Helpful ReplyBBQ By Region: What’s Your Style?

Author
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2710
2019/05/31 12:06:14 (permalink)

BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style?

https://sbmag.net/bbq-by-region-whats-your-style/

chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 859
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/05/31 12:31:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/31 13:31:26
That lady that said "a barbeque " doesn't know barbeque
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5877
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/05/31 14:29:50 (permalink)
Funny stuff. Why didn’t they describe Louisiana que?
Most of their opinions seem valid for 10 or 20 years ago, but a lot has happened lately and I’m not sure those traditional designations apply anymore.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/05/31 15:47:20 (permalink)
None of the people attached to that article, not the author or his two interview subjects, has a clue about 'Que.  They're speaking in generalizations that, as 1bbqboy points out above, are dated, uninformed, and generally inaccurate.

Lumping North and South Carolina into one category?  Ridiculous!  You can't even lump North Carolina, all by itself, into one category.  The "gold" sauce referenced is a Mustard based sauce, not mayo, and it is unique to South Carolina.  No North Carolina Pit master worth his dry rub would be caught dead using a mustard sauce.

And why on Earth did the author choose these two yahoos to interview?  He breaks the article down into five BBQ regions.  One admits she is "not an expert on Kansas City barbecue", the other guy says he's only "had a little Carolina barbecue" and "really ha(s)n’t gotten to experience" Alabama style.  And neither interviewee has tried St. Louis Style 'Que.  So how the heck are they experts worth quoting on the subject?

And where's the Chicago Aquarium Smoker BBQ which became prevalent as a result of the Great Migration?

scrumptious, as a rule, I appreciate, admire, and respect your posts.  If the goal here was to prompt debate and/or disgust; congratulations, mission accomplished.  If the aim was to provide access to a well written, thoughtful article providing great insight into the history and regional nature of BBQ; sorry buckaroo, you missed the mark.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/05/31 16:23:46 (permalink)
I thought St.L was pork steaks slathered in Maull’s. :)
They also didn’t mention Santa Maria and Red Oak.
But the judge with ADD is a good idea. Almost like fire marshal Bill.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/05/31 16:23:53 (permalink)
I thought St.L was pork steaks slathered in Maull’s. :)
They also didn’t mention Santa Maria and Red Oak.
But the judge with ADD is a good idea. Almost like fire marshal Bill.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/01 18:39:01 (permalink)
Ugh. They know nothing about 'Que. Especially Alabama. White sauce is north Alabama (although it has spread out a bit), but it's for chicken. Red Sauce with a tangy hit is the usual for pork. And St. Louis BBQ is some of the best around, even in East St. Louis' hood districts. I don't think these folks have ever had any 'Que outside of Famous Dave's.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/02 08:31:28 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Ugh. They know nothing about 'Que. Especially Alabama. White sauce is north Alabama (although it has spread out a bit), but it's for chicken. Red Sauce with a tangy hit is the usual for pork. And St. Louis BBQ is some of the best around, even in East St. Louis' hood districts. I don't think these folks have ever had any 'Que outside of Famous Dave's.

I was semi kidding about StL. No self respecting KCer would acknowledge
ANY accomplishment of the Loo.
They’ve discovered life beyond Maull’s, I agree :)
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2019/06/02 08:32:40
Root-Beer Man
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/02 13:26:21 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Root-Beer Man

I was semi kidding about StL. No self respecting KCer would acknowledge
ANY accomplishment of the Loo.
They’ve discovered life beyond Maull’s, I agree :)

Oh, yeah. StL has stepped up their game a lot from years ago when I first had their BBQ. The last time we were there we went to Salt + Smoke and it was some of the finest 'Que I have ever had anywhere! We sampled the menu, (sides and apps, too) and everything was top notch! It's one of the few places I have on my list to visit again for BBQ. Didn't hurt that they had Ski Soda on tap, either!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/10 12:02:46 (permalink)
All I know is the best bbq I had was in Mobile,Alabama. Up in Wisconsin, its grilling. After having the best I have ever had in Mobile, grilling isn't bbq. I was offered white sauce( along with other sauces) and chose all. White sauce wasn't for me, but the rest was awesome. Even picky Bob really enjoyed.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7336
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/10 13:14:37 (permalink)
Given my tastes my eyes immediately fell to the "Carolina" section.

It is such gibberish that I have a suggestion for SB Magazine to engage the next time they have space to fill re:  BBQ / Barbecue:

Root-Beer Man
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/10 13:30:55 (permalink)
ann peeples
All I know is the best bbq I had was in Mobile,Alabama. Up in Wisconsin, its grilling. After having the best I have ever had in Mobile, grilling isn't bbq. I was offered white sauce( along with other sauces) and chose all. White sauce wasn't for me, but the rest was awesome. Even picky Bob really enjoyed.

Far too many people overlook Alabama 'Que (or have just never had it). Out of all the regions Alabama is hands down my favourite. I've yet to have any bad BBQ in the state.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5598
Re: BBQ By Region: What’s Your Style? 2019/06/10 14:54:00 (permalink)
In Cincinnati, we have a lot of decently good BBQ options (no, I'm not including Montgomery Inn here :-) ) with a general mishmash of styles from elsewhere in the country......but of the representations available here, I generally like the KC style the best

I desperately want to find time to spend a few days in KC just eating and sleeping :-)
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5