BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA!

Author
pizzatruck
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2018/01/29 19:28:11 (permalink)

BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA!

Hi, everyone, I joined the forum after reading a few threads on food truck builds. Looks like this is where i need to be. 

I looked for a place to post an introduction but couldnt find anything specific so i hope Im posting in the right area. Anyway Im looking to build a food truck to house a wood fired pizza oven. I've informed myself with the city, health department and fire chief. As far as I am aware, all they need to see for equipment is:

-2 compartment Sink
-Hand Sink
-Potable water tank (they don't care what size)
-Grey Water Tank (they don't seem to care about it being smaller or larger than the potable as long as its there)
-Hot water heater
-Floor, and walls need to be Stainless steel sheet. so it can be easily cleaned.

My equipment is:
-4000 pound wood pizza oven
-220V Spiral Dough Mixer
- 120V 6ft Undercounter Cooler

I dont see me needing anything else, so far just plumbing for the 3 sinks and electrical. The plan is to use a generator to power everything. If anyone has any suggestions on the plumbing or electrical side of things. I'd love to learn more.

I am looking at trucks but I am having trouble finding any info on these stepvans (p30, Mt45 etc..)
Specifically the payload capacity (for oven) and I understand they are 100% Aluminum but I am not so sure about the floor bracing and if they are heavy enough to support the weight of the oven. If not I could look for a chassis cab and build my own kitchen on the back to my specs. I am a welder by trade so it wouldn't be difficult. Problem is the extra time and money to do it this way. The oven itself is almost 5 feet in diameter and i would be doing all the prep on the truck. I don't want to have to big a truck as it would limit where i can park it and service around town. I think that 20 feet of kitchen space is too much but about 15-16 is about right..

just would like to know what you guys think and any advice is appreciated! Sorry for such a long post

post edited by pizzatruck - 2018/01/29 19:32:38

9 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/29 20:00:40 (permalink)
    Welcome, you might want to evaluate your need for the mixer on board, as a lot of pizza dough can be easily stored in ball form, and secondly many formulations will have you rest and proof for more than a day.  But of coarse this depends on your tested formulation, so enough said about that.  The other consideration I would have, as I did some work to quote a mobile wood oven, and that was good suspension for the oven.  As fire brick and insulation can be or become quite brittle I was concerned that vibration and shock may over time start breaking the oven apart.
    There is another site that you may already belong to, pizzamaking.com has one of the most comprehensive forums about the subject, you may want to check the shop talk sub forum for ideas and advice about mobile pizza business.

Good luck with your build, look forward to hearing about your progress.
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 592
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/29 21:00:37 (permalink)
    Around here the wood fired trucks are so big the have their own zip code.

This one has a 53 foot trailer that he takes to big festivals that has its own full kitchen.
    The truck alone was rumored to cost over 3.
    It has a staff of 4 to 8 people.

No where near as big, but still a good sized truck.

You are going to want to get some concrete ( on paper ) confirmation of those rules.

Unless you are in some small town where you are buddies with everyone and a few beers smooth over all problems.....

The issue is that there are no "laws" for food trucks in many places.
    Each jurisdiction applies what it wants to based on NFPA96 guidelines, and local / national building codes.

Because a truck is not a "building" the rules don't "technically" apply to anything.

Read through the whole forum here, and you will get a feeling for the vast differences.

Rules change from one county to another down there.

I remember reading somewhere about someone who is required to have a commissary.
    But the closest is hundreds of miles away.
    Just sayin.
    hpx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 12:13:13 (permalink)
    pizzatruck
    Hi, everyone, I joined the forum after reading a few threads on food truck builds. Looks like this is where i need to be. 

I looked for a place to post an introduction but couldnt find anything specific so i hope Im posting in the right area. Anyway Im looking to build a food truck to house a wood fired pizza oven. I've informed myself with the city, health department and fire chief. As far as I am aware, all they need to see for equipment is:

-2 compartment Sink
    -Hand Sink
    -Potable water tank (they don't care what size)
    -Grey Water Tank (they don't seem to care about it being smaller or larger than the potable as long as its there)
    -Hot water heater
    -Floor, and walls need to be Stainless steel sheet. so it can be easily cleaned.

