Hot!BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6922
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/05/21 11:10:41 (permalink)
Random thoughts:

• A quarter of the way into the 2018 season I am relieved that the PIRATES are better than I thought and stand by my prediction that their G.M. will deserve a Series share and a Ring from the Astros for Cole and Morton.
  • The Yankees are better than I thought and the BoSox are amazing.  Their series' are must see T.V., but the Astros are a lock to repeat.
  •  Stick a fork in the Mets.
  •  Trading Brinson for Yellich was a huge mistake - kind of like Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn, but not as bad as Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio or Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas.  At least the Brewers got a decent position player instead of a burned-out pitcher for the future HoF.'r.
  •  And what's up with the devastating injuries to the Dodgers and Nats?  Good Lord, I'll bet the Snakes are regretting not signing J.D. Martinez!  He protected Goldschmidt and made Chase Field light up like a pinball machine.  What were they thinking?
  •  As for Harper's moaning that the Nats were playing with the Syracus roster, maybe he will be happy with the kid from their AA team in Harrrisburg.  The nineteen year old has a "lifetime" .362/.434/.609 in three years in the minors and this year had a 1.218 OPS and was averaging an RBI for every 3 AB and a HR for every 10!  (Uh, BTW, those numbers are better than Harper's at the same age).
  • BTW, where are the Yankees going to play Harper next year?
  • There is nothing sadder than seeing all those empty green seats in the Baseball Cathedral that is Camden Years.  And it will only get worse after the O's trade Machado to the Cubbies.
  • Joey Gallo will lead MLB in HR as the Rangers look up from the cellar of the AL West.
  • Last, but not least, congratulations to the Bravos for the Albies and Acuna show.  That first place will disappear as the Nats heal and incorporate Soto and Robles, but good for Atlanta in the meantime!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/05/21 11:17:15
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/05/30 14:05:21 (permalink)
The second coming of Stan Musial has arrived. 

He is only 19 and wears the 22 jersey of the Washington Nationals.

More recent 'comps' would be Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, and Wade Boggs - except with power.

------------------------------

EDIT:  I do not make such extravagant predictions often or lightly, but my first impression of this kid's swing and bat-to-ball skill reminded me of a skinny, young Wilver Dornel Stargell when I first saw him in 1962. 

Willie more than grew into his frame and became a dreadnought rather than the smooth-swinger of his youth; this kid, truly, has the makings of a Tony Gwynn with serious pop, i.e., the Musial reference.  The other night he rifled three singles with exit velocities of 106 - 112 MPH on strikes in different parts of the zone; they gave him an IBB his fourth time up.

With this kid, when the Nats get Adam Eaton, Ryan Zimmerman, and Daniel Murphy back (and Bryce Harper 'protected'!) a Nats - Astros WS looks to be a lock.  Get your bets down now, it's finally 'legal'!'

I wonder where they'll put Robles when he's ready?  Maybe the Nats won't have to re-sign the fragile, moody Harper after all.  

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/05/31 10:58:38
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1612
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/01 08:07:56 (permalink)
Jim-
Do you really think Brinson is going to be a Hall-of-Famer?  His minor league numbers are inflated from playing in the PCL, and Colorado Springs, no less.  He's batting .152 with an OBP of .198 and looks completely overmatched with zero plate discipline.  Nice fielding range, but commits a fair amount of errors.  

There must be a reason that he's been kept in the minors for 5 years and then traded.  By the time Yelich reached his age 24 season, he already had 2 1/2 years of MLB under his belt, a Gold Glove, a Silver Slugger, and batted .298 with
.376 OBP, 21 HR and 98 RBI.  He's as good as Brinson as a fielder. I think Milwaukee fleeced the Marlins on this trade.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/01 10:22:25 (permalink)
saps
Jim-
Do you really think Brinson is going to be a Hall-of-Famer?  His minor league numbers are inflated from playing in the PCL, and Colorado Springs, no less.  He's batting .152 with an OBP of .198 and looks completely overmatched with zero plate discipline.  Nice fielding range, but commits a fair amount of errors.  

There must be a reason that he's been kept in the minors for 5 years and then traded.  By the time Yelich reached his age 24 season, he already had 2 1/2 years of MLB under his belt, a Gold Glove, a Silver Slugger, and batted .298 with
.376 OBP, 21 HR and 98 RBI.  He's as good as Brinson as a fielder. I think Milwaukee fleeced the Marlins on this trade.

