Helpful ReplyHot!Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way...

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12305
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 08:13:38 (permalink)
Comparatively speaking...
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 09:05:55 (permalink)
But you have other assets...some hidden....
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7006
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 09:33:49 (permalink)
BB, regarding the wisdom of your visiting Arizona in June. 
Contrary to some opinions expressed above, it was wise.

Aside from visiting the Grand Canyon when I was 8 the only time I visited Arizona was on a two week vacation in August of 2003.  At the time The Princess and I were scouting out 'retirement' places that had milder winters than NoVa.  And, being a 'desert girl', Scottsdale has first on her list.  So, that I am, I insisted we visit in August.  

I loved it!  Yes, it was hot - but they do have some state-of-the-art AC there, as did our rented Lincoln.  The crowds were non-existent, the resort was only a fraction of its 'in season' rates, the food was great, the shopping 'big city', the scenery was magnificent, and I could walk onto any golf course and step right to the tee at dawn (the only 'sane' time).  In sum, it was great even from my perspective.  Of course Wafa loved it; August there is like springtime in her home city.  As a bonus, we missed the Great Blackout.

The only thing I couldn't abide was the 'brownness' of it all.  Yes, Sedona was beautiful, Prescott was quaint, and Scottsdale offers all the 'big city' amenities, but I need green to predominate to be content for anything more than just a vacation.  Oh, we also got to experience both a monsoon and a haboob while there.  Didn't much like that.

Bottom line, Arizona is a great place to visit during its summer.  Wise choice you made there.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/06/29 09:37:46
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 09:53:35 (permalink)
Very interesting Jim.  I can certainly see the attraction for Scottsdale, especially for Wafa.  And thanks for always having my back!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5423
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 10:28:01 (permalink)
buffetbuster
After collecting our luggage, we took our first steps outside and the heat clubbed us over our heads like a mugger.  It was brutal!  We had been watching the 109 degree temps in Phoenix all week, but it should be fine, because it's a dry heat, right?  Sorry, no, 109 is still 109.  Since it was now 9:45 at night, it was probably only 95 out, but we both knew this would be an adjustment.

Cliff,

Maybe you should let this guy in on MetroJim's secret. He seemed so overwhelmed by the heat that he started his report complaining about it.

I actually learned to appreciate the Dry Heat of The Valley. When I'd fly back to Wisconsin while working there I considered the humidity in Milwaukee with a 75 degree temperature to be brutal. It never kept me from exercising or hiking outside, I just made sure to protect myself from Arizona's sun.

jrp
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9474
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 10:46:29 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
BB, regarding the wisdom of your visiting Arizona in June. 
Contrary to some opinions expressed above, it was wise.

Aside from visiting the Grand Canyon when I was 8 the only time I visited Arizona was on a two week vacation in August of 2003.  At the time The Princess and I were scouting out 'retirement' places that had milder winters than NoVa.  And, being a 'desert girl', Scottsdale has first on her list.  So, that I am, I insisted we visit in August.  

I loved it!  Yes, it was hot - but they do have some state-of-the-art AC there, as did our rented Lincoln.  The crowds were non-existent, the resort was only a fraction of its 'in season' rates, the food was great, the shopping 'big city', the scenery was magnificent, and I could walk onto any golf course and step right to the tee at dawn (the only 'sane' time).  In sum, it was great even from my perspective.  Of course Wafa loved it; August there is like springtime in her home city.  As a bonus, we missed the Great Blackout.

The only thing I couldn't abide was the 'brownness' of it all.  Yes, Sedona was beautiful, Prescott was quaint, and Scottsdale offers all the 'big city' amenities, but I need green to predominate to be content for anything more than just a vacation.  Oh, we also got to experience both a monsoon and a haboob while there.  Didn't much like that.

Bottom line, Arizona is a great place to visit during its summer.  Wise choice you made there.

