Helpful ReplyHot!BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9650
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/07/30 19:19:03 (permalink)
harriet1954
Go Phillies! Break that mini-slump tonight!

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7096
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/08/01 09:46:15 (permalink)
I'm .

The Pirates trade two "may well be's" for a 29 year old "never was".

Glasnow "may well be" the second coming of Randy Johnson.

Meadows was already slugging .472 in the majors and will turn out to be the equivalent of a Yellich or Pollock.

Archer is well-chewed dog meat - a real challenge for Searage.

We'll see. 
But I ain't liking this at all.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8749
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/02 20:11:36 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
And, I am sad for the Brewers who will rue the day they gave up Brinson.

Perhaps that day will come, but in the meantime:

https://www.mlb.com/news/...lam-in-win/c-293018914

And while I'm no fan of the Pirates, I understand your feelings about the Chris Archer trade.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/03 12:58:40 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
MetroplexJim
And, I am sad for the Brewers who will rue the day they gave up Brinson.

Perhaps that day will come, but in the meantime:

https://www.mlb.com/news/...lam-in-win/c-293018914

And while I'm no fan of the Pirates, I understand your feelings about the Chris Archer trade.

I was actually thinking of posting the fact that I was wrong about the Brewers' acquisition of Yelich, but you beat me to it!  

Even if Brinson develops his potential (overdue at this point), the trade will still look good so long as Yelich plays half his games in Miller Smallpark.

I'm still waiting for Searage to sprinkle his fairy dust on Archer.  For that package the Bucs should have gotten Snell.

Edit:  of course, the final result of Miami's 'sell-off' has yet to be revealed.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/09/06 11:01:55
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/06 11:40:26 (permalink)
As the NFL begins, let us contemplate the true National Pastime:

And do we ever have a great season to celebrate! 
Even the Yankees have a "puncher's chance".
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/06 23:21:48 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
As the NFL begins, let us contemplate the true National Pastime:

And do we ever have a great season to celebrate! 
Even the Yankees have a "puncher's chance".

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/23 11:58:58 (permalink)
As a truly wonderful season comes to a close I really have to hand it to Billy Beane and the A's team he has assembled with chewing gum, bailing wire, and spit.

And what a magnificent history that franchise has as it has been driven by relative poverty from city to city … a true trail of tears.  Philadelphia ought never to have let them go.

When the Phillies sign Bryce Harper I will be "LMFAO".
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1199
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/24 16:28:49 (permalink)
They won't sign Harper. Either way I'm done watching. I gave up on a team who gave up two months ago. We'll see if Gabe Kapler comes back too as a manager. Most Phillies fans want his head LOL
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/25 11:26:32 (permalink)
I put the over/under at 8 years @ an AAV of $32 MM.

So, who can both afford that, have a "need", and are just stupid enough to overlook his physical  fragility and less-than-attractive personality?

BTW:  the question of five years ago, "Trout or Harper" has been answered with finality and definition.  Scroll down and check out Trout's "Hall of Fame" stats.  At 26, he's already there!  

BoSox:  no need.  Too smart.  No.

Yankees:  no need, but always greedy in a "fantasy-team sense".  But they are already paying Stanton and will have to retain Andujar, Judge, Sanchez, and Torres as they transition out of their aging, non-productive over-pays.  Further, Cashman is already smart and the Steinbrenner heirs are getting there.  So, no.

Dodgers:  will prefer signing Machado and retaining Kershaw.  No $$$ left.  Already have too many outfielders.  No!

Angels:  with little room left under the cap will prefer to extend Trout and buy pitching.

Mets:  don't know whether to defecate or go blind.  They'll try but be outbid.  What a "cluster".

Cubs:  small need, but too smart.  No.

Cardinals:  considerable need, but too smart.  No.

Atlanta:  too smart; full pipeline.  No.

Houston:  trifling need.  Too smart.  No.  Hell, no!

