Helpful ReplyHot!Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be...

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8522
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/12 19:44:23 (permalink)
That plate looks amazing!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/13 10:07:26 (permalink)
CP-
The Hawaiian bbq place looks really interesting. 

Do you think the locals will support it?  I have my doubts whether it would survive in my area, no matter how good it is.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/13 10:23:47 (permalink)
buffetbuster
CP-
The Hawaiian bbq place looks really interesting. 

Do you think the locals will support it?  I have my doubts whether it would survive in my area, no matter how good it is.

Buffetbuster,, It is located just a few miles outside Fort Gordon and the dining room was full of military the day I tried it. Fort Gordon is experiencing tremendous growth since the military cyber command group was established there. Cyber security is a huge part of growth in all armed forces right now. I really hope they make it. The food is outstanding.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/14 19:42:35 (permalink)
Every city has tons of Mexican Restaurants and then there is always the place that the Hispanic patrons frequent most. In Augusta that is Taqueria El Patron. Since I first happened to find it I have become slightly obsessed with their soft tacos in wonderful corn tortillas. 
https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-el-patron-augusta
 I stopped by today in hopes of catching up on the soap opera but settled for the soccer game.

For starters I had a couple of tacos,carne asada, and an al pastor. Excellent.

Not on the menu but there was a paper sign over the service window reminding the servers that the cook had made Pozole. I had to try it and am so happy that I did. 

chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/14 19:52:05 (permalink)
On a previous visit I enjoyed a cachete taco as well as a cabeza version. Both outstanding.

And also an al pastor sopes. Buttery soft and full of flavor.

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11272
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/14 22:50:57 (permalink)
Fabulous, Chickenplucker!

I loved cabeza tacos every time I was in Tijuana....  until I found out that they were cabeza tacos. 

I could eat a bowl of that pozole right now.  Was it as rich and flavorful as it looks?  I usually order it if I see it on a menu.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/14 23:06:15 (permalink)
mar52
Fabulous, Chickenplucker!

I loved cabeza tacos every time I was in Tijuana....  until I found out that they were cabeza tacos. 

I could eat a bowl of that pozole right now.  Was it as rich and flavorful as it looks?  I usually order it if I see it on a menu.

Yes it was very rich and full of flavor. It came with an entire plate full of chopped cabbage,cilantro,onions ,and radishes to blend in also...
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/15 04:31:55 (permalink)
Wow,that pozole looks amazing!
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/17 17:23:01 (permalink)
I have been driving by Happy House Korean Restaurant for many years and until yesterday never stopped. Korean was just out of my comfort zone. Not in a bad way but I just know so little about it. I am so happy I finally wised up. After reading reviews that said the menu was in Korean and American I was ready to dive in.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/happy-house-augusta
I ordered the Bul Go Ki lunch special. That is a full size platter of tender,tasty beef. I took half of it home. 

The Miso soup was still boiling as it was served. I could have made a meal off it alone.

The Kimchi was also very good particularly the cucumber version.

I have been in this area almost 40 years and can remember when an old stainless dining car on this location was absorbed into the current building. The dining room still has the old curved ceiling. I wish it could be restored but I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive,

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 539
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/17 18:51:28 (permalink)
chickenplucker
I have been driving by Happy House Korean Restaurant for many years and until yesterday never stopped. Korean was just out of my comfort zone. Not in a bad way but I just know so little about it. I am so happy I finally wised up. After reading reviews that said the menu was in Korean and American I was ready to dive in.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/happy-house-augusta
I ordered the Bul Go Ki lunch special. That is a full size platter of tender,tasty beef. I took half of it home. 

The Miso soup was still boiling as it was served. I could have made a meal off it alone.

The Kimchi was also very good particularly the cucumber version.

I have been in this area almost 40 years and can remember when an old stainless dining car on this location was absorbed into the current building. The dining room still has the old curved ceiling. I wish it could be restored but I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive,

Very Cool CP! Nice Pics. That is a scarce late 50's DeRaffele Diner, built in New Rochelle, NY.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/03/28 18:23:22 (permalink)
I had a taste for a burger today and hadn't been to Gary's in quite a while. I have never been disappointed in the double cheeseburger. Whatever toppings or condiments you decide on the flavor of the beef shines through for me. 
https://www.yelp.com/biz/garys-hamburgers-north-augusta 

chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/20 10:13:52 (permalink)
Yesterday I was in Augusta's next door neighbor, Martinez. I visited Cleve Edmund's Bar-B-Que which has been around for 67 years . They started just across the river in Belvedere,SC so of course serve the hash over rice that this area is known for. 
http://cleveedmunds-bbq.com/history.html

They depart from the norm for this area however and make a couple of wonderful vinegar based sauces. The hot version is shown below and you can see the pepper flakes suspended throughout. This is a very tasty sauce particularly when added to the hash.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/20 15:55:27 (permalink)
Look at those ribs!  If I lived in the South, I swear it would be bbq just about everyday.  How hot was that sauce?

Thanks for the great post CP.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/20 16:36:46 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Look at those ribs!  If I lived in the South, I swear it would be bbq just about everyday.  How hot was that sauce?

Thanks for the great post CP.

Thanks BB. The sauce had a nice kick to it but wasn't a scorcher. I eat a lot of BBQ,that and collard greens. I try not to forget that I live in an absolute hotbed of both......
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7669
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/20 19:28:52 (permalink)
The sauce looks great; did the pickle slice have a little bit of sweetness?
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/20 21:15:38 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
The sauce looks great; did the pickle slice have a little bit of sweetness?

It did. Sweet and sour. Very tasty
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/21 17:32:24 (permalink)
So yesterday my son and I stopped in for a quick sandwich at the Roadfood reviewed Farmhause Burger. I had my usual, The Farmhouse which is cooked to order and includes smoke gouda,bacon,a fried egg,and Duke's mayonnaise. It has never let me down. A very good burger.

But once again I was out ordered by my son. Don't you hate when that happens? He had The Boss Hog which is slow roasted pork belly confit,pimento cheese, and bacon jam on a wheat roll. I have to give it a shot next time.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/04/21 20:15:12 (permalink)
Pork belly confit is one of Wanderingjew's favorites!!
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/05/05 16:42:54 (permalink)
It has been a long time since I had been to Luigi's until today. They are only open at lunch on Friday with dinner service Monday through Saturday. In business since 1949 under the ownership of the Ballas family. This is truly a family type place. 
http://www.luigisinc.com/
The family is Greek and the restaurant was opened originally as an Italian place because they felt southerners weren't familiar with Greek dishes. They were added later and now there is a blend of both on the menu. The restaurant is a favorite of the golf community and during The Master's Tournament a table is almost impossible to score. Jackie Gleason used to dine there regularly and legend has it he used to hustle pool players at The Sports Center next door.

I was the 1st customer today in this old school dining room.

Each booth has 1 of those old juke boxes that were connected to the main juke box. The individual ones have long stopped working but still look cool.

I started with a cup of Greek Avgolemono. It could have used a bit more chicken but the taste of lemon was perfect. 

Next a small Greek salad. I could eaten a couple of these it was so good.

I finished with a very good Italian sausage sandwich. I asked for it open face since I was wearing a dress shirt. The sausage was very tasty and worked well with the house made meat sauce.

I have to get back soon and explore more of the menu.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/05/05 19:31:46 (permalink)
What a great looking little place...good looking food, too!!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Augusta,Georgia just aint no place to be... 2017/05/05 20:38:33 (permalink)
I would cleverly distract you and steal the olive and pepperoncini from your salad.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5