Helpful ReplyHot!Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way...

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12304
2018/06/25 14:42:41 (permalink)

Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way...

We just returned from a week vacation in the Grand Canyon State.  If you enjoy reading someone complaining about heat, then you will love this trip report!

We were originally planning on spending this week in New England.  But my wife Mariton was showing no enthusiasm for the trip and my memories of how crowded Cape Cod and Acadia are in summer made us look elsewhere.  In fact, up until just a few days before our flight into Phoenix, I was seriously contemplating cancelling the flights and doing the drive around Lake Michigan, a trip I have been wanting to take for decades.  Obviously, we went to Arizona and had a great time.  Now about that heat....

Friday June 15, 2018

We had a direct flight to Phoenix and the four hour flight was made easier as we got an emergency exit row, with an empty seat between us.  After collecting our luggage, we took our first steps outside and the heat clubbed us over our heads like a mugger.  It was brutal!  We had been watching the 109 degree temps in Phoenix all week, but it should be fine, because it's a dry heat, right?  Sorry, no, 109 is still 109.  Since it was now 9:45 at night, it was probably only 95 out, but we both knew this would be an adjustment.

Wanting something close to the airport, we drove straight to Welcome Diner,

which gets positive reviews on line.  With the cool neon sign, it sure does look nice.  We also immediately noticed we were the oldest customers by about 20 years.  Many were sitting outside and it seemed there was a window

to place your order for outside dining or to go.  Instead, we grabbed seats at the counter,

which allows a view into the kitchen.  As it turns out, that would be a bad thing. 

Once the hostess sat us down, we saw all the waitresses walk by for at least 10 minutes, with no one talking to us.  We still didn't even have menus yet.  Of course I made the obvious unwelcome diner joke.  While killing time, I saw a young lady in the kitchen scraping off all the burnt parts of a bun just off the grill, to be used in a burger.  Note to self:  don't order the burger.  Finally, I stopped one young lady whooshing by and told her we hadn't received service yet.  She apologized, got us menus and was friendly and helpful from here on.  Here is a menu page,

which shows what kind of food is offered.

They do have some unusual beverage choices here and I ordered the hibiscus lemonade. 

Refreshing, with nice fruity flavor.  As you can see though, it is filled up all the way to the top, plus they added a lemon.  This was going to be difficult to drink without making a mess, especially so since no straw was provided.  

Mariton loves fruit, especially the fresh tropical fruits that were so readily available to her growing up in the Philippines.  So she ordered the Jackfruit Po' Boy, which came out looking like this. 

Needless to say, the "soft baguette" was now burnt beyond recognition.  Even worse, Mariton couldn't even identify which part of her sandwich was supposed to be the jackfruit.  She had just a couple of bites and pushed it away.  As a side, we tried the brussels sprouts,

but these were also charred beyond repair.  She was not happy.  My choice was the Bumblebee biscuit sandwich. 

The biscuits were rock hard and quickly discarded, but the fried chicken/honey combination is always a winner in my book.

The waitress tried to talk us into pie for dessert, but they only had one flavor, which was some kind of smoked chocolate pecan mashup.  I don't like pecans and Mariton just wanted to get to the hotel, so we passed.

Our experience at Welcome Diner was not the best, but every place has an off night.  Most of the crowd around us was enjoying themselves.  They were also all imbibing, too.

Welcome Diner
902 E. Broadway Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ
520-622-5100

We were happy to settle into our hotel for the night, knowing that much better meals are coming...

In case anyone is wondering about the title of this trip report, it comes from here.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/26 07:15:18
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5422
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 15:28:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/06/26 06:51:18
Want some cheeze with that whine?

No one to blame but yourselves so far. Do not go to Phoenix in the Summer, you know better than that. November thru March are safe, otherwise go there at your own risk.

That diner concept sounds completely against El Cortado's rules. It is both regionally inappropriate and focused on a hipster clientele (they even offer upscale [CORRECTION] grown-up Mac & Cheese), you were begging for a disaster. I'll bet that all the beers were IPA's, too. Listen to Dale next time.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/06/25 17:14:14
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 808
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 15:33:25 (permalink)
Mark Lindsay, lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raider's of course.   BTW, Should have gone to Maine. 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 15:34:08 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Want some cheeze with that whine?