------------------------------------

So, who's left both with enough money and who are also just desperate enough or stupid enough to back up the Brinks Truck for a player who has averaged a 2.5 WAR over the past three seasons?

Texas:  desperate enough and will be opening a new stadium in 2020.  And Texas has no state or local income taxes, so they do have a competitive advantage.  Now that Nolan Ryan and Jeff Bannister have been forced out, the low-profile multi-billionaire owners are now cleanly focused on the (alleged) "boy genius", Jon Daniels.  Harper could well be his "Hail, Mary".  And he better do some "selling" as both the wonderful Beltre and the aging Choo have earned a higher WAR than Harper this season - despite Harper's finally knocking in 100 runs for the first time is his career.

San Francisco:  desperate and confused with a bad ballpark for Harper, who will be asking more from them due to the tax situation.  But, they will be hiring a "new age" G.M.  I doubt that he will be risking his future (and reputation) of Harper's rather dismal "advanced metrics" over the past three seasons.

Philadelphia:  has the money, has the need, and a Harper-friendly ballpark.  Could make some sense as Atlanta has had the better "tear-down, build up".  Will they roll the dice?

Toronto:  a definite possibility.  A healthy Harper would tear up the Rogers Center - and, if healthy, keep it full.  Of all teams, Harper probably makes the most sense here.

Washington:  has the money, has a bit of need.  They will (for local P.R. purposes) offer him my over/under figure but will be outbid.  As familiarity has bred contempt they will be relieved.  Their smart move would be to bid farewell to Harper and hire a real manager like, say, Jeff Bannister.

----------------------------------

So: Toronto, Philadelphia, or Texas (Dallas-Ft. Worth).

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/09/25 14:28:16
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/25 17:07:19 (permalink)
harriet1954
They won't sign Harper. Either way I'm done watching. I gave up on a team who gave up two months ago. We'll see if Gabe Kapler comes back too as a manager. Most Phillies fans want his head LOL

Clearly, you do not remember 1964!

Presently, they have a good young team - ahead of its time - and a decent pipeline.

All they need is Bryce Harper and Jeff Bannister.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/26 08:44:49 (permalink)
So, in my perfect world:

Brewers lose to Cardinals today, win last 3, finish 94-68 (best record in NL).
Rockies win last 5, finish 92-70.
Dodgers win last 4, finish 92-70.
Cardinals win last 4, finish 91-71.
Cubs lose last 5, finish 91-71.

Rockies and Dodgers have 1 game playoff for NL West, loser is WC home.
Cardinals eliminate Cubs in 1 game playoff for WC visitor.
Atlanta beats NL West winner.
Brewers beat WC winner.
Brewers beat Atlanta, go to World Series.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/26 10:43:32 (permalink)
As I love The Game, nothing would please me more than the Brewers and the A's in the WS.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 884
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/26 17:33:00 (permalink)
harriet1954

I gave up on them a couple weeks before leaving for my trip. I thought they were the worst first-place team I had ever seen before they collapsed and gave the division to the Braves. Nobody can hit .270 and they are just atrocious defensively.

And I blame a lot of it on Kapler. He is like analytics on steroids. He changes the damn lineup almost every night. A guy can be batting lead-off one night, in the middle of the lineup the next, and eighth or ninth the following (yes ... he sometimes bats the pitcher eighth). He also has half the team playing somewhere other than their natural position on defense. So is it any wonder that they look like the Bad News Bears so often?

When I see Hoskins upper-cutting at balls right over the middle of the plate, I want to scream. He should be hitting .280; not .245. But the coaches keep filling the players' heads with this new-fangled baseball where all that matters is drawing walks and hitting home runs.

Dave Kingman would have made a fortune playing today.

There has been a lot of talk about the Phils signing Harper and/or Machado, but if I were a star player, there is no way I'd want to play for Kapler.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/28 12:02:12 (permalink)
Boy, you Philly phans are rough!

I knew Kapler was bit of an old-school martinet, but I didn't see him as a phigure philbert.

