Helpful ReplyHot!Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way...

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 10:50:36 (permalink)
Inquiring minds want to know...
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 10:55:58 (permalink)
The Stand clearly defines Roadfood....really a great stop...and the food looked awesome.  Did you guys bring the dog home?  

1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5610
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 12:44:45 (permalink)
The Arizona Botanical Gardens in Superior are even better.
And just remember, Tucson is always 10 degrees cooler. :)
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12305
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 12:54:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/27 16:49:15
ChiTownDiner
The Stand clearly defines Roadfood....really a great stop...and the food looked awesome.  Did you guys bring the dog home?  

Thanks!  Needless to say, we thought The Stand was a real gem and definitely deserves a Roadfood review.  No pup-napping.  I have a wife to keep me out of trouble now.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9474
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 14:54:38 (permalink)
My parents onced lived in Arizona. Mt wife went to college there. It truly is a magical place!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5423
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 15:14:37 (permalink)
buffetbuster
As you can tell, we loved The Stand.  It has been around for 10 years so far and I hope it stays around for many years longer.

The Stand
3996 N Alma School Road
Scottsdale, AZ
480-519-1108

Even though the address says Scottsdale, they told me it is actually considered part of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.

Well that answers some questions. Due to their Native American Sovereignty I believe they are exempt from those pesky Maricopa County Health Inspectors.

That is some fantastic looking food your were served.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 07:54:21 (permalink)
Sunday June 17, 2018

We almost never eat breakfast in our hotels, but we were informed at check-in that our breakfast would be free at the hotel restaurant.  All we had to do was charge it to the room and they would take care of it.  The restaurant has the weird and wacky name of Weft & Warp Art Bar & Kitchen.  Sure sounds pretentious, but as long as the food is good, we'll deal with it.

Our meal started with a kouign amann pastry. 

Honestly, I had no idea how to pronounce this, but reading in the description that it was a lavender caramelized croissant, that was going to stop me from ordering it.  Served warm, incredibly flaky, the texture was more like a puff pastry.  One of the best things we ate on the trip.  Considering breakfast was free, we should of had a half dozen wrapped up to go, but at $6.00 a pop, we would have felt guilty.  Whipped honey butter came on the side, but we didn't use it, since that would have been gilding the lily.

Mariton's entrée was the porridge,

which included Sonoran wheat berries, red quinoa, date, desert honey and cardamom.  She loved it and this is just about her ideal breakfast.  To drink, coffee and a mimosa.

My order of chilaquiles

was nothing special, though the guacamole on the side tasted fresh.

The service was efficient and personable.  They even brought over some hot sauces for us to try. 

This looked more like some lab experiment than hot sauces, but apparently the executive chef makes his own.  Being able to handle much hotter food than I, Mariton tried all four, declaring them all too hot for me.  I was happy to take her word for it, as we had lots of eating to do on this day and I don't need it to get off to a bad start.  Surprisingly, she said one of the yellow ones was the hottest, because those red ones look especially scary.

We checked out of the hotel and headed towards Tucson.

Our usual routine arriving in Tucson starts with breakfast at Teresa's Mosiac Café, since it is located ideally right off the interstate on the northeast side of town.  But, I also know how crowded they get if you aren't there early enough, so we drove on by.  It was now after 9:00 and I wanted Sonoran hot dogs as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately, El Guero Canelo doesn't open until 10:00, so we will have to kill some time.  Knowing that Los Jarritos

opens early and was nearby, we decided to go there.

I have only been here once before as Cousin Johnny and I enjoyed some world class tamales.  This was a good day to explore more of the menu.  First thing I noticed was this sticker

on the door.  We have seen these on Roadfood restaurants all over the country now.

There were a few customers milling around the small interior,

but as soon as we walked in, we were greeted asked for our order.  I had to tell them we needed to look at the big, three paneled menu board first.  This is the breakfast portion: 

The man on the left asked where we were from and when I said Pittsburgh, we had to take some (good natured) ribbing from the Dallas Cowboy fans.  

There are only two small tables inside, so Mariton sad done at one while I did the ordering.  First up was menudo and again, they offer the choice of red or white.  She wanted the more traditional red,

which here was full of tripe.  Some crusty garlic bread came on the side.  During our meal, we saw at least a half dozen customers come in with big pots.  When I asked what that was all about, we were told that they were getting the pots filled up with menudo for big family meals later in the day.

