BASEBALL 2019 - The Official Thread

Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7061
2018/11/07 11:33:41 (permalink)

BASEBALL 2019 - The Official Thread

Even though "my teams" (Pirates, Nats, Rangers) had seasons that ranged from disappointing to dismal, 2018 was a truly wonderful season that fully restored MLB to its rightful place as the true "National Pastime".

Congratulations to the BoSox who won the "real" WS v. the Astros before they roughed up the over-SABREmetricized Dodgers.  And a special thanks to those small-market Brewers for an inspiring season.

----------------------------

So, O.K., now that 2018 is settled it's time to analyze where Harper and Machado will land.

• Team that can't afford them due to market size:  Pirates, Brewers, Royals, Athletics, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Reds, Diamondbacks, Rays, Indians, Tigers, Twins, White Sox.
  • Team that can't afford them due to prior, unfortunate signings: Angels, Mariners.
  • Teams that could afford them, but don't need them: NYY, BoSox, LAD.
  • Teams that could afford them but have too much sense:  Cards, Astros, Braves.
  • So that leaves the Phillies, Cubs, Mets, Rockies, Giants, Nats, Blue Jays, and Rangers.

I'm guessing that the Cubs outbid the Phillies, Giants, Mets, and Jays for Machado, them trade Addison Russell for pitching.

Harper is harder.  The Jays, Phils, Mets, and Rangers will outbid the Rockies and Giants.  I'm thinking either the Phillies or the Rangers - both of which are needy and have loads of cash.  Perhaps the edge will go to the Rangers who will be moving indoors in 2020 and, as they have the DH, can probably offer the 10 years Harper wants.

2 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5496
    Re: BASEBALL 2019 - The Official Thread 2018/11/07 11:41:01 (permalink)
    You just couldn't wait, eh Jim?
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7061
    Re: BASEBALL 2019 - The Official Thread 2018/11/07 12:00:25 (permalink)
    As I expected, the Nats really don't want to pay the price necessary to sign their fragile prima donna. 

At the same time, they do not want to alienate the many Nats fans who don't know of Harper's corrosive impact on the Nats' clubhouse.

So, at season's end they offered him $300 MM for 10 years knowing full well that Harper and his greedy agent would reject their kind, generous offer.

Then, the Nats "leaked" the news of their offer. 

Mission(s) accomplished.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5