Helpful ReplyAustin Oct. 2016

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/16 16:52:42 (permalink)
Ive been to Denver a few times over the past year or so -  passing through again in a couple weeks on the drive to Park City, UT. from Western Illinois.

my favorites around Denver:
VooDoo Dounut
Mexico City Lounge - cold beers and deep fried tacos
Asian Cajun - steamed,  garlicky shellfish in a bag
Guard and Grace -  top notch dinner spot -  steak, etc.
The Source -  converted brick factory -  with bars and restaurants
Zaidys Deli -  for a corned beef fix

post edited by KingCrab - 2016/05/16 16:56:21
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1085
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 07:55:47 (permalink)
KingCrab
Ive been to Denver a few times over the past year or so -  passing through again in a couple weeks on the drive to Park City, UT. from Western Illinois.
 my favorites around Denver:
VooDoo Dounut
Mexico City Lounge - cold beers and deep fried tacos
Asian Cajun - steamed,  garlicky shellfish in a bag
Guard and Grace -  top notch dinner spot -  steak, etc.
The Source -  converted brick factory -  with bars and restaurants
Zaidys Deli -  for a corned beef fix

Thanks. I just noticed that they have a VooDoo Donuts recently. And I'm always up for a corned beef fix. I had a grandmother who always had it on hand when I was a kid.

We'll be staying a few blocks from Guard and Grace. I've been giving it some thought. It's just a question of whether I want to spend that much on a single meal when, based on my online research, it looks like most of the better restaurants in Denver are not very pricey, at least compared to a lot of the top restaurants in the big east coast cities.
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 10:26:58 (permalink)
I thought Guard and Grace was really good and worth the $$.  -

At Zaidys Deli  I enjoyed a # 7 (corned beef, russian dressing, slaw) - which they were glad to make me for breakfast. 

When I am in Denver in June the places that are must return visits for me for the couple meals I am in town will be Asian Cajun, Voodoo, & Mexico City Lounge.  Hoping to squeeze in at least 1 or 2 new to me places as well.

phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 11:19:28 (permalink)
KingCrab
At Zaidys Deli  I enjoyed a # 7 (corned beef, russian dressing, slaw) - which they were glad to make me for breakfast. 

Corned beef with Russian dressing and slaw on rye is extremely popular in Philadelphia. We call it a corned beef special. Still, I always get mine with just mustard.

Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 11:28:59 (permalink)
phlmaestro

I'm definitely jealous, Unlike some people here on the forum who are lucky enough  to visit Denver at least once or twice a  year, there are no plans for me to visit Denver (or for that matter any of the Rocky Mountain states) in the immediate, far...or even very far future for that matter.
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 12:06:30 (permalink)
I used to visit San Antonio occasionally for work; it is a place I really like, but it has been a while.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas the river walk is lit up for the holidays.

Regarding the German influence, you'll find it in New Braunfels (east of San Antonio) where they host the Wurstfest  in November. Very nearby is a cute small town of Gruen. They have a few well rated restaurants, one I particularly liked is the Gristmill. The epicenter for German culture is north in Fredericksburg where you'll find restaurants, beer gardens and bakeries. Back in San Antonio the locals always insisted we visit their favorite Mexican restaurant Jacala.  I never had a bad meal there. They've been serving since 1949. I always looked forward to being able to get Shiner Bock but now it is more universally available.

post edited by kozel - 2016/05/17 12:11:56
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 16:12:30 (permalink)
wanderingjew
phlmaestro

I'm definitely jealous, Unlike some people here on the forum who are lucky enough  to visit Denver at least once or twice a  year, there are no plans for me to visit Denver (or for that matter any of the Rocky Mountain states) in the immediate, far...or even very far future for that matter.

I'll tell you what, WJ, I'd gladly trade places with you and let you have the trip to Denver in exchange for even half of the roadfood you eat in any given year!

To be honest, Denver wouldn't be near the top of my list for cities to go on vacation, in part because it doesn't strike me as a great roadfood city, but it is for my wife and she's agreed to be a good trooper about going along to one barbecue place after another when we go to Texas in October. It seemed like a good trade-off to me.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 16:24:52 (permalink)
phlmaestro
wanderingjew
phlmaestro

I'll tell you what, WJ, I'd gladly trade places with you and let you have the trip to Denver in exchange for even half of the roadfood you eat in any given year!

To be honest, Denver wouldn't be near the top of my list for cities to go on vacation, in part because it doesn't strike me as a great roadfood city, but it is for my wife and she's agreed to be a good trooper about going along to one barbecue place after another when we go to Texas in October. It seemed like a good trade-off to me.

