Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.)

Author
Dana67
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2018/06/09 18:10:07 (permalink)

Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.)

You've been such a help with past trips!
2007 -  You might remember I even blogged this trip! Here's the link.
http://forums.roadfood.com/Dives-with-great-food-IN-amp-KY-List-so-far-m324485.aspx

2017 -  Poughkeepsie / Hudson Valley / Sandusky / SouthBend
http://forums.roadfood.com/Im-BACK-Casual-good-eats-near-Poughkeepsie-Hudson-Valley-Sandusky-SouthBend-m860735.aspx

THIS YEAR, we're heading from Chicago to Washington, D.C.
Like the Bandit, "We have a long way to go and a short time to get there" so we'll be sticking mostly to Route 70 for this trip.  But, if you know of a great place off the beaten path, we might incorporate it into our plans :)

Looking for local favorites...and amazing cheeseburgers and other casual eats diner food.
Hubby is a fish lover, too.

We'll be researching what the Stern's have to say, and I'll be sorting through the RF forum threads for the area, too.

What say you?  What should we stop for?

Thanks!

Dana67 +2

post edited by Dana67 - 2018/06/10 16:45:02

11 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8722
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Indy, Columbus, RTE 70 to Baltimore/D.C.) 2018/06/10 09:15:46 (permalink)
    While it's been a number of years since I've eaten at either of these Indy-area places, I had a good meal at each (they're posted here on RF, somewhere) and it looks like they're both still in business.

The Tamale Place is on the west side (I see they actually have 3 locations now) and Cafe Audrey is on the east.  Since the Chicago area is relatively close to Indianapolis you might not be considering an overnight stay, but if you are I suggest Fort Harrison State Park as an alternative to a typical hotel.

I'm going to be passing through Indiana in a couple of months and am giving serious thought to the Oasis Diner in Plainfield.  I've never been there so I can't offer an opinion, but it looks to me like it's worth checking out.

It sounds like you're looking to spend as little time driving as possible, but if you can spare an extra hour or 2 US-40/The National Road between Indianapolis and Richmond beats the pants off of I-70.  And you might make a Roadfood discovery of your own along the way!
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/06/10 11:03:47
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/10 16:51:51 (permalink)
    Thanks, ScreamingChicken!

UPDATE:
    I finished booking our rooms today and due to availability issues I'm shifting the trip north. 
    (We'll be doing an Indy to Newport News, VA trip soon to we'll take a look at the suggestions you gave.)

So, now I'm looking for casual eats from Chicago, Toledo, (Rt 90), to MD/DC (Rte 70)

Dana
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 868
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/10 19:44:35 (permalink)
    If you're going past Somerset, PA, the Summit Diner is just a couple blocks off the PA Turnpike and has been mentioned on here many times. In fact, I've included them as part of most of my trip reports for Pittsburgh and the Midwest over the years.

They are a classic old-time diner in appearance and specialize in all-day breakfast and pie (although they are no longer open 24-hours). I love their hash-browns and the sausage patties, which are made from scratch there.

They also make pretty good burgers.

Here is their Roadfood review:  https://roadfood.com/restaurants/summit-diner/

post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/06/10 19:45:52
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/10 22:49:49 (permalink)
    phlmaestro - We'll be driving right past the Summit Diner!  Yea! 
    We love some homemade pie.  I added it to our list :)  Thank you!

Dana

ardee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/11 12:05:04 (permalink)
    Some possibilities for your I-70 trip:

Crabill's Hamburger Shop, Urbana, Ohio
    www.crabillshamburgers.com
    15 miles north of Interstate 70 exit 52

Grimes Field Airport Cafe, Urbana, Ohio
    www.urbanaohio.com/grimes-field.html/index.php

Historic Clifton Mill Restaurant, Clifton, Ohio
    www.cliftonmill.com
    5 miles south of Interstate 70 exit 54

Young's Jersey Dairy, Yellow Springs, Ohio
    www.youngsdairy.com
    Two restaurants:  The Dairy Store for breakfast, sandwiches & ice cream
                               The Golden Jersey Inn for breakfast, lunch & dinner
    10 miles south of Interstate 70 exit 52

And some suggestions for your I-90 trip:

Howe Restaurant, Howe, Indiana
    www.howerestaurant.com
    2 miles south of Interstate 80/90 exit 121