If so, he is only squeezing the trigger on a gun loaded by the phront office.

Just wait until you have Harper to boo.

You should have kept the A's.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/28 12:52:03 (permalink)
There have been times when I've wished we could enter into negotiations with Oakland for a switch.

We'll take the Warriors back too.
harriet1954
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/28 16:20:57 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Boy, you Philly phans are rough!

I knew Kapler was bit of an old-school martinet, but I didn't see him as a phigure philbert.

If so, he is only squeezing the trigger on a gun loaded by the phront office.

Just wait until you have Harper to boo.

You should have kept the A's.

I don't remember the A's. I was born the year they moved out. And I don't boo anyone but the Braves and the Mets. I wouldn't boo my own team. I would just stop watching them -- which I did several weeks ago. Nobody likes Kapler -- nobody.
harriet1954
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/28 16:24:13 (permalink)
phlmaestro -- it's bad enough I've actually worked for an analytics corporation for 19 years. I don't want it in my sports team. I'll watch next year as much as I can stand. It really could've been, but it wasn't. Many people say the team is doing this on purpose because they can't stand him!!
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/28 17:21:52 (permalink)
harriet1954
phlmaestro -- it's bad enough I've actually worked for an analytics corporation for 19 years. I don't want it in my sports team. I'll watch next year as much as I can stand. It really could've been, but it wasn't. Many people say the team is doing this on purpose because they can't stand him!!

Harriet ... there is a lot of analytics used in my business too. And I accept that it may be possible that some use of analytics is almost necessary now for a baseball team to win. But that's SOME degree. Kapler goes nuts.

If he would just stop moving guys around all the time so they are playing in their natural positions and would keep a set batting order instead of moving guys up and down from night to night, that would be a good start.  The Phillies have  always had a very conservative organization that doesn't make moves on the spur of the moment. I doubt they'll get rid of Kapler after one season. But if they start to find out that free agents don't want to come here because of him, who knows?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5523
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/29 16:35:22 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
So, in my perfect world:

Brewers lose to Cardinals today, win last 3, finish 94-68 (best record in NL).
Rockies win last 5, finish 92-70.
Dodgers win last 4, finish 92-70.
Cardinals win last 4, finish 91-71.
Cubs lose last 5, finish 91-71.

Rockies and Dodgers have 1 game playoff for NL West, loser is WC home.
Cardinals eliminate Cubs in 1 game playoff for WC visitor.
Atlanta beats NL West winner.
Brewers beat WC winner.
Brewers beat Atlanta, go to World Series.

That lasted less than a day. But Milwaukee will be going into the final day of the season with a chance to win the division. I do note that the timing of the PED truck arriving at Miller Park and Braun's resurgence is simply coincidental.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/29 19:28:55 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I do note that the timing of the PED truck arriving at Miller Park and Braun's resurgence is simply coincidental.

At the time, I thought this almost surpassed Lou Gehrig in the Pantheon of speeches given by baseball players:

Fool that I am, I "bought it"; he was so freaking sincere!

Two key facts to consider:

1) Braun has never come close to 41 HR, 114 RBI, .332 BA, or an OPS+ of 166 since.

2)  Nevertheless, he continues to earn on the contract those "achievements" earned him -- $140 MM from a small-market team.  That cash had/has an opportunity cost for the franchise and its loyal fans.

---------------------------

The real question to ask him is:  "If you had it to do all over again, would you play "clean" and earn $70 MM or 'do what you did' and take home $140 MM?"

After watching the video above who could not fairly conclude the latter?

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/30 01:19:02 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I do note that the timing of the PED truck arriving at Miller Park and Braun's resurgence is simply coincidental.

The truck must've been underloaded, based on the golden sombrero he donned tonight.

Christian Yelich is 2 RBI from the NL Triple Crown right now and is about to become the first Brewer to ever win a batting title.  Throw in 21 SB, excellent defense and 2 cycles and it's no wonder he's the frontrunner for the MVP award.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/30 01:27:48 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Christian Yelich is 2 RBI from the NL Triple Crown right now ...