You could well be right; Yelich is a proven, very good, durable player and, at 26, is only now coming into his prime and playing in a hitter-friendly ballpark for a team on the rise.

In 2015 I went to several Frisco Roughriders (Rangers' AA team) games as they had some remarkable raw talent: Joey Gallo, Nomar Mazzara, Jorge Alfaro, and Brinson. 

Gallo's awesome power aside, Brinson seemed to have the best total "tool set".  I agree, it is definitely time for him to display those tools at the major league level. 
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9312
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/01 14:08:54 (permalink)
The Yankees have owned the Astros this year, easily taking the 2018 series with them!! Wasn't that impressed. Verlander is great...Altuve didn't his against us at all! Also took the most recent series this week!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/02 13:03:37 (permalink)
leethebard
The Yankees have owned the Astros this year, easily taking the 2018 series with them!! Wasn't that impressed. Verlander is great...Altuve didn't his against us at all! Also took the most recent series this week!

No doubt about it, the Yankees are both awesome and vastly entertaining. 

In the words of our President, "We'll see". 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8452
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/23 10:11:51 (permalink)
Sometimes, being unwanted by Cleveland can work in a fella's favor.

https://www.mlb.com/news/...or-brewers/c-282486592
saps
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 07:10:13 (permalink)
Jim, I don't think your prediction of Gallo leading the league in homers is going to become true.  In fact, he should be in the minors.  He's a negative WAR player right now, and outside of home runs, he is essentially useless and an example of what is wrong with baseball today.  The only thing saving him is that the Rangers are awful and people may want to see his tape measure home runs, because I doubt that they would come to watch him field, bat under .200, and get on base under a clip of .300.

It's a shame that Adrian Beltre will end up closing out his career surrounded by a bunch of slobs as the Rangers are in "tank mode".  Then again, I don't think winning is much of a priority for Beltre anyway.  He's a fun player, and he'll probably make the Hall because of his high level of play over a long period of time, but he was never dominant at his position in any given year. Don't get me wrong- I like him, I think he works hard, and he really seems to love playing.  As far as the present Hall-of-Fame is put together, he definitely should be in, but the HOF really needs an enema- and yes, that includes getting rid of guys like Bill Mazeroski, who, although a good fielder, is only in there truly because of one swing of the bat.  He needs to go along with guys like Phil Rizzuto and Red Schoendienst and many others, including more Yankees.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 08:30:00 (permalink)
Apparently the Rangers have made it known that Beltre is available, and the current hot rumor has him possibly going to Philadelphia.  Such a move would certainly fit into the Rangers' rebuilding plans.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 12:54:54 (permalink)
saps
Jim, I don't think your prediction of Gallo leading the league in homers is going to become true.  In fact, he should be in the minors.  He's a negative WAR player right now, and outside of home runs, he is essentially useless and an example of what is wrong with baseball today.  

I agree.  The first task in hitting is to make consistent contact.  The Rangers need to get a competent hitting coach and have Gallo sit with him and watch video of Miguel Cabrera and Barry Bonds.  You're right, this "thing" of swinging from the heels with two strikes is Little League crap and is ruining the game.  My goodness, look at Bryce Harper these days!  Stupid.

saps
It's a shame that Adrian Beltre will end up closing out his career surrounded by a bunch of slobs as the Rangers are in "tank mode".  Then again, I don't think winning is much of a priority for Beltre anyway.  He's a fun player, and he'll probably make the Hall because of his high level of play over a long period of time, but he was never dominant at his position in any given year. Don't get me wrong- I like him, I think he works hard, and he really seems to love playing.  As far as the present Hall-of-Fame is put together, he definitely should be in ...

Beltre has had an unusual career in that five years in the heart of his prime (26 - 30) were wasted in Seattle where he put up a league average OPS+ of 101 - low for a third baseman.  Since, he has put up 134 - together with great defense and 'team leadership'.  With his "counting stats", he's a first time on the ballot HoF'r.

saps
but the HOF really needs an enema- and yes, that includes getting rid of guys like Bill Mazeroski, who, although a good fielder, is only in there truly because of one swing of the bat.  He needs to go along with guys like Phil Rizzuto and Red Schoendienst and many others, including more Yankees.