My breakfast was a machaca and egg burrito. 

At first glance, I thought it may be dry, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  The meat itself was wonderfully moist and the peppers, onion and egg made a flavorful combination.  You can also see that the tortilla itself has been grilled.  This was delicious!

To drink excellent versions of jamaica and horchata.

During our time here, we were the only gringos (and gringa) and they could not have been nicer.  Mariton was keeping up a conversation with a woman named Frances at the other table, who I believe was the owner.  They were discussing the difference between Mexican menudo and what Mariton grew up eating in the Philippines.  Meanwhile, the man who took our order and I we were having an interesting conversation about football.  He told me that the three most popular teams in Tucson were the Cowboys, Steelers and the Raiders.  The last one surprised me, but afterwards I noticed quite a few men around Tucson wearing Raiders hats.  He also told me that the first NFL game he ever saw was Super Bowl X between the Steelers and the Cowboys.  The neighbors invited his family over for a super bowl party and he has been hooked ever since.  Of course, I had to ask him why he chose to follow the losing team in that game and he said there is just something about that star.

As much as we love the green corn tamales

at Los Jarritos, we hesitated picking up a half dozen.  We told them were we doing plenty of driving on this day and probably wouldn't eat them until late at night in our room.  He told us that wasn't a good idea, so we passed and said we will probably be back the next day and pick some up.  And, of course, we never did make it back. 

We really enjoyed our time at Los Jarritos and were made to feel very welcome.

Los Jarritos
4832 S. 12th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-746-0364

Okay, it was now after 10:00.  Time to get some Sonoran dogs!

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/28 07:55:36
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 08:27:26 (permalink)
You burrito is the stuff legends are made of!  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8576
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 08:54:09 (permalink)
buffetbuster
The service was efficient and personable.  They even brought over some hot sauces for us to try. 

Surprisingly, she said one of the yellow ones was the hottest, because those red ones look especially scary.

People who try to judge sauce heat by the color eventually get a very unexpected surprise...

buffetbuster 
There are only two small tables inside, so Mariton sad done at one while I did the ordering.

The mimosa had worn off by then?

I'll have to check this report again in about 6 months, as I fully expect Mrs. Chicken to be hinting at a return to Spring Training next year by then.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/06/28 08:56:49
Mr. Poboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 08:54:16 (permalink)
Another fantastic report! Thank you!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 13:33:49 (permalink)
Sunday June 17, 2018

After arriving at El Guero Canelo a few minutes after 10:00, I was surprised to see that they had no menu boards near the ordering windows.  Then I remembered that the menus were on tv monitors, that were currently blank.  I went up to the window and informed them of this and a man came out of the kitchen to get them up and working.  He was having some difficulty, so I went and used the men's room.  When I came out, there were now three men working on the issue.  Come on guys, his is not helping me get my Sonoran dog fix!  Finally, I went up to the window, ordered the regular Sonoran dog, a Sammy dog, a horchata and just as I was saying that was it, the menu boards came on,

so I quickly added some tacos.

Within five minutes, the order was ready, so I picked it up at the window and carried it down a couple of steps into the dining area. 

As you can see, red, green and white, the colors of the Mexican flag, are used in decoration throughout the place.  In the center of this room, they have an impressive toppings and salsa bar.

While I was getting the food, Mariton was helping herself

and she wasn't exactly shy about it.  The item she went particularly crazy about was the grilled green onions.  She went back up twice here and then was on the look out for these everywhere else we went during the trip.  She loved how sweet they were.

For those who don't know, Sonoran dogs are typically inexpensive wieners, wrapped in bacon, nestled in a soft bun and topped with delicious items such as chopped tomato, chopped onion, mustard, mayo, jalapeno sauce and whatever else they can think of.  Each restaurant or street cart does them differently and they can be found all over Tucson.  While driving around the city for three days, we saw at least a dozen street carts in open parking lots selling Sonoran dogs.

The regular dog uses one wiener, while the Sammy dog has two. 

That's a regular on the left, with a Sammy on the right.  I find that at El Guero Canelo, the Sammy dog gives a better bun-to meat-to toppings balance,

but even the regular wiener dog here is terrific.  Here is a close-up

of the bounty of toppings.  