Clay's Family Restaurant, Fremont, Indiana
    www.claysfamilyrestaurant.com
    2 miles north of Interstate 80/90 exit 144

Tony Packo's, Toledo, Ohio
    www.tonypacko.com
    NOTE - Tony Packo's has closed some of their locations in 2017 & 2018 - best to call to see which ones are still there
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12333
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/12 07:54:18 (permalink)
    In Toledo you will find Schmucker's, who put out fine versions of diner classics like hot turkey sandwiches.  They also have a long list of excellent homemade pies. 
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/23 18:53:27 (permalink)
    ardee
    Some possibilities for your I-70 trip:

Crabill's Hamburger Shop, Urbana, Ohio
    www.crabillshamburgers.com

Grimes Field Airport Cafe, Urbana, Ohio
    www.urbanaohio.com/grimes-field.html/index.php

Historic Clifton Mill Restaurant, Clifton, Ohio
    www.cliftonmill.com
    5 miles south of Interstate 70 exit 54

Young's Jersey Dairy, Yellow Springs, Ohio
    www.youngsdairy.com
    Two restaurants:  The Dairy Store for breakfast, sandwiches & ice cream
                             The Golden Jersey Inn for breakfast, lunch & dinner
    10 miles south of Interstate 70 exit 52

And some suggestions for your I-90 trip:

Howe Restaurant, Howe, Indiana
    www.howerestaurant.com
    2 miles south of Interstate 80/90 exit 121

Clay's Family Restaurant, Fremont, Indiana
    www.claysfamilyrestaurant.com
    2 miles north of Interstate 80/90 exit 144

Tony Packo's, Toledo, Ohio
    www.tonypacko.com
    NOTE - Tony Packo's has closed some of their locations in 2017 & 2018 - best to call to see which ones are still there

Ardee,
    Thanks so much!  I made note of ALL of your suggestions. 
    My husband and I are huge M*A*S*H fans, so I think the Original Tony Packo's will surely make the cut. 
    (I'll surprise my hubby!)

Dana
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/06/23 19:04:03 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    In Toledo you will find Schmucker's, who put out fine versions of diner classics like hot turkey sandwiches.  They also have a long list of excellent homemade pies. 

Buffetbuster - We love biscuits and gravy - and PIE!  SOLD!

Dana67
    Hamburger
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/08/29 11:41:50 (permalink)
    We're back - AND we hit some of your suggestions!
    I haven't uploaded the photos yet, so I'll be back with those.

Dana
    Dana67
    Hamburger
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/10/14 16:35:55 (permalink)
    OK, so no photos.  For whatever reason life got busy and they're all stuck on a new camera...and I'm just being lazy.  LOL.  

phlmaestro - We hit the Summit Diner...twice!  We hit it heading out and then made a point of stopping there again on the way back!  Friendly service, tasty food, in a diner.  Yum.  We tried the homemade scrapple!  I kinda liked the crispy edges.  If they fried all of it totally crispy I'd be in heaven!  The sausage was super delicious and the bacon was good.  Had breakfast one day, lunch the other.  Hamburgers were tasty.

ardee - We stopped at Clay's Family Restaurant...but they were closed.  :(  Ended up stopping at a truck stop.  Nothing good to say about that.  We also stopped at the Original Tony Packo's since hubby and I are big M*A*S*H* fans!  The autographs all over the pace were fun to see.  We liked the pickle chips.  The hot dog sausages were good and we liked the sauce.  Kinda reminded up of Coney Dogs..and now we're craving them.

In Maryland we went to a  Greek place that was supposed to be known for their crabcakes, but they were yucky.  So, I won't mention them.  

I took to long to get back to you guys...and now I'm straining to remember where else we ate!  If I think if anything else, I'll stop back.    THANK YOU SO MUCH for offering your suggestions and friendly advice.  You make RoadFood a welcoming place top sit for a spell.

Dana and family

phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 868
    Re: Back again! Looking for casual eats for Toledo, Cleveland, Rte 70 to MD and D.C.) 2018/10/14 21:18:31 (permalink)
    Dana,
    I'm very happy to see you enjoyed the Summit Diner. I haven't been there since I believe the summer of '17 and miss it.

Our friends from Pittsburgh went to South Bend this weekend to see Pitt play Notre Dame. They asked for a place to stop in Toledo's and I mentioned Schmucker's. They loved it and emailed some nice photos of what they ate, including several pie flavors. That's a place I'd like to get to very much.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5