Someone is going to have to invent extra $ and vacation time for me to get back to Denver. I already have all my/our trips planned through 2018 and now my girlfriend and I are talking about doing the Canadian Maritimes, Montreal and Quebec City in 2019 for G-d sakes! I hadn't even thought about 2019 and she brought it up. I can't see getting back to Denver until at least 2020! and I'm sure Sandra will be talking Europe that year- so there goes that...

BTW- Texas- is slated for both next year and 2018- Dallas/Ft Worth for next year and Amarillo/Austin/San Antonio for 2018.
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/17 16:30:52 (permalink)
If you plan to visit Red Rocks (west of Denver in Morrison) ...

...a nearby place my son goes to is The Fort.
KenK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/18 17:46:38 (permalink)
All the above suggestions on Denver are solid.  Seeing as how you mentioned burgers at first, may I suggest Crave.  Several locations in the Denver Metro area, including LODO  (Lower Downtown Denver).http://craverealburgers.com/
KenK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/18 17:51:53 (permalink)
Oh, and you also mentioned pizza.  A unique pizza experience are the "Mountain Pies" served up by a Colorado legendary pizza place.... Beau Jo's.  Again several locations, with one in Denver.

http://www.beaujos.com/
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/18 20:24:36 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestions, Ken.

On pizza in Denver, we're staying right near a Grimaldi's. I've never been to either the original or one of the franchise locations, so I'll probably take advantage of being so close to one to try it. We may also try a place called Cart Driver. If I'm understanding what I read correctly, the entire restaurant is inside of a shipping container (the big ones that travel across the ocean on huge ships). The photos I saw of the pizzas look good and they have a clam pie that I want to try.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23238
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/05/21 21:05:55 (permalink)
phlmaestro
That's a really interesting menu at Biker Jim's, Michael. It's a possibility. What on their interests you most? 

The reindeer and the elk.

iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/06/25 14:50:06 (permalink)
Conveniently located just off I-35, right between Austin and San Antonio is the college town of San Marcos. My Dad and I had lunch at San Marcos BBQ the last time we visited two years ago. The "moist" brisket there is outstanding! We also really enjoyed the sausage ring. Highly recommended.

http://www.sanmarcosbbq.com

phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/06/25 23:24:39 (permalink)
iceomat
Conveniently located just off I-35, right between Austin and San Antonio is the college town of San Marcos. My Dad and I had lunch at San Marcos BBQ the last time we visited two years ago. The "moist" brisket there is outstanding! We also really enjoyed the sausage ring. Highly recommended.

http://www.sanmarcosbbq.com

Thanks. Looks good.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1230
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/06/28 14:01:54 (permalink)
phlmaestro
I really appreciate all that, Travelin' Man.  

Banana Pudding is one of my very favorite dishes, so Freedman's is a good possibility (coincidentally, my wife is making banana pudding to take to the Super Bowl party we're going to Sunday).

I found Westword online the other night and agree with you that it's a valuable resource. 

On Lockhart, I don't think the stop-off there will be a problem because we'll be driving back and forth between Austin and San Antonio, and it's on the way.  

Are you or anyone else on here familiar with Mr. and Mrs. G's in San Antonio? It's a soul food/meat-and-three type place that seems to get a lot of raves online. 

I haven't eaten there, but it always makes the San Antonio Reader's Choice for best soulfood in San Antonio. Saw a spot on Big Bib BBQ on Lanark which is a street off of Austin Hwy.You might google KSAT12 Big Bib BBQ to see the segment.Say the place gets packed. In my neck of the woods, there's Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo. You can hit it by going south on IH-35 and getting off at the FM1103 exit for Cibolo.Just keep going down it. When you get to the 4 way intersection with the light,make a left on Main Street and keep going down about I guess a half mile.Its on your left across the railroad tracks in an old building.
I've also heard of Chris Madrid's. San Antonio has a number of mexican places,but since you really aren't that into it, I won't bother mentioning any particular one. Also in Schertz-Cibolo-Bracken area is Grumpy's in Bracken.I've never been there, but some people  at work have. It's located in an old house on Nacodogches Road  NE of San Antonio on your right hand side as you drive it past Rolling Oaks Mall.You then cross the Cibolo Creek and round the curve. It's up just a little ways on your right,past a BBQ joint.Haven't been there though,so not sure of the name.
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/06/28 21:30:33 (permalink)
Thanks for all that Holly!
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/08/21 16:14:39 (permalink)
I just noticed for the first time that Black's BBQ of Lockhart now has a second location in Austin, and it's not that far of a ride from where we'll be staying. If I can fit in a meal there, I can then go to Smitty's and Kreuz' when I go to Lockhart. As I mentioned above, I doubt I'll have to appetite to go to all three during what will probably be my one visit to Lockhart.
It says on Black's website that the meat is smoked in Lockhart and delivered fresh to the Austin location. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried the Austin location? I'm assuming they get it over there in a timely manner. It needs to rest for a while after it's finished cooking anyway.