No one to blame but yourselves so far. Do not go to Phoenix in the Summer, you know better than that. November thru March are safe, otherwise go there at your own risk.

That diner concept sounds completely against El Cortado's rules. It is both regionally inappropriate and focused on a hipster clientele (they even offer upscale Mac & Cheese), you were begging for a disaster. I'll bet that all the beers were IPA's, too. Listen to Dale next time.

But it's a dry heat!  Besides that, I know some people who even willingly lived there.

Landing late in a city can be an issue finding good eats, especially when you are tired and don't want to WANDER too far away from the hotel.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/25 15:35:36
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 15:39:16 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Mark Lindsay, lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raider's of course.   BTW, Should have gone to Maine. 

Two years ago I went on a New England trip by myself.  Rte.1 and Acadia National Park were absolutely bumper to bumper.  I would much prefer putting up with heat than that.  

Besides, I love Maine way too much to not get there before the year is through.  It just might be in December when everything is closed!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 17:16:01 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
El Cortado.  Hmm. 

I know from context who this is, but how he got this new nickname is something I hope to learn someday

TJ,

What happens on the Roadfood Crawls, stays on the Roadfood Crawls. Join us in Cleveland next year if you wish to find out.

Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22926
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 19:43:11 (permalink)
Heck, he couldn't even make it to the Cincinnati Crawl.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13882
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 19:48:36 (permalink)
You wanted to drive around Lake Michigan?  Sounds pretty good but Roz and I drove around Lake Superior starting in Detroit and ended up in Minneapolis- St. Paul.  Solid two day trip.  Spent the first night in Sault St. Marie and had great whitefish. Second night in Thunderbay we ate at a Finnish restaurant called Hoito.  Lotsa Finns there.  Old hotel overlooked lake Superior.  Next night in Duluth.  Great drive from Thunderbay to Duluth.  One of our great drives in the USA.

I spent a lot of time in AZ both on business and pleasure.  Brother and I raced NHRA in Phoenix and I had business's in Phoenix and Tucson.  Great trip from Tucson to Rocky Point.  Sorta spooky from AZ border to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) as we drove about 60 miles through nothing but flatland desert.  We peg it at about 110MPH.  Beautiful town on the cliffs built for wealthy AZ folks.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Pe%C3%B1asco

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 20:04:52 (permalink)
Saturday, June 16, 2018

Matt's Big Breakfast is a place that has been written about in the Roadfood forums for many years.  When Michael Stern mentions in his review he went there three times on the same trip to Phoenix, that really catches my attention.  The Tempe location was only five minutes away from our hotel, so we went there rather than driving into downtown.  This Matt's is directly across the street from Sun Devil Stadium and part of an attractive business complex. 

With this being Saturday, it was mostly deserted, but I imagine it is bustling on weekdays.  We were the first customers in the door when they opened at 6:30AM.

The inside has the look of a classic diner,

well polished with counter seats and booths.  But the seats with the best natural light are the tables near the long rows of windows, so we grabbed one of those.  This fun mural took up one entire wall.

Here is the routine my wife and I have settled into.  We sit down at the table and I immediately pick up the menu.  She immediately checks her Facebook account.  Typically she never bothers looking at a menu, as it is my job to find her something she will like.  Most of the time, I will ask her, "What do you think about...?"  95% of the time, she says that sounds good.  The other 5%, I get the "What are you possibly thinking look."  On this occasion, she was in the ladies room when the friendly young waiter came to the table.  He was surprised to hear I was ready to order without her.  

I ended up getting two entrees, figuring she would help me with those, plus her all-time favorite breakfast dish, steel cut oats.  When a different server brought over the two entrees, she asked who got the salami and eggs.  I said, "I did."  When she started to set the pork chop down in front of Mariton, I said, "Actually, that's mine, too!"  You had to be there to see the look on her face.  This is what happens when my wife leaves me unsupervised even for just a few moments!

I did not try the steel cut oats,

but it was a big hit with Mariton.  It arrived in typical fashion, accompanied by milk, brown sugar and raisins and she polished it off in no time.  You get your choice of toast, whole wheat for her, 

sourdough for me.  Both came with excellent housemade blueberry jam.

Out of my two breakfasts, I concentrated on the salami scramble, buttery eggs with long strips of succulent salami.