The tacos were one beef, one chicken, one on a corn tortilla, one on a flour. 

These were nothing special, but jazzed up with salsa, peppers, etc. they became quite good.  So good that Mariton gave me the rest of her hot dog to focus on the tacos, which was a great deal for me. 

The horchata

is by far the mostobnoxious, overly sweet version we have ever had anywhere.  

El Guero Canelo doesn't make the best Sonoran dog in Tucson (though it is still terrific), but they did make the dish popular.  So popular, that they were among the James Beard Award winners in the 2018 America's Classics category.  While I was chatting with the guys trying to fix the monitors, I asked if they had the award on display.  They said maybe it is at the other, bigger location.  Since this one on 12th Street is the original, you would think it would be here, but no one knew for sure.

El Guero Canelo
5201 S. 12th Street
Tucson, AZ
520-295-9005

Now that we had some food in our belly, it was time to get back in the car.  We headed south on I-17 and before too long, we got off to visit the Titan Missile Museum in Green Valley.  Obviously, this is a relic from the Cold War where members of the U.S. Air Force were assigned to live down in these underground bunkers, prepared to fire nuclear missiles if necessary.  Our tour guide was a retired Colonel in the Air Force.  He had a great sense of humor and really knew the subject matter.  Besides him, there were two other men who followed along, just to make sure we were staying out of trouble.

There were very strict protocols that had to be followed on a daily basis and to learn what life was like for the people who served here was eye opening.  Not just anyone could take on this responsibility.  For instance, the only time when the servicemen or women could be alone was in the break room.  For someone like me who needs his alone time, this would be an impossibility.  Anyway, here are some photos:

To actually launch the missile, several different codes arrive and it has to be verified and reverified.  The tour guide asked us if we had figured out in our heads the amount of different code combinations that were possible.  Now, I think I am pretty good at math, but that was way, way beyond my skills.  He told us that recently one man did the math quickly in his head and was right on the button with the total.  Then he told us the name of this famous person and we all went, well yeah, if anyone could get it, it would be him.  Any guesses who this famous person was?

The good news, Mariton got her photo taken at the launch desk

and no missiles were filed.  The bad news is that since I was over 5' 10" and there were so many low ceilings, I had to wear a hardhat.

The tour itself only lasted about a hour, but we learned quite a bit and it comes highly recommended.

We got back on the interstate heading south.

Much more to come....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/28 13:49:37
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 13:41:58 (permalink)
Was it the Rocketman, Kim Jong-un?

Second guess, Dennis Rodman.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/06/28 13:43:01
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 13:52:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/06/28 18:57:18
JRPfeff

Does Kim Jong-Un spend a lot of time in Arizona?  He's probably too smart to go there in June.  No to Dennis Rodman, too.  As a hint, this person does not have a nose ring. 

I hope I didn't just give it away.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 14:01:16 (permalink)
Mr. Poboy
Another fantastic report! Thank you!

Thanks so much!  It is greatly appreciated.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 14:03:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/28 15:48:10
buffetbuster
JRPfeff

Does Kim Jong-Un spend a lot of time in Arizona?  He's probably too smart to go there in June.  No to Dennis Rodman, too.  As a hint, this person does not have a nose ring. 

I hope I didn't just give it away.

Crud. I was going to say ChiTownDiner.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 14:11:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/06/28 18:57:46
The hard hat is an attractive accessory....perhaps even the Sultan will trade up!

I always knew you were a double wiener guy!  Appreciate the confirmation!  

Ben Stein...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 15:34:02 (permalink)
I'm going to guess Stephen Hawking.  Or maybe Sheldon Cooper.

So is a Sonoran dog served unadorned, with all of the toppings at the discretion of the consumer?  Or does it come with certain toppings the seller feels are mandatory?

ChiTownDiner
The hard hat is an attractive accessory....perhaps even the Sultan will trade up!

I'd say he could pull off the hairnet look, too!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 15:48:52 (permalink)
Alex Trebek....guess #2
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 16:06:23 (permalink)
Some good guesses so far, but no one has gotten it, yet.  From what I have been hearing, this person recently made a sizeable investment in a major Arizona project.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5463
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 16:08:58 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 18:01:37 (permalink)
TJ wins a 5-way Sonoran dog!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 18:20:27 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
http://money.cnn.com/2017...ity-arizona/index.html

Yup, that's it!  Nicely done. 

