BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!!

Author
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 854
2015/07/22 20:14:54 (permalink)

BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!!

This old diner had been sitting empty for several years at the corner of Barnard and Henry in downtown Savannah. Finally Sandfly BBQ at The Streamliner gave it a new lease on life. Sandfly BBQ has another location out in the community of Sandfly which I had never heard of until Clarence Thomas was named to the Supreme Court. They have a brisk business there and decided to expand. The diner has not been restored but has been well preserved in  lovingly used condition.  
I would love to see this sign at night even though only the lower part is neon.

The interior is beautiful with lots of warm wood, shiny naugahyde,and brilliant chrome.

post edited by chickenplucker - 2015/07/22 20:31:10

9 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 12115
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/22 20:23:53 (permalink)
    Very cool!  I'd love eating any kind of food in there.

But I'd want pie for dessert, not cobbler.
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/22 20:29:46 (permalink)
    Now to the main reason for stopping. The meats are cooked in a Southern Pride type smoker out back. We got there just as the doors were unlocked so were the 1st customers of the day. We started with a cup of Brunswick Stew which was just like this southern GA boy likes it. Thick and flavorful with tons of meat and vegetables. A nice spicy taste also..

I had a combo of Brisket and Pulled Pork with the pork being the clear winner today. I could tell though that the brisket could just as easily have won if it weren't cooked a little long. My sides were Baked Beans and Potato Salad. Both were homemade and delicious.

My wife almost always goes with Ribs. They were still on the smoker so did we want to wait 10 minutes? Certainly. The Ribs,The Ribs,The Ribs!!! Both of our mouths are still watering. They were thick,meaty,with a wonderful spicy rub. When you bit into them they were moist and tender but with a little pull that separated only the portion that you bit into. Best I have had in a long time. Did I mention this was my wifes plate? Her sides were Collards and Baked Mac&Cheese. Both were very good.

Sauces were a mustard based,a tomato based sweet sauce,and a NC style vinegar sauce. I am a sauce nut so there is hardly ever a favorite. I eat them all.

Cant wait until my next visit to try the sausage and chicken. There is a large selection of craft and local beers available as well.

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1189
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/22 22:37:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I have a sister and her family who lives East of Savannah and my wife signed up for the Savannah marathon later this year.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/23 10:13:20 (permalink)
    This is very exciting!  My husband and I peeked in the window of the diner when it was just sitting there, derelict, probably 6-7 years ago.  At the time we visited, I believe it was owned by the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD).  They were making noises about operating it, but I don't think that ever happened -- or, if it did, it wasn't successful .

Since my father died (he lived in Hilton Head), we haven't been back to Savannah, but it's great to know the diner is in use again. 
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7264
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/23 10:35:57 (permalink)
    Good Lord, I love this.

Ground meat on a bun, encased meat in a roll, and 'stuff' on a crust can all be wonderful, but BBQ is the quintessential, archetypical AMERICAN CUISINE.

Thank you for posting
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/23 10:40:28 (permalink)
    Well.  I had The Public Kitchen on our agenda for a stop in Savannah in September, but that got changed in a hurry.  Thanks!!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9145
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/23 11:17:47 (permalink)
    mar52
    Very cool!  I'd love eating any kind of food in there.

But I'd want pie for dessert, not cobbler.

Go right ahead.  I'm having more barbecue.
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/24 11:19:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments.

Rumaki I am happy that this old diner has a new life also. SCAD has been a godsend for the historic district of Savannah. They have been able to save and repurpose countless old schools and industrial buildings that are filled with art and design students. That in turn is a boon for all the old housing in the area as well.

Heartbreaksoup. I think you will like this one...Let us know.
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: BBQ in a diner?? Dang straight!!!!! 2015/07/26 11:58:42 (permalink)
    A little more info I found about this particular diner.

The Streamliner Diner was constructed in 1938 in Worcester, Mass. After it was built, the diner was shipped to Newport, New Hampshire and was a fixture there for close to thirty-three years. The diner was moved to Savannah around 1990, and later that year the  Art Deco Societies of America honored the Savannah College of Art and Design for its restoration of the old Streamliner Diner.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5