I was married in Mesa(suburb of Phoenix), back in the late 80's, in late June because most of my family was living in Arizona at the time. Temperature for my wedding :110 degrees. Not good. Little humidity it's true, but very hot is very hot. Everybody says, but it's a dry heat. My answer is Hell, my oven is a dry heat, but I don't want to be in it. Most of Phoenix is a sprawling suburb of strip malls and developments joined by highways. My wife loves Arizona(Sedona IS indeed  gorgeous and breath taking). But I can only take the Valley Of The Sun in small doses. Agreed: It's a great place to visit,especially for scenery....
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 10:49:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chickenplucker 2018/06/29 11:06:26
Monday June 18, 2018

My wife has no problem getting up in the morning, but she does have her limits.  When I told her I would be leaving for breakfast approximately 5:30AM, she said to go without her.  Of course I understood, but that was a shame, because she missed a truly great breakfast.  My destination was Baja Café,

a modest small diner in the northeast part of town.  There are currently two Baja Café locations in Tucson, with a third opening soon, but this is the original location, conveniently located between a barber shop and a carpet store.

Even though I arrived just after 6:00, there was already a handful of cars and customers inside.  Most of them were sitting in the booths on the dark side of the restaurant, but the other room was mostly empty

and had much more desirable light.  I loved the waitress Sara immediately.  Sassy, big personality and she loves what she does.  She spends time chatting with each customer and made me feel like a regular here on my first visit.

The large breakfast menu dedicates one whole page to benedicts,

one of my favorite morning meals.   Sara had her suggestions, but as soon as I saw that coyote benedict had chipotle hollandaise over top a green chile, how could I say no to that?

This is the typical English muffin, but then you get jalapeno bacon, perfectly poached eggs, grilled Hatch chile peppers, all topped with that spicy chipotle hollandaise.  What an amazing combination of flavors.  This was a real powerhouse of a dish.  When Sara was enthusiastically describing the dish to me, she pointed out they get their green chiles from Hatch and they are only one of two restaurants in Tucson that make their hollandaise sauce from scratch.  That little factoid surprised me.

For a side, I inquired about the corned beef hatch and asked it is was from a can or made here.  She gave me a look that I should be embarrassed to ask such a dumb question.  She said, "There are three things we don't make here.  Wheat toast, sourdough toast and the English muffin.  Everything else is made from scratch!"  Alright!  Let's make it happen.  When she dropped off the hash,

she told a story recently that men from Ireland were eating here and also asking about the corned beef hash.  She told them that if they didn't love it, she would pay for all of their meals.  Than she smiled and said, "I didn't have to pay for their meals."  This hash is in spicy, briny chunks of almost exclusively meat.  No potato or any other filler.  Maybe not in the class of McBob's in Milwaukee, but this was excellent corned beef hash!

The menu also includes some unusual flavors of pancakes and I lamented to Sara that I wish my wife was with me, so I could order one of those, too.  To my surprise, she brought out a snickerdoodle pancake

on the house.  She said what I couldn't eat, she would box it up to go.  How nice!  The pancake had a nice texture and was properly sweet (that's a vanilla cream cheese glaze on top), without being cloying, but did not rise to the level of the benedict or the hash.  Still, I ate quite a bit of this, too.

I told Sara this meal was so good we would probably be back later in the trip, but we never got the chance.  If you are ever in Tucson, move Baja Café right to the top of your breakfast list!

Baja Cafe
7002 E. Broadway Blvd.
Tucson, AZ
520-495-4772

On the way back to the hotel, I drove past the famous Tucson airplane boneyard

I imagine this would be quite a sight to see, but we didn't realize that you have to get security clearance something like 10 days before your visit, so couldn't see it during our visit.

I picked up Mariton who was ready and we headed out for a great day in Tucson!