Still, the star of this plate is those world-class, crispy hash browns.  Based on the photo in the review, I was disappointed that mine weren't darker, but they were perfect just the way they were.  I'm trying to think of another Roadfood restaurant with hash browns this good and the only one that comes to mind is 13 Coins in Seattle.

The pork chop dish is known as The Chop & Chick. 

I like how it glistens in this photo.  Not overly thick and juicy, it still had fine porcine flavor.  If this was in Iowa, I would have expected more.  In Arizona, this is still a good breakfast chop.  Mariton is a big fan of pork chops, so this part of the breakfast she helped me with.  The home fries on this plate are further proof that Matt's has a way with potatoes.  Big chunks of spud, infused with onion and rosemary, these were terrific.  Unfortunately, not having the appetite of the 18 year old version of myself, something had to get left behind and it was a big portion of the home fries.

It didn't help that I also had to have a side of bacon, too. 

But to have missed out on this extra-thick, well done, peppery bacon, would have been criminal.  I loved the hashbrowns here, but that bacon is what I will be dreaming about long after this meal.

To drink, fresh squeezed orange juice for me, coffee for her.

When Mariton came out of the ladies room, she was now speaking on the phone in her native language, which meant it was a family member on the other end.  As she was talking, she took her first sip of the coffee and gave me a quick look and head nod that reminded me of the scene in Pulp Fiction between Winston Wolf and Jimmy.  Once off the phone, she raved about how strong it was.

Matt's Big Breakfast
400 E. Rio Salada Parkway
Tempe, AZ
480-967-5156

Since we were out and about, we made a stop at Hurt's Donuts.  Their sense of humor is on display immediately with this sign

next to the front door.  My cousin Mark started a donut shop about a year ago, so I sent the photo to him.  He got a big laugh about it and did mention that the solicitors are there non-stop.  The shop logo is a winner, too.

As we walked in, we were greeted loudly, in a classic New York accent, by a man sitting at a table.  Behind the counter came another greeting, with the same accent, letting us know just how lucky we were, since the huge apple fritters just came out of the oven and we absolutely had to have one.  Now, I'm not one who normally goes for the hard sell, but I do happen to love apple fritters and a warm one just out of the oven sounded pretty darn good.  

While taking photos of all the colorful donuts under glass,

the man taking our order told us something akin to, "If you really want to pump up your photos, you'll get a photo of me."  So, I did.  This is TJ,

who had an endless supply of one liners (especially about the Jets) and kept us entertained throughout our visit.  While taking the photo, the other man, obviously the boss, bemoaned, "Oh great, like his ego isn't big enough.  Now he'll probably demand a raise."  We loved these guys!

As for our haul, the apple fritter was indeed piping hot, sugary sweet, crusty and soft in all the right spots.  And as you can see, also enormous.  Mariton and I each picked out a donut, her red velvet with cream cheese icing,

me peanut butter Oreo. 

Both were fine, but not as good as the fritter.

I did not find out until later that they are a chain, as zaatar mentioned on Instagram that she is getting one soon near her in Kansas City.

Hurts Donut
2161 E. University Drive
Tempe, AZ
480-765-2101

It was back to the hotel to get ready for the day.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/26 07:21:14
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8576
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 20:13:58 (permalink)
Wintahaba

No, because then the thread title would be Barry Manilow lyrics.

Mrs. C and I enjoyed our visit to Matt's last year, although it was a different location.  Very good food and the home fries are a real winner.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5610
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/25 20:47:21 (permalink)
I’ve seen no Orange slices on plates.
That used to be standard at breakfast places. Things have changed.
They probably have to get their oranges from Florida. :)
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 06:53:11 (permalink)
I figured you for the Bumblebee to open the trip....must've been out of the Honeybee!  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 06:56:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/06/27 06:37:06
I ended up getting two entrees, figuring she would help me with those, plus her all-time favorite breakfast dish, steel cut oats.  When a different server brought over the two entrees, she asked who got the salami and eggs.  I said, "I did."  When she started to set the pork chop down in front of Mariton, I said, "Actually, that's mine, too!"  You had to be there to see the look on her face.  This is what happens when my wife leaves me unsupervised even for just a few moments!

