Thanks for reading!

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/29 12:28:39
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4730
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 08:31:03 (permalink)
What a great report...I'll feel like I was there!  And so timely...can ya hear me ChiBear?  

Enjoyed our time together also David!  Well done! 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10157
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 09:52:46 (permalink)
David

Great report. I was hoping you would have included the Cortado Summit in your report. Although I didn't join everyone till Saturday morning, I did manage to stop at a few places after our final official gathering at Stroud's that I missed including Slap's and Ricky's (and my off the plane meal late Friday night was Town Topic). I'm glad I'm not the only person that preferred Danny Edwards over Slaps however the sleeper we passed up on Saturday due to
Chi Town Whiner's complaints that we were eating too much was simply the best  burger I've had all year (not that Hayes or Town Topic were slouches)

Yes LC's Hamburgers has a new sterile building

but who cares when their burgers make good on the fact that the burger belt our great nation is truly in the midwest.

Not quite as onion heavy as Hayes and as rugged as Town Topic but this burger was not only oozing with juice, but with incredible big beefy flavor as well. a return visit LC's Hamburgers will be in order when we stop in Kansas City for a day and a half of eating and sightseeing next year.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/05/01 21:24:13
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8007
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 11:12:21 (permalink)
Davidsanders
I think there might have been two of us who ordered the salad. I liked it very much.

I'll bet I can guess who the other person was...

Excellent report, David!  And thanks for including the sesame bagels; they're my favorite, too.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 11:19:45 (permalink)
wanderingjew
David

Great report. I was hoping you would have included the Cortado Summit in your report. Although I didn't join everyone till Saturday morning, I did manage to stop at a few places after our final official gathering at Stroud's that I missed including Slap's and Ricky's (and my off the plane meal late Friday night was Town Topic). I'm glad I'm not the only person that preferred Danny Edwards over Slaps however the sleeper we passed up on Saturday due to
Chi Town Whiner's complaints that we were eating too much was simply the best  burger I've had all year (not that Hayes or Town Topic were slouches)

Yes LC's Hamburgers has a new sterile building

but who cares when their burgers make good on the fact that the burger belt our great nation is truly in the midwest.

Not quite as onion heavy as Hayes and as rugged as Town Topic but this burger was not only oozing with juice, but with incredible big beefy flavor as well. a return visit LC's Hamburgers will be in order when we stop in Kansas City for a day and a half of eating and sightseeing next year.

Dale,

I'm hoping that others will add to my report. There was so much going on constantly that I missed the Cortado Summit (and have no idea the significance, since it seemed to stem from something in the past).

By the way, it appears you added pictures to your reply, but they're not showing up. Is there something I need to do?

I am sorry we missed LC's Hamburgers, but the thought of adding another double (I would never get a triple, unless they're the size of Blimpy's in Ann Arbor) was overwhelming on Saturday. Maybe we should have gone to LC's, then Betty Rae's, then met up at Hayes at 1 a.m.! 

David

post edited by Davidsanders - 2017/04/29 12:28:09
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 11:21:47 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Davidsanders

I'll bet I can guess who the other person was...

Excellent report, David!  And thanks for including the sesame bagels; they're my favorite, too.

I don't think ChiSalad15 ordered a salad, although he was at the other end of the table. I think I remember Mrs. Roadhouse ordering one. She has such good taste!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13822
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 11:26:22 (permalink)
David Sanders:  A very good write and very complete and honest opinion.  I enjoyed reading and it took me most of the morning and I am glad that I did.  I wish that I could have joined the groups as I know several of them.
I have spent a lot of time in KC as I started a business there around 1980.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 11:54:38 (permalink)
Excellent report with beautiful pictures!  Thank you! 
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 13:22:20 (permalink)
Just a wonderful report! Thank you.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 719
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 13:37:19 (permalink)
Spectacular David. I miss KC and St Louis...it's been years.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 14:12:49 (permalink)
Very nice coverage of a long weekend spent eating outstanding Roadfood with good friends.  I hope your wonderful pictures and descriptions will spur others to add on, and fill in the blanks for the stops you missed.

As far as I'm concerned, all your fears about keeping up, and fitting in with the group were unfounded.  Even before we hit the road you were slinging one liners on the GroupMe account like you were a seasoned veteran of these outings.  It was a pleasure to spend time with you in KC and I hope we'll see you at the occasional Contingent event here at home.

Sorry you didn't care for Mel-O-Cream Donuts.  They may not be in the same league with some of the current crop of gourmet doughnuts popping up, but we enjoyed them a great deal.  We were especially fond of the old fashioned doughnuts (crusty and cakey) as opposed to the lighter yeast variety.

Despite the protestations of some younger, inexperienced folks (no names mentioned), Springfield is a helluva good eating town.  Great Burgers, wonderful Fried Fish, and distinctive Tavern Style Pizza are just the beginning, not to mention the search for the best Horseshoe sandwich in town.  Add to that a plethora of fascinating Lincoln sites and a beautifully restored example of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, and you've got a well balanced Crawl on your hands.  Maybe not for next year, but soon...

We share your opinion of Bogart's BBQ in St. Louis; good but not extraordinary.  Salt + Smoke looks like a winner we'll need to try next time we drive through town.

Thanks again for an excellent kick off to this thread.  You set a high bar for the rest of us.

Buddy
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 483
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 15:13:56 (permalink)
Great report David, Glad to have been able to share some time and meals with you.  Hope to see you again in the future.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 15:26:21 (permalink)
Big_g
Great report David, Glad to have been able to share some time and meals with you.  Hope to see you again in the future.

Thanks Gary, the pleasure was mine. I've never met a real barbecue competition judge before!

David
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 15:30:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2017/04/29 16:25:41
Excellent report, David!  You did just fine!  I've eaten quite a few meals with several of those who were with you, and they are all very fine people.  You won't find better companions to break bread with.  I'm going to have to explore Springfield, IL and St. Louis, MO since I live so close.  For no good reason I have never done that.

And thanks for giving us a picture of Gregg's infamous spread sheet.  I have been reading about this for at least a decade or more, but I had never seen a picture of it.  Now I know what it looks like!  Glad you all had a good time.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8819
Re: April 2017 St. Louis and Kansas City Roadfood Crawl 2017/04/29 15:36:41 (permalink)
Loved this report...and add a third vote for sesame bagels!!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5