BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread!

Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6743
2017/12/08 18:10:23 (permalink)

BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread!

With the Angels winning he Ohtani sweepstakes, the Giants (or some other desperate team) about to take a huge risk on the new, non-steroidal HR King, and the Winter Meetings about to commence -- now is the perfect time to start the annual thread about the once and now again True National Pastime of the United States of America.

The Hot Stove is officially LIT !!!

7 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2017/12/09 11:00:26 (permalink)
    Right off the bat (so to speak) Giancarlo Stanton has vetoed trades to the foolishly willing Giants and Cardinals.  Evidently, he wants to be a Dodger.  Trouble is that the Dodgers are already paying the largest 'luxury tax' in MLB, though it would give them a chance to dump the mercurial Puig.  I'm sure that Mattingly is already having flashbacks and night terrors!

But the Marlins must unload the fragile Stanton who, including last season, has only played as many as 150 games twice.  His value is presently at its max; injury prone, every game he plays for Miami presents daunting financial risk for a franchise that again finished dead last in attendance - even with their shiny ballpark, potent lineup, second place finish, and 59 dingers from the 'Big Guy'. 

What was Jeter's group thinking?  That franchise perished along with Jose Fernandez.  Loria knew that and is now at the bank, laughing at his luck in finding those suckers!

-----------------------

EDIT: As he was nearing retirement and was immediately inducted into Cooperstown, I'll leave The Great One aside in asserting that the tragic death of Jose Fernandez represented the greatest loss to 'baseball history' ever from death or disability.  Yes, consideration must be given to Pete Reiser, Herb Score, and Tony Conigliaro; Ken Hubbs, Thurman Munson, and Lyman Bostock must be mentioned - but Fernandez was a generational talent. 

He was truly awesome, the foundation of that franchise.  With him, the Marlins would have been in a dog fight with the Nats.  Without him, the Marlins are forced into a fire sale tear-down when their re-build was on the verge of sweet success. 

How many fire sales can baseball fans in one city bear?

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/12/09 16:41:48
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8108
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2017/12/10 09:03:44 (permalink)
    Apparently there's now a very good chance Stanton will be teaming up with Aaron Judge:

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/source-yankees-reach-deal-to-acquire-stanton/c-263175874

Whatever the single-season record for team strikeouts is, if the deal goes through I think the Yankees are now primed to threaten it.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/12/10 09:04:48
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8947
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2017/12/10 10:10:44 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Apparently there's now a very good chance Stanton will be teaming up with Aaron Judge:

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/source-yankees-reach-deal-to-acquire-stanton/c-263175874

Whatever the single-season record for team strikeouts is, if the deal goes through I think the Yankees are now primed to threaten it.

...along with 100 home runs just from those two.....we'll gladly take it!!!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2017/12/10 11:39:20 (permalink)
    WOW! 
    The new "Murderers' Row"!
    It's all over the internet so it must be true.

Aside from the fact that the Yankees' acquisition of Stanton makes no financial or "baseball" sense, it will be more entertaining than "The Greatest Show on Earth"! 

But why stop with Stanton?  They should get Joey Gallo from the Rangers and corner the market on exit velocity! Then the Yankees could charge a $50. separate admission to watch batting practice!  Hell, I'd pay it!

This virtually guarantees that J. D. Martinez will be signed by the BoSox.  And, with J.D. I believe that Boston would score as many - or more - runs as the Yanks and, of course, pitch and defend better.  

In any case, it's a bad day to be an Oriole, Blue Jay, or Ray fan.

EDIT:  Anyone wanting to say I started this thread too soon? 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/12/10 11:55:34
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2017/12/12 09:37:05 (permalink)
    Watching the goings-on at the Winter Meetings leaves me, a life-long Pirate fan, feeling like a Dickens character - out in the cold watching through a frosted window as the wealthy feast and make merry. 

And, as such, I feel for my brethren in Tampa, Miami, Kansas City, Oakland, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Minnesota.  Yes, some are presently riding high and brimming with optimism, but all must know that heartbreak is inevitable, that "dynasties" will forever be denied them. 

As an industry the one thing the NFL does far better than MLB is to maintain competitive balance.  If it is to sustain itself as a truly national sport with 30 teams, MLB must find a way to improve in this crucial regard.

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2017/12/28 08:54:32 (permalink)
    Well, nothing much is happening in MLB, but I saw a story this morning about Arizona's 1st. round draft pick paying off his parents' mortgage.

Turns out that he played for my alma mater, The University of Virginia.  For some reason, Mr. Jefferson's University instills grace, gratitude, and generosity in those privileged to attend.  A notable example of this was the Barber twins, Tiki & Ronde, donating $1 MM as a 'thank you' for their education. 

Here's a wonderful example of "what's going on":

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/12/28 09:10:10
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: BASEBALL 2018 - The Official Thread! 2018/01/16 10:55:59 (permalink)
    As BLACK & GOLD NATION was already numb from the Steelers' failure to hold the Jag-Offs to fewer than 42 points, the Penurious Pirates picked an excellent time to shed Cutch and the Cole Train from the payroll.

Congratulations to the Giants and Astros.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5