AnsweredHot!BEST MEAL OF THE DAY!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
2014/10/07 00:26:16 (permalink)

BEST MEAL OF THE DAY!

I'm sure many of us would agree that Breakfast is the best meal of the day. And while eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc. are good, Breakfast Sandwiches offer a chance for real creativity.
Our friends at Serious Eats scoured the country to find some of the best, most creative ones.
So in an effort to play "Can You Top This?", do you have a Breakfast Sandwich Concoction that beats any of these?
If so, let's hear about them!
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/best-breakfast-sandwiches-america-usa.html
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9864
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 05:41:49 (permalink)
I'll take the potato and egg sandwich on the crusty Italian bread....but not one Pork roll,egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll in the bunch...that's a Jersey breakfast!!!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10388
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 09:20:06 (permalink)
i use leftover steak and sauteed mushrooms, mixed in scrambled eggs and topped with provolone on a hard roll.

brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1200
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 09:34:04 (permalink)
Kind of shames my breakfast taco from that nameless food truck on McNiel and Parmer. I sure want that lox and cream cheese number. My day is thusly roont.
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 09:57:54 (permalink)
Those all look good--some great (!!), especially if you leave off the aioli. (Yes, I'm a mayo=phobe.)  However, I would not buy anything from a business named EggSlut.  
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3069
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 10:02:18 (permalink)
Pine State Biscuit in Portland, Or......I'll take this any day of the week.

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11646
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 11:11:10 (permalink)
Sorry to say, none of them look good to me.......I hate breakfast.  Never eat it, don't like "breakfast foods" and especially do not like eggs.  I have tea or coffee or juice in the morning.  I know, I'm a freak, but I think I did too many brunches as a chef and just got turned off.  Permanently!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23041
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 11:52:34 (permalink)
I love breakfast, but none of those sandwiches turned me on. Nothing wrong with most of them, but I'm just not a big fan of sandwiches for breakfast.
ALL GOOD
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 13:15:42 (permalink)
LOVE the look of that gravy from Pine State Biscuit!!!!! 
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12011
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 13:19:58 (permalink)
My breakfast concoctions are most often stuffed into a tortilla.

I love breakfasts and breakfast out is even better.

Like it so much I often do it for dinner.
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1468
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 15:42:48 (permalink)
Most of them don't appeal to me.  I will eat eggs at breakfast, but only in an omelet, and it has to be cooked "dry," not runny.  Cannot stand scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, fried eggs, basted eggs, poached eggs.

So most of these wouldn't appeal, and in fact, the photos  make me feel slightly ill.

But more power to those that enjoy them.  While you are eating eggs, I'll concentrate on biscuits, or waffles, or pancakes, or even cereal.  With bacon, please -- cooked crispy and well-done.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 17:32:23 (permalink)
Generally not much of a breakfast eater....just coffee in the morning for me, BUT when I'm at the beach on vacation, for some reason I'll eat a big breakfast. Not a fan of eggs, I'll only eat an omelet. Prefer a slice of country ham, home fries and grits. Sometimes I'll go for sausage or bacon instead of ham.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5765
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 19:16:25 (permalink)
With the exception of how I might feel on some mornings, breakfast for me is unquestionably, the best meal of the day.

I must have eggs in some form accompanied by whole grain toast and (real) butter. Meat of of course is a pre-requesite breakfast element. Usually in the form of sage flavored breakfast sausage links in a natural casing. Second choice would be thick sliced applewood smoked bacon. Potatoes aren't a must but a welcome addition. Home fries are preferred but hash browns will do if need be. And of course, all washed down by a few cups of strong, French roast coffee.

Sunday breakfast must consist of a large plate of mild, fatty Scottish style smoked salmon, smoked sturgeon, and smoked whitefish. All accompanied by sliced onions, capers, and strong "Greek" olives. (yes, I'm Jewish). Oh, I forgot to say I must also have many cups that strong, French roast coffee.

LJM
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/07 19:29:49 (permalink)
Davebassman
Generally not much of a breakfast eater....just coffee in the morning for me, BUT when I'm at the beach on vacation, for some reason I'll eat a big breakfast. Not a fan of eggs, I'll only eat an omelet. Prefer a slice of country ham, home fries and grits. Sometimes I'll go for sausage or bacon instead of ham.