A move right out of the Sultan's playbook....how embarrassing and surprising you choose to stay.  
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 06:59:09 (permalink)
Hurt's Donuts...did I mention to you I know the owner....

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 07:05:29 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Hurt's Donuts...did I mention to you I know the owner....

You did.  I even went in and asked for Richard, but no one recognized the name.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 07:06:42 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Wintahaba

No, because then the thread title would be Barry Manilow lyrics.

Mrs. C and I enjoyed our visit to Matt's last year, although it was a different location.  Very good food and the home fries are a real winner.

Do you happen to remember what you had for the entrée?  The menu is rather small and I am curious about the other dishes.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10540
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 07:32:29 (permalink)
buffetbuster,
I was following your trip on instagram as well as Mariton's posts on facebook
Glad you're doing a trip report too.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 07:44:32 (permalink)
buffetbuster
ScreamingChicken

Do you happen to remember what you had for the entrée?  The menu is rather small and I am curious about the other dishes.

My wife had the Five Spot sandwich w/o onions and I had huevos rancheros, which aren't on the regular menu but were the special that Monday morning.  A plate of those would taste good right now!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 07:50:37 (permalink)
WJ-
Thanks!

SC-
Oooh, I bet Matt's would do a really good huevos rancheros.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 12:13:36 (permalink)

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 12:20:32 (permalink)
SC-
Looks good!  What was in the cup?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 15:54:39 (permalink)
Pinto beans with some cheese crumbled on top.  It was kind of messy but I ate part of the meal by wrapping eggs, fries and beans in a tortilla.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 18:58:21 (permalink)
buffetbuster
But it's a dry heat!  Besides that, I know some people who even willingly lived there.

Landing late in a city can be an issue finding good eats, especially when you are tired and don't want to WANDER too far away from the hotel.

buffetbuster,

You really can learn something from this guy. With meticulous planning, you too can avoid future dining disasters. Consider mending your ways.

Very respectfully,

jrp
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/26 19:47:09 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster

buffetbuster,

You really can learn something from this guy. With meticulous planning, you too can avoid future dining disasters. Consider mending your ways.

Very respectfully,

jrp

Oh come on...now we're comparing apples to oranges. Contrary to what one person  may think, buffetbuster always plans as meticulously as I do...The one difference is...Arizona was "a trip" to buffetbuster...My trip is THE TRIP.... there's only ONE of those....
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 06:58:15 (permalink)
Two questions:

How were the donuts?  They look good.  Were they moist or dry?  Toppings complimentary?  Did you miss out on any donuts?  Did the fritter have apple chunks?  Was it iced?  Thin, perfect or thick?  Etc....

The bacon...love the seasoning, was it crisp or sorta limp?  Would you order it again?  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 07:47:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Oh come on...now we're comparing apples to oranges. Contrary to what one person  may think, buffetbuster always plans as meticulously as I do

I booked the hotels and car rental two days before we were supposed to leave!

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 07:55:13 (permalink)
buffetbuster
wanderingjew
Oh come on...now we're comparing apples to oranges. Contrary to what one person  may think, buffetbuster always plans as meticulously as I do

I booked the hotels and car rental two days before we were supposed to leave!

I did that once or twice  and learned my lesson  the hard way when I found out the following
1- Nothing was available
2- Hotels and Rental cars   were through the roof

In fact I tried to do that on my recent trip to Delaware thinking I'd stay in Dover for one night of the trip- there was one hotel available- the Super 8 for $180 !!!  I ended up staying both nights in Wilmington at the Marriott Courtyard and was upgraded to a  Suite all for $72 a night! As a result I never did make it to Countrie Eatery for breakfast.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2018/06/27 07:56:39
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 09:01:51 (permalink)
Saturday June 16, 2018

While we were out driving for breakfast, we noticed a nearby shopping center that had a Nordstrom Rack.  Back in February, we were staying in downtown Chicago and Mariton decided not to purchase a pair of designer sunglasses and has regretted it ever since.  Now, everywhere we go, we have to stop at all of a city's Nordstrom Rack stores to try and find it again.  Considering we are going to five-six restaurants a day, how can I complain?  

After Mariton shopped for a solid hour and I sat in the car, catching up on emails and posting on Instagram, we were ready for lunch. We chose Rito's Mexican Food and we surprised to see that there was no indoor seating. 