My equipment is:
    -4000 pound wood pizza oven
    -220V Spiral Dough Mixer
    - 120V 6ft Undercounter Cooler

I dont see me needing anything else, so far just plumbing for the 3 sinks and electrical. The plan is to use a generator to power everything. If anyone has any suggestions on the plumbing or electrical side of things. I'd love to learn more.

I am looking at trucks but I am having trouble finding any info on these stepvans (p30, Mt45 etc..)
    Specifically the payload capacity (for oven) and I understand they are 100% Aluminum but I am not so sure about the floor bracing and if they are heavy enough to support the weight of the oven. If not I could look for a chassis cab and build my own kitchen on the back to my specs. I am a welder by trade so it wouldn't be difficult. Problem is the extra time and money to do it this way. The oven itself is almost 5 feet in diameter and i would be doing all the prep on the truck. I don't want to have to big a truck as it would limit where i can park it and service around town. I think that 20 feet of kitchen space is too much but about 15-16 is about right..

just would like to know what you guys think and any advice is appreciated! Sorry for such a long post

where are you located? We have pretty lax rules here in Fla but nothing like you are describing. I know of a few people that wanted to do a wood fired deal and the fire dept alone went into such hysterics. 2 sinks? I thought it was pretty much standard to need 3 sinks AND a hand wash. Same thing with the water tanks, otherwise the dirty water tank could be in danger of overflowing.

just wondering
    post edited by hpx - 2018/01/30 12:16:10
    pizzatruck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 15:06:07 (permalink)
    RodBangkok
    Welcome, you might want to evaluate your need for the mixer on board, as a lot of pizza dough can be easily stored in ball form, and secondly many formulations will have you rest and proof for more than a day.  But of coarse this depends on your tested formulation, so enough said about that.  The other consideration I would have, as I did some work to quote a mobile wood oven, and that was good suspension for the oven.  As fire brick and insulation can be or become quite brittle I was concerned that vibration and shock may over time start breaking the oven apart.
    There is another site that you may already belong to, pizzamaking.com has one of the most comprehensive forums about the subject, you may want to check the shop talk sub forum for ideas and advice about mobile pizza business.

Good luck with your build, look forward to hearing about your progress.

Hi, Actually I am a member on pizzamaking forum. I agree it makes sense to mix and ball dough of the truck (much better control of temperature and fermentation off the truck) but they actually state in the regulations that all food must be prepped on the the vehicle. I've also spoken to a few mobile wood fired operators around the USA, basically they all say you either install some sort of Air suspension or just have in mind that the oven will need to be repaired or replaced a few years down the road. I have an idea that I think might work to save the oven, my thoughts are to have the oven on a frame and platform and use semi truck cab air suspension bags under the platform to dampen and soften the beating on the oven. Just a thought. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks for the reply.

Blakkmoon
    Around here the wood fired trucks are so big the have their own zip code.

This one has a 53 foot trailer that he takes to big festivals that has its own full kitchen.
    The truck alone was rumored to cost over 3.
    It has a staff of 4 to 8 people.

No where near as big, but still a good sized truck.

You are going to want to get some concrete ( on paper ) confirmation of those rules.

Unless you are in some small town where you are buddies with everyone and a few beers smooth over all problems.....

The issue is that there are no "laws" for food trucks in many places.
    Each jurisdiction applies what it wants to based on NFPA96 guidelines, and local / national building codes.

Because a truck is not a "building" the rules don't "technically" apply to anything.

Read through the whole forum here, and you will get a feeling for the vast differences.

Rules change from one county to another down there.

I remember reading somewhere about someone who is required to have a commissary.
    But the closest is hundreds of miles away.
    Just sayin.

