Helpful ReplyHot!Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way...

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 10:38:32 (permalink)
I enjoyed following your trip on Instagram but I'm really enjoying your trip report.

Thanks for the time and work putting this together.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12257
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 10:54:16 (permalink)
Thanks mikeam!  

Mike was just a few days ahead of us at the Grand Canyon and posted some gorgeous picks on Instagram as well.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 13:45:15 (permalink)
Monday June 18, 2018 (cont.)

Café Poca Cosa is a long time Roadfood favorite and probably the best restaurant in Tucson.  In a town like Tucson, that is really saying something.  Their sister restaurant used to be known as Little Café Poca Cosa, but changed their name to The Little One within the last year.  The menus are similar, but The Little One

is more relaxed and casual, plus open limited hours.  And when I say sister restaurant, I mean that literally as Suzana Davila owns Café Poca Cosa and her sisters Sandra and Marcela own The Little One

If you want to read about a visit from Cousin Johnny and I in 2014, you can find it here.  While in Tucson in 2015, I ate here again and had another fabulous meal.  No doubt that The Little One is in my all-time Roadfood Top Ten.  Mariton was probably tired of hearing me rave about this restaurant and I could only hope it would live up to expectations.

For this visit, we had a pretty young waitress.  Normally, I wouldn't complain about that, but it is always more fun when one of the Davila sisters waits on you.  This ended up not being an issue as Sandra was omnipresent in the dining room chatting with customers. 

Before we even received menus, the waitress was asking what we were drinking.  I had her go over the juice selections,

but things got confused and both Mariton and I ended up ordering the same one. 

This is cucumber/ginger/basil, so refreshing on a 100+ degree day.  The salsa

that starts the meal is a chunky style, heavy on cilantro and the best salsa I have ever had anywhere.

The idea was for me to order two of the best entrees that I have had before and for us to share them.  I should have known better.  Once Mariton tasted the conchinito en crema de chipotle,

the plate never got passed back to me.  She was even making audible yummy noises, something I have never heard before.  You'd think with the chipotle it would be spicy hot, but it was mild heat-wise.  Her claiming dibs on this dish left me with the dark, complex flavored pollo en mole negro. 

I am a huge fan of moles, so this arrangement worked out well.  Both dishes came with rice, a colorful salad and fruit.  Honeydew was on my plate and is one of my favorite fruits, while her plate had papaya, a favorite fruit from growing up in the Philippines.  Almost like it was meant to be.  

There was no way we were going to eat here and not get a tamal de elote. 

This was so good that we were locking eyes with that "can you believe how good this is?" look.  As good as the tamale was we had earlier at Tucson Tamale Company, this was leagues ahead.

As great as the food is, this restaurant is about so much more.  It says on a sign that hugs are mandatory. 

And many people do get hugs on their way in or out

and usually both.  They also have a large donation jar and on the chalkboard

they show you exactly where the donated money goes to.  This is a place with a huge heart.  When Mariton got up to use the ladies room, I gave her money to put in the jar.  When Sandra saw this, she stopped Mariton and gave her a hug.  Before we left, I told Sandra how much we loved the food and everything this restaurant represents and well, there was more hugging.  Here is Sandra with my wife Annie Oakley.

As always, we walked out of The Little One feeling like a million bucks!

The Little One
151 N. Stone Avenue
Tucson, AZ
No phone number

After giving it some thought, not only is The Little One in my top ten, but I would put it squarely in my all-time top five Roadfood restaurants.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/04 06:57:47
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 795
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 14:37:45 (permalink)
Awesome^^^^^^^^

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4983
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/03 15:02:12 (permalink)
I'd give you both a hug!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 06:59:45 (permalink)
One more thing to love about The Little One...  They have their glowing review in the most recent Roadfood book blown up in poster form on the wall. 

This thing must be two feet tall!

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 07:38:43 (permalink)
That's a big one...at the Little One!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 07:54:42 (permalink)
After we finished at The Little One, Mariton wanted to continue shopping, so we headed for the last Nordstrom Rack in town we hadn't visited yet, which was way on the east part of town.  I dropped her off at a shopping center that also included a TJ Maxx, so I knew this was going to take a while.  Luckily, I noticed that we drove right past Gus Balon's to get there and it was only five minutes away.