Pretty much the same for me.  My breakfast usually consists of a bagel and coffee.  I will usually eat a good breakfast when I'm on vacation.  A few ago, I was in Ft. Lauderdale for short vacation and discovered a great breakfast restaurant across street from hotel.  The restaurant, which just recently opened, was called FirstWatch (http://www.firstwatch.com/).  They apparently have 134 restaurants located around the country.  The cranberry nut oatmeal and multigrain pancakes were outstanding!  I highly recommend!
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2014/10/11 12:47:18 (permalink)
pnwchef
Pine State Biscuit in Portland, Or......I'll take this any day of the week.

I'd be happy with that, too. 
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 445
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/05 08:48:30 (permalink)
Once stayed with a friend's family in coal mining country in Tennessee. To them breakfast was the number one meal of the day. Every morning the mom (then in her 80's) would have a breakfast ready of eggs, biscuits, sausage gravy and real bacon. They also with this feast always served sliced tomato. At first I thought it was odd, but man, put some sausage gravy on a nice hot biscuit, top with a slice or two of tomato, and that is something ELSE!! After that, whenever I can, I have tomato with my biscuits and gravy!

noahmiller2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/25 07:03:08 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Foodbme 2016/01/20 04:44:13
I love morning breakfast which gives energy whole day. I would prefer to like eat eggs, slice of toasted bread put some mashed potato,lots of cheese on it, sausage gravy. I always eat protein full breakfast in morning.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 664
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 06:43:22 (permalink)
noahmiller2
I love morning breakfast which gives energy whole day. I would prefer to like eat eggs, slice of toasted bread put some mashed potato,lots of cheese on it, sausage gravy. I always eat protein full breakfast in morning.

Why is this spam?  The poster is expressing an opinion.  And he likes mashed potatoes for breakfast, and kevincad likes tomatoes.  I'll try it all, why not?

At home, our mother used to serve us fried eggs, which she would sometimes spread a little mayo on top.  I always liked that, and in early adulthood would sometimes ask for it in restaurants.  It always got a "that's weird" response.  One time the cook came out of the kitchen to see who would ask for such a strange thing.  I don't do it any more, though.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 08:05:14 (permalink)
easydoesit
noahmiller2

Why is this spam?  The poster is expressing an opinion.  And he likes mashed potatoes for breakfast, and kevincad likes tomatoes.  I'll try it all, why not?

Clearly "Noah Milller" is not from Nashville TN, nor is he obviously from the United States nor does he speak Engish. His posts are complete "gibberish" and don't  make any sense. The syntax and grammar is very similar to other "spammers". With the exception of very few posters over the last few years, any new posters that come in are either hot dog cart people, spammers or one and done posters who find a reference on google. Everyone else is on facebook and twitter
Incidentally it wasn't me who raised the spam flag on the spammer
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/02/26 08:34:53
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 664
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 10:45:34 (permalink)
It's clear that English is not his first language, but being from Nashville...we have a lot of immigrants everywhere.

I've seen some other posts of his, like two in the pizza thread where he is wondering if a restaurant serves "Italian" pizzas  --  seems like a silly question, but a lot of people here express the same sentiment!  (We got yer Dominos, yer Pizza Hut, yer Papa Johns too.)

And then there's pizza and apizza.. which I never heard of until this great Roadfood website.

I took his choice of words that are not exactly fitting as the kind of thing someone might struggle with as they search for a word or a thought or a concept.  I'll bet we've both talked to people from elsewhere, who might ask us, "How you say that?"

I know his posts are not particularly substantial,  but I took that as someone who is feeling his way in a new environment, maybe learning about many aspects of a new land.

Or...maybe he really is a spammer, and working his way (slowly) toward being able to post -- and then we will know for sure.

Reminds me of an old Yakov Smirnov line, when he was talking about trying to learn some nuance in the English language, and struggling to understand and remember why the expressions were not "piece of pie" and "easy as cake" instead of the reverse.

And Robin Williams in "Moscow on the Hudson," where he made a joke, and said to a friend (paraphrase), "To make a joke in another language, that's something."  Or something.

