Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola

Author
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
2008/11/30 23:20:16 (permalink)

Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola

Our recent trip from Atlanta to Plant City, FL to Homosassa to Pensacola had some outstanding finds and some not so great to average finds. From Atlanta to Plant City was average. I had forgotten that there are Bob Evan's restaurants in Florida and my husband likes their sunshine skillet. We stopped in Ocala around 3:00 and then didn't eat dinner. Saturday we enjoyed judging at the Plant City Pig Jam and then headed north to Homosassa. We stayed at the Riverside Resort in Homosassa and they had a restaurant so we decided to eat there. All I have to say about that experience is that I hope they were having an off night. On Sunday we enjoyed an outstanding morning swimming with manatees. What a wonderful experience! As part of our tour we were given two $10.00 coupons for Crackers Bar and Grill http://www.crackersbargrillandtiki.com/. Since we were both cold we started with clam chowder which was very good. I had a fried grouper sandwich and DH had fish and chips

Both were very good and way more food than two people could eat. We could have easily ordered the fish and chips and shared the meal.

Going back and forth between Homosassa and Crystal River we passed what looked like a local watering hole

but the sign suggested more:

As a new member of Roadfood.com I felt it my duty to report back on at least one roadhouse, right? So we took a chance and went in for dinner. Right away we knew we were in a local watering hole because the six individuals sitting at the bar all turned around and gave us the once over. We were shown to a table in the restaurant area where only one other couple was sitting.

Almost immediately someone, who we later learned was the cook, came out to entertain us with a magic trick.

After our server took our order, and our cook showed us another magic trick, we began looking around. What is the story of this place, we wonder. And we found out by reading a card on the table:

Leon Wilkeson is quite literally known the world over as Bass Guitarist for the legendary Rock N Roll Hall of Fame band Lynyrd Skynyrd. For over thirty years his colorful personality complemented his musicianship, endearing him to millions.

Leon's obligations to the band kept him away from another passion he held, and that, quite simply, was to create a restaurant where entertaining the guests was as important as feeding them.

To help complete Leon's vision his nephew, Mitch Simmons, and wife Lorraine, along with the help of Leon's son Lee Wilkeson, and Leon's sister Marlene Wilkeson Lusk have brought to you this establishment.

As a lifelong resident of North Florida Leon and the rest of his band mates couldn't help but be influenced by the music of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and the Zydeco music of Louisiana. They sing of it often in their own music. Leon's appreciation for the down home music and cooking is the perfect marriage, providing our guests with a unique dining experience. Therefore we are proud to bring you...

Neon Leon's

Zydeco Steakhouse

And to give credence to the story you look around and find Lynyrd Skynyrd show posters, pictures, and ...

a hat

and a guitar

We started our meal by sharing a wonderful bowl of "bayou bisque" (which I failed to photograph). It had a wonderful seasoning that I couldn't quite put my finger on and of course this was their "secret recipe". Nevertheless, it was delicious. For my entree I chose Seafood 'etouffee described as "Cajun cookin' meets French cuisine - shrimp, scallops, perfect peppers, onions in a rich creamy sauce".

and my husband had the special for the evening, "Catfish Louisiana" which was fried catfish topped with a crawfish stuffing and covered with crawfish 'etouffee with roasted potatoes on the side.

This was some of the most delicious food I have put in my mouth in a very long time. My only regret is that I didn't save room for the Blackberry cobbler with ice cream. Shame on me!!

Of course the owner, Mitch Simmons came out to find out how our meal was and I told him about reviewing his restaurant on Roadfood.net.

He told me that they try not to over season the food but rather use the flavors of seafood, the finest red and yellow peppers and subtle sauces to enhance their dishes. I can assure you that they have succeeded in this endeavor and I highly recommend this place to anyone interested in cajun meals. Of course their menu also includes appetizers including fried green tomatoes, various fried veggies, crab cakes, whimpy burgers; a lunch menu of cold (turkey, ham, chicken, roast beef) sandwiches; hot sandwiches (fish, crab cake, french dip, beef or chicken philly, patty melt or hamburger), lunch portions of cajun dinners including Rad Creole, Chicken gumbo, Jambalaya and seafood etouffee. Their dinner menu includes fish and chips, chicken dishes, country fried steak or chicken, tilapia with stuffed crab imperial, calypso chicken creole, creamy cajun pasta and steaks and prime rib. Desserts include key lime pie, pineapple upside down cake and Mitch's Blackberry cobbler with Ice Cream.

Prices were reasonable with the bisque costing $2.95 and the seafood 'etouffee - $14.95 and the Catfish Louisiana - $14.95. All of this with entertainment of magic (in all about 6 tricks throughout the evening).

This wonderful restaurant is located at 10350 W. Yulee Drive, Homosassa, FL and they are open Tuesday - Sunday from 11:00 am - 9:00 p.m. If you are ever in this area you are missing a great meal if you don't stop in.

If you drive by after dark you'll only see lights - don't drive past

I will post our Pensacola restaurant visits in a post tomorrow. I assure you, the next post won't be as long.

Wishing I could spend another week in Homossasa, Florida so I could try the blackberry cobbler...
GaDragonfly

13 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8754
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/11/30 23:38:08 (permalink)
    Great report....and that catfish dish looks great!!
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/01 01:58:28 (permalink)
    Have to put that one on the map,sorry never been there have the address, great report. Did you go all the way across 98. To many to list would take days and only one handed at the moment, wrong one too.
    Have to learn from the best BuffetBuster, order the cobbler while you wait for your meal, that man is one serious dessert maniac.
    this why I don't post where to eat, never know what people want, There is a Bob Evans close to I-4 AND 75 split. Fried mush.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/01 06:09:21 (permalink)
    That place looks terrific! Thanks Dragonfly!
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10303
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/01 09:40:46 (permalink)
    What a mouth watering report.Great Roadfood finds.Looking forward to more..
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/01 23:44:48 (permalink)
    Amazing what you can find on the backroads of this country!..
    Very nice report.. thanks so much for sharing...
    Tara
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/02 00:37:55 (permalink)
    Dragonfly,
    Oh, my! You makin' me miss Florida!
    I can't hardly wait to see what else you put together here. Thank you immensely for posting!
    Wishing I Were There (Florida), Ort. Carlton in Frigid-Aired Athens, Georgia.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/02 16:59:54 (permalink)
    Great post. Talk about starting out with a bang.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/02 17:15:53 (permalink)
    Very nice report. Thanks for posting!
    tracy20
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/02 17:32:41 (permalink)
    oNE wORD! Awesome... Thanks for sharing....
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/02 17:41:33 (permalink)

Great way to introduce yourself. The food looked excellent and the backstory was certainly interesting.

mark
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2039
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/03 18:05:21 (permalink)
    What a find! Thanks!

I have friends in that area who moved from Cape Cod about 10 years ago. I gotta arrange a visit after seeing those photos!
    GaDragonfly1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2008/12/29 23:53:51 (permalink)
    We are going back to the Crystal River/Homosassa area over the MLK holiday weekend so I will have a chance to return to Zydeco's Steakhouse.  As was suggested, I'm going to take a page from BuffetBuster's book and try the Blackberry cobbler before I eat my main meal !!

GaDragonfly
    Cavalier858
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Atlanta to Plant City Fl to Homosassa to Pensacola 2017/01/24 17:03:29 (permalink)
    Zydeco Steakhouse changed ownership last year (2016) it is now Suncoast Diner (Fishbowl Road) Homasassa, Fl.

Great food and large variety of eats.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5