I have been to Gus Balon's many times over the years, mostly for breakfast.  But they also make their own bread and pies and after everything we have already eaten on this day, this stop would have to be for pie only.  They close at 3:00PM and I walked in at 2:40, so there was only a handful of customers.  From the counter, I chose a slice of the chocolate banana cream pie

and an iced tea.  Not the prettiest pie I have ever seen, as the one side has caved in.  Real whipped topping, small cut up chunks of banana inside the rich chocolate filling, but the crust didn't taste homemade, which surprised me.  I would give this about a B-.  I also noticed that the giant pie mural they used to have on the back wall has been replaced.  When paying at the register, they gave a small discount for paying in cash.  I was in and out of here in less than 10 minutes.

Gus Balon's
6027 E. 22nd Street
Tucson, AZ
520-747-7788

Wanting to get out of the heat and away from the rush hour traffic, we relaxed at the hotel for a few hours.  

Around 7:00 we headed out for the last Sonoran dog stop of the trip at Ruiz Hot Dogs,

a cart in an open lot across from the beautiful St. Augustine Cathedral.  They also have a nice little, shaded dining area,

seats inside the cart

and even a sink.

The toppings

are similar to what you see at other Sonoran dog stands,

but here they butter the buns before grilling them and they come out with a layer of crunch

that even Aqui Con El Nene doesn't have.  Aesthetically, this is a real beauty of a hot dog.  I will still rank Aqui as number one because of that layer of MELTED cheese, but Ruiz is right there with them.

To drink, help yourself to glass sodas in the well-iced coolers. 

I grabbed a Mexican Coke, while Mariton picked a Sprite. 

And I may be biased (I work in the glass bottle industry), but doesn't everything taste much better from glass?

We had been rushing around all day, trying to pack as much in as possible.  At this meal, we just took our time and enjoyed the cooler temps and relaxed atmosphere.  It was a nice feeling. 

Another great thing about Ruiz is the friendliness of the employees.  They don't speak much English, but they still checked on us three times during the meal.  On my previous visit a few years ago, seeing I was taking photos of my hot dogs, a couple guys came over and watched, while saying with a smile, "Facebook, Facebook!"

Ruiz Hot Dogs
1140 S. 6th Avenue
Tucson, AZ
520-406-1649

One more stop to go on this night and it was about time we finally got a raspados.  We saw several raspados stores while driving around town, but the Roadfood reviewed Juice 'N Fruit

was nearby, so we went there.  Mariton asked for a smoothie after the girl promised her they use real fruit, not powder.  Her papaya, orange and strawberry smoothie was pretty darn good. 

But, once she saw my sandia raspados, she instantly regretted her decision.  I usually don't get the ice cream in the raspados, preferring just the shaved ice, but with this heat, ice cream is most definitely welcome!

Juice 'N Fruit
3502 S. 6th Street
Tucson, AZ
520-295-5188

This was the end of one of the best days of Roadfooding in recent memory.  For those not counting, I ended up at nine food stops over the course of the day, which may be a personal record.  Well, at least on days that I wasn't traveling with the legendary ChiTownDiner.  

It was back to the hotel, since we much to do the next day, too.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/04 08:01:28
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 08:59:06 (permalink)
That was an awesome day!  You guys killed it!  I love the Sonoran Dogs!  

The pie does look rough and that flavor of pie always makes me think it is just assembled as opposed to created.  Were there other flavors?  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8451
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 09:13:56 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Any idea what "winnie" is?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6921
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 09:15:52 (permalink)
buffetbuster
 And I may be biased (I work in the glass bottle industry), but doesn't everything taste much better from glass?

Yes, especially Corona.

RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 575
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 09:32:42 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Very true...(I do consulting for the glass and crystal industry, among many others).  Your in my favorite part of the country, and the last place I lived before giving up on the states many years ago, thanks for the great report!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6921
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 09:43:42 (permalink)
I was hoping for a review of Amy's Baking Company; unfortunately, they closed before your visit to Arizona.