That only happens if the Tigers walk him twice with the bases loaded on Sunday, they sure aren't pitching to Yelich again.

But then, Game 163 may be his path to the Triple Crown.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/09/30 12:00:27 (permalink)
It's a genius move to have all the final games start simultaneously.

What a magnificent season!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/01 11:19:47 (permalink)
And now two "Game 163's"!
----------------------

Here is why I love this Game -- none of "my teams" (Pirates, Nats, Rangers) did well.  As their lack of merit was proven over the crucible of 162 games I harbor no bitterness toward the victors.  Bad calls and "B.S." evened out.  The better teams have emerged.

This is in stark contrast to this %^&(#)%^^!

Or this crap which so enraged my local colleagues:

Football is that faithless tart who "(blanked) your brains out" and led you astray; Baseball is that true, loyal, decent life-mate one cherishes more and more as the years pass.

As a fan of the Pirates, I (can and do) celebrate Yelllich and the Brewers.  This year, they beat "my" Bucs fair and square.  As a Steelers fan I cannot say the same for the Pats.

So, which sport elevates my spirit?  Which evokes my darker side?

Sadly, the NFL has devolved into a cesspool of avarice, cynicism, brain injury, and tribalism that erodes the spirit.  As a marketing gimmick they wrap themselves in the Flag, yet tolerate employees spitting upon it whilst its corporate sponsors celebrate such obscenity.

So now I turn only to our true National Pastime where I can celebrate without envy, hate or rancor the success of those who have fairly bettered "mine". 

I firmly believe that God gave us Army Captain Jackie Robinson and United States Marine Roberto Clemente to make us a better Nation.  And I thank Him.  I was a little young for Jackie, but Roberto most certainly made me a better man.

When I was a kid standing with my parents for the Anthem at Forbes Field I noticed Clemente ram-rod straight at full attention whilst the other Pirates were milling about.  I asked them why.  They answered: "Because he's a Marine".

Oh, just like Yellich's brother.  Go, Brewers!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/01 22:21:59 (permalink)
Make sure you have the sound turned on.  Somebody deserves a high five and a beer for putting this together...maybe almost as much as DeGrom deserves the Cy Young.

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1046861626559930369/video/1

harriet1954
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/02 16:24:55 (permalink)
I hope the Red Sox take it all. And, for 2019 -- go Phillies!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/02 16:28:07 (permalink)
harriet1954
I hope the Red Sox take it all. And, for 2019 -- go Phillies!

...Phillies...well,ok!!

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/02 16:33:32 (permalink)
I've still got my ticket stub from the game when the Phillies became the first franchise in pro sports history to lose their 10,000th game.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/02 20:00:25 (permalink)
phlmaestro
I've still got my ticket stub from the game when the Phillies became the first franchise in pro sports history to lose their 10,000th game.

Why the bitterness?  The Phillies had some great teams in the fairly recent past.  And you would have had more had not Ryan Howard popped his Achilles and Cliff Lee torn his UCL.

The Phillies have some great young talent and they rode high for most of the season.  All you need is a Matheny, Bannister, La Russa, Girardi, or Philadelphia native Mike Scioscia - and they're all out there and available if you insist on blaming Kapler.  

And, of course, you're going to sign Harper.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/10/02 21:42:07 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
phlmaestro

Why the bitterness?  The Phillies had some great teams in the fairly recent past.  And you would have had more had not Ryan Howard popped his Achilles and Cliff Lee torn his UCL.

The Phillies have some great young talent and they rode high for most of the season.  All you need is a Matheny, Bannister, La Russa, Girardi, or Philadelphia native Mike Scioscia - and they're all out there and available if you insist on blaming Kapler.  

And, of course, you're going to sign Harper.

I believe that was pride. not bitterness. He's an all-weather fan, unlike so many band wagon jumpers today.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/10/02 21:43:41
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5