August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/06 19:09:49 (permalink)
rumaki
What a wonderful report! I am salivating over all that pulled pork!

I'm fascinated by the photo of the biscuits at Hominy Grill.  They look exactly like the ones I make, and that is not a compliment.  My husband (he's from New York originally, so what does he know?) likes my biscuits very much, but I've never been satisfied with them, because they don't seem truly "southern" to me.  (They are an old recipe from the Washington Post.)

I have used a recipe out of Cook's Illustrated for pull-apart biscuits that you mix in a food processor, shape by hand, and then bake nestled in a cake pan, which are similar to the biscuits I used to have at the Loveless in Nashville when I was in law school.  But they are a lot more trouble, so I don't make them that often.

I assume that the reason I have been disappointed by so many biscuits is because they are so much work to so really right, or at least right for the way the places I really like does them.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 817
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/06 19:10:12 (permalink)
I'm going to have to give AJ's a try soon. It looks sooo good. B's Cracklin will be waiting when you get back. I have been several times now and almost went back today.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10545
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/06 19:31:10 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

You missed out on probably one of the best bbq joints in South Carolina
Big Boys Original Smokehouse in Columbia
When Michael Stern describes it as "legendary" you know he means business.

I knew that I was going to be missing some great places, and had thought about Big Boys for the night I went to Maurice's, but they were already closed by the time I would have gotten there. And I had planned to go on Sunday evening, but I just couldn't eat any more that day. I hope to do better next time. I was really thrilled with Jackie Hite's, so at least I got that one right!

I hope to hit all three in one day  next year (Jackie Hite's, Big Boy's and Maurice's) and compare
Which Maurice's location did you visit?
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/06 19:46:56 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

I knew that I was going to be missing some great places, and had thought about Big Boys for the night I went to Maurice's, but they were already closed by the time I would have gotten there. And I had planned to go on Sunday evening, but I just couldn't eat any more that day. I hope to do better next time. I was really thrilled with Jackie Hite's, so at least I got that one right!

I hope to hit all three in one day  next year (Jackie Hite's, Big Boy's and Maurice's) and compare

Wow, you're a better man than I am, if you can do all of those in one day!
I was at the original Maurice's, at 1600 Charleston Highway.
I can't wait to read your comparison of the three.
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 641
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/06 20:46:19 (permalink)
Great report!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/06 21:02:28 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

Who says you can't do bbq for breakfast, bbq for lunch and bbq for dinner! 
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 01:24:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

I just can't seem to control myself and eat smaller portions for bbq for breakfast. I could probably manage it with North Carolina sandwiches and sides, but South Carolina buffets............... that would be a problem for me.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 07:44:35 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

I just can't seem to control myself and eat smaller portions for bbq for breakfast. I could probably manage it with North Carolina sandwiches and sides, but South Carolina buffets............... that would be a problem for me.

I usually hold back with the SC buffets only getting the Q and the traditional SC accoutrements that go with it.
So normally I would only get the Q ,  ribs and skins (if available) hash and rice, slaw and hushpuppies. Occasionally if banana pudding or cobbler (preferably peach) is on the buffet I'll get that too.

mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 07:57:12 (permalink)
Great report and you are correct. Grady's is the best!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10365
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 08:20:35 (permalink)
Fantastic report!
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 11:05:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

I usually hold back with the SC buffets only getting the Q and the traditional SC accoutrements that go with it.
So normally I would only get the Q ,  ribs and skins (if available) hash and rice, slaw and hushpuppies. Occasionally if banana pudding or cobbler (preferably peach) is on the buffet I'll get that too.

I can't resist fried chicken if it's on a buffet (or at Grady's), and I always want biscuits for breakfast. On the other hand, I haven't developed a taste for the hash, but I love when there's rice with sausage. Can't resist the hush puppies, either. 
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 12:04:40 (permalink)
Awesome report as usual! My late Dad (from Maine) made biscuits every week and were awesome. He said his key was Bakewell Cream, but it could not be an old can.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7072
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 15:06:47 (permalink)
That was truly wonderful! 
They certainly know how to eat in the Carolinas.
Nothin' could be finer.

Thank you!

Jim
Ralph Melton
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1084
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 15:41:10 (permalink)
Lovely report. We're planning a trip through South Carolina and Georgia, and this trip will be an inspiration.
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1429
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 16:26:11 (permalink)
The photos of the treats from Back in the Day are marvelous!  I can almost taste them!

Thanks!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22973
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/07 22:26:51 (permalink)
Wow! And you even got to eat in my favorite restaurant in the world -- Lizard's Thicket. The food's fine, but you can't beat the name with a two-by-four .
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 817
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/08 10:38:01 (permalink)
David I loved everything about this trip. I feel very lucky to live not too far from a lot of these places. Savannah is a gem and if you or anyone ever want a companion or a driver when in the area just give me a shout... I hope you dont mind if I add a  link. Jesse Blanco covers the food scene in Savannah like no other. 
http://eatitandlikeit.com/where-america-eats-savannah/#axzz4JU5ilaAR

Watch the video without your mouth watering. You cant do it.

PS, I have to get back to Jackie Hite's SOON
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/09/08 11:58:26 (permalink)
chickenplucker
David I loved everything about this trip. I feel very lucky to live not too far from a lot of these places. Savannah is a gem and if you or anyone ever want a companion or a driver when in the area just give me a shout... I hope you dont mind if I add a  link. Jesse Blanco covers the food scene in Savannah like no other. 
http://eatitandlikeit.com/where-america-eats-savannah/#axzz4JU5ilaAR

Watch the video without your mouth watering. You cant do it.

PS, I have to get back to Jackie Hite's SOON

Thanks for the link. It was fun to watch, and, yes, mouth-watering. I enjoyed seeing places that I've walked through, and wondered why he didn't mention Leopold's! But I understand the focus was on different things. I liked Sandfly when I was there last November, but went to the original one on Sandfly. I think there have been several people on this forum that have said the one in the train car downtown is better. I'll have to try that one on a future visit. It's hard to try new things when I'm going to A-J's for three meals in three days!
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/11/14 12:32:24 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Oh man

I'm headed back south in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on getting to Big Boys this time. I wonder what you might recommend there, since it's not a buffet.

David

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/11/14 13:14:01 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Oh man

I'm headed back south in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on getting to Big Boys this time. I wonder what you might recommend there, since it's not a buffet.

David

We enjoyed the pulled pork and ribs. Definetely get that along with the hash and rice and their mac n cheese and collards are solid. If you have a big appetite, then check out their gumbo and oxtails. I'd avoid the pigs feet.
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/11/14 14:42:59 (permalink)
Thanks. I was thinking about the ribs and brisket, which I think Michael Stern reviewed. I've never been a big hash fan, so I don't know if I'll do that. I'll most likely get the gumbo for a side. I don't think I saw a ribs and pulled pork combo on the menu.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1987
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/11/14 15:07:25 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: August 2016 North and South Carolina and Savannah Trip 2016/11/14 15:40:09 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Thanks. I was thinking about the ribs and brisket, which I think Michael Stern reviewed. I've never been a big hash fan, so I don't know if I'll do that. I'll most likely get the gumbo for a side. I don't think I saw a ribs and pulled pork combo on the menu.

I usually avoid brisket when I'm down south. I usually leave that for  Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas City but if Michael Stern says it's good then it probably is. I usually just rely on the traditional in order to compare to other places. I'm not sure if there is a combo, but if you ask for the owner, Eddie, he might give you a sample.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5