Thanks for the response.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 13:11:19 (permalink)
easydoesit-you echo my thoughts exactly. This country is made up of many diverse cultures and dialects. Hell, my cousin from N.C. corrects my pronunciation of words because they say them differently down there than here. And yes, he could be a spammer. Time will tell.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 15:30:59 (permalink)
Rather than always assume the worst and blame the low quality of posters(can't all be like them!), some people should learn to live and let live. I'm tired of constant putting people down. Want to do that, post on Yahoo. We are all equal here, and I don't care if you live day after day on roadfood, your opinion and thoughts are no better than another posters. Speak your opinions, but don' attack posters....PLEASE!!!
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1670
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 16:02:44 (permalink)
kevincad
Once stayed with a friend's family in coal mining country in Tennessee. To them breakfast was the number one meal of the day. Every morning the mom (then in her 80's) would have a breakfast ready of eggs, biscuits, sausage gravy and real bacon. They also with this feast always served sliced tomato. At first I thought it was odd, but man, put some sausage gravy on a nice hot biscuit, top with a slice or two of tomato, and that is something ELSE!! After that, whenever I can, I have tomato with my biscuits and gravy!

Interestingly, back in the old days when Cracker Barrel was new they used to serve a slice of tomato with all their breakfasts. After they got big and bought out they switched it over to orange slices. I'd much rather have a nice slice of tomato with mine, too.
Lurker
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 16:05:47 (permalink)
Take a look at the forum  going back 7, 8. 9, 10, 12 years ago. The "immigrant" posters - (yes its in quotes because theyre not immigrants', theyre spammers on the opposite side of the globe)  didn't exist- Where were they? Please tell me- answer that question.  There were certainly just as much immigrants back then, in fact there were much, much  more? Spamming on message boards hadn't caught on yet
This spammer from "Nashville" posts early, considering Nashville is about an hour behind me I'm thinking around 3 or 4am (but during daylight hours on the other side of the world)  I don't know about you, but I'm sleeping at 3 or 4 am, same with everyone else I associate with. Roadfood and posting on forums is the last thing on my mind at that hour.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 16:53:16 (permalink)
Again, time will tell.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 17:06:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2015/02/26 18:12:20
I think all the spammers no matter where they say they're from are not even on our continent.  They certainly don't know how to construct sentences.  They must be paid to spam or they're robots.

Finding free forums to tout their trash was a boom to the spammers.  If they can get hits it adds to their income.

They're scum.
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1200
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 18:10:34 (permalink)
I am here in Dahlgren in the great commonwealth of Virginia and I defy anybody to find a breakfast sandwich. Thank god for Waffle House. But fear not, I go home tomorrow to tasteless and lousy breakfast tacos.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 19:14:59 (permalink)
mar52
I think all the spammers no matter where they say they're from are not even on our continent.  They certainly don't know how to construct sentences.  They must be paid to spam or they're robots.

Finding free forums to tout their trash was a boom to the spammers.  If they can get hits it adds to their income.

They're scum.

What's his motive? What's his agenda? Is he promoting bad Grammar? Or is he just what he appears to be. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's said nothing inappropriate or bad......I don't see the need to label him "Scum" or a"hot dog cart" person. God,the anger around here. What has this poster done wrong??????? 
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 19:21:25 (permalink)
leethebard
mar52

They're scum.

What's his motive? What's his agenda? Is he promoting bad Grammar? Or is he just what he appears to be. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's said nothing inappropriate or bad......I don't see the need to label him "Scum" or a"hot dog cart" person. God,the anger around here. What has this poster done wrong??????? 

He's littering the forum with his drivel and occasionally tries to push an Italian restaurant into the fray.  He adds nothing to the conversation and just bumps threads.  For what purpose...  something to do with that Italian place in Nashville.
Lurker
Re: BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! 2015/02/26 19:54:29 (permalink)
mar52
leethebard
mar52

They're scum.

He's littering the forum with his drivel and occasionally tries to push an Italian restaurant into the fray.  He adds nothing to the conversation and just bumps threads.  For what purpose...  something to do with that Italian place in Nashville.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5