Hot!BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6880
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/05/21 11:10:41 (permalink)
Random thoughts:

• A quarter of the way into the 2018 season I am relieved that the PIRATES are better than I thought and stand by my prediction that their G.M. will deserve a Series share and a Ring from the Astros for Cole and Morton.
  • The Yankees are better than I thought and the BoSox are amazing.  Their series' are must see T.V., but the Astros are a lock to repeat.
  •  Stick a fork in the Mets.
  •  Trading Brinson for Yellich was a huge mistake - kind of like Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn, but not as bad as Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio or Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas.  At least the Brewers got a decent position player instead of a burned-out pitcher for the future HoF.'r.
  •  And what's up with the devastating injuries to the Dodgers and Nats?  Good Lord, I'll bet the Snakes are regretting not signing J.D. Martinez!  He protected Goldschmidt and made Chase Field light up like a pinball machine.  What were they thinking?
  •  As for Harper's moaning that the Nats were playing with the Syracus roster, maybe he will be happy with the kid from their AA team in Harrrisburg.  The nineteen year old has a "lifetime" .362/.434/.609 in three years in the minors and this year had a 1.218 OPS and was averaging an RBI for every 3 AB and a HR for every 10!  (Uh, BTW, those numbers are better than Harper's at the same age).
  • BTW, where are the Yankees going to play Harper next year?
  • There is nothing sadder than seeing all those empty green seats in the Baseball Cathedral that is Camden Years.  And it will only get worse after the O's trade Machado to the Cubbies.
  • Joey Gallo will lead MLB in HR as the Rangers look up from the cellar of the AL West.
  • Last, but not least, congratulations to the Bravos for the Albies and Acuna show.  That first place will disappear as the Nats heal and incorporate Soto and Robles, but good for Atlanta in the meantime!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/05/21 11:17:15
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/05/30 14:05:21 (permalink)
The second coming of Stan Musial has arrived. 

He is only 19 and wears the 22 jersey of the Washington Nationals.

More recent 'comps' would be Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, and Wade Boggs - except with power.

------------------------------

EDIT:  I do not make such extravagant predictions often or lightly, but my first impression of this kid's swing and bat-to-ball skill reminded me of a skinny, young Wilver Dornel Stargell when I first saw him in 1962. 

Willie more than grew into his frame and became a dreadnought rather than the smooth-swinger of his youth; this kid, truly, has the makings of a Tony Gwynn with serious pop, i.e., the Musial reference.  The other night he rifled three singles with exit velocities of 106 - 112 MPH on strikes in different parts of the zone; they gave him an IBB his fourth time up.

With this kid, when the Nats get Adam Eaton, Ryan Zimmerman, and Daniel Murphy back (and Bryce Harper 'protected'!) a Nats - Astros WS looks to be a lock.  Get your bets down now, it's finally 'legal'!'

I wonder where they'll put Robles when he's ready?  Maybe the Nats won't have to re-sign the fragile, moody Harper after all.  

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/05/31 10:58:38
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/01 08:07:56 (permalink)
Jim-
Do you really think Brinson is going to be a Hall-of-Famer?  His minor league numbers are inflated from playing in the PCL, and Colorado Springs, no less.  He's batting .152 with an OBP of .198 and looks completely overmatched with zero plate discipline.  Nice fielding range, but commits a fair amount of errors.  

There must be a reason that he's been kept in the minors for 5 years and then traded.  By the time Yelich reached his age 24 season, he already had 2 1/2 years of MLB under his belt, a Gold Glove, a Silver Slugger, and batted .298 with
.376 OBP, 21 HR and 98 RBI.  He's as good as Brinson as a fielder. I think Milwaukee fleeced the Marlins on this trade.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/01 10:22:25 (permalink)
saps
Jim-
Do you really think Brinson is going to be a Hall-of-Famer?  His minor league numbers are inflated from playing in the PCL, and Colorado Springs, no less.  He's batting .152 with an OBP of .198 and looks completely overmatched with zero plate discipline.  Nice fielding range, but commits a fair amount of errors.  

There must be a reason that he's been kept in the minors for 5 years and then traded.  By the time Yelich reached his age 24 season, he already had 2 1/2 years of MLB under his belt, a Gold Glove, a Silver Slugger, and batted .298 with
.376 OBP, 21 HR and 98 RBI.  He's as good as Brinson as a fielder. I think Milwaukee fleeced the Marlins on this trade.

You could well be right; Yelich is a proven, very good, durable player and, at 26, is only now coming into his prime and playing in a hitter-friendly ballpark for a team on the rise.

In 2015 I went to several Frisco Roughriders (Rangers' AA team) games as they had some remarkable raw talent: Joey Gallo, Nomar Mazzara, Jorge Alfaro, and Brinson. 

Gallo's awesome power aside, Brinson seemed to have the best total "tool set".  I agree, it is definitely time for him to display those tools at the major league level. 
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9254
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/01 14:08:54 (permalink)
The Yankees have owned the Astros this year, easily taking the 2018 series with them!! Wasn't that impressed. Verlander is great...Altuve didn't his against us at all! Also took the most recent series this week!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/06/02 13:03:37 (permalink)
leethebard
The Yankees have owned the Astros this year, easily taking the 2018 series with them!! Wasn't that impressed. Verlander is great...Altuve didn't his against us at all! Also took the most recent series this week!

No doubt about it, the Yankees are both awesome and vastly entertaining. 

In the words of our President, "We'll see". 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5