There were a couple of seats in front of the place and they apparently have a patio out back, but we never saw it.  After perusing the menu board

for a few moments, I placed our order at the window.  To kill time, they had cornhole on tv. 

Yes, you read that right, cornhole was on tv!  Ten minutes later, the food was ready and we dug in from the front seats of our car.

First up was the mixed with bean chimichanga enchilada style. 

What we learned is that enchilada style means it is topped with cheese in a generous portion of a red or green chile sauce.  This was a massive portion size, loaded with tender beef and the lip tingling red sauce was heavenly.

To try the green, we also got a burro green,

but not served enchilada style.  This item looks rather sad without all the chile sauce on top and we mostly ignored it until the chimichanga was all gone. But, once we bit into it, we were wowed by the flavor and the heat of the green chile. 

This burro was not as beefy, but we both thought this was even better than the chimichanga.

Rito's Mexican Food
907 N. 14th Street
Phoenix, AZ
602-262-9842

Still having plenty of appetite, next stop was one of Mariton's favorite types of meals, bbq.  Hap's Pit Barbecue is in a small strip mall

with only three businesses, all of which are restaurants.  Almost like a mini-food court.

The man who took our order here was really nice, answered all of my usual questions and made being here for the first time an easy experience.  We don't know for sure, but we think he was the owner.  

In the review, Michael Stern especially liked the lamb and the pulled chicken, so we chose a combination plate with those two meats. 

Lamb is a favorite of Mariton's and since I found what we received a little of the greasy side, I was happy to let her enjoy it.  We both agreed that the smoky, tender pulled chicken was the best dish at Hap's and we merrily competed for each bite until it was quickly dispatched.  In the review, the cornbread crumbled, but ours

broke apart in big, easy to eat chunks and we both enjoyed the sweetness of this side.

Because I love all things ham, I also got a pit ham sandwich. 

It came covered with a sticky, sweet bbq sauce that was probably overkill.  The ham was sliced thin and also had a pleasant smoky flavor.  Nice soft bun, too.  I would get this again.  What we wouldn't get is the lifeless, boring potato salad.

They do have cobblers available for dessert and another customer getting take-out highly recommended them, but we passed, as by now we were full.

Hap's certainly isn't the best barbecue in Phoenix (more on that later), but we did enjoy our visit and would HAPpily return.

Hap's Pit Barbecue
4801 E. Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ
602-267-7878

Now, we needed to do some walking, to get our appetite back for dinner.

Much more to come...
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 09:43:08 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Two questions:

How were the donuts?  They look good.  Were they moist or dry?  Toppings complimentary?  Did you miss out on any donuts?  Did the fritter have apple chunks?  Was it iced?  Thin, perfect or thick?  Etc....

The bacon...love the seasoning, was it crisp or sorta limp?  Would you order it again?  

Above average.  I thought the red velvet was a little dry.  Yes, they mentioned I had pretty blue eyes.  Yes, all the ones we did not order.  Yes, big ones.  More like glazed.  My mom says I'm perfect, but actually I'm on the thick side.

Definitely crisp, but not overly so.  I wish I could order some right now.

Thanks for the questions.  This was harder than the Jeopardy! test.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way... 2018/06/27 10:47:05 (permalink)
Saturday June 16, 2018

We both love visiting botanical gardens and we read that the Desert Botanical Gardens of Phoenix were especially attractive.  Even though this was now early afternoon, it was actually a somewhat pleasant day in Phoenix, since there was a thick cover of clouds and the temps were in the low 90's.  This I can handle.

There are several loop trails around the botanical gardens and we walked them all.  Lots of different cactus varieties, beautiful flowers and even critters such as lizards, birds and squirrels.  Here are a handful of photos from our visit:

We spent a little more than two hours here and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  We would still rank the botanical gardens in St. Louis as our favorite, but this place comes highly receommended.

On this day, we wanted to get to our hotel fairly early, since we were actually staying at a really nice place, the Hyatt Andaz Resort in Scottsdale.  We don't normally stay at such high end hotels, but decided to splurge for the one night.  This was made possible as all the other hotels were so cheap.  Our rates for the nights at the Hyatt Places in Phoenix were just $71.00 a night, and for the three nights in Tucson, coming in at $66.00.  Apparently, they have a hard time filling up hotels in Arizona in summer.  Gee, I wonder why....

