Helpful ReplyHot!Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
volky
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2015/04/03 18:23:16 (permalink)
I'm gonna try Ocalafl's recipe this week. The taste of ***** **** sauce is unmistakeable. If this is it, I'm a lucky man!
hosszilla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2015/04/17 10:21:16 (permalink)
Hi,
So, which of these recipes most closely resembles Johnny & Hanges, Clixes, Goffle Grill?  I lived in Hawthorne NJ for 25 years, and miss going to these places every week.  I'd like to try the one that most people think tastes authentic.  I have had J & H in the last year, and the flavor does have cinnamon.  I amsure both are good, but I would like to hear opinions if possible.  I will post back after trying.
Thanks!

hosszilla
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2015/04/18 09:37:35 (permalink)
Ok, tried the original recipe of this thread, with edits on page 3.  This is chili.  Looks like chili, smells like chili, tastes like chili.  It is definitely not Clixes or Johnny & Hanges style texas wiener sauce.  When you take J & H to go, your vehicle has the smell of the sauce for days, it is distinct, and immediately makes your mouth water.  When I made this last night, and went outside to get a beer, coming in, the house smelled like chili.  Putting it on Sabretts, tasted like chili.  An authentic Clixes style sauce should not have tomato paste (or less than the 12 oz per 2 lb meat).  It made it too sweet.  And maybe less cumin and chili powder.  We spent a lot of time at Clixes, I would go there on my bike, we had baseball dinners from there.  We used to fish in the same lake in Quebec as one of the sons (I believe the one who passed, RIP), and my dad had an open invitation to go with him fishing there.  Wish I could find that great recipe, works on dogs, burgers, fries, etc.
hosszilla
Junior Burger
Re: Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2015/04/27 08:07:18 (permalink)
Tried the second recipe attached to this thread.  That was closer, but still not there.  Too much chili sauce, gave it too much of a rich tomato flavor.  Will try it again, cutting the chili sauce in half, and adding something to replace it.
OneEyedWilly
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2017/05/28 11:27:02 (permalink)
WHAT DO YOU DEEP FRY THE HOT DOGS IN ?
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2017/05/28 11:43:05 (permalink)
Oil? Probably canola.
OneEyedWilly
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2017/07/16 11:47:47 (permalink)
I'M NOT A VERY SMART MAN AND REALLY NOT A COOK BUT WHAT IF YOU USE ONLY ONE POUND OF GROUND BEEF HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE INGREDIENTS ?
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 141
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2017/09/30 16:25:45 (permalink)
Recently I tried a simple texas weiner style sauce that came out well. I see through many posts and recipes for the "authentic" version that whatever way you choose to make it it had to have certain characteristics to get it to whatever authentic version you remembered. I can't imagine the old Greek getting too complex and time consuming when he made his batch. I do remember it had a looser consistency and little or no meat. Reddish, somewhat salty, spicy, yes, yes, yes.

My latest trial was to get a can (14 oz) of broth. I used chicken, low sodium. Heated this up in a small saucepan then tasted. Not enough salt...added 1 tsp. Good. My standby spice pepper is the coarse ground red pepper powder I get at asian markets. Added two rounded Tablespoons. After it bubbled a while I added three tablespoon of dissolved corn starch. (I added two at first then needed one more). Things started looking real good but I couldn't stop yet so I added 1 tsp vinegar and a pinch of cayenne. A few more things like garlic powder may be added but this was simple with minimal ingredients and low cost. It was ready in less than a half an hour. The hot dogs were grilled, buns steamed, and mustard and much minced onions were added prior to pouring on the sauce. May not have been "authentic" but darned good and simple to make.
OneEyedWilly
Junior Burger
Re: Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2017/11/02 10:29:14 (permalink)
I DON'T HAVE 3/4 TABLESPOON WHAT DO I USE ?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2017/11/02 14:09:09 (permalink)
Order one from Amazon.com.  They sell everything!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5