Viewer warning:  rough language.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 10:57:05 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

Any idea what "winnie" is?

Thanks for asking about that.  It's the actual wiener. 

I had never seen winnie as a food before encountering it at a restaurant in El Paso last year.  You can see what we ate in the Good Luck Café at the bottom of this post. 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 11:04:38 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

The pie does look rough and that flavor of pie always makes me think it is just assembled as opposed to created.  Were there other flavors?  

Of all the pies that I have had at Gus Balon's, this was the one I enjoyed the least.  Here are the signs

with the available pie flavors.  What would have been your choice?

Hey JRPfeff, didn't we stop at Gus Balon's for pie that day in Tucson?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 11:07:45 (permalink)
Sorry bb, I don't recall. I was in a food coma by the end of that day. These Sonoran Dogs look much better than what we shared.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 11:08:18 (permalink)
RodBangkok
buffetbuster

Very true...(I do consulting for the glass and crystal industry, among many others).  Your in my favorite part of the country, and the last place I lived before giving up on the states many years ago, thanks for the great report!

Thanks so much Rod.  Always glad to hear from you.  I can certainly see why this is your favorite part of the country.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 11:12:29 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Sorry bb, I don't recall. I was in a food coma by the end of that day. These Sonoran Dogs look much better than what we shared.

I will have to look back in my old photos to see exactly where we went that day.  

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 11:14:42 (permalink)
MetroplexJim-
I have probably watched that episode a dozen times over the years and it is still astonishing.  I came across the restaurant that replaced Amy's in my research, but it wasn't compelling enough to make me visit.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 12:52:00 (permalink)
buffetbuster
ChiTownDiner

Of all the pies that I have had at Gus Balon's, this was the one I enjoyed the least.  Here are the signs

with the available pie flavors.  What would have been your choice?

Hey JRPfeff, didn't we stop at Gus Balon's for pie that day in Tucson?

I would have looked for crumb top first, sour cream specials next, then fruit with raspberry, cherry and apple cranberry up front and finally cream pies led by butterscotch.  

This is proprietary information so I am hoping you will not be line jumping and beating me out of last slices.  I know your kind!  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 15:18:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/07/04 16:11:44
CTD-
I usually lean towards the cream pies first, with the fruit pies second choice.  So many pies, so little time!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 16:19:35 (permalink)
Tuesday June 19, 2018

On this morning, I woke up feeling awful, mostly due to a bad bout of acid reflex the night before.  Nine food stops the day before will do that to you.

I had no appetite for breakfast, so Mariton had oatmeal and coffee at the hotel, before we got on I-10 heading east.  Our first destination for the day was Kartchner Caverns State Park.  We really like visiting caves and knowing how hot it was going to be on this day, spending time inside some cool caverns had great appeal.  We arrived 15 minutes before the visitor center opened, so we waited not so patiently outside.  When the center unlocked the doors, we went to purchase ticketsfor the tour.  Unfortunately, the first tour didn't start for another half hour, lasts 1 1/2 hours long and you can't bring a camera or cell phone into the caves.  We talked it over and decided this wasn't for us.  I certainly understand why they have those rules, but we love taking photos way too much.  And as someone who resisted getting a cell phone way longer than anyone I know, nowadays I get separation anxiety just walking to my mailbox without my phone.  

The time here wasn't a complete waste, as at least we got this cool photo.

So kept on south for another 30 minutes or so arriving at Coronado National Monument, which is right on the Mexican border.  Inside the visitor center, you can dress as a conquistador,

although the chainmail proved too heavy to put on.  The best part of the monument is driving the dirt road

up to an overlook with a great view in both directions.   The road up the hill has many switchbacks and we were proceeding at a nice clip until we got behind a border patrol SUV, inching their way along.

This direction

is back into Arizona, while this

looks into Mexico.  Anytime we enter a national park or monument, we always stop to get Mariton's photo in front of the sign, but while driving in, a park ranger had it blocked while painting the sign brown.  Not wanting to bother her, we waited until leaving to stop.  She gladly interrupted what she was doing to allow us the photo opportunity, but I still ended up getting a paint can in the photo.