Since we were headed to Scottsdale, we made one more food stop, this time at a place called The Stand.  They are quite a bit out of town in a rural area, so we were really hoping to get Travelin Manned.  The first thing we saw was these signs

next to the road and we knew we were in the right place.

Even though the street address says Scottsdale, The Stand feels a million miles away from the tony Phoenix suburb. It is, well, how do you describe this

architecture?  Thatched hut, maybe?  I'd bring up flotsam if we weren't so far from the ocean.  Whatever you want to call it, we were thoroughly charmed by the place immediately!

There were three ladies working, two women, one young teenage girl and they were all Native Americans, as were the customers sitting around.  We were greeted warmly and I looked over the menu board. 

Mariton was distracted by the puppy

that was roaming around.

When I told Mariton that they had menudo, she immediately said to get her a bowl.  But, as you can see, they have both red and white, which was new to us.  One of the customers showed the bowl of red menudo that she was eating, which looked like the typical dish you would see served around the Southwest.  Wanting to try something new, Mariton asked for the white. 

This was a very large cup and although Mariton approved of the mouth feel  (when eating menudo she always mentions how it feels it in her mouth), she said it was light on the tripe.  The young lady eating the red mentioned how spicy hers was, so Mariton regretted not getting the red instead.  But, I do give her credit for trying something new.

My first item was the combo taco,

with chunks of ultra-tender pork, red and green chiles, beans, lettuce, tomato and onion.  You can get your taco in either fry bread or in tortillas.  Since you can get tortillas just about anywhere, we went with the fry bread.  It may be hard to tell, but this fry bread taco is humungous.  And the fry bread is thick enough that it was practically impossible to pull it apart with the meager provided plastic silverware.  As good as this was, we did not come close to finishing it. 

That was mostly because I was so excited to start on the Navajo taco. 

My single favorite moment was when I asked theyoung lady taking our order how hot was the green chile.  She turned to the women in the kitchen and asked the same question and they replied, "The green is running hot today!"  I loved that exchange!  Needless to say, I chose the green.  They did ask if I wanted onions, which was an affirmative, but all the other toppings (cheese, tomato, lettuce and beans) to this taco come automatically.  You can't see the green chile because it is buried underneath, but it was indeed hot.  This portion was so big, it took up an entire large to-go container, but the combination of ingredients, especially that green chile, was so magical, I ate every bite.  That green chile was so good, it makes me wonder what it be like if we were one state further east and they sold green chile cheeseburgers!

For dessert, something that seems out of the 1950's, strawberry Jello cake. 

The cake part was nice and spongy, but the portions of the cake where the red jello ran into, making it so soft and sweet, were the best parts.  The topping seemed like Cool Whip, which was fine, since some fancy topping would be out of place.  This uncomplicated cake was the perfect dessert for The Stand.

Although there were a couple of bench seats, there is one table underneath the shade,

so we ate there.  Both the puppy and her mother were frequent visitors while we were eating.  Deluxe dining this is not, but I can't think of better setting for this kind of food.

We saw one car with an elderly driver pull in and one of the ladies went over, took her order

and then delivered it, so they didn't have to get our of the car.  At one point, a fire engine clammered by with both dogs howling in tune with the siren.   Before we left, I had the nice ladies pose in front for a quick photo. 

That's the owner on the left and her niece.  Nice people.

As you can tell, we loved The Stand.  It has been around for 10 years so far and I hope it stays around for many years longer.

The Stand
3996 N Alma School Road
Scottsdale, AZ
480-519-1108

Even though the address says Scottsdale, they told me it is actually considered part of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.

Before heading back to town, we saw a sign for tamales

and we had to stop.  The Native American woman was disappointed we didn't get a whole dozen, but was still happy to sell us three. 

She did not want to be photographed, which is why there is no photo of the building, since she was sitting in a chair in front.  We ate these in our room as a late night snack.  These were fine, maybe a little on the dry side, but we would be eating much better tamales soon in Tucson.

At the hotel, Mariton spent hours swimming in the salt water pool, while I was quite content to catch up on my sleep.

Much more to come...
post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/06/27 13:11:26
Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5