On comparing the menus, it looks like there are a few extra items on the Lockhart menu that are not available in Austin (chicken, baby-back ribs and pork chops). I doubt I'd order any of those anyway, but my wife might be interested in the chicken and/or pork chop.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2016/08/21 16:23:37
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2713
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/08/24 10:34:32 (permalink)
phlmaestro
I just noticed for the first time that Black's BBQ of Lockhart now has a second location in Austin, and it's not that far of a ride from where we'll be staying. If I can fit in a meal there, I can then go to Smitty's and Kreuz' when I go to Lockhart. As I mentioned above, I doubt I'll have to appetite to go to all three during what will probably be my one visit to Lockhart.
It says on Black's website that the meat is smoked in Lockhart and delivered fresh to the Austin location. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried the Austin location? I'm assuming they get it over there in a timely manner. It needs to rest for a while after it's finished cooking anyway.

On comparing the menus, it looks like there are a few extra items on the Lockhart menu that are not available in Austin (chicken, baby-back ribs and pork chops). I doubt I'd order any of those anyway, but my wife might be interested in the chicken and/or pork chop.

There are now three Black's Barbecues, two in Austin and one in Lockhart. I'd save myself for the Lockhart location if I was doing the choosing. The Austin locations are fine but not as good as the mothership. It's doable to eat at the big 3 in Lockhart. Just get a small sampling at each one. Black's is the king. Period. Their brisket and sausage is miles ahead of the competitors.
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/08/24 14:06:25 (permalink)
scrumptiouschef

There are now three Black's Barbecues, two in Austin and one in Lockhart. I'd save myself for the Lockhart location if I was doing the choosing. The Austin locations are fine but not as good as the mothership. It's doable to eat at the big 3 in Lockhart. Just get a small sampling at each one. Black's is the king. Period. Their brisket and sausage is miles ahead of the competitors.

Thank you for the advice. I'll probably take it.
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/05 13:33:46 (permalink)
I changed the name of this thread as the Denver trip is long past and the trip to Texas is getting close. I've started to think about my schedule a little more.

It looks like my wife and I will stop in Lockhart for a hopefully early lunch on Thursday, Oct. 13. We'll definitely go to Smitty's and Black's. Kreuz's will depend on whether I have any appetite left after the first two. If anyone in the area is going to be free that day, you're more than welcome to join us. Just send me a PM.

Another question ..... I work at a newspaper and our Travel section editor is from the South and has some interest in me writing about my dining experiences while in Texas. She apparently went to school down there because she told me her graduation party was held at the Salt Lick. She absolutely loves that place and I think would like me to include it if I write an article about the trip. I'm already planning on going to Lockhart and Louis Mueller in Taylor and may try to hit one of the top BBQ places right in Austin while we're there.
Can any of you give me your opinions of the Salt Lick? Is the BBQ very good or is it more about the experience? If we go, to get the full experience, do I need to go to the Driftwood location, or would Round Rock be as good?
If I do decide to go to the Salt Lick, I'll probably put out the date and time at some point soon to see if there is any interest in joining us.

Thanks again for your help.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/05 21:25:10 (permalink)
You are correct for Lockhart. Would go to Black's and Smitty's. There is also a Black's in Austin near the state capitol but I have not been to that one. Would also pick Hoover's over Threadgill's.

Have not read all the posts, but has anyone recommended Round Rock Doughnuts? They are just north of Austin near I-35 and worth the short trip. One of the best doughnut shops in the country (since 1926).  http://roundrockdonuts.com/

In San Antonio, would visit Lulu's (on Broadway) for a huge chicken fried steak and a three pound cinnamon bun. Also a good Chinese restaurant is on Broadway (oldest Chinese restaurant in Texas) Hung Fong (since 1939). Very old school Chinese. A little further up Broadway is a good neighborhood (as in CT) Italian restaurant. Sorrento. Family owned and you are treated as one of the family. Great food there.

http://www.lulusbakeryandcafe.com/Gallery

Enjoy your stay in Central Texas.
post edited by peppertree - 2016/09/05 21:55:16
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/05 21:49:24 (permalink)
If you fly to the Austin airport, you can eat at Salt Lick in the airport terminal. Go there before you pass the security point. Do not know if it is as good as Driftwood. I know that Driftwood is expensive.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-salt-lick-austin-2  You will save gas money which will help pay their high price.
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/05 22:11:22 (permalink)
Thanks for all that, Peppertree.