Earlier in the day, we had driven past the town of Sierra Vista, but it was time to go back, since our lunch destination would now be open.  Now known as Bobke's For Lunch, it used to be known as Bobke's Bread Basket and has appeared in several Roadfood books.  They were known for the high quality of their baked goods and a small menu of German food.  If it seems odd to have a German restaurant well out into the Arizona desert, I would agree with you.  But there are a fair number of Germans living around here, mostly working at the nearby Fort Huachuca Army Installation.

When we arrived,

the place was hopping!  We grabbed the last parking spot in the lot and ended up having a 10 minute wait for a table.  The layout of the interior

was now different as there seems to be more tables and chairs.  A young man with a slight German accent handed us menus

and took our drink orders.  The menu offers some German standards, but most of the people in the dining room were eating salads.  Looking at the size and the beauty of these salads, I could see why.  But, we didn't come this far not to get German food.

At my suggestion, Mariton ordered the jagerschnitzel. 

The pork cutlet was so tender and covered in a first-rate, dark mushroom gravy.  My order was the rahmschnitzel special. 

The schnitzels themselves were identical, just with different sauces, as my rahm sauce was richer and you could taste the presence of a heavy cream.  Truthfully, I liked hers a little more, but both were executed wonderfully.

On the side, both dishes came with spaetzel, that at first glance looked more like shoe string fries.  Also red cabbage, where you could actually taste the cabbage.  The star of our visit was the German potato salad,

which came in a iceberg lettuce shell.  This is one of my favorite dishes, but I think most of the versions served in restaurants are too sweet or too heavy on vinegar, but this one had the perfect balance between the two.  It was served warm, loaded with bacon and this is just about my ideal version.  Best I've had since my grandmother's!

All meals arrive with warm, soft pretzel rolls. 

Unfortunately, we couldn't eat everything and we had these boxed up to go.  The last item to arrive at our table was what I was expecting as an appetizer, a bowl of goulash,

which was spelled gulasch on the menu.  Big chunks of beef and potato in a spicy, paprika soup, this was delicious, too!

The one negative is that all the food was so good, we were stuffed beyond our ability to eat dessert.  And at Bobke's, they had some beautiful cakes in the case.  You pay at the register, which has a rack full of pastries

designed to tempt you on your way out.  I grabbed a coconut macaroon for her,

a lattice-style cherry strudel

for me.  You can see by the fact that it takes up most of my wife's hand just how big this macaroon was.  I never tried it, but as full as she was, she couldn't stop eating it until it was gone.

The lady who works the register is an older lady with a strong German accent and could not have been nicer.  When it came up in conversation that I was from Pennsylvania, she told me that she was about to go on vacation to visit an old friend.  She said that she would be flying into Scranton.  

Hey JoeRogo, as the unofficial goodwill ambassador of Northeast PA, how did she enjoy her visit?  I hope you guys treated her well.

Bobke's For Lunch
355 W. Wilcox Drive
Sierra Vista, AZ
520-458-8580 

We got back in the car driving towards Douglas, AZ.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/04 16:27:43
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/04 16:59:54 (permalink)
Strudel...'nough said!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 08:03:43 (permalink)
Tuesday June 19, 2018

To get to Douglas, you have to drive through the historic town of Bisbee, which means you pass the famous Lavendar Pit. 

This is a massive open copper mine.  I've been here twice before and didn't bother getting out of the car, but this was Mariton's first time here and she really enjoyed taking photos through the holes in the fence.  You need to see this place in person to truly appreciate just how big it is.

Our first stop upon reaching Douglas was Border Taco

It is located in a small strip mall and you can easily see the international border just down the road from the parking lot.  The inside is roomy,

spiffy and maybe a little sterile.  This is no dive.  When I walked up to the counter to place my order, there was a pretty young lady in a Mexican border patrol uniform waiting for her to go order.  That's a good sign.