Regarding Maz … my eyeballs told (and tell) me that he was the greatest fielding second baseman of all time.  It's nice to see both traditional and 'new school' measures confirm this fact as absolute.  His seventh game walk-off HR was just icing.

As for HoF purges, I agree that a poem by Franklin Adams (Evers, Tinker, Chance) and catchy nicknames (Rabbit Maranville) never ought to have been grounds for enshrinement.  But, "rings" do count and Scooter had eight.

But the HoF does need the proverbial enema if that what it will take to get Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens to their rightful place.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 13:21:35 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Apparently the Rangers have made it known that Beltre is available, and the current hot rumor has him possibly going to Philadelphia.  Such a move would certainly fit into the Rangers' rebuilding plans.

Beltre is staying put and the Rangers will sign him again for 2019, his age 40 season.  Presently, he's 'all they got' in the way of star-power.  And, believe me, money is no consideration down here in the land of the blazing afternoon sun.  Except, of course, when it comes for paying for a decent metro system.  It sure would be nice to take a train to the games, but Jerry Jones and the Rangers' wealthier owners love that parking revenue.

As for the Rangers rebuilding, they'll not be good again until they start playing indoors in 2020; players melt down here.  In any case, the Rangers have sucked ever since Jon Daniels won his power struggle with Nolan Ryan who took his acumen to Houston where he is doing quite well, thank you.

And the (alleged) boy genius recently slithered himself into a new contact, so "we'll see".

EDIT:  I got distracted by "other issues" above …

Bottom Line on Beltre:  as his remarkable 'walk season' with the Dodgers was followed by five mediocre years in Seattle, there was no HoF talk about Beltre when he signed with the Rangers following yet another excellent 'walk season' on a 'pillow contract' with Boston. 

Frankly, I thought Daniels was stupid signing the 32 year old for serious $$ for five years.  Was I wrong!  He led the Rangers to two consecutive WS and became 'an institution' here in the Metroplex.  He's been playing on short-term contracts since the original five years lapsed. 

Come Hell or high water, Ranger Management will see that he retires (and goes into the HoF) as a Ranger even if that costs them an extra $20 or $40 MM.  As Beltre already has banked $220 MM, he's not going anywhere; he's playing for pride and maybe some augmentation to his already HoF-worthy 'counting stats'.  (BTW, soon, he will pass Eddie Matthews and trail only Mike Schmidt in career WAR for a third baseman).  And, as Daniels has already driven one legend away he'd be on very thin ice (a bad place to be in Texas in July) if he traded away another. 

FYI: the exit off The Tom Landry Highway (I-30 between Ft. Worth and Dallas) for the Ballpark is The Nolan Ryan Expressway.  There will be a Beltre Boulevard.  Take that to the bank.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/06/25 09:45:35
saps
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 19:34:52 (permalink)
I don't have an eye test for Bill Mazeroski.  However, great fielding is vastly under-represented and overlooked by the Hall-of-Fame.  If it's the case that he's in their for his great fielding, more power to him.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 19:59:26 (permalink)
saps
However, great fielding is vastly under-represented and overlooked by the Hall-of-Fame.

Fortunately we now have the "defensive WAR" stat, and while it isn't perfect it does help to give credit to those players who were known primarily for their defense:

https://www.baseball-refe...s/WAR_def_career.shtml
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/24 20:18:07 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
The most dominant pitcher I ever saw was Sandy Koufax.  In his last four seasons he was in a class by himself, averaging 24 - 7, 300 innings, 300+K's, an ERA of 1.86, and an ERA+ of 172.

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/brewers/day-uecker-took-koufax-deep/

Nobody's perfect.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5290
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/27 09:35:13 (permalink)

Koufax? Let's talk about REAL pitchers now.

"On June 26, 1968, in the first game of a doubleheader in St. Louis, Bob Gibson shut out the Pittsburgh Pirates on four hits. St. Louis won 3-0. Gibson contributed to the Cardinals’ offense with a double and a walk in three plate appearances.

