Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef

Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 914
2015/04/10 03:17:24 (permalink)

Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef

We were coming back through Pennsylvania and wanted to get something quick, so we decided to hit one of the Roy Rogers. Was that ever a mistake.

I've never had a disappointing sandwich from them, but I'd heard the quality had been slipping in recent years.

We both got a roast beef, and not only did it take almost 10 minutes, it was so dry and overdone it was nearly inedible. If we have to eat there again we'll stick with the burgers, but that's sad because their roast beef used to be outstanding.

13 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8662
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/10 08:24:21 (permalink)
    Awful Roy Rogers Roast Beef...Arrrbys?
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5494
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/10 10:21:15 (permalink)
    Roney's should be open this summer, Bonk :-)
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/10 19:06:29 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson
    Roney's should be open this summer, Bonk :-)

Thank God for that.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7054
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/11 07:54:03 (permalink)
    Bonk
    We were coming back through Pennsylvania and wanted to get something quick, so we decided to hit one of the Roy Rogers. Was that ever a mistake.

I've never had a disappointing sandwich from them, but I'd heard the quality had been slipping in recent years.

We both got a roast beef, and not only did it take almost 10 minutes, it was so dry and overdone it was nearly inedible. If we have to eat there again we'll stick with the burgers, but that's sad because their roast beef used to be outstanding.

I have absolutely no doubt that you patronized the Roy Rogers on the Pennsylvania Turnpike @ Somerset.  So have I.  And, like you, I regretted that unfortunate choice.  My experience there was not as bad as yours, but it was disappointing.  But, when I saw a Roy Rogers I just had to stop!

For the uninitiated:

Insight #1:  'Back in the day' when Roy Rogers Restaurants were owned by the Marriott Corporation ('70's - late '80's) if they weren't the best fast food restaurant ever, they came damned close.  After Marriott sold them to Hardees they went downhill fast and most locations ended up being closed.

Nevertheless, nostalgia for what they once were mandates a stop for those, like us, who recall them in their hey-days.

Insight #2:  America's first 'super-highway', The Pennsylvania Turnpike, still retains much of the quirkiness of its original design - including rest stops/restaurants/gas stations that are exclusively for those patronizing the turnpike.  Originally, these were what made Howard Johnson rich and famous.  Today, these stops are operated with the same level of quality and customer service that we associate with the Post Office and the DMV.

Bottom Line:  don't judge any restaurant chain by any experience you may have with them in any of their stores on the PA TPK.

---------------------

BTW:  I'll never forget my first long trip on the Pike in 1959.  I was 11 and it was a novel thrill to be driven 70 - 80 MPH uninterrupted for several hundred miles in our Pontiac Bonneville.  Today most everyone takes the Interstate Highway System for granted.  I don't.  Objectively, it is the greatest engineering feat in human history and one of the many reasons why I regard Dwight Eisenhower to be, by far, the greatest President in my lifetime.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9565
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/11 12:38:28 (permalink)
    Garden state parkway also had Roy Rogers restaurants, and our experience matches yours on the Penny Turnpike,which we have also tried and whole- heartedly agree with you!!!
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/11 20:32:52 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Bonk

I have absolutely no doubt that you patronized the Roy Rogers on the Pennsylvania Turnpike @ Somerset.  So have I.  And, like you, I regretted that unfortunate choice.  My experience there was not as bad as yours, but it was disappointing.  But, when I saw a Roy Rogers I just had to stop!

For the uninitiated:

Insight #1:  'Back in the day' when Roy Rogers Restaurants were owned by the Marriott Corporation ('70's - late '80's) if they weren't the best fast food restaurant ever, they came damned close.  After Marriott sold them to Hardees they went downhill fast and most locations ended up being closed.

Nevertheless, nostalgia for what they once were mandates a stop for those, like us, who recall them in their hey-days.

Insight #2:  America's first 'super-highway', The Pennsylvania Turnpike, still retains much of the quirkiness of its original design - including rest stops/restaurants/gas stations that are exclusively for those patronizing the turnpike.  Originally, these were what made Howard Johnson rich and famous.  Today, these stops are operated with the same level of quality and customer service that we associate with the Post Office and the DMV.

Bottom Line:  don't judge any restaurant chain by any experience you may have with them in any of their stores on the PA TPK.

---------------------

BTW:  I'll never forget my first long trip on the Pike in 1959.  I was 11 and it was a novel thrill to be driven 70 - 80 MPH uninterrupted for several hundred miles in our Pontiac Bonneville.  Today most everyone takes the Interstate Highway System for granted.  I don't.  Objectively, it is the greatest engineering feat in human history and one of the many reasons why I regard Dwight Eisenhower to be, by far, the greatest President in my lifetime.

I believe you're correct. I was on westbound I-76.

I had stopped at one in upstate NY a couple of years ago and the burger was pretty good.
    JB-ME
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/11 23:19:45 (permalink)

MetroplexJim

That is why the interstate system is named for Ike. There used to be small signs on the interstate with the official name: Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Or a variation of that. Promoting the construction/expansion of the system was a very good thing and something to applaud him for. I'm just a year younger than you, and Ike was the first president I remember. I also remember the days of only sections of the system being complete and getting dumped back on 2-lane highways, or, if lucky, 4-lane undivided highways. My dad was transferred from Massachusetts to Texas by his employer in 1958, when I was 9. That was one slow, hot trip. Quite an adventure, though, with Mom playing navigator with the maps. We had a cloth tote bag for the maps. Anyone remember paper maps, usually free at gas stations? GPS has pretty much eliminated the need for maps. Reagan was the president who released GPS from being a military-only thing to be able to be used by civilians.
    My uncle served in the Navy as a turret gunner on the Battleship Texas. Eisenhower stayed about the Texas for a while, so my uncle got to see the General. The men had a lot of respect for him.

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/12 09:02:06 (permalink)
    JB-ME

The men had a lot of respect for him.

Eight years of Peace, Justice, and Prosperity.

Here, for those interested, my cousin narrates a documentary on him for PBS.

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2163
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/14 08:29:14 (permalink)

MetroplexJim  Today most everyone takes the Interstate Highway System for granted.  I don't.  Objectively, it is the greatest engineering feat in human history and one of the many reasons why I regard Dwight Eisenhower to be, by far, the greatest President in my lifetime.

Growing up in deep rural Iowa our roads were mostly gravel, dirt, and when you went into the "city" (population 1000+) concrete or blacktop 2 lane roads, my Dad THRILLED in hitting up I-80 when it opened. Like, swearing in joy.   We would have Sundays after church where the plan for the day was to put the petal to the metal on I-80 just to drive.  Sounds silly now, but in the 60's for country dirt road kids, it was just one step before science fiction's promised flying cars.
    post edited by WarToad - 2015/04/14 08:30:37
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8662
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/14 09:26:35 (permalink)
    How'd your dad manage to fit everybody on the John Deere?
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2163
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/14 09:55:25 (permalink)
    LOL!  Pickup truck.  I swear half the time we rode in back.  In fact, we had lawn chairs we rode in back.  You know, to be safe. 
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5496
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/14 13:36:50 (permalink)
    That's an awesome story WarToad. I wonder if Ike did the same thing when he first got to the Autobahn.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Awful Roy Rogers' roast beef 2015/04/14 16:13:36 (permalink)

JRPfeff
    I wonder if Ike did the same thing when he first got to the Autobahn.

In fact, the 'limited access' aspect of the autobahnen influenced the design of the interstates.  And, their being a strategic transportation asset in case of a military exigency was an important part of 'selling' the plan to Congress.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5