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/29 10:54:55
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 10:58:06 (permalink)
Fantastic looking breakfast buffetbuster. I've never had a breakfast at a Mexican restaurant that I didn't love. Something about adding chiles and spices to eggs always draws me in.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 11:23:41 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster
After collecting our luggage, we took our first steps outside and the heat clubbed us over our heads like a mugger.  It was brutal!  We had been watching the 109 degree temps in Phoenix all week, but it should be fine, because it's a dry heat, right?  Sorry, no, 109 is still 109.  Since it was now 9:45 at night, it was probably only 95 out, but we both knew this would be an adjustment.

Cliff,

Maybe you should let this guy in on MetroJim's secret. He seemed so overwhelmed by the heat that he started his report complaining about it.

I actually learned to appreciate the Dry Heat of The Valley. When I'd fly back to Wisconsin while working there I considered the humidity in Milwaukee with a 75 degree temperature to be brutal. It never kept me from exercising or hiking outside, I just made sure to protect myself from Arizona's sun.

jrp

I had a 'Cliff-like' first impression, too.  A colleague had recommended a 'real' Mexican place in Old Town Scottsdale and we decided to make it for our first AZ lunch.  We had to park a block away on a 115 degree day and that short walk on concrete was 'eye opening' to say the least.  I soon learned how the natives coped with the heat and valet or indoor parking came to rule our days.

I will say though that outdoor dining - in the shade with the fans and misters going was quite comfortable and most enjoyable and I came to notice those fan/mister/shade combos nearly everywhere, including the ticked line for the Cine Capri.  The natives know how to cope in comfort and I soon learned how to as well.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 11:48:22 (permalink)
I believe the security clearance is only for TSA Pre-CHeck!  Most flights outta there are strictly one-way....
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 12:05:17 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Fantastic looking breakfast buffetbuster. I've never had a breakfast at a Mexican restaurant that I didn't love. Something about adding chiles and spices to eggs always draws me in.

I am right there with you on this.  My favorite meals in Mexican restaurants are usually breakfast.
annepr
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 13:39:15 (permalink)
I'm really enjoying this report. My husband was stationed in Tucson at a Titan Missile site in the early 70s. Years later we were in Tucson and visited the Museum. I was seven months pregnant at the time, and the guides took really good care of me. I even got to wear a hard hat!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 13:40:14 (permalink)
Monday June 18, 2018

Cousin Johnny and I visited La Estrella Bakery

in Tucson several years ago and thought it was especially memorable, so it was at the top of my list for this trip.  They open at 7:00AM everyday, so I am thinking that the place was going to be packed when we arrived, with locals picking up goodies on their way to work.  The parking lot was full, but no customers inside.  Curious.

As soon as we walked inside, the unmistakable aroma of freshly baked goods was in the air.  If you walk into a bakery and it doesn' t smell like this, you mind as well turn around and leave.  When Johnny and I were here last time, the person taking our order spoke little English and that made it difficult, as so many of the items in the cases are unfamiliar to us.  We had lots of questions and it was mildly frustrating.  This time, I did research ahead of time, looking up the best items in a Mexican bakery and was prepared to order exactly what I wanted.  Only this time the young lady taking our order spoke better English than I do.

Usually when we walk into a Roadfood place, Mariton looks around, decides this doesn't particularly interest her and sits down somewhere.  Here at this bakery, she was fully invested, obviously excited about the beautiful items

in the cases.  Her number one choice was a twist donut,

which was surprising since she's not a donut girl and this is not particularly Mexican.  I took one bite of it and it was soft, yeasty, with sugar sprinkled on top and a tasty cream on one end.  

Next up was the colorful shortbread-like bandera

in the red, green and white of the Mexican flag.  Being a big fan of gingerbread, I loved the appropriately shaped cochito

(little piggy) cookie.  Flaky, sugary, with a decided crunch was the elephant ear or oreja.

I liked the buttery empanadas better than she did, with this

one being apple.  We also picked up a pineapple empanada.  The nino envuelto (jelly roll)

was spongy with coconut shaving on the exterior and a thin layer of strawberry jam filling.  And you can't visit a Mexican bakery without picking up some conchas

and we bought both a vanilla and a chocolate.  Concha means seashell and it is a soft cinnamon bread, with a crispy textured top.  These are almost always the most popular items in a Mexican bakery.