"This was Gibson’s fifth consecutive shutout. Here are Gibson’s numbers in the five games:
  • June 6 at Houston: 9 innings, no runs, three hits and two walks allowed, five strikeouts
  • June 11 at Atlanta: 9 innings, no runs, five hits and two walks allowed, four strikeouts
  • June 15 vs. Cincy: 9 innings, no runs, four hits and no walks allowed, 13 strikeouts
  • June 20 vs. Cubs: 9 innings, no runs, five hits and one walk allowed, six strikeouts
  • June 26 vs. Pitt: 9 innings, no runs, four hits and no walks allowed, seven strikeouts"
More at Powerlineblog.com.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/27 10:41:39 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Koufax? Let's talk about REAL pitchers now.

"On June 26, 1968, in the first game of a doubleheader in St. Louis, Bob Gibson shut out the Pittsburgh Pirates on four hits. St. Louis won 3-0. Gibson contributed to the Cardinals’ offense with a double and a walk in three plate appearances.

"This was Gibson’s fifth consecutive shutout. Here are Gibson’s numbers in the five games:
  • June 6 at Houston: 9 innings, no runs, three hits and two walks allowed, five strikeouts
  • June 11 at Atlanta: 9 innings, no runs, five hits and two walks allowed, four strikeouts
  • June 15 vs. Cincy: 9 innings, no runs, four hits and no walks allowed, 13 strikeouts
  • June 20 vs. Cubs: 9 innings, no runs, five hits and one walk allowed, six strikeouts
  • June 26 vs. Pitt: 9 innings, no runs, four hits and no walks allowed, seven strikeouts"
More at Powerlineblog.com.

No doubt about it, Bob Gibson was a truly great pitcher.  I saw him pitch several times in person, including his August, 1971 no-hitter against the soon-to-be-World Champion Pirates.  As the game was a runaway (final score 11 - 0) the Three Rivers crowd was rooting for the no-no from the seventh inning on.  He struck out Manny Sanguillen for the final out.  And, I saw him on TV many times, including the day The Great One broke his leg with a line-drive.

But, he was no Koufax.  In his four best consecutive years (including his 1.12 record-setting ERA year) he posted an ERA+ of 152.  Great, but not in the same league with Koufax' 172.

stricken_detective
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2761
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/27 14:19:33 (permalink)
I just wanted to say hi to Metroplex Jim.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/27 15:38:31 (permalink)
saps
I don't have an eye test for Bill Mazeroski.  However, great fielding is vastly under-represented and overlooked by the Hall-of-Fame.  If it's the case that he's in their for his great fielding, more power to him.

Maz was written about as a future HoF'er prior to October, 1960 and that was due to his peerless ability to turn a double play.  That, you had to see, even though his pivot and throw were so quick, it was hard to see!

--------------------------------------

stricken_detective
I just wanted to say hi to Metroplex Jim.

Hi, right back. 
I like Bob Ueker, too!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/07/01 12:06:34 (permalink)
I know that Brewers fans are excited about Jesus Aguilar.  

Compare his career track (MLB and minors) to Nelson Cruz' and you will be even more excited.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/07/09 17:55:22 (permalink)
With all the yik-yak about where Manny is going to be traded I don't hear anything about where "The $400 MM Man" is going to land (and when).  That well could be the bigger story.

• Harper is not going to be re-signed by Washington - and not because the Lerners' don't have the $$$. 
  • What they do have is Soto, Eaton, and Michael A. Taylor with Victor Robles waiting in the wings.  If the Lerners' want to increase the payroll their best move(s) would be to give Soto, Turner, and Robles deals similar to the one the Reds gave Eugenio Suarez.
  • And let's just say that the mercurial, fragile Harper doesn't have many BFF's in the clubhouse.

I'm betting that he'll be traded to the Dodgers or the Cubs before the July 31 deadline.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/07/10 07:41:03 (permalink)
Apparently the Brewers are somehow still in the running for Machado.  They have a need at SS, he wants to stay at SS, and Miller Park is hitter-friendly...but I'm still not gonna believe it 'til I see it.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/07/10 10:36:21 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Apparently the Brewers are somehow still in the running for Machado.  They have a need at SS, he wants to stay at SS, and Miller Park is hitter-friendly...but I'm still not gonna believe it 'til I see it.

Pray it doesn't happen.  The Brewers would be paying a very high price for a rental, really only to keep him from the Cubs for a few months.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5