Hi, your truck build is actually the first one i came across here and is what got me to join, Im glad you found my posts. I took your advice and contacted my Health inspector for my area and basically asked the questions andd got written confirmation what they are looking for and regulations. All seems well. 

hpx
    where are you located? We have pretty lax rules here in Fla but nothing like you are describing. I know of a few people that wanted to do a wood fired deal and the fire dept alone went into such hysterics. 2 sinks? I thought it was pretty much standard to need 3 sinks AND a hand wash. Same thing with the water tanks, otherwise the dirty water tank could be in danger of overflowing.

just wondering

Hi I am in Ontario Canada. Went to visit the fire station and the city today. Basically the fire marshall is worried about extinguishers on board and having everything checked once a year and they have to approve the equipment on board once every year. Apparently the city just makes sure you are licensed as a vendor, have all the proper permits and permissions for where you want to be parked. They also need the fire, health and police department to sign off before issuing a license. Actually the fire marshall was saying that because I am not having propane on the truck it is going to be one less inspection and easier on them. The regulations here are 2 compartment sink (for single service utensils) and a dedicated handwash station. I asked for clarification on the size of the water tanks and there is apparently no minimum requirements.

Thank you hope to hear from you all 
    post edited by pizzatruck - 2018/01/30 15:10:46
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 592
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 17:12:27 (permalink)
    Wow
    Where in ontario is this?
    I'm in winnipeg
    Tons of rules
    hpx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 17:26:32 (permalink)
    Blakkmoon
    Wow
    Where in ontario is this?
    I'm in winnipeg
    Tons of rules

I know Blakkmoon has been repeatedly kicked in the groin all through his build. Amazing on the sinks and tanks, GET IT ALL IN WRITING BEFORE YOU START. If this this truly wood fired, where will you store all that wood? Is no one concerned about the heat of the oven warping and possibly melting the aluminum body of the truck? And the weight of this whole endeavor is huge. I wish you well and best of luck.
    Uncle Groucho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 17:32:00 (permalink)

This guy is local. He goes to other small " Local " restaurants and they do " Pop Up Pizza " He supplies the mobile pizza oven and they supply the kitchen. He does well and so do the sponsor restaurants. He also has an old RV he takes to events and he also sets up a canopy and portable sinks. He thought outside the pizza box and does well.
    Karl

RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 18:46:47 (permalink)
    With regards to oven isolation in my preliminary concept I was looking at something like these:

http://www.vibrodynamics.com

We used them to isolate plastic injection presses, so finding some for the relatively light weight of an oven should be pretty easy.  The link above is just an example, there are lots of different types and suppliers.

The only other consideration I was worried about was trying to keep the rest of a working truck relatively cool with such a hot furnace in such close proximity.  I think a lot of thought should be put into how to vent the inlet area and provide makeup air for the furnace without effecting the internal convection, yet keeping the rest of the truck cool enough to work inside.
    Pizzamaking.com is a huge resource glad you are part of it.
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: BUILDING A FOOD TRUCK WOOD FIRED PIZZA! 2018/01/30 20:33:40 (permalink)
    So I have seen these done several ways.
    First: The heavy brick oven- these are problematic as they their weight will warp the vehicle, especially on an aluminum truck. I want to say the standard math on these are 400lbs/sq-yd more than that and you risk either having to re-enforce the chassis and suspension or having it crack something. Some vehicles have a maximum weight capacity between 14000-20000lbs. You would need to find out what type of suspension and axels your truck has to see if its compatible.  
    Second: The more popular units for an inside wood oven is either a "Chicago Brick Oven Americano Wood Fired Countertop Pizza Oven" or a "Alfa Forno 4 Pizza Oven" at $2000 and $4000 prospectively. With some heavy Rock Wool insulation behind stainless walls for the cooking area. Otherwise FRP is ok for the walls.
    Third: You may need to consider how long of a start time it takes to get going. I know several trailer units that speed up their production by having a propane or NG starter for the wood fired to save on the down time between locations.

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5