By the time we finished ordering, there were now a half dozen people behind me in line.  Whoops!  The young lady who took our order was a sweetie and even covered the box in plastic

to make sure our haul stays as fresh as possible.  We were snacking on these for days.

I should mention that I read somewhere that most of the Sonoran dog places around Tucson get their buns at La Estrella, including El Guero Canelo, which is just a short distance down the road.

La Estrella Bakery 
5266 S. 12th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-741-0656

El Tiradito

is a small Catholic shrine in the middle of a residential neighborhood, so we paid it a quick visit.  Of course growing up in the Philippines, Mariton is a devout Catholic and loves visiting places like this.  Interesting story behind it, too.

It was now after 9:00AM and the Tucson Tamale Company

was open for business, so that became our next destination.  My first visit was several years ago with JRPfeff.  It is located on the end of a strip mall and I did not remember it being so brightly colored.  The interior

has definitely been moved around and truthfully, it looks much better now.  I like the silverware clock

and they also have interesting art work

for sale.  Cute little tip jar, too.

Knowing just how much food we still had ahead on this day, we ordered light with the two tamale plate.  Of course they arrive

still in their husk.  This is the classic green corn tamale on the left,

red beef chile on the right.  Mariton thought the red was dry and it was, but I still liked the savory and spicy combination.  The green corn tamale is on a whole 'nother level.  Just a little sweet, slightly more green chile heat, the predominant flavor is corn, as it should be.  I was thinking this was the best green corn tamale I have ever had, but hold that thought...

Tucson Tamale Company
2545 E. Broadway Blvd.
Tucson, AZ
520-305-4760

At this point, we were both full.  It was way too hot to do any touristy things outside, so we went shopping.  Only this time it was for me at the University of Arizona bookstore.  The Wildcats are one of my favorite teams and this time of year, before the students arrive, they have a great selection.  Walking out of the store after buying a t-shirt and a hoodie, we noticed they now have an ice cream store just a few doors down.  We always have time and appetite for ice cream!

The store is called The Scoop,

which isn't exactly original and the ice cream is not made here, but that wasn't about to slow us down.  Once again, Mariton just wanted to share with me, so it was a scoop each of peanut butter fudge and strawbear-down. 

While in the store, we saw several t-shirts with the Bear-Down saying on it, so it must be a U of A thing.  The PB fudge was nothing special, but the strawberry was a standout, that tasted of real, fresh fruit.

We were far from done on this day, as two of the best food stops of the trip are coming up next. 

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/29 14:03:21
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/29 14:11:51 (permalink)
annepr
I'm really enjoying this report. My husband was stationed in Tucson at a Titan Missile site in the early 70s. Years later we were in Tucson and visited the Museum. I was seven months pregnant at the time, and the guides took really good care of me. I even got to wear a hard hat!

Thanks for chiming in!  Not surprised that they took good care of you, as they seemed very safety conscious.  Does your husband have good stories about his time working at a Titan Missile site or that still classified?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/30 09:16:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/30 09:31:03
buffetbuster,

I think found the Roadfood theme song.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/06/30 09:22:46
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3570
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/30 09:24:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/30 09:34:13
JRPfeff
buffetbuster,

That song should be the official Roadfood tune.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/30 09:34:35 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster,

Would compliment any dinner party....
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/30 11:46:07 (permalink)
buffetbuster
annepr

Thanks for chiming in!  Not surprised that they took good care of you, as they seemed very safety conscious.  Does your husband have good stories about his time working at a Titan Missile site or that still classified?

One of my 'homies' manned a missile silo.  On visits home he would regale us with all sorts of detailed, technical stuff about what his missiles could do.  I asked him if the stuff he was telling us was classified; he responded "Not really.  In fact, we want Ivan to know what we have and what it can do.  The only real secret is how and under what circumstances we will deploy it."
annepr
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/30 12:03:48 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Not really any good stories. I think it was kind of boring. But he became a real reader as the result of working with another guy who was. After they both left the Air Force, my husband went on to be an English major at UC Berkeley where we met. So that was a good result!