We're flying into San Antonio, although we've altered the trip plans a bit to spend more time in Austin and less in San Antonio, which suits me fine from an eating perspective, given that I've been able to find a lot more interesting places to eat in Austin than in San Antonio. Part of the problem with San Antonio is that we'll be staying downtown (near the Alamo) without a car (we'll have a care the entire time we're in Austin). So we'll have very limited mobility. We'll only be in San Antonio the last day and a half or so of the trip.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2016/09/05 22:13:07
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/07 10:52:48 (permalink)
Foodbme
"Wife isn't a big barbecue fan" 
"Relatively small appetite and the time constraints." 
"I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food"
"Didn't see a ton of interest as far as food." (In Denver)

Why bother going?

How about, pizza? 360 Pizza has the best (authentic NYC style) pizza and calzones in Austin. I always stop there when in Austin.
Two locations.

post edited by Twinwillow - 2016/09/07 10:55:47
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/07 10:58:09 (permalink)
Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 1084
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/07 15:54:14 (permalink)
phlmaestro
Another question ..... I work at a newspaper and our Travel section editor is from the South and has some interest in me writing about my dining experiences while in Texas. She apparently went to school down there because she told me her graduation party was held at the Salt Lick. She absolutely loves that place and I think would like me to include it if I write an article about the trip. I'm already planning on going to Lockhart and Louis Mueller in Taylor and may try to hit one of the top BBQ places right in Austin while we're there.
Can any of you give me your opinions of the Salt Lick? Is the BBQ very good or is it more about the experience? If we go, to get the full experience, do I need to go to the Driftwood location, or would Round Rock be as good?
If I do decide to go to the Salt Lick, I'll probably put out the date and time at some point soon to see if there is any interest in joining us.

I have no direct experience of Salt Lick, but my cousin who lives in Austin said that he thought that the Salt Lick was more about the experience than the barbecue. (That weak recommendation was why I don't have direct experience.)

peppertree mentioned the Salt Lick at the Austin airport. Chris and Amy ate at that Salt Lick, and judged it on a level with Dickey's, which I consider to be damning with faint praise. Lori and I ate at the Salt Lick in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, and it was dismal.
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/07 17:05:58 (permalink)
Thanks, Ralph. I was sort of leaning against going there. You're pushing me further in that direction.

And thanks for the pizza rec. Twinwillow. I'm always looking for a good pie and it might be a nice break from barbecue. As I alluded to above, San Antonio and any concerns about it I gave earlier are less of a factor now, as we've adjusted our reservations to spend most of our time in Austin. I'm hoping to be very filled up on barbecue by the time we head south for the last day and a half.
KingT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/07 17:34:16 (permalink)
Austin has become my second home (getting married there in Nov.) and IMO the best barbecue is from the New Age spots. While places like Louie Mueller's and Snow's BBQ can hold their own, the best brisket I've ate is always in Austin. My favorite top to bottom BBQ spot there is Brown's BBQ where everything is good. Also great are Mickletwait Meats and Kerlin BBQ. La Barbecue and Franklin's have longer lines but they're not necessarily better than the spots I just mentioned, though they are fantastic.

If you like Tex-Mex, the 'Con Queso' plate at Don Juan's is that at it's finest. Carne Guisada, refried beans, and two eggs your way smothered in Queso. Now that's a Texas breakfast! Best breakfast tacos I've had there come from Taqueria Mi Trailita which is a taco trailer in a gas station lot where they're making tortillas by hand. The Migas taco is outstanding.

If you want pizza I suggest two spots. First is Via 313 which started out, and still is, a food trailer. Though they now have multiple locations. It's as close to Detroit style pie as you'll find outside the Motor City. Fantastic. Also equally good is Pieous where they're making certified Neapolitan style pizza with a bit of Texas flair added in. If you go to Pieous you must get the pastrami which is as good as I've had anywhere. Seriously. They know how to smoke in these parts so that wasn't really a surprise to me. Can check out my past reports in the trip reports thread or by clicking link below.

http://chibbqking.blogspo...ig-in-austin-pt-3.html
post edited by KingT - 2016/09/07 17:37:40
phlmaestro
Re: Austin/San Antonio and Denver 2016/09/07 18:07:31 (permalink)
Thanks, King T. I would like to try to get to one of the major barbecue joints or trucks inside Austin that week. If I can find a highly rated place without an insanely long line, we'll give it a shot. Mickletwait Meats is one of the places on my radar. That may be my Austin barbecue stop.

I appreciate your comments, but I've been dreaming of going to Louis Mueller and the Lockhart places for so many years at this point, that there is no way I'm missing out on them.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5