Unless Bill Gates has a nose ring.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5213
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 18:59:42 (permalink)
Great report BB!  I take it Mariton would sign up for the NEPA Tripe Tour? 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 19:00:11 (permalink)
Sunday June 17, 2018

Our destination was the border town of Nogales and the restaurant La Cabana

It is located just a little north of the downtown area in a strip mall, although it does not have the typical strip mall feel.  The business next door includes a bowling alley and this sign out front made me laugh. 

Do you need to have a big, muscular body like the men of Sparta to be a great bowler?  To bowl a perfect game?

When we walked in La Cabana, we were immediately struck by how dead the atmosphere was.  We stood by the door for about a minute and since no one came over, decided to sit at a table near the window.  There was one other couple eating at a booth nearby.  Eventually someone came out of the kitchen to drop off menus and take our drink order.  His English was not good, but luckily, our Spanish was even worse.  This was the one restaurant we visited where communication was an issue.  After receiving our drinks, Coke for me, water for her since those are easy, a different man came over to take our order.  While the previous man was pleasant, this guy was not. We did still manage to get our order across.

Like in the review, we started off with guacamole. 

Sorry my photos are terrible, but we tried taking tons of photos and they just were not turning out.  Interesting that there was only two chips provided, but had plenty of chips that came with the salsa. 

The guac was very fresh and was spiced up with other ingredients (lime juice for sure) and this was a fine start.  For entrees, Mariton got the fish and shrimp tacos. 

She added the lettuce, tomato, salsa and, of course, the guac to put together some fine tacos.  My entrée was the chimichangas,

which came in a crispy shell, filled with savory beef, onions and peppers.  Truthfully, they didn't look impressive at first inspection, but I broke them apart and dipped them by hand into the sour cream and guac and this was pretty wonderful.  

When we were done eating, the waiter came over to our table to I assume drop off the check.  Instead, he placed a small container of toothpicks at our table and then disappeared for 15 minutes.  Mariton finally walked to the door of the kitchen to ask for our check.  All together, the food was less than $20.00.

The food at La Cabana was certainly good enough, but I'm not so sure I will be rushing back anytime soon.  We could have very easily caught them on a day when they were short on staff.

La Cabana
840 N. Grand Avenue
Nogales, AZ
520-287-8208

Since we were this close, we wanted to see the border, so we drove into the downtown area.  The city of Nogales, Mexico sits right on the other side of the fence and if it wasn't for the high wall separating the two, you would think it was just one big city.  We were hoping to take some photos of the area, but we made a wrong turn, ended up on a highway out of town with nowhere to turn around, so we just kept going.

Besides, we had somewhere to be before they closed at 5:00pm.  Tumacacori is a small national historical monument right off of I-17 and is where a mission was built by the Spanish and later abandoned.  We watched a short movie on what life was like when this place was a thriving mission.  The park itself is rather small and it took us less than an hour to see it all, which was fine, because it was really starting to get hot.  Here are some photos of this photogenic site:

We got back in the car and drove back to Tucson.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/28 19:07:02
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 19:02:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/06/29 06:03:46
joerogo
Great report BB!  I take it Mariton would sign up for the NEPA Tripe Tour? 

Joe, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have seen her eat.  But, other than Sonoran dogs and the much beloved dogs at the late, great Charlie's Pool Room, she thinks hot dogs are gross.  

I think she would be right there with you on that tripe tour!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/28 19:09:55 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

So is a Sonoran dog served unadorned, with all of the toppings at the discretion of the consumer?  Or does it come with certain toppings the seller feels are mandatory?

No, it comes fully loaded.  I have eaten at six different Sonoran dog places in Tucson over the years and none of them puts out an identical dog.  No doubt each place wants to put their own little stamp on it, although the basic ingredients remain the same.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6235
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 01:34:51 (permalink)
buffetbuster
 The business next door includes a bowling alley and this sign out front made me laugh. 

Do you need to have a big, muscular body like the men of Sparta to be a great bowler?  To bowl a perfect game?

