Arkansas restaurant....catfish, brown beans, and green tomato pickles

Author
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 722
2018/10/19 17:29:12 (permalink)

Arkansas restaurant....catfish, brown beans, and green tomato pickles

Spending a few days in Northern Arkansas with the family....beautiful scenery.   Stopped for supper at a place near Mountain View, Anglers Resort, on the White River...   Many probably already know the White River area is known for great trout float fishing; and I recall doing this several times as a teen with my dad, uncle, and grandfather....but I digress.  At any rate, had supper at this place.  Our server recommended the catfish platter.   Seemed like a good place for catfish, too, and it was.  Had the medium catfish dinner, with all the trimmings.   Excellent hot and fresh fillets of farm raised cat, I think there were 3-4 fillets in all.   Cornmeal in the well seasoned breading, check.  Excellent non greasy small tender hush puppies, check.  (wish they had a bit more onion).  Good coleslaw.  Fries were the standard battered kind, not usually worth eating, IMO, (and I didn't miss them) but you can get a baked potato if you want.   What set the meal apart was the brown beans and green tomato pickles.  Those beans, brown pintos cooked tender, almost, but not yet, falling apart, with a savory sauce chock full of diced ham.   Delicious.  And I had forgotten how well green tomato pickles go with catfish....you can ask for a bit of sliced raw onion to go with them, too.   These two side dishes made the catfish platter.  Sorry the pic of my platter turned out too dark.  It really was quite good.

My wife had the fried chicken and enjoyed it; said it was fresh and well seasoned.  Our teenage son had, yes, alligator.   It was freshly breaded, served on two large skewers.   Had a spicy dipping sauce alongside, also with fries.  I'm not a big alligator fan, but I had a bite and it was tasty; quite good actually.   They had a pie case I wanted to investigate, but honestly, I was too full.

A seat at the window overlooking the river made my atmosphere-conscious spouse happy (I'm always too busy eating to appreciate atmosphere.)   And the drive through the hills is pleasant.  Mountain View has some great attractions, too, like the Ozark Folk Center.   

http://anglerswhiteriver.com/anglers-menu/

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/ozark-folk-center-state-park

4 Replies Related Threads

BayouCityNosh
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: Arkansas restaurant....catfish, brown beans, and green tomato pickles 2018/10/19 17:45:06 (permalink)
    Sounds like a terrific meal.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8933
    Re: Arkansas restaurant....catfish, brown beans, and green tomato pickles 2018/10/21 11:15:21 (permalink)
    Thanks, Grillman!  My in-laws live in Bull Shoals and my wife visits them once or twice a year, so maybe I can convince them that they should make the drive to Mountain View sometime.  And if you think the beans would reheat well she could bring me back a bucketful.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re: Arkansas restaurant....catfish, brown beans, and green tomato pickles 2018/10/21 12:48:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report. I love good fried catfish and trimmings. I could make a meal of those beans. Someday, maybe I can get over my fear of frying and make some fried catfish for myself.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Arkansas restaurant....catfish, brown beans, and green tomato pickles 2018/11/12 13:25:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report. Never been up to Mountain View. Years ago  we would visit my great aunts in Hot Springs, and one time on our way back to Texas,(dAD was Airforce) we stopped in Little Rock to visit  Great Uncle Bill and his wife, Edna. On the way one year going to Milwaukee(family again) we stopped in Little Rock a second time.  That was all we ever traveled in Arkansas
    My great aunts might have been up that way. I know they would go to Subiaco, where the Benedictine Monks have an abbey.They used to go up that way for retreats.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5