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6235
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/30 12:57:04 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
JRPfeff
buffetbuster,

That song should be the official Roadfood tune.

Might get some competition from this song:

Buddy
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 07:24:14 (permalink)
Monday June 18, 2018 (cont.)

The single restaurant I was most excited about visiting on this trip is here in Tucson, is only open on weekdays and closes at 2:00pm.  So, we had to keep an eye on the clock.  While Mariton was shopping in a Nordstrom Rack in the northern part of the city, I stayed in the car and plotted out the rest of the day.  I was happy to find that my favorite Sonoran dog restaurant was less than 10 minutes away.

To call Aqui Con El Nene a restaurant isn't the best description, because it is really a truck 

with a small covered dining area, in a dirt parking lot behind a bar.  There is a second location nearby inside a gas station, but I find this one more atmospheric.  Even though it was still close to lunch time, there was no line at this usually popular place.  The menu board:

What seperates Aqui Con El Nene from the countless other Sonoran dog stands around the city is that beside the regular dog, they also serve the Hot Dog Chipilon, which means that it comes out with a perfectly toasted bun

and a layer of soft, melty cheese on the bottom.  This gives it another level of flavor that the other ones don't have.  The toppings are the usual suspects and I think the cheese gives it an even better balance.  The pepper that comes on the side can be fiercely hot, so I leave those to Mariton.  This was her first dog at Aqui and she quickly agreed this was her favorite Sonoran dog.

Wanting to try something else on the menu, we also ordered a Taco Yaqui. 

You start with a pair of flour tortillas and build up, including a whole green chile, mushroom, bacon, cheese and carne asada.  As a bonus, this gave Mariton the chance to hit one of the best salsa/toppings bars

in Tucson and she hit it hard.  She must have come back with at least another half dozen of the sweet green onions.  Great stuff and my wife liked this taco even better than the hot dog.  I get the feeling there are some other great options on the menu here, but it will be hard to stray from what we ate.  To drink,

a jamaica in a bottle.

Deluxe dining

this is not, but Aqui Con El Nene should be at the top of anyone's list for visits to Tucson.  BTW, I found several different translations for the name and my favorite was "here is the baby.  The only way I could like this place more is if they actually say "here is the baby" when they hand you your food order.

Aqui Con El Nene
4415 N. Flowing Wells Road
Tucson, AZ
520-312-1666

We got back in the car and headed downtown.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/03 07:28:22
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 07:36:49 (permalink)
If they said "here is the baby" to you, would you start showing up in diapers?  

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10540
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 07:57:40 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Oh...wow...that's a sight that I won't be able to erase from my memory!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 08:10:32 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

You must have misread.  It translates to "here is the baby", not "here you big baby."
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8576
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 08:31:10 (permalink)
buffetbuster
...and a layer of soft, melty cheese on the bottom.

I think you just plagiarized a Taco Bell commercial.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 809
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 08:45:04 (permalink)
Great report as always. The Hot Dog Chipilon looks incredible...
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 08:49:11 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster
...and a layer of soft, melty cheese on the bottom.

I think you just plagiarized a Taco Bell commercial.

I believe "melty cheese" is Trademarked by Guy Fieri.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 08:58:13 (permalink)
JRPfeff and SC-
Those are officially the most hurtful things anyone has ever said to me!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 09:33:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/07/03 09:41:00
buffetbuster
ChiTownDiner

You must have misread.  It translates to "here is the baby", not "here you big baby."

My mistake...thought you had found a new way to maximize your dining time!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 09:38:42 (permalink)
chickenplucker
Great report as always. The Hot Dog Chipilon looks incredible...

Thanks so much CP!  You would love those Sonoran dogs.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5