In a short amount of time, they brought the food to our table.  First up was chips and an excellent smoky, thick salsa. 

Since tacos are in the name of the restaurant, it makes sense to start there.  We got one each of the asada and cabeza tacos.

During the ordering process, the lady at the counter asked which type of tortillas I wanted.  Of course, I inquired if either are made here and she said no.  So I asked for a recommendation and without hesitation, she said the corn tortilla goes better with cabeza and flour goes better with the asada.  No reason not to take her word for it, but it didn't seem to make a difference to our less discerning taste buds.  Although the asada was just fine, the cabeza was wonderfully tender with just enough chew.  To dress up your tacos, you also get a small container

with limes, cucumbers, cabbage, pico de gallo and a thick avaocado sauce that we both loved.

I went off the board and ordered the shrimp enchiladas,

which along with rice on the side, was a gorgeous plate of food.  The shrimp were on the small side, but with plenty of green and yellow peppers and lots of cheese.  To drink, the best horchata

and jamaica on the trip.  In case you are wondering, the horchata itself wasn't red, that was just the color of the glass.

Even though we ordered at the counter, everyone else who walked in just sat at a table and received waitress service.  Oh well, our first time here and we didn't know.  Either way, the people who work here are friendly.

We loved Border Taco and look forward to returning someday.

Border Taco
103 5th Street
Douglas, AZ
520-364-6196

Needing to take a little break from the food, we stopped in at the Gadsden Hotel.  Just in case the name doesn't sound familiar, this part of Arizona came to belong to the US because of the Gadsden Purchase in 1854.  The hotel was first built in 1907 and then rebuilt after a fire in 1929.  Needless to say, many famous people have stayed here and the hotel has been used in several movies.  Apparently it is also supposed to be haunted, which means I won't be staying here anytime soon.

The reason for our visit is to see the amazing lobby, with the Italian marble staircase, the 42 foot Tiffany stained glass mural and more stained glass skylights.

The setting was so nice, we relaxed in the lobby and one of the ladies working at the front desk told us about the history of the place.  This was a much needed respite in the middle of the day.

But we had more to do, so it was back out into the hot Arizona sun.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/05 08:15:21
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 08:54:47 (permalink)
Channeling your inner CTD with shrimp enchiladas....one of my go to's!  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8451
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 11:06:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/07/05 11:07:42
buffetbuster

The perfect look for a discussion about Mpls and Cleveland!
Although it seems a little incomplete without a pleather apron...
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 13:07:44 (permalink)
SC-
Now that really had me laughing!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 13:10:41 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Channeling your inner CTD with shrimp enchiladas....one of my go to's!  

It takes a really BIG man to channel an "inner CTD." Cliff is no Andre the Giant, I don't believe this is true.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 14:22:33 (permalink)
Tuesday June 19, 2018 (cont.)

Our next lunch stop was La Fiesta Cafe,

housed in a plain, small building.  Before our menus arrived, chips and salsa

were delivered to our table.  The chips were stale, the first instance of this on our trip.  Mariton tried the salsa first and warned me that it was hot.  I tried one, thinking, oh that's not too bad.  It wasn't until I was on my third chip that the delayed heat hit me and there was pain.  Yup, too hot for me.  Mariton enjoyed it so much, the stale chips barely slowed her down.

Of the food we ordered, the first thing I tried was the chicken flauta,

which means flute in Spanish.  Flautas are one of those foods that in theory I should like, but in the real world I rarely do.  It's understood that a crispy shell is a given, but like every other flauta we've tried, the shell was too hard. Not even dipping it in the sour cream helped.  Not off to a great start so far.

Next up was the green chile beef burro. 

The beef inside was moist, almost to the point of being watery.  As you can see there is chopped green chiles and onion also inside.  Great flavor, we both loved this burro.  Even better was the red chile beef chimichanga served enchilada style. 

As mentioned previously, the enchilada style just means that it is covered in sauce or chile.  The waiter asked if I wanted to add guacamole and after the fiery salsa, some guac sounded good.  What I was expecting was the guac on the side, not ladled on top of the chimichanga.  It sure does make for a prettier photo, though.  The tender shredded beef was wonderful and the red chile really brought both the flavor and the heat.  Even though we had already eaten quite a bit on this day, we easily polished off these last two dishes.