I believe that is an image of Gerard Butler from the film "300".  And what's a perfect score in bowling?

You're welcome.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 07:06:05 (permalink)
Buddy-
Thanks, but I got the connection immediately.  I was giving people reading this an opportunity for their own moment of discovery.  Why else would I take the random photo, include it in the trip report, reference Sparta and mention the perfect game.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 07:53:45 (permalink)
Sunday June 17, 2018 (cont.)

Once back in Tucson, we wanted to have a really good sit down meal, so we headed for Mi Nidito.  They are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so this would be our only chance to eat at one of Tucson's best Mexican restaurants during this trip.  But instead of seeing a full parking lot and people milling around the front door as usual, there was no one around.  Just as I was getting out of the car, another car pulled into the parking lot and a young lady got out of a Lyft vehicle.  We walked to the front door and there was no sign explaining why they were not open.  I sure hope something didn't happen.  

Oh well, what's a vacation without getting Travelin' Manned at least once?

Mariton pointed out that the restaurant across the street had a full parking lot and said we should go there.  They were indeed busy and the name Guillermo's Double L Restaurant

looked familiar.  I looked at my meager, poor excuse for a spreadsheet and saw they were on my list of possible places worthy of checking out.  So, we pulled in and grabbed a table.

The chips and salsa

here were especially good and we both appreciate that you are given one each of hot and mild salsas.  My wife likes her salsa ferociously hot.

As an appetizer, that Tucson specialty cheese crisp,

this with lengths of green chiles on top.  They place it on top of a stand, similar to what you see with pizzas.  The green chile was very mild.  The crisp itself is cracker thin

and had plenty of cheese, but also had more of an oily flavor than I remember.  Still enjoyable, though.

For her entrée, I suggested Mariton get the shrimp topopo salad,

another popular regional dish in Tucson.  I'm not sure the photos really do this justice, because it was a thing of beauty.  We both went, "ooooo" when our waitress set it down in front of her.  At the bottom is a crisp tortilla, then topped with refried beans, lettuce, peas, carrots, cheese, tomato, strips of avocado, salad dressing and finally, large, plump shrimp.  That's cocktail sauce on the side.  She loved it, but with everything she had already eaten on this day, did not come close to finishing it.

Normally, I would order something more regional, but I couldn't pass up the bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed shrimp. 

It's like someone has been reading my diary!  How were they?  It was bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed shrimp!  That's how they were!

To drink, I had my usual iced tea, while Mariton had her one and only alcoholic beverage on the trip, a pineapple margarita. 

She complained there was little alcohol in it and it had no effect on her and she is the lightest of lightweights.

Service was excellent and besides our efficient waitress, there were three other waitresses who were also checking on us throughout the meal.  This is a well run restaurant.

Guillermo's has been around since 1948 and pulls in a nice crowd.  But it was easy to see that the customers were almost all gringos.  Even though we enjoyed what we had, no doubt there are much better Mexican restaurants in Tucson waiting to be discovered.

Guillermo's Double L Restaurant
1830 S. 4th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-792-1585

Oh, and during the meal, Mariton asked about Mi Nidito and we were told they are on vacation this week.  Thanks Steve! 

One more stop on this day, as we drove into downtown for ice cream.  This is Hub Ice Cream Factory

and this was our first time here.  Parking is always an issue in this area, as it is full of restaurants and hotels, but we were lucky to find somebody pulling out of a space just a half block away.

This is no old-fashioned soda fountain, as the interior is sleek and modern. 

Mariton is not the ice cream lover I am, so she decided to share whatever I ordered and grabbed the last open table.  Here are the ice cream flavors,

if you can see past the young man's head.  He stood up at the wrong time.

I had been jonesing for a hot fudge sundae for a while, so this

is a scoop each of dark chocolate and Oreo mint chip with hot fudge drizzle on top.  As you can see, I am one of those weird people who does not like whipped cream, nuts of cherry on my sundae.  Very satisfying and a fine conclusion to a day of good food.  Mariton only had two bites max, which left me the rest.  No complaints!

Hub Ice Cream Factory 
245 E. Congress Street
Tucson, AZ
520-622-0255

We checked into our hotel, Hyatt Place next to the airport for the night.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/29 08:05:14
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 08:10:54 (permalink)
Meager....

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5