The man who waited on us at La Fiesta Café wasn't particularly friendly, but that might have been because he spoke much better Spanish than English.  When we walked in, there was a half dozen tables filled with customers, but by the time we left,

we were the only ones here.  Not really surprising late afternoon on a Tuesday.

As you can tell, we really liked La Fiesta Café, which means so far, Douglas is two for two.

We got in the car and entered the address for our next stop and it was only 450 feet away.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/05 14:38:49
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/07/05 21:30:16 (permalink)
Tuesday June 19, 2018 (cont.)

Since we knew we would be eating at three restaurants in small city of Douglas in a short amount of time, my strategy was to save the one we thought would be the best for last.  We guessed that one would be El Burron.  While eating in The Little One in Tucson the day before, we started talking with the two ladies at the table next to us.  One of them was from Douglas, so we mentioned we were headed that way.  The restaurant she told us we absolutely had to visit was El Burron, especially extolling the hamburger.

El Burron was only 450 feet (as a crow flies, of course) from La Fiesta Café, but we still weren't sure we found the right place as there was no sign. 

Only upon entering and asking were we sure we found the correct place.  Unfortunately, the interior doesn't look like the colorful, cheerful place it did in the Roadfood review.  Maybe it was the dark lighting or the lack of any other customers, but the atmosphere was not good.  I ordered at the counter, which had a menu board overhead.

At this point, I know that having already eaten so much on this day was taking it's toll, because nothing on the menu was appealing.  I did order a few things and sat down.  The food took much longer than we were expecting and I was about to go check on it when they delivered it to our table by the window.

First up, the cheeseburger. 

Although nice to look at, it was deep fried to the point of being well, well done.  Not good.  Knowing how much Mariton loves tripe, I got her a tripe taco,

something neither one of us had seen before.  Unfortunately, this meat was hard as rock and almost reminded us of chicharrones, just without the flavor.  She had just a couple pieces of the tripe and said she was done.

The one decent item we ate here was the asada burro with cheese,

but even here the meat was overcooked.  This we did eat about half of, before deciding that was enough.

Even though El Burron was a disappointment, Douglas still treated us well.  As Meatloaf would say, two out of three ain't bad.

El Burron
1008 N. Cochise Drive
Douglas, AZ
520-805-0141

Mariton is not nearly the dessert lover I am, but she did say she was needing something sweet to get the taste of the tripe out of her mouth.  Since we were now returning to Tucson, we stopped back in Bisbee and pulled in to High Desert Market and Café,

where I have had delicious cake and pie in the past.

They have a nice selection of cake slices in the case

and baked goods out on the counter.  Mariton was in the ladies room, so I picked out a pineapple upside down cake

for her.  This cake was not as fresh as it could have been, but was still moist and we both hungrily dug in until it was gone.  My choice was the chocolate banana cake,

with peanut butter icing, which tasted even older.  Mariton helped herself to the coffee, which she said was cold.  Things just weren't going our way right now.  I still really like this place and would not hesitate to stop in the next time through.

High Desert Market and Cafe
203 Tombstone Canyon
Bisbee, AZ
520-423-6775

We were amazed to see some people eating on the front patio as the heat was especially brutal at this time.  The car said it was 118, which was the highest we saw during our time in Arizona.  Before leaving Bisbee, I had to stop for gas.  I grabbed a squeegee to scrape the bugs off the windshield and as soon as you put the fluid on the glass, it evaporated immediately.  By the time I turned the squeegee around, I was scraping nothing but dry glass.  It was that hot out.

Since Mariton had never been to Tombstone before, we did to a quick stop.  Luckily for me, just about all of the stores and phony old west attractions were already closed for the day.  We did get a few photos,

but we were both tired enough, we just wanted to go back to the hotel.

Despite thoughts of a raspados stop, we went straight back to the hotel in Tucson for the night.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/07/05 21:35:18
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5